FlexRAID: Horrible Experience, Don't Buy - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #91 of 95 Old 07-11-2015, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
So to be clear the failure was not of the flexraid product, but in that you overwrote a data drive with data on it with an operating system meant for an OS drive and then were not able to recover the lost data as a result of the mishap ?

If your other drives and parity drive are still in tact you might be able to recover.
Failure was of flexraid product as it did not recover my data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 95 Old 07-11-2015, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

I know this thread has been hijacked but if anyone is still interested in what happened to me, well I lost all my data on the failed drive. Thought I had single hard drive failure, but flexraid just did not work.

I tried suggestions on this thread but to no avail. Flexraid forum just completely ignored my thread and after 7 days, I just deleted my whole setup and started again. Thankfully the drive that failed just had movies and though it would be a pain in the arse to rip them all again but what can I do.

P.S: I keep separate backup of all my photos etc seperately so that is not an issue.
post #93 of 95 Old 07-11-2015, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1retap View Post
I will be moving away from FlexRAID as well. I'm going with SnapRAID. Just recently one of my drives in FlexRAID (RAID-F) was dying, so I bought a new one to replace it. I had a hell of a time using their 'known procedure' for replacing the drive. Every time I went to swap it out, it would give me some new error in the GUI. Finally after about 5 reboots and trying different methods as recommended by their forums, I got it to work. (luckily) I do like the concept of FlexRAID and I've been using it for a long time, but I'm too scared to go further with it based on my last experience.
Exactly their business model is that software should fail you when you need it and once that's done they can take you for a ride with "paid support"
htpcforever likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 95 Old 07-17-2015, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
I have unRAID and I really don't see this as an issue for most people. I needed to copy files from a drive at work, so I popped it into an external enclosure, loaded the reiser software (very lightweight and small) onto the computer at work, plugged in and just copied the files over.

The extra work was almost nothing. I can't see making a decision on which implementation to use heavily based on the need to have it be a Windows environment.

B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
I couldn't agree more. Having drives in your server that are Windows compatible is essentially a needless feature. As long as you can see the data over the network on a Windows PC then that's all you need. Besides, what if you're in a household with different types of PCs, such as a Mac, a Windows PC, Linux, etc. NTFS drives are only going to be able to connect directly to the Windows PC. Servers are meant to be used with a network connection. Let's face it, the need to pull a drive from a server and connect it directly to a PC isn't something anyone would do very often, if ever, at least for the vast majority of us. If it's something that's important to you then you should choose your server software accordingly. It's just not something that's at the top of most people's feature list. Besides, the idea of having to support yet another Windows based machine in my home isn't at all appealing to me. The software installation alone is ridiculous compared to unRAID. I can configure a bootable flash drive and install the software in about 5 minutes and be up and running before a Windows disc has finished copying over the installation files. There's also no drivers or updates to install so when it boots you're done except for some configuration settings. Configuring the server takes only as long as it takes to pick a drive from a drop down list and assign it to a slot, depending on how many drives you have installed. Of course, the first time around it will want to build parity if the disks contain any data. Otherwise you're good to go and ready to copy data to the server.

My server is also my HTPC, which runs Windows because...well...for now it is still the only real game in town. I have no problem pulling out one of my hot swap drives via the front drive bay access. Easy breazy.
post #95 of 95 Old 04-01-2017, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
switched to snapraid
The main feature I love is that the content files are easily recovered as you can have them stored on each data drive so during an OS failure it's as simple as reinstall copy and paste config and vollia as if nothing happened

unlike flexraid that was a nightmare to redo the pool each time something happened to the OS

Last edited by MasterCATZ; 04-01-2017 at 04:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page