Big WMC guide changes starting today - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 170Likes

post #181 of 944 Old 07-25-2015, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by etrin View Post
e55 try what I did.
check under general and guides and see if you are still on zap2it, which no longer works.
go to tv setup and run it.
If it doesn't find any data, cancel and put in a different zip code.
IF it gets a guide mine was switched from zap2it to rovi when completed and I can go back to my original zipcode and have guides.

thank jhbrandt and a lot of the other people in this tread for their idea not mine.
Thanks. I am now getting guides from rovi,using my actual zip, however, it seems to have a problem recorded NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt. I can't get none of my 3 machines to record the series everyday. I have to record each daily episode manually and only 1 at a time. When I select Record Series it only records one episode and all the other broadcast have a lower-case letter "i". If I manually setup to record Mondays News it will delete Sundays and Tuesdays and Wednesday etc.

Other shows are recording series just fine.

FYI, also still not receiving emails when this thread has new posts. I get other AVS Forum post updates. Strange.

Last edited by E55 KEV; 07-25-2015 at 04:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 944 Old 07-25-2015, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2819 Post(s)
Liked: 1367
For me, things are mostly back to normal. I'm still missing guides for a few channels, but I have all the guides I need for the stations I record. The main issues still remaining are:
  • Several station call signs have changed. The only problem this causes is minor: it changes the default file names of recordings, so in Explorer the recordings aren't necessarily listed in the order they were made. Doesn't seem to affect how they appear in WMC though.
  • A similar minor issue: a few show titles have slight spelling or punctuation changes. If you have WMC set to group your recordings by title, you may now find two groups for the same show, spelled slightly differently.
  • For me, the biggest problem is that the guide for Retro TV seems to have only generic listings. As mentioned before, this effectively disables series recordings, forcing me either to revert to timed manual recordings or to manually select the shows I want to record every week.

I suspect the way Rovi does their guides is that they have a generic weekly schedule for each network, then add details as well as any changes for the upcoming weeks. As a result, on some channels I see some generic listings for the second week, but the first week has the details filled in. Hopefully WMC will gracefully handle updates as Rovi fills in the details. I'll keep you updated....
post #183 of 944 Old 07-25-2015, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by E55 KEV View Post
Thanks. I am now getting guides from rovi,using my actual zip, however, it seems to have a problem recorded NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt. I can't get none of my 3 machines to record the series everyday. I have to record each daily episode manually and only 1 at a time. When I select Record Series it only records one episode and all the other broadcast have a lower-case letter "i". If I manually setup to record Mondays News it will delete Sundays and Tuesdays and Wednesday etc.

Other shows are recording series just fine.

FYI, also still not receiving emails when this thread has new posts. I get other AVS Forum post updates. Strange.
I'm having a similiar issue. I'm trying to make a series recording of Fùtbol Mexicano. The problem is that sometimes they spell it as Fùtbol mexicano. So all episodes are not recording. It's strange because the lower case "m" is random. In other words sometimes they spell it differently even though it's on the same channel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 944 Old 07-25-2015, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E55 KEV View Post
... It seems to have a problem recorded NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt. I can't get [any] of my 3 machines to record the series everyday. I have to record each daily episode manually and only 1 at a time. When I select Record Series it only records one episode and all the other broadcast have a lower-case letter "i". If I manually setup to record Mondays News it will delete Sundays and Tuesdays and Wednesday etc.
This is WMC's behavior when Rovi uses a generic description. Zap2it had some metadata (probably original air date) that let WMC know each day's news was different. But with Rovi's generic descriptions, WMC thinks it's the same show airing reruns over and over, so it just records the first and ignores the rest (that's what the "i" means). I can think of two possible solutions, but I'm not holding my breath for either:
  • Get Rovi to fix the guides so WMC knows every airing of the news is a different show; or
  • A hotfix or add-in for WMC to let it blindly record all episodes of a show, without regard to whether or not they appear to be reruns of shows already recorded.

In a way, WMC is just slightly too intelligent to deal with this. It's trying to avoid wasting storage space by not recording reruns of the same show over and over, but with these new guides, sometimes we need it to just be "dumb" and record every episode.
post #185 of 944 Old 07-25-2015, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo90017 View Post
I'm having a similiar issue. I'm trying to make a series recording of Fùtbol Mexicano. The problem is that sometimes they spell it as Fùtbol mexicano. So all episodes are not recording. It's strange because the lower case "m" is random. In other words sometimes they spell it differently even though it's on the same channel.
You'd think WMC would do case-insensitive name comparisons! But I suppose you could just set up two series: one for Fùtbol Mexicano and another for Fùtbol mexicano. You'd need to find an example of each variation and set each one up for series recording as if they were two different series.
post #186 of 944 Old 07-25-2015, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeA View Post
Another Vista holdout here.

A couple of days ago I saw that the EPG was running out of data. Did a manual guide update from within WMC and everything changed over without a hitch. Programmed recording took place as normal.
I think you're the first person in all of this to confirm getting the new guide in Vista. It's good to hear, mine still hasn't switched over so I set up a Win7 install today thinking I'd need it. I'll try what worked there and maybe it can keep my Vista install going.
post #187 of 944 Old 07-25-2015, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 18
well I am getting some weird stuff today. 2 channels just don't have a signal, worked fine last night.
when I enter wmc I am always on the selection for recorded and never on the tv screen. Takes almost a minute to get a channel when I pick it from the guide.
last thing I tried going thru the tv setup and it says there is no data to download.

damn this has more bugs than vista LOL
Wait I thought balmer quit, maybe he just took over this department.
post #188 of 944 Old 07-25-2015, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Houston, we have no problem (OTA through HD HomeRun). I was getting no updates through zap2it. Just did Setup TV Signal (I previously restarted hoping it would snap in to Rovi on its own, but it didn't). All channels we watch were there with unchanged numbers, and we got a bunch of extra ones in the guide (probably from neighboring areas) that we have no signal on, so I may delete them if I feel like doing it. The guide appears to be complete, and the recording settings are unaffected. After reading all this, I was prepared for a major hassle, but it turned out to be simple and easy.
post #189 of 944 Old 07-25-2015, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2518 Post(s)
Liked: 2149
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ79 View Post
I was prepared for a major hassle, but it turned out to be simple and easy.
Let's see what you have tomorrow!

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
post #190 of 944 Old 07-26-2015, 05:03 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked: 3069
I'm not using WMC, but I use mc2xml to get my guide information from Microsoft. I only have data past today for one channel. The rest are blank. I tried the terrestrial listings (what I normally use) and the listing for the local cable company.

Edit: Missed this on the mc2xml page when I skimmed it before

Microsoft's (newest) service: If you have used Windows 7 or 8 you might have noticed more program information in the guide. It uses a completely new TV data service that seems to support everything that the microsoft legacy service supported, but adds full ATSC/subchannel support ("Digital Terrestrial"), plus listings include writer/producer credits, some season info, DVD cover & program images, as well as other miscellaneous program details. (note: Microsoft might have a North American focus?)

Support for this new service in mc2xml is working, and now donators above the $20 level are welcome to request this version if they want to try it out (please specify operating system).

Last edited by Stereodude; 07-26-2015 at 05:12 AM.
post #191 of 944 Old 07-26-2015, 12:25 PM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelWill View Post
I think you're the first person in all of this to confirm getting the new guide in Vista. It's good to hear, mine still hasn't switched over
I'm also anxious about the future of the legacy service since mine hasn't switched over either, but I spotted one more encouraging post in that voluminous Green Button thread. Looks like I'm too newbie to post a link here, but it's post #977 by tidano on page 49.
post #192 of 944 Old 07-26-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
I'm not using WMC, but I use mc2xml to get my guide information from Microsoft. I only have data past today for one channel. The rest are blank.
You could subscribe to Schedules Direct for $25 a year. NextPVR has native support for their guide listings, or you could use the free version of mc2xml with an appropriate batch file. However Schedules Direct obtains EPG data from Zap2It, and it's an open question whether Zap2It will survive now that Microsoft has switched to Rovi. If users of PVR software would rather use donationware to illicitly download WMC data from Microsoft servers, then the answer is probably "no." What happens when Microsoft ends all support for WMC? Gotta rent a cable box to get an EPG. Americans really should demand that broadcasters include ample EPG data in their broadcast streams, like they do in the UK.
post #193 of 944 Old 07-26-2015, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abzyx View Post
Schedules Direct obtains EPG data from Zap2It, and it's an open question whether Zap2It will survive now that Microsoft has switched to Rovi.
I'm not terribly worried. Zap2it is owned by Tribune Media Services, which does have at least one other customer for their guides: a little company you may have heard of called TiVo.
Quote:
Americans really should demand that broadcasters include ample EPG data in their broadcast streams, like they do in the UK.
On that, I agree 100%.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 07-26-2015 at 02:56 PM.
post #194 of 944 Old 07-26-2015, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Apparently, zap2it is now calling themselves Gracenote. Seems they do epgs for both Tivo and DirecTV.
post #195 of 944 Old 07-26-2015, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 18
does Schedules Direct incorporate into wmc or just some plug in we have to muck with.

Was thinking of changing from wmc to kodi for a while now, anyone have any first hand exp with this and what did you use?
post #196 of 944 Old 07-26-2015, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Schedules Direct uses a standard .xmltv format, and I've seen some 3rd-party tools to import .xmltv files into WMC. But Schedules Direct is only supposed to be used with freeware PVR software, which excludes WMC.

AFAIK, WMC's new Rovi-supplied guides contain only generic descriptions for at least two networks: Retro TV and Estrella TV (Spanish). Since generic descriptions disable WMC series recording, fans of those networks may need to consider alternatives if Rovi doesn't respond to complaints soon.
post #197 of 944 Old 07-26-2015, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by etrin View Post
Was thinking of changing from wmc to kodi for a while now, anyone have any first hand exp with this and what did you use?
One option is listed in my signature. I switched several months ago and DVBLink just added a few new features that closed out any complaints I had about lack of.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
post #198 of 944 Old 07-26-2015, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm also anxious about the future of the legacy service since mine hasn't switched over either, but I spotted one more encouraging post in that voluminous Green Button thread. Looks like I'm too newbie to post a link here, but it's post #977 by tidano on page 49.
That's good to see too. I wasn't able to get my Vista install to change over today. I may just move to Win7 since the hard part's done. I installed Win10 a couple of weeks ago thinking I'd possibly migrate over to that & use nextpvr but the legacy server sort of throws that into question too. Three OS's on this machine now because none of them can do everything I need.
post #199 of 944 Old 07-26-2015, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 34
This morning I decided to try to download the Rovi guide data on a secondary computer since the Zap2it data had run out a couple of days ago. All I did was rerun tv setup and it switched over.

I then checked to see what channels were listed because the Rovi guide was missing channels on the computer I had already switched over. All of the channels that were supposed to be there were there on the secondary computer. Back to the first computer and reran tv setup and the channel lineup is back to what it should be.

Both are computers are running Windows 7 Pro and using OTA tv.
post #200 of 944 Old 07-26-2015, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 13
Can someone from the SF Bay Area please share a working zip code? I have been without guide for a week.
post #201 of 944 Old 07-26-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post
Apparently, zap2it is now calling themselves Gracenote. Seems they do epgs for both Tivo and DirecTV.
The same Gracenote that shows up on my XM radio?
Probably not too much to worry about, in that case (as I suspected from the beginning).

post #202 of 944 Old 07-26-2015, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Schedules Direct uses a standard .xmltv format, and I've seen some 3rd-party tools to import .xmltv files into WMC. But Schedules Direct is only supposed to be used with freeware PVR software, which excludes WMC.

AFAIK, WMC's new Rovi-supplied guides contain only generic descriptions for at least two networks: Retro TV and Estrella TV (Spanish). Since generic descriptions disable WMC series recording, fans of those networks may need to consider alternatives if Rovi doesn't respond to complaints soon.
Estrella TV info shows up fine for me in 90017 using the new version of mc2xml.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Estrella TV.PNG
Views:	423
Size:	502.2 KB
ID:	853498  
post #203 of 944 Old 07-26-2015, 10:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrach View Post
Just for grins has anybody in the Bay area tried the Rovi Corp. headquarters zip code in Santa Clara CA for listings? It's 95050.
FWIW, 95050 does not work.
post #204 of 944 Old 07-26-2015, 10:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 943
At a loss here. Three HTPCs and 2 of them changed fine (zip 98506). They are Win7 ULT machines. Third one (Win7 Pro) got 'stuck' on Zap2It and it even ran out today. Tried a bunch of times to reload guide or run setup, tried different Zips, corrupted a WMC file to force a full setup,,, nothing. Here's where it gets even weirder. I just now installed (formatted disk, full install) Win7 HP on it and it still can't find a guide. What to do???

🔥🔥🔥 Sent from my Samsung Note 7 Using Ove Glove™ 🔥🔥🔥
post #205 of 944 Old 07-26-2015, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelation View Post
Can someone from the SF Bay Area please share a working zip code? I have been without guide for a week.
I'm from the Bay Area. Try these zip codes 94061 and 94577.
post #206 of 944 Old 07-27-2015, 03:44 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Anyone who's still using Vista have their WMC change over the new guide provider yet? Mine's still on Zap2it and my guide data runs out on the 26th. I've tried manually running wmcupdate, setting up the guide in WMC again, and even changing the servers in the hosts file but it just won't grab the Rovi EPG.
Were you able to resolve this problem for Vista? I didn't even know anything was up regarding this guide data change until yesterday. I'd been having funny stuff happen to the guide, but I'd just go in and re-map the channel listings and everything seemed to work again. As of yesterday everything is gone and I can't get it back.
post #207 of 944 Old 07-27-2015, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
I just now installed (formatted disk, full install) Win7 HP on it and it still can't find a guide. What to do???
Try Guidetool?

post #208 of 944 Old 07-27-2015, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 3068 Post(s)
Liked: 1393
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
Try Guidetool?
Guide Tool only works if you have a guide in the first place. Running mcupdate a couple of times and the DNS tricks or nearby zips should do it.
post #209 of 944 Old 07-27-2015, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakerx View Post
Were you able to resolve this problem for Vista? I didn't even know anything was up regarding this guide data change until yesterday. I'd been having funny stuff happen to the guide, but I'd just go in and re-map the channel listings and everything seemed to work again. As of yesterday everything is gone and I can't get it back.
No, I got a fresh Win7 install on the same hardware to change to the new guide, but what worked there didn't work on the Vista install. I'm wondering if the couple of people who have it working on Vista have the TV pack installed.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2331431,00.asp
Mine does not, but if I can find where to still download it I'll try it.

Edit: Hot damn that worked. Installed the pack, rebooted, set up TV again and had two guide listings to choose from. I recognized the Rovi one from the Win7 setup, chose it, and now have the guide listings in Vista. Here's where I got the TV pack:
http://digiex.net/guides-reviews/gui...ion-guide.html
Abzyx likes this.

Last edited by SteelWill; 07-27-2015 at 07:52 AM.
post #210 of 944 Old 07-27-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
I'm wondering if the couple of people who have it working on Vista have the TV pack installed...Hot damn that worked. Installed the pack, rebooted, set up TV again and had two guide listings to choose from. I recognized the Rovi one from the Win7 setup, chose it, and now have the guide listings in Vista.
Now that's interesting SteelWill. I considered installing TV Pack years ago, but it sounded a little scary. Now I'm up on the diving board again, trying to work up the nerve to take the plunge. Was your Vista PC fully updated with SP2 etc? As I recall, a clean install of SP1 was recommended for the TV Pack

But can we really say definitely that Microsoft's legacy service is gone forever? Who could we ask...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page