Big WMC guide changes starting today - Page 29 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 170Likes

post #841 of 944 Old 05-14-2018, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2242 Post(s)
Liked: 2462
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post
Are you saying that I can continue to use My Media Center seamlessly if I go the route of EPG123?
Yes. I didn't have any trouble when I switched.
billmich and Sammy2 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 944 Old 05-14-2018, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Cord cutting..

I'm now using YoutubeTV and Hulu along with Philo; I'm waiting for them to improve the app selection but can use Philo creds to logon many other apps. YoutubeTV provides the Live TV not available OTA. The other two are mainly for convenience. Altogether I now pay $35 for YTTV, $12 for Hulu and $20 for Philo. That's $57 for basically the same content Spectrum was charging nearly $100 OTD for.

My internet went to $65 from $55 when I unbundeled it from TV so my net savings is $33 a month of which I spent $25 to bump my internet speed to 300 / 20. This allows for multiple Emby or Plex streams out of my LAN which now suits me better. Plus, I can enhance my library quite quickly too..

All that said, WMC's DVR is still the best of the three, especially with epg123 enhancements but Emby and Plex have their purpose.

Additionally, Gary may assist the Emby Team in improving the DVR epg.

As Philo improves I may drop Hulu saving $12 a month right there.

Getting all this under one hood works pretty well with ShieldTV (for Home Theater) and Roku (for basic TV's) and with Harmony it isn't too very difficult to change inputs either for a near seamless experience.

I know this is OT but just needed to be said I guess..

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited by Sammy2; 05-14-2018 at 07:45 AM.
post #843 of 944 Old 05-14-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
I currently use MMC and wouldn't want to switch to EPG123 if it doesn't have some sort of remote access.
Like Ken said, these both work SBS.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #844 of 944 Old 05-14-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Are you saying that I can continue to use My Media Center seamlessly if I go the route of EPG123?
Has never been an issue from the beginning. This is actually one if the questions I asked Gary before switching two years ago. The answer was basically not a problem. Additionally, Gary began looking at the info MMC provided and proceeded to find that in the data to improve epg123 by including it in the native WMC search function and in what is displayed in the guide.

Last edited by Sammy2; 05-14-2018 at 07:43 AM.
post #845 of 944 Old 05-14-2018, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2242 Post(s)
Liked: 2462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
Like Ken said, these both work SBS.
Shaken Baby Syndrome? Acronyms kill me. It took me two years to figure out why some people call Windows Media Center "MCE".
ClearToLand and Sammy2 like this.
post #846 of 944 Old 05-14-2018, 07:42 AM

HA! Side By Side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Shaken Baby Syndrome? Acronyms kill me. It took me two years to figure out why some people call Windows Media Center "MCE".

post #847 of 944 Old 05-14-2018, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3032 Post(s)
Liked: 1372
@Sammy2 , seems like a lot of overlap among those 3. Any reason you have so many vs. just one, like DirecTV NOW which has all those channels and more for less money?

If you have any students in the family, check out the $5 Hulu/Spotify student deal.
Sammy2 likes this.
post #848 of 944 Old 05-14-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
@Sammy2 , seems like a lot of overlap among those 3. Any reason you have so many vs. just one, like DirecTV NOW which has all those channels and more for less money?

If you have any students in the family, check out the $5 Hulu/Spotify student deal.
General disdain of at&t.

post #849 of 944 Old 05-14-2018, 08:58 AM

Additionally, I will be dropping either Hulu or Philo soon so that brings it down to less than what DirecTV Now costs.

post #850 of 944 Old 05-14-2018, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
Additionally, I will be dropping either Hulu or Philo soon so that brings it down to less than what DirecTV Now costs.
Regardless of how much you hate AT&T (I'm right there with you), Youtube TV has a whole lot less content for more money. Since they couldn't care less whether you patronize them or not, you're only hurting yourself. But I do admire taking a stand on principle.
post #851 of 944 Old 05-14-2018, 11:57 AM

Got a side by side comparison, including price? When I checked it didn't seem that there was much of a difference. I could be wrong.

Nevertheless, I'm a firm believer of voting with my dollars. If something similar can be had for nearly the same price I'll get it from the company I prefer dealing with and in some cases I won't deal with the company at all under no circumstances even if they are a sole source.

post #852 of 944 Old 05-14-2018, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Not sure how accurate or up to date, but here's one chart that shows most of the OTT services.
https://www.recode.net/2017/11/20/16...line-streaming

Big things missing from Youtube (last time I checked several months ago) are A&E, AHC, AP, AWE, AXS, BET, Bloomberg, CNBC, Comedy Central, Cooking, C-SPAN, Discovery, DIY, Food, Fuse, Fusion, FYI, GSN, Hallmark, HDNET, HGTV, HLN, ID, Lifetime, MGM, MLB, MSG, MTV, NFL Redzone, NICK, OWN, Reelz, Science, Travel, TVLand, Velocity, VH1, Weather.

They have a pretty terrible lineup considering the price. Even if you're dead set against AT&T, PSVue has a much stronger lineup and would be a much better value. You could probably even cobble together a far superior Sling TV package for similar money.

But if you never watch any of the above, then it doesn't matter. Personally, my family would kill me if I cut Comedy Central, Cooking, Discovery, Food, HGTV, NICK, Science, TLC, Travel, Velocity, Weather, which is why I'm pretty much stuck with DTVN, like it or not.

Last edited by mdavej; 05-14-2018 at 12:50 PM.
post #853 of 944 Old 05-14-2018, 12:40 PM

I think you need to re-check YTTV listings. A lot of those are included now and I got in at $35 before the price increase.

This one is already out of date and it is two weeks old.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/yout...ated-may-2018/

post #854 of 944 Old 05-14-2018, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

I just made a second pass based on your link and edited my post. The biggest addition is the Turner nets, but not much else. Still pretty weak considering the price, even at $35.
post #855 of 944 Old 05-14-2018, 01:00 PM

So tell me, what's included in DirecTV Now at each price level? I'm at $47 with YTTV and Hulu or $55 if I go with YTTV and Philo. We don't mind switching apps on Roku or Shield and don't care if most things are live or on demand except news and sports. I just don't trust at&t "uVerse" rebranded as DirecTV Now.. so even if it is less, how long will it be less? I did score a $35 Amazon Fire 4K Player from them for one month service though.

post #856 of 944 Old 05-14-2018, 01:06 PM

Thing is, is I can fill in whatever's missing from my own personal library.. With 20 Tb and some recycling of stuff that has been watched already I keep a rotating stock of things to watch. Mainly only need Live TV for a few things and then stream some more for convenience and add in the rest to view in Emby or Plex.

We're digressing way off subject here though.. LOL.

If you want good data for Live TV in WMC it is epg123 FTW.

post #857 of 944 Old 05-14-2018, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

http://cdn.directv.com/content/dam/d...s-account.html

As an early adopter like you with YTTV, I'm getting the $60 for $35, another reason I'm sticking with DTVN. Fingers crossed the new sports-less version of DTVN will be significantly cheaper.

If it weren't for the elderly Fox News viewers sharing my plan, I'd be perfectly happy with Philo or Sling. But with YTTV missing all the Scripps networks, among other things, they're a non-starter for me.
Sammy2 likes this.
post #858 of 944 Old 05-14-2018, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Another (off-topic) thing worth mentioning might be that I don't think DirecTV Now currently has a DVR solution (although they say it's coming soon)

There's a lot of squabbling back and forth on the YouTube TV Reddit about being forced to watch commercials (can't fast forward) on the YTTV feeds because they flip you over to the On-Demand versions of the shows instead of the "recorded" versions of the shows.
post #859 of 944 Old 05-14-2018, 02:33 PM

We only watch YTTV for Live Content so that isn't an issue for us.

Any time shifted content is garnered by alternate means.

post #860 of 944 Old 05-14-2018, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I just want someone to come up with a good TV Everywhere solution that puts everything in one seamless location so if say I wanted to watch Seinfeld I could search for it and it would just query all of the things I was signed into and show me the results and I could click on one and it would play without directing me to another app/site. I understand why the big boys (Netflix/Amazon Video/Hulu etc) don't want to give everyone unfettered access to their APIs so someone could make a decent front-end
post #861 of 944 Old 05-14-2018, 03:24 PM

Don't hold your breath..

post #862 of 944 Old 05-14-2018, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2768 Post(s)
Liked: 1347
Quote:
Is there an app (with EPG123) so that I can schedule recordings when I am out of town?
That tickled a memory from a few years ago: http://www.remotepotato.com/mediacenter.aspx. It should work regardless of your guide source.

Edit: Sorry; someone already posted that link. I just didn't read down far enough. It was a busy day on this thread today!

Anyway, on those subscription fees, I can go either way. I really don't have a problem with Schedules Direct. It's not free but it's very cheap, and you get a good-quality, 21-day guide; clearly an upgrade from WMC's free guide even if the latter hadn't gone down the tubes!

OTOH, I don't like the mandatory Plex and Emby subscriptions. It's not really the cost, either; it's just the principle of the thing. Basically, part of the subscription is for guide data, and part is for their software, which isn't free. You can buy it, by purchasing a "lifetime" subscription; or you can lease it, on a monthly or annual basis.

I don't have a problem with paying for software either; I just don't like the way everything is all jumbled together with these solutions. Why can't I pay a fair price for the software itself, then choose my guide source separately? Schedules Direct is limited to freeware like EPG123, but I should still be able to choose from: the short but free PSIP guide broadcast by every OTA station, a mediocre but cheap 2-week guide sourced from TiVo/Rovi, or go for the good-quality, 3-week guide sourced from Gracenote.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 05-14-2018 at 06:45 PM.
post #863 of 944 Old 05-15-2018, 03:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
Internet and phone plus miscellaneous fees and taxes raise it to about $157.
I bought my HP 9300 Cable Labs Certified HTPC for recording DRM, HBO,etc. When HTPC's came out you had to buy them from dell or HP,as they had to be Cable Lab certified,no play ready, which Microsoft's brought out later and too late.
This is about Microsoft abandoning another product, which they promised to support until 2020. I happen to think that I should not be forced to pay extra for a guide.I paid extra for the HP cable Labs certified computer.
I just dumped Fios at a 167.00 and downgraded to a Comcast package for TV and 100 mbs Internet ,HD box and a Cable Card for 67.00 a month, with taxes,that's everything.
Add Majic Jax at 35.00 a year(I need a fax for my business) and that's 70.00 a month total.
Why would you let Microsoft's rip you off? I think they are messing with the guide too piss people off and make them pay for a guide, from a company, that Microsoft's has their claws into.

Last edited by 6athome; 05-15-2018 at 03:57 AM.
post #864 of 944 Old 05-15-2018, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6athome View Post
I bought my HP 9300 Cable Labs Certified HTPC for recording DRM, HBO,etc. When HTPC's came out you had to buy them from dell or HP,as they had to be Cable Lab certified,no play ready, which Microsoft's brought out later and too late.
This is about Microsoft abandoning another product, which they promised to support until 2020. I happen to think that I should not be forced to pay extra for a guide.I paid extra for the HP cable Labs certified computer.
I just dumped Fios at a 167.00 and downgraded to a Comcast package for TV and 100 mbs Internet ,HD box and a Cable Card for 67.00 a month, with taxes,that's everything.
Add Majic Jax at 35.00 a year(I need a fax for my business) and that's 70.00 a month total.
Why would you let Microsoft's rip you off? I think they are messing with the guide too piss people off and make them pay for a guide, from a company, that Microsoft's has their claws into.
Microsoft is still providing guide data for WMC users so it sounds to me like they're still supporting the product as promised. They're just not providing any more updates to WMC. Support and product development are two different things.

Nobody is forcing you to pay extra for guide data. It's still free from Microsoft. However, a Schedules Direct subscription with EPG123 gets you better guide data with no worry about the possibility that it might run out because some idiot at Microsoft forgot to update it. I agree that Microsoft has basically abandoned WMC and, even though they still supply guide data, WMC is pretty much an afterthought these days for them. That's why many of us have switched to EPG123 and Schedules Direct. It takes Microsoft out of the equation entirely.
Sammy2 likes this.

Last edited by captain_video; 05-15-2018 at 05:36 AM.
post #865 of 944 Old 05-15-2018, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
Microsoft is still providing guide data for WMC users so it sounds to me like they're still supporting the product as promised. They're just not providing any more updates to WMC. Support and product development are two different things.

Nobody is forcing you to pay extra for guide data. It's still free from Microsoft. However, a Schedules Direct subscription with EPG123 gets you better guide data with no worry about the possibility that it might run out because some idiot at Microsoft forgot to update it. I agree that Microsoft has basically abandoned WMC and, even though they still supply guide data, WMC is pretty much an afterthought these days for them. That's why many of us have switched to EPG123 and Schedules Direct. It takes Microsoft out of the equation entirely.
It seems to me that Microsoft has taken you out of the equation and that's my point!
post #866 of 944 Old 05-15-2018, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

FWIW, other solutions also have free guide data, like Google "Live Channels" DVR for Android TV on Nvidia Shield and Channel Master Stream+ (OTA only). Many WMC users (including me) have migrated to those (I also have Tivo lifetime which is essentially free and also works with cable card).

But I agree that you could continue using WMC with free Microsoft provided data indefinitely if you can live with the occasional outages. If I still used WMC, I would switch to EPG123 in a heartbeat.

I do question why anybody with WMC or other cable card solution would still have any cable boxes at all.

And speaking of MagicJack, there are other cheap/free phone solutions with fax capability. I can fax with my Ooma service, and it costs about $4/month. Obi can also fax and uses a Google Voice number and is absolutely free.
post #867 of 944 Old 05-15-2018, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6athome View Post
It seems to me that Microsoft has taken you out of the equation and that's my point!
There's a point there?
Sammy2 likes this.
post #868 of 944 Old 05-15-2018, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

@6athome , Microsoft has no relationship with EPG123 whatsoever. They don't have a current solution for a PC-based DVR, paid or otherwise. So they aren't making any money from you or even attempting to make money from you no matter how you look at it.

Microsoft ends support for Windows 8.x (the last OS to run WMC) in 2023. So they haven't taken you out of the equation yet. Even when they do, how is this any different than any other software life cycle, Microsoft or otherwise? What's keeping you from running WMC indefinitely?
Sammy2 likes this.
post #869 of 944 Old 05-15-2018, 09:00 AM

What's this thing you call "fax"?

post #870 of 944 Old 05-15-2018, 09:03 AM

I want to clarify our Hulu Subscription.. We get the commercial free for $12 a month. If you can tolerate commercials you can get it for $9 or $10 a month (I forget which). AFAIK, DirecTV Now has no commercial free option at all? To us that has value beyond the extra couple bucks a month.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page