What Will the Post-WMC World Look Like? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #61 of 111 Old 08-06-2015, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1035
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
Someone said it in another thread, but if it gets bad it will promote piracy. Services such as Netflix and Amazon Prime help curb piracy, and if you don't think that's true, you are crazy. Sure, they don't have everything, but they are a nod in the right direction. For $9 a month, I can have access to a (limited) library of movies and TV with no commercials, no interruptions, and it is on-demand.
I'm not saying these services are bad, the two you mentioned are great. But they (usually) don't carry first-run shows so if you drop cable you're always behind what's current. It might reduce piracy some, but plenty of folks want first-run stuff and will still pirate that. And then there's sports, news, etc.

Bottom line is that for folks that use DVRs with cable or OTA and want the current stuff including sports and news, the streaming future sucks for all the reasons I mentioned. It's not about having a lot of content, it's about WHICH content and our control over how we view it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 111 Old 08-06-2015, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kressilac View Post
The day MS kills the guide is the day many of us have to bite the bullet on multiple cable set-top box rentals per month or dive into the realm of matrixed video switching to reduce the $17 per month charge. It's stupid and also a foregone conclusion. Cable companies would like nothing more than to kill the cable card and they know it is coming. (watches them point a finger at me and laugh because the cable companies are that evil.)
Or just get a Tivo with Minis and be done with it. Pays for itself in less than 2 years vs. renting STBs, can transfer shows to/from a PC or view your library with Plex etc. Basic reason why I left WMC last year, along with the increasing flakiness of extenders on the WMC setup that I had.
post #63 of 111 Old 08-06-2015, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4156 Post(s)
Liked: 2388
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Bottom line is that for folks that use DVRs with cable or OTA and want the current stuff including sports and news, the streaming future sucks for all the reasons I mentioned. It's not about having a lot of content, it's about WHICH content and our control over how we view it.
I personally find that little of what I watch is worth having "control" over. Most stuff I just watch and delete, and I almost never watch anything the day it airs anyway, so I'd be fine with streaming that instead.

The stuff I do like/care about enough to want control over, I buy. The quality isn't high enough via "broadcast" to keep anyway, what with commercials and logos and tickers/scrolls all over.
LastButNotLeast and staknhalo like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 111 Old 08-06-2015, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Jriver is your choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstaack View Post
My media entertainment is controlled by WMC through a HTPC. I use it to access recorded DVDs, OTA TV, and Netflix. My media needs are few, but they have been upset by Microsofts recent actions. I like the ease of controlling all media through a HTPC, so what options do I currently have and what better options are on the horizon?

I don't like spending alot of time fiddling with a computer, and my wife likes it even less. Assassin got me up and running a couple of years ago. It is easy to use on a single remote and I haven't messed with it since (what happen to Assassin's blog BTW?). Now it seems that my HTPC will have to be replaced with separate STBs? I hope not.
Greetings:
Look no further.. www.jriver.com.
Join the forum, make friends, join the conversation.

Your choice- Mac, Windows, Linux.

We just started Jriver version 21, a few days ago.

George Omoregie.
post #65 of 111 Old 08-08-2015, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
I personally find that little of what I watch is worth having "control" over. Most stuff I just watch and delete, and I almost never watch anything the day it airs anyway, so I'd be fine with streaming that instead.

The stuff I do like/care about enough to want control over, I buy. The quality isn't high enough via "broadcast" to keep anyway, what with commercials and logos and tickers/scrolls all over.
Sure, but that's just you. I also watch and delete but I also like to skip commercials, something that you can't always do with streaming. Not to mention that I pretty well never watch sports live because there are way too many commercials, and you can't get a lot of events streamed after the fact with or without commercials.

Bottom line is that you can certainly replicate a ton of stuff with streaming, but it won't be a better experience for everyone and will likely cost you nearly as much if not more than using a DVR and a sub. Assuming you know how to work a deal with your provider, of course - I've had double play with Comcast for years and it's just now reached $100 a month for 75mb HSI + all channels + HBO.
post #66 of 111 Old 08-10-2015, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1950 Post(s)
Liked: 626
I trust Silicondust to succeed in their current endeavor, and we will have a new choice to DVR our programs with.
post #67 of 111 Old 08-10-2015, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Looks like it did at Christmas 2014 when I gave up on WMC so I could easily watch OTA DVR content on more devices. This was after I already gave up on it for music / photo / home movie management.

Argus TV Server
Kodi clients

Also since Bluray was a pain I went with a standalone player. And since WMC never had any good plugins except for Netflix I have a Apple TV.

Apple TV also shares my music, photos and video since it allows me to easily integrate with personal devices (iPad / iPod / iPhone). Yes I bought into the Apple eco system because it makes my life easier when managing and sharing all the content I already own.

Once upon a time I had one box for all my content, WMC, but now I have 3. Too bad MS ecosystem never evolved.
post #68 of 111 Old 08-10-2015, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone give me the link to the new product they are coming out with
I haven't did 10 yet on mc pc but will for the newer codecs and dolby digital support in the rowser
post #69 of 111 Old 08-10-2015, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 3103 Post(s)
Liked: 1406
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmann304 View Post
Can someone give me the link to the new product they are coming out with
I haven't did 10 yet on mc pc but will for the newer codecs and dolby digital support in the rowser
Yes, definitely worth it to get new codec support for codecs you can already get from Shark and lose all DVR capability. You should "upgrade" right away.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...vr-re-imagined

Not looking very good so far. No grid guide like WMC (probably never), and no protected content support yet.

I think I'll stick with what actually works for now.
htpcforever likes this.
post #70 of 111 Old 08-10-2015, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1950 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Don't get me wrong, I'm sticking with what works also. But if and when the day comes, I'm optimistic there will be options. And the SD solution shouldn't look good now, it's in its early alpha stages.
post #71 of 111 Old 08-14-2015, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked: 617
As of last night I no longer have Windows Media Center in my home. I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 (with hesitation) and I am officially done with WMC.

Since the beginning of July I have been using Android TV as my main interface for my living room and bedroom setups. Through the use of an Nvidia Shield and a Nexus Player, I am enjoying the new interface and experience.

I currently do not have a DVR system running and I am waiting for the Silicon Dust DVR Solution. I have an HD HomeRun Duel and Extend in my set up and I'm able to watch Live TV using Android TV's Native Live TV App. I prefer it over both the HD HomeRun View and Kodi solutions because of stability.

Add Pluto TV to the mix and this makes Android's Live TV Solution a strong contender IMO.
post #72 of 111 Old 08-14-2015, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
As of last night I no longer have Windows Media Center in my home. I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 (with hesitation) and I am officially done with WMC.

Since the beginning of July I have been using Android TV as my main interface for my living room and bedroom setups. Through the use of an Nvidia Shield and a Nexus Player, I am enjoying the new interface and experience.

I currently do not have a DVR system running and I am waiting for the Silicon Dust DVR Solution. I have an HD HomeRun Duel and Extend in my set up and I'm able to watch Live TV using Android TV's Native Live TV App. I prefer it over both the HD HomeRun View and Kodi solutions because of stability.

Add Pluto TV to the mix and this makes Android's Live TV Solution a strong contender IMO.
Live Channels is very smooth, but it is very lacking in some features that still drives me crazy. Guide data only goes out 3 or 4 hours and audio is output as PCM...no 5.1 (not an issue for some). It also drives me crazy that it doesn't automatically switch aspect ratios when switching between 16:9 and 4:3 video. Many of these issues are limitations of HDHomerun View that Live Channels feeds off of. OTA guide data here in the Atlanta area is incorrect or completely missing for some of the channels.
post #73 of 111 Old 08-14-2015, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post

While you are waiting for SD to get their DVR running, with your existing equipment, there are several inexpensive options to get a DVR running.
post #74 of 111 Old 08-14-2015, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked: 617
I'm just going to wait. I've worked with Next PVR and other PVR apps via Xbmc/Kodi in the past and I just don't have the patience anymore messing with them. I lost all confidence in Broadcast Television as a whole and the only show I was recording was Hannibal. Not a big deal, for I do not plan on recording a lot of content this up and coming season.
post #75 of 111 Old 08-15-2015, 03:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 16
As a WMC user for several years, I was disappointed with the lack of options as easy to use as WMC in a Win 10 world. I tried quite a few alternatives (including Jriver) and none of them match WMC for simplicity and inclusiveness. So, when I saw that Tivo is having a sale on their Roamio box, I couldn't pass it up. For the typical cost of HTPC hardware ($300), you get a Tivo box with lifetime subscription. And if for some weird reason the WAF on the Tivo is not up to par, I can get all my money back via eBay. I wonder if the current Tivo sale was influenced by the WMC issues surrounding the W10 debut (with no WMC) and the Rovi guide switchover?
post #76 of 111 Old 08-15-2015, 03:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstaack View Post
My media entertainment is controlled by WMC through a HTPC. I use it to access recorded DVDs, OTA TV, and Netflix. My media needs are few, but they have been upset by Microsofts recent actions. I like the ease of controlling all media through a HTPC, so what options do I currently have and what better options are on the horizon?

I don't like spending alot of time fiddling with a computer, and my wife likes it even less. Assassin got me up and running a couple of years ago. It is easy to use on a single remote and I haven't messed with it since (what happen to Assassin's blog BTW?). Now it seems that my HTPC will have to be replaced with separate STBs? I hope not.
It's going to be a world of ****ty, overpriced cable company set-top boxes and DRM'd recordings.

So in other words, it's going to be a world that I won't be participating in.
post #77 of 111 Old 08-15-2015, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you want to ignore a very good Tivo whole-home solution that already handles DRM'd recordings, sure. But it's certainly not crap, overpriced, or a cable company box.

Cablecards will be around for years, there's no need to jump off the ship yet.
post #78 of 111 Old 08-15-2015, 09:24 AM

Yep, the current Tivo promo and recent Rovi troubles sealed the deal for me as well. Now you can get an excellent appliance based solution for a reasonable amount of money, which was what I was seeking when I built an HTPC in the first place. Now I have it. I had intended to stick with WMC to the end, but this Tivo price drop came at the perfect time.
post #79 of 111 Old 08-15-2015, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 View Post
I wonder if the current Tivo sale was influenced by the WMC issues surrounding the W10 debut (with no WMC) and the Rovi guide switchover?
TiVo is about to release a new series, the Bolt, and are clearing out inventory. I am so close to biting on this. As you said, $300 for a box and lifetime is a pretty good deal.

post #80 of 111 Old 08-15-2015, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post
TiVo is about to release a new series, the Bolt, and are clearing out inventory. I am so close to biting on this. As you said, $300 for a box and lifetime is a pretty good deal.
Lots of people mention the Bolt debut as the main driving force behind the sale, but the sale is really on the lifetime sub price not on the hardware. The OTA Roamio has been $50 for quite some time and I assume if there's Bolt version, it will also be $50. What has changed is that the lifetime sub price was cut dramatically. Also, the higher end units (Plus, Pro) prices have not been cut. Who would Tivo entice with their "low end" units on sale? Cost conscious cable cord cutters (with the OTA unit) and/or WMC users.
post #81 of 111 Old 08-15-2015, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Rovi broke WMC for me.

In my system, the Rovi guide data would look like this for your Charlie's Angels example: "The adventures of three sexy female private eyes."

It's guide data only in the sense that it shows you what title is playing on the channel. It does not show episode information or even a season/episode number. Combine that with local channels disappearing on Cable lineups and OTA guide information going completely missing on many OTA channels and you now have a broken WMC system. Rovi did for me what Windows 10 couldn't -- it drove me off from WMC. I could put up with WMC on Win7 as long as the guide data was still there but after Rovi, it wasn't. I think the Rovi issues are more prominent on OTA channels and smaller markets -- maybe that's why some people aren't having issues and others are saying that OTA no longer works. I went to a Tivo solution because of the summer sale but if I kept the HTPC, I'd be looking at solutions compatible with Schedules Direct and that had cable card support hoping eventually that the Silicon Dust DVR would bring back the DRM channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
I don't know what's wrong with yours, but I just pulled up my guide, selected a show, and had my full menu to record. We are currently recording several shows on our PCs, both over antenna and over cable, and don't have any issues.

post #82 of 111 Old 08-15-2015, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Lots of people mention the Bolt debut as the main driving force behind the sale, but the sale is really on the lifetime sub price not on the hardware. The OTA Roamio has been $50 for quite some time and I assume if there's Bolt version, it will also be $50. What has changed is that the lifetime sub price was cut dramatically. Also, the higher end units (Plus, Pro) prices have not been cut. Who would Tivo entice with their "low end" units on sale? Cost conscious cable cord cutters (with the OTA unit) and/or WMC users.
They were cut earlier in the summer. A while ago they had "sold out" across the image of the other units on the summer sale page, but they are gone now. The lifetime was also cut, but not like it is now. I don't think that there are enough wmc users to factor into to TiVo's plans. We are, and always have been, a niche within a niche. They did buy Aero, though, so I think that they are actively courting cord cutters.

I think that you said that you took advantage of the deal, how is the interface? If I remember, it's in HD now, correct? how is the speed of the apps like Netflix? I am still thinking about it. Thanks!

post #83 of 111 Old 08-15-2015, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post
I think that you said that you took advantage of the deal, how is the interface? If I remember, it's in HD now, correct? how is the speed of the apps like Netflix? I am still thinking about it. Thanks!
I don't have the Roamio yet - just shipped and I won't have it set up for another 2 weeks. I assume it's the same interface as on the Premiere, which is HD and there will be UI speed improvement over the Premiere.
hogues likes this.
post #84 of 111 Old 08-15-2015, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
I don't have the Roamio yet - just shipped and I won't have it set up for another 2 weeks. I assume it's the same interface as on the Premiere, which is HD and there will be UI speed improvement over the Premiere.
Nice, I'll be interested to hear what you think about it vs wmc.

post #85 of 111 Old 08-16-2015, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I ran both setups in my house (WMC and Tivo) - I appreciate all the flexibility you get with a PC but hated the extender options, and WMC often had issues with updates etc.

A Tivo with a few Minis provides a much better unified experience IMO, especially when you get almost all the features of a PC-based system with add-ons like Plex, pyTivo, and kmttg. Plus all the net streaming apps that Tivo added that couldn't be done in a unified way on WMC (Amazon Prime, Youtube, Netflix, Hulu Plus etc.).

More importantly for me, the Tivo has a much higher WAF overall and includes Xfinity OnDemand which the wife uses all the time. The UI is easier to use and just works plus I don't have to boot up power-sucking Xboxes all the time.
post #86 of 111 Old 08-16-2015, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
I ran both setups in my house (WMC and Tivo) - I appreciate all the flexibility you get with a PC but hated the extender options, and WMC often had issues with updates etc.

A Tivo with a few Minis provides a much better unified experience IMO, especially when you get almost all the features of a PC-based system with add-ons like Plex, pyTivo, and kmttg. Plus all the net streaming apps that Tivo added that couldn't be done in a unified way on WMC (Amazon Prime, Youtube, Netflix, Hulu Plus etc.).

More importantly for me, the Tivo has a much higher WAF overall and includes Xfinity OnDemand which the wife uses all the time. The UI is easier to use and just works plus I don't have to boot up power-sucking Xboxes all the time.
I don't know much about the hardware/applications you mention. Is Plex integration into Tivo as seamless as WMC? I use WMC to listen to my music from my server with a slide show from my personal photos. Is that something Plex does?

Lars
post #87 of 111 Old 08-17-2015, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Is there a Media Browser add on for Tivo where I can have it point to my server?
post #88 of 111 Old 08-17-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Yep, the current Tivo promo and recent Rovi troubles sealed the deal for me as well. Now you can get an excellent appliance based solution for a reasonable amount of money, which was what I was seeking when I built an HTPC in the first place. Now I have it. I had intended to stick with WMC to the end, but this Tivo price drop came at the perfect time.
Do you store movies on the network for easy use, such as with Media Browser? If so, how do you access them now?
post #89 of 111 Old 08-17-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcforever View Post
Do you store movies on the network for easy use, such as with Media Browser? If so, how do you access them now?
No I don't. I used WMC and now Tivo mainly for live and recorded TV. The few movies I did have, I simply used the WMC interface. My understanding is that pyTivo or Plex is the best way to stream your personal video/music/photo libraries, but I haven't used it myself yet. I plan to set up pyTivo to access my old WMC recordings via Tivo.

If Emby works well for you now, may as well continue using it, otherwise you'll have to change your username
post #90 of 111 Old 08-17-2015, 03:17 PM

Don't I know it! lol I am actually still using MediaBrowser - never bothered to move to Emby.

I am worried about the loss of Netflix streaming in WMC in September...wife wants to keep streaming and NOT use a keyboard/mouse to do it. So I am leaning towards TIVO land now.

EDIT: Hmmm...but maybe one of the new, faster, Roku 2 boxes will do what I want and I keep the rest of WMC. Much cheaper and not too complex for the family.

Last edited by htpcforever; 08-17-2015 at 04:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page