Big WMC guide changes starting today - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 170Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #661 of 944 Old 10-12-2016, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Sammy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Right next to Wineville, CA
Posts: 11,388
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I'm only using WMC to fill in the gaps until Silicondust gets DRM working. I really don't want to put any money into it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I don't object to paying for guide data. I object to paying for guide data that I don't plan on using in the near future.
When is DRM support for the SiliconDust DVR coming out? Soon I hear but not yet. I can understand your stance in this.

I suppose you're using a server / client model with shields for clients? My equipment is up and running and I don't want to spend more time and money overhauling it all until I have to. For me, and this doesn't go for everyone, epg123 has provided a cheap way to extend the usefulness of WMC and its extenders in my home.

Sammy2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #662 of 944 Old 10-12-2016, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 6,962
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2824 Post(s)
Liked: 1368
I think you can subscribe to Schedules Direct on a short-term basis: $6 every two months IIRC. Might be an option if you plan on dropping WMC 6-8 months from now.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #663 of 944 Old 10-12-2016, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ken.F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Rockhill, PA
Posts: 5,512
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Liked: 2569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
When is DRM support for the SiliconDust DVR coming out? Soon I hear but not yet. I can understand your stance in this.
I've been hearing "soon" for about a year now.

Quote:
I suppose you're using a server / client model with shields for clients? My equipment is up and running and I don't want to spend more time and money overhauling it all until I have to. For me, and this doesn't go for everyone, epg123 has provided a cheap way to extend the usefulness of WMC and its extenders in my home.
I'm running the record engine on WD My Cloud NAS. My clients are a Nexus Player, 3 Raspberry Pis running Kodi and a Win10 tablet. Kodi won't be able to handle DRM so I'll have to replace those when the time comes. The Mi Box was just released but I haven't picked one up to test yet. If that works better than the Nexus Player I'll get three of those. If not I'll have to get something else. I like the Shield but I'm not a gamer and I don't want to use game controllers for watching TV. Adding a TV remote to the 16GB Shield brings the price up to $250 a unit if you can still find them. I really don't want to spend $750 on client devices if something else will do the job for less.
Ken.F is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #664 of 944 Old 10-12-2016, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ken.F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Rockhill, PA
Posts: 5,512
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Liked: 2569
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I think you can subscribe to Schedules Direct on a short-term basis: $6 every two months IIRC. Might be an option if you plan on dropping WMC 6-8 months from now.
WMC is still working for now but I'll keep that in mind if Rovi completely messes things up.
Ken.F is online now  
post #665 of 944 Old 10-12-2016, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Sammy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Right next to Wineville, CA
Posts: 11,388
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I've been hearing "soon" for about a year now.


I'm running the record engine on WD My Cloud NAS. My clients are a Nexus Player, 3 Raspberry Pis running Kodi and a Win10 tablet. Kodi won't be able to handle DRM so I'll have to replace those when the time comes. The Mi Box was just released but I haven't picked one up to test yet. If that works better than the Nexus Player I'll get three of those. If not I'll have to get something else. I like the Shield but I'm not a gamer and I don't want to use game controllers for watching TV. Adding a TV remote to the 16GB Shield brings the price up to $250 a unit if you can still find them. I really don't want to spend $750 on client devices if something else will do the job for less.
Thank you for the update. I hadn't heard of the Mi Box before.

I'm in at $440 on five echos and another $200 on an xBox 360 in the game room for extenders plus another $400 or so on Rokus for streaming "on demand" so I'm really not wanting to lay out more cash for more devices when this all works for me right now. Putting out a couple bucks a month for better guide data seems more reasonable for the time being.

Sammy2 is offline  
post #666 of 944 Old 11-27-2016, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
aab1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Can someone remind me where we send complaints to the idiots running the new atrocious guide company?

The issue where all channels switch to wrong numbers every few days that was frequent for first several months has been back for about a month now where I'll suddenly see all recordings of the day are for the wrong shows, and often were shows that don't have reruns.

I'm sorry for the language but at this point it's absolutely beyond absurd that the bugs haven't been fixed in however long this bunch of morons started handling the guide data.

Will WMC be pure garbage from now on as it has been since these imbeciles have been in charge of the guide data?

TV is supposed to be enjoyable but since these idiots have been in charge of the guide data it's been by far the most infuriating part of my day for well over a year now.

Since it looks like things will stay this bad, what are the alternatives to WMC because I've had it with the idiots running the new company.

Whatever moron is responsible for turning using WMC into hell on earth needs to be fired IMMEDIATELY.

Last edited by aab1; 11-27-2016 at 06:33 PM.
aab1 is offline  
post #667 of 944 Old 11-27-2016, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
aab1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm sorry for the name calling in my post above but after this company has been making my life a living hell for over a year and clearly couldn't care less about making people's TV watching a living hell it's really hard not to.

After a stressful day of work I just want to relax and watch TV, and when watching TV is more stressful than a stressful day at work, it gets really infuriating.

I think I may recall someone saying there's a way to get guide data not from the imbeciles at Rovi, am I remembering this correctly and if so PLEASE tell me how as I simply can't stand Rovi making my life hell on earth week after week for well over a year, I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE.

And if there isn't a way to get guide data in WMC from anyone other than the idiots at Rovi, what alternative to WMC is there that doesn't get its guide data from Rovi, as I'm not going through the trouble of switching programs to end up with the same problems?

Last edited by aab1; 11-27-2016 at 07:14 PM.
aab1 is offline  
post #668 of 944 Old 11-27-2016, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Worf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,252
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Rovi is messing up because TiVo was bought by them and the TiVo users were forcing rovi (now TiVo - they changed their name) to fix their guide. As this happens the lineups screw up and I find I have to periodically redo the setup as the lineups aren't updating properly.

If you want, you can use epg123 and schedules direct instead of TiVo/rovi guide data. This will cost a few dollars a month but use the better tribune/zap2it data.
Worf is offline  
post #669 of 944 Old 11-28-2016, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Sammy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Right next to Wineville, CA
Posts: 11,388
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 345
epg123 is the way to go. You can find a forum all about it here.

Been using it since April and it as breathed new life into WMC for the long haul. Guide data costs $25 a year so it's a no brainer.

Sammy2 is offline  
post #670 of 944 Old 11-28-2016, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sgbroimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: CT Shore
Posts: 1,198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab1 View Post
Can someone remind me where we send complaints to the idiots running the new atrocious guide company?

The issue where all channels switch to wrong numbers every few days that was frequent for first several months has been back for about a month now where I'll suddenly see all recordings of the day are for the wrong shows, and often were shows that don't have reruns.

I'm sorry for the language but at this point it's absolutely beyond absurd that the bugs haven't been fixed in however long this bunch of morons started handling the guide data.

Will WMC be pure garbage from now on as it has been since these imbeciles have been in charge of the guide data?

TV is supposed to be enjoyable but since these idiots have been in charge of the guide data it's been by far the most infuriating part of my day for well over a year now.

Since it looks like things will stay this bad, what are the alternatives to WMC because I've had it with the idiots running the new company.

Whatever moron is responsible for turning using WMC into hell on earth needs to be fired IMMEDIATELY.
I sent an email to this address months ago and did get a reply and a fix. Not sure if it is still valid, but won't cost you anything to try: [email protected]

Assassin HTPC + Echo, Sony 49XBR850, McIntosh MX151, MC202, MC7104, MS300, B+W 803D2, CWM's, Janus 1W Sub
sgbroimp is offline  
post #671 of 944 Old 11-28-2016, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 6,962
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2824 Post(s)
Liked: 1368
i[email protected]? Shouldn't that be e[email protected]?
JHBrandt is offline  
post #672 of 944 Old 11-28-2016, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Sammy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Right next to Wineville, CA
Posts: 11,388
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Why bother? Just switch to epg123.

Sammy2 is offline  
post #673 of 944 Old 11-28-2016, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator
 
DrDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Metro Detroit, Tampa Bay
Posts: 17,054
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked: 4338
Some of us can't. And Rovi's been good about responding to guide issues.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
DrDon is offline  
post #674 of 944 Old 11-29-2016, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sgbroimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: CT Shore
Posts: 1,198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
No. I emailed them at ipg and they answered from that address also.

Assassin HTPC + Echo, Sony 49XBR850, McIntosh MX151, MC202, MC7104, MS300, B+W 803D2, CWM's, Janus 1W Sub
sgbroimp is offline  
post #675 of 944 Old 11-29-2016, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pittsoccer33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 3,117
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 434
I also had luck using the Xbox One guide feedback tool. I can't remember if it was on my Xbox or on Xbox.com, but I was able to get a channel added to the Rovi guide that way. I can't be sure my feedback helped, but within a week or two it began showing up in my One Guide and in WMC.

My basement media room and bar
Epson 2030, Onkyo TX-NR626, and Kodi based system

Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
pittsoccer33 is offline  
post #676 of 944 Old 11-29-2016, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 6,962
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2824 Post(s)
Liked: 1368
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp View Post
No. I emailed them at ipg and they answered from that address also.
Good; it looked odd so I wanted to be sure. Thanks!
JHBrandt is offline  
post #677 of 944 Old 11-29-2016, 08:11 AM
Member
 
1maynard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Northwest Ohio
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I also emailed Tivo customer support about the lack of guide information this morning and they responded within an hour with a case number. Hoping they can get some of these issues corrected. I am currently using Kodi with NextPVR to watch OTA TV but would like to switch to Windows MC as the PVR back end as it just works better but without good guide data It just does not work well. Also would give me the option to use JRiver if I desire. I know many will say to use the EPG123 but I am tired of constantly having to tweak things to make it work. When WMC had good guide data it was the best MC set up out there. I will see if TIVO really does anything to correct it but I am not going to hold my breath.
1maynard is offline  
post #678 of 944 Old 11-29-2016, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Sammy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Right next to Wineville, CA
Posts: 11,388
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Some of us can't. And Rovi's been good about responding to guide issues.
Yes, I recall you were using capture cards I think?? There are some where epg123 doesn't provide a workable solution (yet??) and I should have acknowledged that in my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1maynard View Post
I also emailed Tivo customer support about the lack of guide information this morning and they responded within an hour with a case number. Hoping they can get some of these issues corrected. I am currently using Kodi with NextPVR to watch OTA TV but would like to switch to Windows MC as the PVR back end as it just works better but without good guide data It just does not work well. Also would give me the option to use JRiver if I desire. I know many will say to use the EPG123 but I am tired of constantly having to tweak things to make it work. When WMC had good guide data it was the best MC set up out there. I will see if TIVO really does anything to correct it but I am not going to hold my breath.
Not withstanding my statement immediately above, I am on v1.0.2 of epg123 and there's no intervention required at all but I do check the log every couple of days to confirm there is no errors but I check my Silicon Dust HDHR Prime logs every few days too out of habit. It is probably pretty safe to say, so long as you're not one of the few with "not typical" set ups, that once you've set up epg123 it is pretty much on autopilot.

Sammy2 is offline  
post #679 of 944 Old 12-01-2016, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,667
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3072 Post(s)
Liked: 1393
For those still using WMC guide data, Microsoft has made some big additions to the European market. Also, Microsoft has indicated the best way to report guide outages and other issues is in the thread below:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/...112404#p112404

I just happened to run across this info recently. I switched to Tivo shortly after starting this thread a few years ago. So I don't have any more insight than what's posted in the linked thread.
LastButNotLeast likes this.
mdavej is offline  
post #680 of 944 Old 12-02-2016, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
grittree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 2,723
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
Dr Don said >Some of us can't. And Rovi's been good about responding to guide issues.

Yes, I recall you were using capture cards I think?? There are some where epg123 doesn't provide a workable solution (yet??) and I should have acknowledged that in my post.
I wasn't aware epg123 has a problem with capture cards. I have two Colossus cards, on two PCs, and they get the SD guide fine. And SD is so much better than Rovi.
grittree is online now  
post #681 of 944 Old 12-04-2016, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
aab1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Rovi is messing up because TiVo was bought by them and the TiVo users were forcing rovi (now TiVo - they changed their name) to fix their guide. As this happens the lineups screw up and I find I have to periodically redo the setup as the lineups aren't updating properly.

If you want, you can use epg123 and schedules direct instead of TiVo/rovi guide data. This will cost a few dollars a month but use the better tribune/zap2it data.
I just realized, based on the date of my last reply, that it's on Sundays my guide data gets completely screwed up and it starts recording the wrong show/channel for every single recording, this used to occur weekly when the changes were new, then there was no major problems for a few months, and since 1-2 months now my guide data/channels get completely screwed up every Sunday.

I give up, I just can't stand these incompetent idiots making my TV watching hell on earth.

I'm not rich so I'm going to need a cost per month that's more accurate than "a few dollars a month" as that's too vague to know if it's something I can afford or not. Also, if I pay for this, will the guide updates still be done automatically and would there be any differences compared to how it doesn't work with Rovi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Some of us can't. And Rovi's been good about responding to guide issues.
Let me guess, I'm sure I have something that will prevent me from using this alternatives, here are things that will probably mean it's not an option for me: I'm in Canada and use a Colossus capture card. Am I right? It's not an option for me is it?

Since that other option probably isn't available for me, what are the alternatives, including alternatives to WMC if necessary?

I will not continue having my TV watching turned into hell on earth by the retarded idiots at Rovi, I'm DONE with those *******s.

I know the Rovi data is free, but they're making my life such a living hell I'm wondering if a class action lawsuit would be an option in this sort of situation? I'm not looking for money, I'm looking to get them to fix their major bugs that have been ongoing for well over a year, and if threatening a class action lawsuit is what it takes to scare them into doing their job then we should look into it because I'm dying to have a TV that goes to the channel I choose instead of any random channel causing me to miss all my shows.

Thanks for all the help

Last edited by aab1; 12-04-2016 at 06:05 PM.
aab1 is offline  
post #682 of 944 Old 12-04-2016, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 6,962
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2824 Post(s)
Liked: 1368
http://www.schedulesdirect.org/ is available in Canada and several other countries. EPG123 is listed as approved software at http://www.schedulesdirect.org/approvedsoftware (scroll down to the JSON section) so there's no licensing or copyright issue.

Don't know if your setup can use it or not, but a Schedules Direct subscription costs $25/year, which works out to $2.08/month. Or if you prefer, you can pay $6 every two months, which works out to $3/month. Those figures are US dollars so you'll have to figure in the exchange rate for Canadian dollars, but it's probably in the same ballpark.

There is also a 7-day free trial available, so you can confirm whether it works with your setup before shelling out any money at all.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #683 of 944 Old 12-04-2016, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
aab1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
http://www.schedulesdirect.org/ is available in Canada and several other countries. EPG123 is listed as approved software at http://www.schedulesdirect.org/approvedsoftware (scroll down to the JSON section) so there's no licensing or copyright issue.

Don't know if your setup can use it or not, but a Schedules Direct subscription costs $25/year, which works out to $2.08/month. Or if you prefer, you can pay $6 every two months, which works out to $3/month. Those figures are US dollars so you'll have to figure in the exchange rate for Canadian dollars, but it's probably in the same ballpark.

There is also a 7-day free trial available, so you can confirm whether it works with your setup before shelling out any money at all.
I don't know what either SchedulesDirect or EPG123 is, do I need both to dump Rovi?

Also, I think someone mentioned EPG123 doesn't work with the Colossus card, which is what I use, so isn't this not an option for me?

Thanks
aab1 is offline  
post #684 of 944 Old 12-04-2016, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 6,962
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2824 Post(s)
Liked: 1368
You would need both. EPG123 is the software, Schedules Direct is the service providing the guide data. EPG123 downloads the guide data from Schedules Direct and imports it into WMC.

I have no idea if EPG123 will work with your capture card; follow the links in the post quoted below for more info:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
epg123 is the way to go. You can find a forum all about it here.
At any rate, EPG123 is free to download and use, so there's no harm in giving it a try.

I'm afraid you're SOL with respect to any lawsuit. The EPG terms of service include a 1-year statute of limitations, and Microsoft switched to Rovi more than a year ago.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #685 of 944 Old 12-05-2016, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,667
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3072 Post(s)
Liked: 1393
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I'm afraid you're SOL with respect to any lawsuit. The EPG terms of service include a 1-year statute of limitations, and Microsoft switched to Rovi more than a year ago.
Not only that, but in About for the guide it's always said Microsoft reserves the right to do anything it wants to the guide. That leaves EPG123 as the only practical solution.
mdavej is offline  
post #686 of 944 Old 12-05-2016, 09:50 AM
 
ajhieb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Commonwealth, not the Jelly.
Posts: 2,696
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 698
It's been a while since I read the whole ToS, but I seem to recall there being some language in there protecting MS and their data provider from any liability over the guide or the data contained therein.

And if you find that bad guide data is causing your life to become a living hell, you may want to take a step back and reevaluate some things.
mdavej and Sammy2 like this.
ajhieb is offline  
post #687 of 944 Old 12-05-2016, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Sammy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Right next to Wineville, CA
Posts: 11,388
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
It's been a while since I read the whole ToS, but I seem to recall there being some language in there protecting MS and their data provider from any liability over the guide or the data contained therein.

And if you find that bad guide data is causing your life to become a living hell, you may want to take a step back and reevaluate some things.
Bad guide data can make life living hell from my wife! That's why we were using UVerse for nearly a year before epg123 came along. Now I get good data and can save about $80 a month on my TV Bill due to the combination of Charter being cheaper and not having to rent a bunch of boxes. Those echos do the job around my house and they're paid for by the monthly savings now.

Sammy2 is offline  
post #688 of 944 Old 12-05-2016, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator
 
DrDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Metro Detroit, Tampa Bay
Posts: 17,054
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked: 4338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
Yes, I recall you were using capture cards I think?? There are some where epg123 doesn't provide a workable solution (yet??) and I should have acknowledged that in my post.
I have a mix: OTA via Hauppauge tuner cards and DirecTV via capture boxes.

Though, in all honesty, I'm seriously considering converting the HTPC to DirecTV capture only just so I can get WMC to change the channels. Hauppauge's IR blaster software also isn't happy with the two-source setup and defaults to the first device it finds, which is always the tuner cards). I can use tuner cards in other computers which the HTPC happily plays over the network.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
DrDon is offline  
post #689 of 944 Old 01-30-2017, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 6,962
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2824 Post(s)
Liked: 1368
Well, Rovi/TiVo has done it again. Or is it Microsoft this time?

My WMC guide is down to 8 days of generic garbage, even after running ObjectStoreRecoveryTask. The data is clearly out-of-date. But my DVR+, which also gets a Rovi/TiVo guide, is fine! 14 days, specific episode descriptions. So I know Rovi/TiVo has the data; it just isn't making it to Microsoft's servers this time.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #690 of 944 Old 01-30-2017, 08:21 PM
Senior Member
 
garnuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 383
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Well, Rovi/TiVo has done it again. Or is it Microsoft this time?

My WMC guide is down to 8 days of generic garbage, even after running ObjectStoreRecoveryTask. The data is clearly out-of-date. But my DVR+, which also gets a Rovi/TiVo guide, is fine! 14 days, specific episode descriptions. So I know Rovi/TiVo has the data; it just isn't making it to Microsoft's servers this time.
Do you know about EPG123?

It's a replacement for WMC built in guide. The program is free and very well supported by the developer and community at The Green Button. However, you will need a $25 yearly subscription to Schedules Direct.

I've been using it for about 10 months and the guide data is better (different source than Rovi), and never runs out like Rovi, or lots of generic program descriptions. Definitely worth $2 a month for me not to screw around with Rovi/MS when the guide runs out every couple of months.

EPG123 sub forum:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewforum.php?f=99

.

Living Room: Marantz 6013, XPA-5, 7.1.4 Polk RTiA9, CSiA6, FXiA4, OWM3, RSL C34E, SVS PC12+, 4 Shakers, Epson 5050, VApex 92”, Sony 65X900F Sony X800, Xbox360, Shield, Roku Ultra.
Bedroom: Denon X2000, Polk: RTiA3, CSiA4, RTiA1, OWM3, SVS SB12-NSD, Sony 55X850B, Sony BPD-S590, Xbox 360, Roku3, RPi2-RasPlex, Darbee. Home Office: Onkyo 707, Polk: LSiM 703, LSiM 704, Monitor 70, Yamaha SW315 x 2, Turntable, Triple Monitors.
garnuts is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Home Theater Computers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off