HDHomeRun Dual Signal Quality - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-25-2015, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HDHomeRun Dual Signal Quality

I've got an HDHomeRun Dual fed by a Mohu Sky 60. Most channels are perfect, very minor glitches every now and then but the HDHomeRun config utility reports 100% for Sig Strength, Sig Quality, and Symbol quality. One channel is not acceptable: Signal Quality is 60-75% while the Strength and Symbol quality are 100%.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8e039003e71ced

WBZ-TV Channel 30 is the problem channel.

The interesting item is that

WFXT-DT
WLVI
WHDH-TV

All are perfect (100% on all metrics) and according to TV Fool, WBZ-TV should be better?

The neighboring affiliate WPRI-TV does perform better which agrees with TV Fool, and we tune to this channel often to mitigate buffering and digital artifacts; however, there are times the two stations have different content and I'd like to be able to tune in on WBZ-TV in a reliable manner.

My signal path is as follows:

Mohu Sky 60 mounted in garage at about 12-15ft above ground level pointed pretty close to inline with the diagram on tv fool for channel 30
Mohu Sky USB Powered amplifier
+15dB CATV amplifier
-3.5dB splitter
HDHomeRun Dual

I've tried, Mohu amplifier direct to HDHomeRun and other combinations altering the input power level, but the most success i've had in boosting the signal quality was to route the Coax from the antenna in a slight different manner away from mains. This gave a bump of about 10% in signal quality, but still not enough to make live sports watchable without getting frustrated.

Odd behavior that I think is completely coincidental:

It appears that the CBS local news, commercials, etc appear relatively stable. If the content goes back to a national feed it seems to degrade. Example: "Watch this at 11p" is clear, return to BigBangTheory and the signal gets choppy and has digital artifacts.

Any thoughts on what I could do to improve the setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-25-2015, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazinAV View Post
Any thoughts on what I could do to improve the setup?
Two generic suggestions. Try aiming the antenna in each direction slightly from where it's currently. I had to give up some strength in the strongest to gain (just enough) in the weakest. Also, if possible raise the antenna up a few feet. Mine is attic mounted over the garage and before I raised it a few times a month tops I would have an issue with one channel. After it's been years with zero issues. Not sure how 24" can make such a difference and I figure I got lucky but it can't hurt.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
post #3 of 10 Old 08-25-2015, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Do the signal strength/quality and symbol quality all drop to zero for an instant approximately every 30 seconds?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-26-2015, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hi,

Nick here from Silicondust.

As the first test I would recommend removing one of the two amplifiers.
If the problem station is a stronger signal it could be that the first amplifier is overloading the second amplifier, or the two combined are overloading the HDHomeRun.

You don't need 100% signal strength.

Nick
post #5 of 10 Old 08-27-2015, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaGeorge View Post
Do the signal strength/quality and symbol quality all drop to zero for an instant approximately every 30 seconds?
No, I found that bug somewhere and I don't think I have it.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-27-2015, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafa View Post
Hi,

Nick here from Silicondust.

As the first test I would recommend removing one of the two amplifiers.
If the problem station is a stronger signal it could be that the first amplifier is overloading the second amplifier, or the two combined are overloading the HDHomeRun.

You don't need 100% signal strength.

Nick
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've tried the following configurations:

Mohu Sky HD Amplifier direct to HomeRun, the strength and symbol quality are 100%, signal quality is the same, about 60-75%

I believe, this first amplifier is required. If I plug the antenna directly into the HD HomeRun, everything is dead, and if I plug it into the standard TV amp, same thing.

So from there:

Sky HD Amp -> +15dB amp -> -3.5dB Splitter -> HomeRun = 60-75%
Sky HD Amp -> +15dB amp -> -7 dB Splitter -> HomeRun = 60-75%

I do see some peaks to 80% every now and then, which is an improvement, but not perfect.

Like I said before, the Mohu Sky coax was routed parallel to some AC voltage, within 6" for 18" total, then perpendicular to the mains input to my AC Panel. In this routing I was seeing 55-65% signal quality. Look 60Hz interference!! So I moved the coax to be farther away from AC by ~12" for a short distance, approx 3" of the coax run in parallel at a 12" distance, and then it is several feet away. This boosted my signal quality.

I think it's pretty obvious it is my wiring that is causing the injection of noise, I'm just unsure why that specific channel is so susceptible. I am going to attempt to monitor the signal quality while adjusting the pitch and yaw of the antenna. If I can boost the signal quality to 80% stable, I think it will be fairly resolvable.

Thanks again Nick!! When are you guys going to make a rack mountable box with 4-5 tuners??
post #7 of 10 Old 08-27-2015, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1950 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazinAV View Post
Thanks again Nick!! When are you guys going to make a rack mountable box with 4-5 tuners??
http://www.silicondust.com/products/...tech3-6cc-3x2/
post #8 of 10 Old 10-13-2019, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Saving for later
post #9 of 10 Old 10-13-2019, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 38
CBS & FOX locals

I haven't been able to tune in both CBS & FOX locals for the past 24 hrs and I've tried all of these devices: Apple TV 4K Insta TV
Nvidia Shield TV 2017 Live Channels
Lenovo i7 gen 8 laptop HDHome run app
what gives?
post #10 of 10 Old 10-14-2019, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
WTF dude! You guys can build a 36-tuner cablecard model yet you still can't deliver on the 6-tuner model you've been promising for years? That's just lame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page