Big WMC guide changes starting today - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 170Likes

post #781 of 944 Old 07-24-2017, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2389 Post(s)
Liked: 2026
I've been using "-crl -hms -pscn 15" for longer than I can remember. I certainly have no idea what they do, but it's been okay (I think ). Any benefit to changing to -uf -dbgc?
I also have it running daily. Fortunately, there's no HTPC union.
Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 944 Old 07-25-2017, 02:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2202 Post(s)
Liked: 3102
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorpsd View Post
...That had no effect on...lineup configuration and did not require any set up again in WMC.
Updated epg123 to v.10 last evening by installing it over previous version. The complete lineups carried over without any check marks.

Last edited by bmcn; 07-25-2017 at 02:40 AM.
post #783 of 944 Old 07-27-2017, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Liked: 1344
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
I've been using "-crl -hms -pscn 15" for longer than I can remember. I certainly have no idea what they do, but it's been okay (I think ). Any benefit to changing to -uf -dbgc?
I also have it running daily. Fortunately, there's no HTPC union.
Michael
I don't know what those options do, but if they're working for you, great! Thanks for sharing; it may help someone.

I only use mcupdate with the -uf -dbgc options when my guide gets "stuck." It happens sometimes after an outage. I use two guide sources: OTA and Dish Network channels. When Microsoft fixes the guide after an outage, sometimes everything starts working, but other times only the channels with Dish guide data start working again. The ones with OTA guide data don't start updating until I do that command. Then they're fine (until the next outage, of course).

BTW, the reason I use Dish Network guides for some channels is that Rovi's OTA channel guide is either missing or has only generic data for a few of my OTA channels. The Dish guides seem to have most of the missing channels (often on wildly different channel numbers), so I use Dish's guides to fill in the gaps via the Guidetool utility.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of 944 Old 08-06-2017, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 943
I bought the subscription to Schedules Direct and installed EPG123. It worked OK but I must say there are a lot of generic descriptions. Rovi is (generally) more up to date on talk show guests. I also get a lot of generics on Ion TV. Am I doing something wrong? Most of the rest of this thread implies that Schedules Direct is a better guide. I find it more reliable but prefer the detail level of Rovi.

🔥🔥🔥 Sent from my Samsung Note 7 Using Ove Glove™ 🔥🔥🔥
post #785 of 944 Old 08-06-2017, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't have an answer, but you might read through the EPG123 subforum at thegreenbutton.tv and see if someone there has run into that problem: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewforum.php?f=99

BTW, I often complain about generic descriptions in the Rovi guide, particularly for the "out" week. So I guess YMMV
post #786 of 944 Old 08-07-2017, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I don't have an answer, but you might read through the EPG123 subforum at thegreenbutton.tv and see if someone there has run into that problem: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewforum.php?f=99

BTW, I often complain about generic descriptions in the Rovi guide, particularly for the "out" week. So I guess YMMV
I switched to EPG123 during the last data outage. I like it and find more detail for sporting events, particularly Auto Racing. Rovi treats most motor racing as a single series. Try to record a particular series and you are going to get 30 recordings a week including replays of everything from swamp buggies to off road dirt racing. I like sports car racing. The Zap2it data distinguishes different racing series. The only exception seems to be on CBS Sports Channel where lots of things are called Auto Racing.
dj4monie likes this.
post #787 of 944 Old 08-17-2017, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfox View Post
I switched to EPG123 during the last data outage. I like it and find more detail for sporting events, particularly Auto Racing. Rovi treats most motor racing as a single series. Try to record a particular series and you are going to get 30 recordings a week including replays of everything from swamp buggies to off road dirt racing. I like sports car racing. The Zap2it data distinguishes different racing series. The only exception seems to be on CBS Sports Channel where lots of things are called Auto Racing.
I did the same thing, and noticed that as well. Much more helpful.
post #788 of 944 Old 08-21-2017, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
I bought the subscription to Schedules Direct and installed EPG123. It worked OK but I must say there are a lot of generic descriptions. Rovi is (generally) more up to date on talk show guests. I also get a lot of generics on Ion TV. Am I doing something wrong? Most of the rest of this thread implies that Schedules Direct is a better guide. I find it more reliable but prefer the detail level of Rovi.
I work for Schedules Direct. If you're having issues with generic descriptions, please open a ticket at our Schedules Direct website, so that we can determine if the issue is with our upstream data.
olyteddy and roknrol like this.
post #789 of 944 Old 11-09-2017, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
I'm quite pissed as I just found WMC is deleting recordings to make space for new ones when I'm sure I told it it was strictly forbidden from ever doing that.

Why is WMC deleting my recordings despite being told not to and how do I make sure it NEVER happens again? I'd much rather miss a future recording due to lack of space than have an old one deleted, at least that way I know what I'm missing and not having random recordings deleted without my knowledge.

The only reason I caught it, and then realized it's been going on for over a week, is that my disk space went up by itself.

Edit: I just noticed the setting had in fact reverted to "Delete stuff when space is needed" (whatever the right wording is), is it each time Rovi crashes and I have to reset my TV settings that this gets reset? If so then I need to use that monthly fee program to eliminate Rovi now. Can someone provide the info again and is this service available in Canada?

Thank you
post #790 of 944 Old 11-09-2017, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 52
epg123 is the software that a lot of people use, although I can't attest to it working in Canada. I assume it will, but don't quote me.
post #791 of 944 Old 11-09-2017, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab1 View Post
I just noticed the setting had in fact reverted to "Delete stuff when space is needed" (whatever the right wording is), is it each time Rovi crashes and I have to reset my TV settings that this gets reset? If so then I need to use that monthly fee program to eliminate Rovi now. Can someone provide the info again and is this service available in Canada?

Thank you
Micro$oft has had terrible trouble keeping the EPG current lately, but you shouldn't need to reset everything to get it back. Run (as administrator) the following command, and it will always force WMC to download the latest guide without wiping out any of your settings:

C:\Windows\ehome\mcupdate.exe -uf

The command will return immediately but actually runs in background, taking the usual amount of time (about 10 minutes for me). If that doesn't work, then Micro$oft simply has no new guide data for you, and you'll just have to wait for them to fix it. They've run almost down to zero twice in the last month.

As for that "monthly fee program," it's actually an annual fee of $25/year (or you can pay $6 every other month) to Schedules Direct. (The program itself, called EPG123, is free, but you have to pay for the data.) It does give you 21 days of guide data, and a lot of folks (but not everyone) seem to like it better.
perpetual98 likes this.
post #792 of 944 Old 11-13-2017, 04:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfox View Post
That was a constant source of frustration with Rovi as well. Since Fox Sports 1/2 show both Weather Tech and World Endurance Championship I would know when I came on anyway but as you said it was a catch all for everything... Where have you seen swap buggy races? Must be CBS-SN or the Lucas Oil hour on NBC-SN I believe I've seen it there.

I hadn't seen it really since Diamond P/TNN went belly up.

A. Thomas
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #793 of 944 Old 11-20-2017, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Micro$oft has had terrible trouble keeping the EPG current lately, but you shouldn't need to reset everything to get it back. Run (as administrator) the following command, and it will always force WMC to download the latest guide without wiping out any of your settings:

C:\Windows\ehome\mcupdate.exe -uf

The command will return immediately but actually runs in background, taking the usual amount of time (about 10 minutes for me). If that doesn't work, then Micro$oft simply has no new guide data for you, and you'll just have to wait for them to fix it. They've run almost down to zero twice in the last month.

As for that "monthly fee program," it's actually an annual fee of $25/year (or you can pay $6 every other month) to Schedules Direct. (The program itself, called EPG123, is free, but you have to pay for the data.) It does give you 21 days of guide data, and a lot of folks (but not everyone) seem to like it better.
I tried that command but I don't think we're referring to the same guide data problem. The problem I've had every few weeks since they switched to Rovi is that my channel numbers all get mixed up. For example everything still appears with the correct number in the WMC guide, but going to channel 702 might put the box on 433, going to channel 600 might put the box on 89, etc. There is no logic, every channel just tunes to a seemingly random number (though each channel always tunes to the same wrong channel).

Is there a solution for this channel mixup issue? I've missed countless shows because of this.
post #794 of 944 Old 11-21-2017, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Is there a solution for this channel mixup issue? I've missed countless shows because of this.
http://epg123.garyan2.net/
EPG 123 comes to mind...
post #795 of 944 Old 11-21-2017, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked: 2459
Quote:
...but going to channel 702 might put the box on 433, going to channel 600 might put the box on 89, etc.
Are you using WMC to change the channels on a cable box?
post #796 of 944 Old 11-21-2017, 10:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 533
When I have that problem, i redo the tv setup. That refreshes the channel maps and gets it changing properly. Sometimes it happens and I don't notice it, other times it causes bad recordings.

This is especially true if you have an hauppage HD-PVR.
post #797 of 944 Old 11-22-2017, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The problem I've had every few weeks since they switched to Rovi is that my channel numbers all get mixed up. For example everything still appears with the correct number in the WMC guide, but going to channel 702 might put the box on 433, going to channel 600 might put the box on 89, etc. There is no logic, every channel just tunes to a seemingly random number (though each channel always tunes to the same wrong channel).

I've never experienced that problem so I don't know, but you might try running the ObjectStoreRecoveryTask in the task scheduler next time it happens and see if that fixes it. That task is a bit more extensive than "mcupdate.exe -uf" but usually not as drastic as rerunning setup.
post #798 of 944 Old 01-26-2018, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anybody know the correct procedure for updating EPG123 to the latest version? Do I need to uninstall then re-install or do I just run the new install program without uninstalling the old one? I don't want to register over at TGB forum just to ask a stupid question when everyone here already knows how dumb I am.
Sammy2 likes this.
post #799 of 944 Old 01-26-2018, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Anybody know the correct procedure for updating EPG123 to the latest version? Do I need to uninstall then re-install or do I just run the new install program without uninstalling the old one? I don't want to register over at TGB forum just to ask a stupid question when everyone here already knows how dumb I am.
What version are you running right now?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

post #800 of 944 Old 01-26-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
What version are you running right now?

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/...124925#p124925

post #801 of 944 Old 01-26-2018, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy2 View Post
what version are you running right now?
post #802 of 944 Old 01-26-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Just install I believe.

post #803 of 944 Old 01-26-2018, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just install I believe.
Thanks.
post #804 of 944 Old 01-27-2018, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 274
I'm still at v1.0.2. Works perfectly. Am I missing something?
post #805 of 944 Old 01-27-2018, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post
It has a bunch of new WMC tweaks.

grittree likes this.
post #806 of 944 Old 01-27-2018, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
You don't need to register at TGB to get the answer. There's a separate sub-forum that discusses EPG123. Check the link at the top of the page for the setup guide. There's another one for the EPG123 website where you can download the latest version (currently 1.1.19). The instructions tell you how to upgrade from an older version. Just follow the procedure for the Clean Start and you'll be fine.
post #807 of 944 Old 01-27-2018, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
The instructions tell you how to upgrade from an older version.
Thanks, but I still can't find those instructions that tell you how to upgrade from an older version of EPG123. It's not in the pdf manual and I couldn't find it posted at TGB. I installed over top of the previous version this morning and everything seems to be working.
post #808 of 944 Old 01-27-2018, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Thanks, but I still can't find those instructions that tell you how to upgrade from an older version of EPG123. It's not in the pdf manual and I couldn't find it posted at TGB. I installed over top of the previous version this morning and everything seems to be working.
You did it the correct way. There used to be an interim procedure for upgrading from an older version to one of the more current ones, but the process is now automated and included with the current installers. I thought the interim instructions were still included in the pdf file but apparently they have been removed as they are no longer required. Just run the setup executable and it will update the necessary files and perform the necessary background operations to bring it up to date. The author has done a great job adding new and better features to EPG123.
Ken.F likes this.

Last edited by captain_video; 01-27-2018 at 11:13 AM.
post #809 of 944 Old 01-27-2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks.
How'd it go?
Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post
Quite a lot actually!

post #810 of 944 Old 01-28-2018, 03:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How'd it go?
OK I guess. The guide updated last night so I must have done something right. My guide data runs out on some channels on 2/16 (19 days) with it set to download 21 days worth. I'll have to keep an eye on those channels for a few days to make sure they get new guide data as it becomes available.
Sammy2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page