Big WMC guide changes starting today - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 170Likes

post #631 of 944 Old 09-13-2016, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2829 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
I can't remember how to fix this..

Win7 x32 HTPC with 4 ATSC and 1 DirecTV (capture box) tuner. Guide has stopped populating program info for the ATSC channels only. They're still IN the guide. Re-ran setup and WMC correctly determined 4 ATSC and 1 DirecTV. Set up DirecTV for East Coast Digital as I always have (no local channels). Every channel, OTA and Satellite, is correctly LISTED in the guide. I even re-did all the checkmarks under Edit Channels. So, that's all correct. Just "no data" for all the OTAs.

But.. when I look at the Guide Information Page, it only lists DirecTV.. no OTA.

Something like this always happens the day before the fall television season begins. All was well through last week.

I need a fix. Please do not suggest EPG123 as thegreenbutton reports just as many issues with it as Rovi.

Much thanks..

Your friendly moderator.
That sounds similar to an issue I often have. I use two guide sources: OTA and Dish. (I don't actually have a Dish capture device hooked up, but I use the Dish guides with Guidetool to fill out some OTA channels where Rovi's OTA guide is missing or unhelpful.) Sometimes my OTA quits updating even though the Dish guides stay updated.

If TornadoTJ's suggestion works, let us know; otherwise, try this. First exit Media Center, then open the Task Scheduler (in Administrative Tools), expand Task Scheduler Library / Microsoft / Windows and click (no need to expand) Media Center. Then right-click ObjectStoreRecoveryTask in the center pane and run it.

It will only run a few seconds, then it'll start MCUpdate, which will take the typical amount of time to run. Once that's done, you can start WMC again. You'll see a message about WMC fixing a problem with your setup (don't remember the exact wording). Just click OK and check your guide. It should be back to normal.
Robert Clark and DrDon like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 944 Old 09-13-2016, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1950 Post(s)
Liked: 626
When the guide changes happened (the switch to Rovi) the zip code thing was the workaround. I was guessing that this was the workaround you were looking for. I can't guarantee it'll solve the issue.
post #633 of 944 Old 09-13-2016, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked: 4340
The zip code thing oddly isn't working.. for the current zip code. I can switch it to five states away and it's fine. Here? Nope. Will try JH's method. Luckily, the backup machine (also OTA and DirecTV, but uses WinTV for DirecTV) is fine and updated with two weeks of guide data.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #634 of 944 Old 09-13-2016, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Quote:
The zip code thing oddly isn't working.. for the current zip code. I can switch it to five states away and it's fine. Here? Nope.
I've had to try a few different ones until I found one that works. I've always been lucky enough to find a good zip code close enough to me that the guide data was the same.
post #635 of 944 Old 09-13-2016, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

One would think the zip code that works on one machine would work on the other. The backup computer is fine. But it doesn't use WMC for DirecTV. Just OTA.

EDIT
Rebuild seems to have worked. Some guide data has correctly loaded. Promising.

EDIT
Spoke too soon. Now, it's lost most of the DirecTV listings. Refreshing the guide, then will try setup, again.

Last edited by DrDon; 09-13-2016 at 12:26 PM.
post #636 of 944 Old 09-13-2016, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1950 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
One would think the zip code that works on one machine would work on the other. The backup computer is fine. But it doesn't use WMC for DirecTV. Just OTA.
Well, you would think the guide would just work.
DrDon likes this.
post #637 of 944 Old 09-13-2016, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Aaaaand we're back. Thanks a ton JHBrandt.

After restarting WMC, I did get the "rebuilding" notification and let that run. Got the locals but only the first couple hundred DirecTV channels. Nothing past ESPN.
Re downloaded the guide from WMC menu. Made it to 80% and threw an error.
Re-ran TV Signal Setup (using current zip). (I do cancel "scan for add'l channels you may receive") Guide download made it to 80% and threw an error.
Manually forced guide update from system tray icon. Guide download threw the error.. BUT.. All now appears well. Bonus: I have my notes forever enshrined in this thread.

One of these days, I'll break down and get a DirecTV DVR. Holding out because I'm on a no-longer-offered package I'll lose when I change anything. But I digress.

Many thanks.

post #638 of 944 Old 09-13-2016, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Hopefully Tivo subs won't tolerate Rovi's terrible data, and Rovi will have to step up and actually fix it.
We're going to find out soon how much of Rovi's incompetence that Tivo users are going to take. There's already been plenty since the guide data switchover started.

The only hope here is that if Tivo forces Rovi to get their act together to keep their users from leaving, WMC will benefit.
6athome likes this.
post #639 of 944 Old 09-13-2016, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I often get an error when my guide downloads. Usually it seems meaningless and the guide is fine.

Looking at Event Viewer, the error seems to have something to do with downloading an obsolete part of the guide - "nettv" or something like that. It appears the guide package names are case sensitive and that it should be trying to download "NetTV" instead.

I don't even think there's anything in that part of the guide anymore - it's been a long time since WMC had any Internet channels - but for some reason MCUpdate still seems to want to download it, and complains if it doesn't work.
post #640 of 944 Old 09-13-2016, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I often get an error when my guide downloads. Usually it seems meaningless and the guide is fine.

Looking at Event Viewer, the error seems to have something to do with downloading an obsolete part of the guide - "nettv" or something like that. It appears the guide package names are case sensitive and that it should be trying to download "NetTV" instead.

I don't even think there's anything in that part of the guide anymore - it's been a long time since WMC had any Internet channels - but for some reason MCUpdate still seems to want to download it, and complains if it doesn't work.
That makes total sense as, during one of the zip code switching attempts, the thing loaded all the internet channels that have long since been removed.. CBS, etc.

post #641 of 944 Old 09-14-2016, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
We're going to find out soon how much of Rovi's incompetence that Tivo users are going to take. There's already been plenty since the guide data switchover started.

The only hope here is that if Tivo forces Rovi to get their act together to keep their users from leaving, WMC will benefit.
I have two HTPC, one runs win 7, other one 8.1 pro w/wmc. I read that Rovi had bought out Tivo and like you I was wondering how that will affect WMC, I miss the year that the movie was made, showing up in WMC.
post #642 of 944 Old 09-23-2016, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but has anybody noticed a short window on the EPG this week? I was looking ahead in the grid and noticed that the program info for some channels ends on the evening of 9/25, the info for other channels stops late on 9/29, and the furthest out we have for any channels is on 9/30. Usually of course everything goes a couple of weeks out.

Tried doing a manual guide update via WMC and it was unsuccessful.

UPDATE:There's a thread about this over at The Green Button (http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/...p?f=96&t=10345). Apparently it's been going on for several days.

Last edited by JorgeA; 09-23-2016 at 08:59 PM. Reason: additional info
post #643 of 944 Old 09-24-2016, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2216 Post(s)
Liked: 3119
Remarkable that Rovi nailed the Olympics schedule in advance, then reverted to prior form.
post #644 of 944 Old 09-24-2016, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeA View Post
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but has anybody noticed a short window on the EPG this week? I was looking ahead in the grid and noticed that the program info for some channels ends on the evening of 9/25, the info for other channels stops late on 9/29, and the furthest out we have for any channels is on 9/30. Usually of course everything goes a couple of weeks out.

Tried doing a manual guide update via WMC and it was unsuccessful.

UPDATE:There's a thread about this over at The Green Button (http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/...p?f=96&t=10345). Apparently it's been going on for several days.
This has been going on with WMC Rovi guide data for 1-2 years. For some users it would sometimes get down to only 1 or 2 days of guide data, but Microsoft always gets it fixed before it completely runs out. Since MS no longer supports WMC, it does not seem they are too concerned about guide data for a tiny fraction of their customers, and who knows when they may completely quit supplying guide data altogether.

If you get tired of Rovi, there is an alternative also here at TGB: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewforum.php?f=99

EPG123 is a free program developed by a TGB member. It uses guide data from Schedules Direct which does have a $25 annual fee, but also has a 7 day free trail.

I swithced to EPG123 about 9 months ago. The guide data has never run out like Rovi. It is more accurate than Rovi, no more 'TBA' for sporting events, late night talks shows and other shows have actual data for that show instead of a generic show description. There is a lot of support in the EPG123 subforum from the developer and users.

Living Room: Denon X3600H, XPA-5, 7.1.4 Polk RTiA9, CSiA6, FXiA4, OWM3, RSL C34E, SVS PC12+, 4 Shakers, Epson 5050, VApex 92”, Sony 65X900F, Sony X800, Xbox360, Shield, Roku Ultra, Odroid-N2Bedroom: Marantz SR6013, 5.1.2 Polk: LSiM 703, LSiM 704, RTiA1, OWM3, SVS SB12-NSD, LG OLED6B8, Xbox 360, Roku3, RPi2-RasPlex, FireStick 4K. Home Office: Onkyo 707, Polk: RTiA3, CSiA4, Monitor 70, Yamaha SW315 x 2, Turntable, Triple Monitors.
post #645 of 944 Old 09-24-2016, 09:06 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks VERY much for the info.

The first channels to run out of data end at 8PM tonight (Sunday). The "Introducing EPG123" thread runs for 64 pages with 1279 posts. All told, including resetting the series recordings, how much manual work is involved in carrying out the changeover? (In other words, what are the chances that I can have this up and running by 8PM?)

One more thing. The EPG123 User's Guide says (p. 4) that:

>>All guide customization will be lost (callsigns, channel numbers, favorite lineups, logos, ...)<<

Not sure what that means: If call signs and channel numbers are lost, then how does anybody use the program guide?

Much appreciated!
post #646 of 944 Old 09-25-2016, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 3074 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
That just means you have to set those up again. All those features still work.

As long as you start before 7:45, you should be fine.
Sammy2 likes this.
post #647 of 944 Old 09-25-2016, 09:06 AM

Whew, that's a relief!

It sounds that from start to finish the whole process of getting EPG123 ready for use doesn't take all that long?

I'll be doing that today, as last night and this morning the guide update via WMC failed, while the manual update from outside WMC managed to download the info but then stopped processing it at 92% each time.
post #648 of 944 Old 09-25-2016, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

FWIW, my WMC guide is valid thru 10/7. If yours is still failing to download, then the issue may be on your end. Mine's run rather flawlessly since performing the recommended resets a few posts up.

Let us know how it goes for you.

post #649 of 944 Old 09-25-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
FWIW, my WMC guide is valid thru 10/7. If yours is still failing to download, then the issue may be on your end. Mine's run rather flawlessly since performing the recommended resets a few posts up.

Let us know how it goes for you.
I tried the ideas given in posts 628, 631, and 637. None of them worked. The ObjectStoreRecoveryTask thing failed.

In fact, things are a little worse than before, as the guide info for the high-def cable channels (CNN, Lifetime, FX, etc.) now runs out immediately rather than at 8PM tonight.

Strangely, we have guide info for the standard-def versions of all those channels, just not for the high-def ones... the ones we're interested in recording.

Last edited by JorgeA; 09-25-2016 at 12:10 PM.
post #650 of 944 Old 09-26-2016, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I noticed the short guide too, and ObjectStoreRecoveryTask didn't help me either. At least it didn't make things any worse. I'll check again tonight and see if M$ got it fixed.

BTW, Rovi's DVR+ guide is fine, so this must be an issue with the M$ servers, not with Rovi itself. (Many of the other issues mentioned are due to Rovi, however.) Traditionally, this happens right before a Daylight Saving Time change, but this time, something else must be the problem as we're over a month away from the next DST change.

Edit: They fixed it, just in the nick of time for me. Now it goes all the way out to 10/7 and all is well again.

I see at TGB that the guide did run out for some folks overseas before it got fixed. Maybe M$ shut off updates on purpose, because Rovi has had a bunch of bad TBA entries in the guide recently, as a result of their TiVo screw-ups, and M$ figured it was better to let the guide dwindle (and give Rovi a chance to fix the problems) than to replace good entries with bad ones and cause folks to miss recordings.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 09-26-2016 at 05:31 PM.
post #651 of 944 Old 09-26-2016, 10:51 PM

Some channels started to run out of guide info before any fix came in for us, so I ended up downloading EPG123 and doing a trial subscription for Schedules Direct.

Boy, is it nice. The grid listings are even color-coded by type (sports, movie, etc.) although I haven't figured out all of the categories yet.

Thanks to @garnuts for the tip!
post #652 of 944 Old 09-26-2016, 11:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 87
FWIW, you can enable color coding of the guide with Rovi data, you just have to turn it on in guide options
post #653 of 944 Old 09-27-2016, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeA View Post
Some channels started to run out of guide info before any fix came in for us, so I ended up downloading EPG123 and doing a trial subscription for Schedules Direct.

Boy, is it nice. The grid listings are even color-coded by type (sports, movie, etc.) although I haven't figured out all of the categories yet.

Thanks to @garnuts for the tip!
I'm glad the switch went well for you and you like it

Living Room: Denon X3600H, XPA-5, 7.1.4 Polk RTiA9, CSiA6, FXiA4, OWM3, RSL C34E, SVS PC12+, 4 Shakers, Epson 5050, VApex 92”, Sony 65X900F, Sony X800, Xbox360, Shield, Roku Ultra, Odroid-N2Bedroom: Marantz SR6013, 5.1.2 Polk: LSiM 703, LSiM 704, RTiA1, OWM3, SVS SB12-NSD, LG OLED6B8, Xbox 360, Roku3, RPi2-RasPlex, FireStick 4K. Home Office: Onkyo 707, Polk: RTiA3, CSiA4, Monitor 70, Yamaha SW315 x 2, Turntable, Triple Monitors.
post #654 of 944 Old 10-12-2016, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It looks like Rovi is mucking up the guide data again. I only use WMC for recording programs that are flagged copy once so I don't check the recording schedule very often. I looked at it this morning and noticed there were no recordings scheduled for the series "American Horror Story: 6". Rovi changed the series name in the guide data to just "American Horror Story" without the ": 6" at the end so my old series rule didn't recognize it as a match. Thanks Rovi. I'm glad I wasn't out of town this week. I only need WMC to record three shows and it can't even do that right.
post #655 of 944 Old 10-12-2016, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
It looks like Rovi is mucking up the guide data again. I only use WMC for recording programs that are flagged copy once so I don't check the recording schedule very often. I looked at it this morning and noticed there were no recordings scheduled for the series "American Horror Story: 6". Rovi changed the series name in the guide data to just "American Horror Story" without the ": 6" at the end so my old series rule didn't recognize it as a match. Thanks Rovi. I'm glad I wasn't out of town this week. I only need WMC to record three shows and it can't even do that right.
Why are you not using epg123 yet? Here's a screen shot of my series information in Emby (I'm not at home right now so I can't grab it in WMC for you) which is the same information that is in WMC. I strongly urge you to ditch the native WMC guide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	American Horror Story.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	1712153  

post #656 of 944 Old 10-12-2016, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Rovi did the same thing with Star Trek on H&I. They originally titled it Star Trek: The Original Series but that caused it not to match their own database so none of the shows had episode titles or descriptions. So then they shortened it to just Star Trek. That fixed the titles and descriptions, but if you had set up to record Star Trek: The Original Series (or even just anything containing "Star Trek:" with the colon) your recordings quit working
post #657 of 944 Old 10-12-2016, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
Why are you not using epg123 yet? Here's a screen shot of my series information in Emby (I'm not at home right now so I can't grab it in WMC for you) which is the same information that is in WMC. I strongly urge you to ditch the native WMC guide.
Maybe he objects, as I do, to paying for a decent TV guide that used to be free (Zap2it), which was like a decent NFL team whereas Rovi performs like a group of sandlot kids half the time.
post #658 of 944 Old 10-12-2016, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 345
It is $2.08 a month. Worrying about bad data in your guide and or missed recordings is worth more than that.

EDIT: What I mean is the guide in WMC used to be good and it was free. Now it is either bad and free or costs a couple bucks a month and it is good. Things change.. This isn't a huge budget breaker, IMHO.

post #659 of 944 Old 10-12-2016, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
Why are you not using epg123 yet?
I'm only using WMC to fill in the gaps until Silicondust gets DRM working. I really don't want to put any money into it.
post #660 of 944 Old 10-12-2016, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp View Post
Maybe he objects, as I do, to paying for a decent TV guide that used to be free...
I don't object to paying for guide data. I object to paying for guide data that I don't plan on using in the near future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page