Originally Posted by mkohman
Guys, I have been following this thread for a little while but I need some help please. I want to try out this HDR to SDR with madVR but not sure how or what I need to do? I have a JVC x5900 and the HDR is ok but I think this may be better from what I have been reading. Apologies if this has already been covered but is there a quick guide on what settings I need to apply within madVR to get this working ? Also do I need to add like setting or a file etc? Thank you so much in advance for all your help!
Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
It's actually fairly simple:
- Under calibration, select the gamut (e.g. BT.2020) and gamma (e.g. 2.20 or 2.40) of your SDR calibration.
- Under devices -> hdr, select "convert HDR content to SDR by using pixel shader math."
- Enter a target nits. I would suggest starting at 200 nits, even if your peak nits is much lower. Increase until you get the brightness right to your tastes. There is no best setting for target nits. You will have to experiment.
- Leave the tone mapping curve at its default (BT.2390).
- Choose a gamut mapping algorithm. The two most popular gamut mapping algorithms appear to be "dumb - convert gamut late" and "complex scientific - RGB clip." You should probably try them both and determine which one you like.
- Leave fix too bright & saturated pixels at "dynamic."
- Check "measure each frame's peak luminance."
- And also check "restore details in compressed highlights."