Best HTPC Keyboard / Remote - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #31 of 52 Old 11-23-2015, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 820
I have (and use) the Logitech k400 but I prefer the Microsoft All-In-One Media Keyboard. The touchpad works a lot better and on various PCs it's recognized at boot time (getting into setup, etc) where the k400 isn't. Range hasn't been an issue. Plus if I remember correctly a lot of the special keys such as the function keys don't require two key strokes.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 11-23-2015, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 52
My K400 is identified by the BIOS of both computers I use it on. Might just be a BIOS setting that you need to flip.
post #33 of 52 Old 11-23-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual98 View Post
My K400 is identified by the BIOS of both computers I use it on. Might just be a BIOS setting that you need to flip.
Nope. If I remember correctly the Chromebox is one of them...

Installation, Dual Booting, USB booting:
Some keyboards seem to have issues working on the ChromeOS developer boot screen (before the OS is booted), and therefore cannot be used to setup/install Kodi on a ChromeBox, or to select between OSes in a dual boot setup. The Logitech K400 is one of these, so use another keyboard to install if yours doesn't appear to be working.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Chromebox

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 52 Old 11-23-2015, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

That's the problem, I have mine on actual computers and not Chromebox's.

I kid, I kid. Just a friendly zing.

I expect that it's the fault of the BIOS programmers in that instance and it's probably fairly low on their to-do list of things to fix.
post #35 of 52 Old 11-23-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual98 View Post
That's the problem, I have mine on actual computers and not Chromebox's.
Once rooted it is an "actual" computer.

post #36 of 52 Old 11-23-2015, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
Once rooted it is an "actual" computer.
I know, I was just giving you a hard time. Now if you had said that you were trying to use it on a Mac...
post #37 of 52 Old 11-23-2015, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I use a Lenovo little one. Got it on one of their regular sales for about $25 a couple of years ago. I also keep a full-sized Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse shoved under the couch in case I want to use the HTPC for any sort of longer-form input.
post #38 of 52 Old 11-23-2015, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
This one, but the price goes down from time to time:
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...Code=888011668
post #39 of 52 Old 11-23-2015, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Logitech Harmony One. For the odd computer config issue, then the K400. But 99.9% just the remote.
post #40 of 52 Old 11-23-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon View Post
I use a Lenovo little one. Got it on one of their regular sales for about $25 a couple of years ago.
I have one of those as well (haven't used it in years). It's missing all of the F keys. I do love the "mouse" as it works wonderfully.

post #41 of 52 Old 11-23-2015, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I use a K400 or Remote Desktop for maintenance/configuration, and a URC 850 (yeah, it's an old one) firing through Eventghost to Kodi for actual use. I can run everything on the screen within Kodi with the URC, including turning on and configuring my entire system with macros. The only thing I can't do right now is wake up the computer with the remote alone. Either I tap a key on the K400 or wake it up with the Kodi app, which uses Wake On LAN.

If I'm going to listen to music, I use the Kodi app to wake up the computer and queue up the playlist without ever turning on the TV. The URC handles playback volume and can also be used for transport control if I'm not in the app. When I'm done, the URC can shut down the system with another macro.
post #42 of 52 Old 11-23-2015, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajkrishock View Post
This is my custom unified remote app:

This is an older picture of it. I've changed the colors a bit and added a few buttons. It's based on a combination of several examples that are provided. I run it on a Samsung galaxy tab 4 7" tablet (which has an IR transmitter built in). If you can find the IR codes for your particular devices, I't's just a matter of adding those codes into the remote and you're good to go.
Nice picture? What's the name of the app? Free or $? Would very likely be nicer on my Galaxy S4 than the Peel remote adware app that came with it. (Or I could dig out my old Tungsten E2 or LifeDrive for a remote.)

I have a K400. It's light weight yet sturdy, the trackpad is good and the range is enough it works from across my living room. The only knock against it is that doofy colored lines design on the pad that looks like a 1980's Dixie Cup rejected design.

I tried a bunch of other wireless keyboards and mice. The range ran anywhere from about a foot to a max of 10 feet. Nothing reached out far enough except for a Rocketfish mouse, and that one abruptly cut off if I was sitting all the way back in my chair. Can't read the text on 1080p on a 37" from that far away anyway. Need something to make it larger than the largest unmodded WinXP can make it.
beerhunt likes this.
post #43 of 52 Old 11-24-2015, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzybody View Post
Nice picture? What's the name of the app? Free or $? Would very likely be nicer on my Galaxy S4 than the Peel remote adware app that came with it.
Unified Remote is $5 I think. The server app that you install on your HTPC is free, I believe. The remote I designed is mostly me peeling off code from some of the example remotes and slapping them onto my custom remote. I think I started with the windows media center remote and added example code from the numerical keypad for the number keys and the shortcut key example modified for the WMC shortcuts for Movies, Music, Live TV, etc..

It was a little more of a challenge finding the IR codes, but start at remotecentral.com. You should find what you're looking for. If your tablet supports IR code learning, your task just became easier. There's also some good tutorials available here. It'll take you a couple of days of tinkering, but the reward is a nice, complete, customized universal remote that you can change at will. It's a fine winter project!
post #44 of 52 Old 11-24-2015, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajkrishock View Post
Unified Remote is $5 I think. The server app that you install on your HTPC is free, I believe. The remote I designed is mostly me peeling off code from some of the example remotes and slapping them onto my custom remote. I think I started with the windows media center remote and added example code from the numerical keypad for the number keys and the shortcut key example modified for the WMC shortcuts for Movies, Music, Live TV, etc..

It was a little more of a challenge finding the IR codes, but start at remotecentral.com. You should find what you're looking for. If your tablet supports IR code learning, your task just became easier. There's also some good tutorials available here. It'll take you a couple of days of tinkering, but the reward is a nice, complete, customized universal remote that you can change at will. It's a fine winter project!
Going to do anything with your custom Android remote app or keep it all to yourself? Somewhere I have a JP1 programmable remote and a cable I made to program it. Very simple cable, only needed a resistor or two to connect to a parallel port. I also have a couple of CableOne remotes that need a slightly fancier cable to program.

An Android remote app that stands alone and does nothing but be a customizable remote, without popping up ads across the bottom or being integrated with a TV guide and/or streaming service, would suit me just fine to control my motley arrangement of entertainment stuff.

I even have an old ATi radio frequency computer remote (XP is the newest it supports) but quickly gave up on it because the mouse/disc control was simultaneously too laggy and too quick, making it near impossible to stop *on* any icons or buttons.
post #45 of 52 Old 11-24-2015, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 3074 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
It's not a custom app, just Unified Remote. You can install it and do the very same thing.
post #46 of 52 Old 11-25-2015, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzybody View Post
Going to do anything with your custom Android remote app or keep it all to yourself? Somewhere I have a JP1 programmable remote and a cable I made to program it. Very simple cable, only needed a resistor or two to connect to a parallel port. I also have a couple of CableOne remotes that need a slightly fancier cable to program.

An Android remote app that stands alone and does nothing but be a customizable remote, without popping up ads across the bottom or being integrated with a TV guide and/or streaming service, would suit me just fine to control my motley arrangement of entertainment stuff.

I even have an old ATi radio frequency computer remote (XP is the newest it supports) but quickly gave up on it because the mouse/disc control was simultaneously too laggy and too quick, making it near impossible to stop *on* any icons or buttons.
I'd be happy to send you my custom remote. I'm at work until later this afternoon, but I'll try to post a zip file for you. You'll need to install the unified remote server app on your computer and download the app to your tablet. I wouldn't buy it outright until you give it a test drive first.

One thing you may notice is that there may be a lag between a button press on the tablet and command execution on the HTPC. This is a well known problem on the unified remote forums, and you can search there for some suggestions on how to minimize it. I run the unified remote server app in real time mode using a batch file that loads on startup. This approach almost completely eliminates lag for me. I can provide that if you need it, too.

It might be worth looking into the capabilities of your tablet, too. Not all of them have IR, and some of the ones that do (like mine) are transmit only.. they don't receive (which means.. they can't learn an IR command). If you give me the brands and model numbers of your gear, I can try to look up the IR codes for you.
post #47 of 52 Old 11-26-2015, 06:14 AM

Attached is my custom remote for my primary HTPC. This one is installed in a subdirectory called "Custom" in the path:

C:\ProgramData\Unified Remote\Remotes

Extract all the files there, then restart your server and refresh your list of remotes on your tablet and it should show up. I think it's called "FamilyRoom" and it uses the windows media center icon.

Edit it to suit your taste. Post a screenshot if you do anything really creative. Always interested in improvements.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Custom.zip (15.1 KB, 63 views)
post #48 of 52 Old 11-26-2015, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm using the K400 and a Harmony One. Everything works very well!
post #49 of 52 Old 11-26-2015, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Anyone have a rec for a universal remote with keyboard? I now have an AVR, a HTC, HDMI switch and a PJ in each room, and since my gyrations died, I've used all the remotes, but figured today and this weekend would bet the time to get universals and get rid of all the individual remotes. Keyboard not required but would be a nice touch. I bought a couple Aerb's for the air mouse, but they don't control all the other components, so a universal plus the Aerb would work too (its got an unlit keyboard on the back).

Cheers and happy gobbles
Joel
post #50 of 52 Old 11-26-2015, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have the Logitech Harmony Universal with the Logitech Smart Keyboard Add on. I think the keyboard is identical to the K400.
post #51 of 52 Old 11-26-2015, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
I use a Lenovo little one. Got it on one of their regular sales for about $25 a couple of years ago. I also keep a full-sized Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse shoved under the couch in case I want to use the HTPC for any sort of longer-form input.
Quote:
This one, but the price goes down from time to time:
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...Code=888011668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
I have one of those as well (haven't used it in years). It's missing all of the F keys. I do love the "mouse" as it works wonderfully.
I am planning on adding this remote to my Christmas list. Glad to see there are some people who like it
beerhunt likes this.
post #52 of 52 Old 11-27-2015, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 943
K-400 Plus for $20: http://smile.amazon.com/Logitech-Wir...ords=k400+plus I'm in for one.

🔥🔥🔥 Sent from my Samsung Note 7 Using Ove Glove™ 🔥🔥🔥
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page