Big WMC guide changes starting today - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 170Likes

post #601 of 944 Old 04-10-2016, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everyone. Ive spent about 2 hours trying to figure out whats going on with WMC and it seems to be related to the guide. (Wrong shows being recorded, data not updating etc). After some googling I found this thread and seems like I'm screwed. I reset WMC and now the guide won't download at all. It gets stuck on the progress bar and nothing happens. When i try to manually force it it gives me this error "Failed to retrieve nettv (Error: PackageName is invalid.)".

Is there a way to set up media center without a guide and then use something like epg123?

Any ideas? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 944 Old 04-10-2016, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Yes. Just install EPG123 without setting up the guide in WMC per the instructions on Gary's website.
JDLIVE likes this.
post #603 of 944 Old 04-10-2016, 03:01 PM

I see... hopefully this works... thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #604 of 944 Old 04-10-2016, 03:06 PM

Didn't work. The "Downloading TV Setup Data" screen still shows up and it gets stuck there.
post #605 of 944 Old 04-10-2016, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2829 Post(s)
Liked: 1374
I think you have to decline the license agreement when you run WMC setup, so WMC won't try to set up its own guide.
post #606 of 944 Old 04-10-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I think you have to decline the license agreement when you run WMC setup, so WMC won't try to set up its own guide.
yeah that's what i did... declined, but right after that the download window shows up.
post #607 of 944 Old 04-11-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzieXP View Post
yeah that's what i did... declined, but right after that the download window shows up.
Have you disabled all ehome and related services in task manager? The best bet is to boot into safe mode but I was able to inject EPG123 into WMC without doing that.

post #608 of 944 Old 05-02-2016, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 15
It seems like the idiots (I don't normally do name calling but with the hell they've put us all through they deserve it) at Rovi are at it again.

After months without all my channel numbers randomly changing as happened every week for the first several months after this horrible change, it happened again today.

Not only that, for some reason my cable provider changes some of my channel numbers every now and then and it takes weeks if not months for the changes to appear in the Rovi guide so I need to tell WMC to use the listings from different channels. However, when you combine this problem with the problem of channels changing numbers in the guide, I don't simply need to go through TV setup again and delete the channels I don't get, I need to copy the listings from other channels for those that changed, and for every single recording that's on a channel that changed I need to manually tell it to take it from the new correct channel.

Should we expect the guide to be this horrible permanently from now on? Will they ever update channel changes faster than within months of the change?
post #609 of 944 Old 05-02-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab1 View Post
It seems like the idiots (I don't normally do name calling but with the hell they've put us all through they deserve it) at Rovi are at it again.

After months without all my channel numbers randomly changing as happened every week for the first several months after this horrible change, it happened again today.

Not only that, for some reason my cable provider changes some of my channel numbers every now and then and it takes weeks if not months for the changes to appear in the Rovi guide so I need to tell WMC to use the listings from different channels. However, when you combine this problem with the problem of channels changing numbers in the guide, I don't simply need to go through TV setup again and delete the channels I don't get, I need to copy the listings from other channels for those that changed, and for every single recording that's on a channel that changed I need to manually tell it to take it from the new correct channel.

Should we expect the guide to be this horrible permanently from now on? Will they ever update channel changes faster than within months of the change?
I could tell you outright but the Mods might not appreciated it so maybe read in between the lines in my post above.

post #610 of 944 Old 05-02-2016, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2829 Post(s)
Liked: 1374
Even on OTA, Rovi is slow to update channel changes. That's where GuideTool comes in - you can move the guides to the correct channels with it.

But if you want Zap2It back, consider EPG123. It'll cost you a bit for a Schedules Direct subscription, and it sounds like sort of a pain to set up, but once you get through it you should essentially be back to pre-July.
post #611 of 944 Old 06-19-2016, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Even on OTA, Rovi is slow to update channel changes. That's where GuideTool comes in - you can move the guides to the correct channels with it.

But if you want Zap2It back, consider EPG123. It'll cost you a bit for a Schedules Direct subscription, and it sounds like sort of a pain to set up, but once you get through it you should essentially be back to pre-July.
It's actually quite easy to set up. The instructions are very clear and easy to use. A Schedules Direct subscription is only $25 per year. The only caveat is that you have to manually renew it each year. They do send out a notification well before the expiration date so it won't run out.

You'll need to get the Schedules Direct subscription first. You set your lineups on their website along with a user name and password. Once you've done that you download the latest version of EPG123. Unzip it and place it in a folder on your C: drive. You'll need to rerun Windows Media Center guided setup, but do not agree to the statement about getting guide data. Setup will continue but you won't see any guide data until you run EPG123.

Run the epg123.exe file to start the program. Enter your Schedules Direct login info and then let it connect. You then add your lineups based on what you have on the Schedules Direct website. You can add or delete channels in the lineup in EPG123, but it's best to do that initially on Schedules Direct. Set up a time for the guide data to be updated. There are a few other check boxes to check so look over the instructions to see if they apply to you. You can save the setup data and let it update automatically at the time you specified or do a save and execute to run the program and update it manually, which is preferred if it's the first time you're running it. It will take a little while to run and download the guide data, depending on how many days of data you have specified. I've got mine set up for 21 days of data. If you go out much beyond 14 days you'll just get generic descriptions of many of the shows rather than episode specific data.

If you use OTA channels you may run into an issue with some of them showing up in the guide. When HD channels first started airing, the vast majority of them were in the UHF band while their standard def counterparts remained on their original VHF frequency. When all stations were mandated to switch to all digital broadcasts, some of the stations that had been broadcasting in the UHF band switched back to their original VHF frequency. WMC will not look for these channels in the VHF band so they won't show up in the guide. You can easily add them in manually in WMC. I only had to do it for about three channels, IIRC, and I get OTA from two major markets.
post #612 of 944 Old 06-19-2016, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked: 3124
In another example of Rovi's incompetence as WMC's Guide provider, i needed to manually schedule 4 hours of Celebrity Family Feud to record tonight's pasting of the Golden Arches by the Cavs.
post #613 of 944 Old 06-19-2016, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2292 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
In another example of Rovi's incompetence as WMC's Guide provider, i needed to manually schedule 4 hours of Celebrity Family Feud to record tonight's pasting of the Golden Arches by the Cavs.
Why do you keep deleting and re-posting this?
post #614 of 944 Old 06-19-2016, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Why do you keep deleting and re-posting this?
One deletion and repost. Didn't want to get between captain_video's response to JHBrandt. Curious why you asked?

Last edited by bmcn; 06-19-2016 at 11:50 AM.
post #615 of 944 Old 06-19-2016, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2292 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Quote:
One deletion and repost. Didn't want to get between captain_video's response to JHBrandt. Curious why you asked?
I got three different email notifications for the same message. It took me a while to figure out why I wasn't seeing any new messages.
post #616 of 944 Old 06-20-2016, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Blame TiVO. Rovi is TiVO, TiVO is Rovi.

Besides, even over the air guide updates are not precise on programming over runs, yet you want someone to predict when some stupid game will run over the allotment 2 weeks in advance.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #617 of 944 Old 06-20-2016, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

Besides, even over the air guide updates are not precise on programming over runs, yet you want someone to predict when some stupid game will run over the allotment 2 weeks in advance.
I believe Rovi will actually take the TiVo name so yes, better start blaming TiVo
post #618 of 944 Old 06-20-2016, 11:41 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

There are a number of ways of determining when a game is running long; Schedules Direct has an API for that, but obviously you need the application to support extending a recording in progress.

I believe that overseas EIT data is better, so you can keep checking whether the "Now / Next" has changed, and if not, keep recording.
post #619 of 944 Old 06-20-2016, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

When is a global corporation a someone?

In the event you missed it there are 600+ posts on this thread with similar issues that have persisted for almost 1 year. Dray fan or just one of ineptitude?
post #620 of 944 Old 06-20-2016, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 698
My WMC guide didn't even know Game 7 was on.
bmcn likes this.
post #621 of 944 Old 06-20-2016, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 2156
And you were probably looking forward to the rerun of Celebrity Family Feud, too, weren't you.
bmcn likes this.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
post #622 of 944 Old 06-20-2016, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
Quote:
Ink on the Tivo - Rovi deal is barely even dry. Blame Tivo if you want, but they aren't even using Rovi data themselves yet, as far as we can tell. Hopefully Tivo subs won't tolerate Rovi's terrible data, and Rovi will have to step up and actually fix it.
JHBrandt and bmcn like this.
post #623 of 944 Old 08-12-2016, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The new incompetent guide company is literally several months behind on channel number changes my provider has made. Will they ever update channel numbers that get changed?

With the complete disaster this new company ended up being are there any plans for MS to go back to the original company where I never had a single problem in years?

Can someone repost the link where you report these issues?
post #624 of 944 Old 08-12-2016, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab1 View Post
The new incompetent guide company is literally several months behind on channel number changes my provider has made. Will they ever update channel numbers that get changed?

With the complete disaster this new company ended up being are there any plans for MS to go back to the original company where I never had a single problem in years?

Can someone repost the link where you report these issues?
Interesting; they've been spot on with the Olympics; a welcome improvement.
post #625 of 944 Old 08-12-2016, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
Send issue reports with your zip and provider to [email protected]
post #626 of 944 Old 08-12-2016, 10:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Well, hopefully things will be better soon - TiVo is switching to Rovi data soon. Or will that be TiVo data since they want to rename...

If you want to switch back to tribune, look up EPG123 - costs a few bucks though.
post #627 of 944 Old 09-13-2016, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2303 Post(s)
Liked: 4345
I can't remember how to fix this..

Win7 x32 HTPC with 4 ATSC and 1 DirecTV (capture box) tuner. Guide has stopped populating program info for the ATSC channels only. They're still IN the guide. Re-ran setup and WMC correctly determined 4 ATSC and 1 DirecTV. Set up DirecTV for East Coast Digital as I always have (no local channels). Every channel, OTA and Satellite, is correctly LISTED in the guide. I even re-did all the checkmarks under Edit Channels. So, that's all correct. Just "no data" for all the OTAs.

But.. when I look at the Guide Information Page, it only lists DirecTV.. no OTA.

Something like this always happens the day before the fall television season begins. All was well through last week.

I need a fix. Please do not suggest EPG123 as thegreenbutton reports just as many issues with it as Rovi.

Much thanks..

Your friendly moderator.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #628 of 944 Old 09-13-2016, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1950 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Plug in a different zip code entirely and let it populate. Then go back and put your correct one in.

FWIW, I have not seen anyone with EPG123 issues on this forum, including me.
post #629 of 944 Old 09-13-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
I can't remember how to fix this..

Win7 x32 HTPC with 4 ATSC and 1 DirecTV (capture box) tuner. Guide has stopped populating program info for the ATSC channels only. They're still IN the guide. Re-ran setup and WMC correctly determined 4 ATSC and 1 DirecTV. Set up DirecTV for East Coast Digital as I always have (no local channels). Every channel, OTA and Satellite, is correctly LISTED in the guide. I even re-did all the checkmarks under Edit Channels. So, that's all correct. Just "no data" for all the OTAs.

But.. when I look at the Guide Information Page, it only lists DirecTV.. no OTA.

Something like this always happens the day before the fall television season begins. All was well through last week.

I need a fix. Please do not suggest EPG123 as thegreenbutton reports just as many issues with it as Rovi.

Much thanks..

Your friendly moderator.
The issues I've had with epg123 have been mainly created by issues I was having with my machine. One was with the boot SSD being saturated with data which most likely would have caused problems with the MS guide services as well, in addition to other problems with the machine. The other time was a rogue AMD video driver and me having to get my database re-built afterwards so I'm not going to re-install that driver again.

For me, it has been a great substitute for the MicroSoft / TiVo (Rovi) guide. I'm using v1.0.0 because of some of the issues (with work arounds) for v1.0.1 needing to be fixed in code. Version 1.0.0 is very stable and gives me new and dynamic guide data every day.

That said, I seem to recall some threads with issues for set-ups like yours with OTA mixed with Hauppauge Capture Boxes. Seems it will be an issue either way for this set up.

Good Luck.

post #630 of 944 Old 09-13-2016, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2303 Post(s)
Liked: 4345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
I seem to recall some threads with issues for set-ups like yours with OTA mixed with Hauppauge Capture Boxes. Seems it will be an issue either way for this set up.

Good Luck.
Thanks. Yes, the dual source thing appears to be an issue.. one of the reasons I didn't move to EPG123 right away. This box has performed beautifully in the 5 years since I built it. I'm very reluctant to change anything. In fact, I ran the first Windows Update on the box since April in case that was causing some issues.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page