madVR Player Support Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 154Likes

post #901 of 1099 Old 05-06-2019, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbn008 View Post
What is recommended for GPU and CPU queue size? I have 8 for both, but my render times are in the mid 30's (with the occasional frame drop).

CPU is an old i7-2600k
GPU is a GTX 1080

everything else seems to be running ok (using the latest test build for a JVC projector).
The queue sizes won't have any impact on rendering times.

Smaller queues = Greater responsiveness, but higher likelihood of dropped frames.
Larger queues = Slower responsiveness, but lower likelihood of dropped frames.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1099 Old 05-06-2019, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_jaguar View Post
Regarding triggering high lamp mode when playing an HDR movie, since I have a Logitech Harmony with the hub, would it be possible to send a specific code to the projector to switch over to high lamp mode when playing a HDR video? If there is a way for madVR to indicate that a HDR video is being played, I am wondering if I can use any available windows application to send a signal from my PC to the logitech hub and then have the hub send over the appropriate code to the projector? If you wondering why I am complicating this whole thing when the simpler solution is to connect the projector to my router, the issue is the lan cable. Since I am pre-wired, to the projector, I really don't want an ugly lan cable dangling from the ceiling to the projector.

And yes, I am have setup the LAV video splitter to default to "automatic" in order to make use of D3D11 native. Thanks for all the input.
If the projector lamp mode can be controlled by IR, then the Harmony remote could learn that command from the original remote or by getting the Hex code from the projector manufacturer.
post #903 of 1099 Old 05-06-2019, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daicon Frost View Post
same result :-(
look: https://a.uguu.se/q1q7sMVulLsX_t_vid...8890371561.mp4

besides have problem strage when active 4:4:4 $GB:
link video: https://a.uguu.se/73AdZTicNnNV_t_vid...4666641533.mp4

display active Dolby vision in black

and I can not do anything.
I have to disconnect the hdmi cable and reconnect.
I tested with 3 HDMI cables, same result

So that does not happen, I have to:
Activate resolution 1080
Activate 4: 4: 4 RGB
Activate 4k resolution

:-S

¿¿
Were you able to test RGB output? A PC should always be able to output in RGB.

I don't understand what the issue might be. As someone in another thread suggested, try setting madVR to fullscreen exclusive mode under general settings.

Are you sure you checked send hdr metadata to the display under hdr? Short of that, I would try installing another AMD video driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #904 of 1099 Old 05-06-2019, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4627 Post(s)
Liked: 2934
Quote:
Regarding triggering high lamp mode when playing an HDR movie, since I have a Logitech Harmony with the hub, would it be possible to send a specific code to the projector to switch over to high lamp mode when playing a HDR video? If there is a way for madVR to indicate that a HDR video is being played, I am wondering if I can use any available windows application to send a signal from my PC to the logitech hub and then have the hub send over the appropriate code to the projector? If you wondering why I am complicating this whole thing when the simpler solution is to connect the projector to my router, the issue is the lan cable. Since I am pre-wired, to the projector, I really don't want an ugly lan cable dangling from the ceiling to the projector.

And yes, I am have setup the LAV video splitter to default to "automatic" in order to make use of D3D11 native. Thanks for all the input.
So there are a few questions you've asked here:
1) Can madVR detect if HDR is being played and do something externally. Answer is no.
2) Can you tell your harmony to do something from an "available app". I don't know for sure, but I think the answer is also no.

That being said, I have this problem solved and automated here. When I watch an HDR movie, my projector is automatically sent into cinema1 mode and when the movie ends it's returned to "user1" mode. Sending this command via IP control is easy, and I've written an app to handle that on your HTPC via command line. You can also do it via IR if you have a USB UIRT. (http://usbuirt.com/).

The problem is when/how to make this happen. For me, I handle it with Kodi + external player support. My external player registered in Kodi is my app. My app then "does stuff" and launches the real external player. For me that's zoom player, but for my friend using the same setup, it's MPC-HC. When that player exits, my app again "does stuff" and returns control back to Kodi when it exits. You can setup something like this using simple scripting such as autoit. You could have your HDR movies in a separate folder or contain the words "HDR" in the filename. Then flow is something like:

Launch external player from kodi passing filename to play
Your app runs as external player
App parses filename looking for HDR. If HDR it sends usbuirt command line to change to cinema1 where high lamp is set.
App runs player passing in command line it received and waits for it to close
On close of player, if HDR was in filename, app sends usbuirt command line to change to user1 where low lamp is set.
App exits
Kodi thinks player just exited and resumes control.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #905 of 1099 Old 05-06-2019, 06:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkyoman View Post
Were you able to test RGB output? A PC should always be able to output in RGB.

I don't understand what the issue might be. As someone in another thread suggested, try setting madVR to fullscreen exclusive mode under general settings.

Are you sure you checked send hdr metadata to the display under hdr? Short of that, I would try installing another AMD video driver.

I just found in the official forums, a related problem:
https://community.amd.com/thread/233419
Will fix new drivers

But I understand that it should not be mandatory 4: 4: 4 RGB to run the HDR correctly, right?
Yes, checked send hdr metadata to the display. Look my video, HDR active when fullscreen, but the color is still super dark.

fullscreen exclusive mode, not is default?
post #906 of 1099 Old 05-06-2019, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
The queue sizes won't have any impact on rendering times.

Smaller queues = Greater responsiveness, but higher likelihood of dropped frames.
Larger queues = Slower responsiveness, but lower likelihood of dropped frames.
thank you
post #907 of 1099 Old 05-06-2019, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just found in the official forums, a related problem:
https://community.amd.com/thread/233419
Will fix new drivers

But I understand that it should not be mandatory 4: 4: 4 RGB to run the HDR correctly, right?
Yes, checked send hdr metadata to the display. Look my video, HDR active when fullscreen, but the color is still super dark.

fullscreen exclusive mode, not is default?
I don't think fullscreen exclusive mode is enabled by default. Check under general settings.

10-bit RGB isn't possible at 4K 60 Hz because of HDMI 2.0, so that isn't a bug. Try setting the refresh rate to 30 Hz and add 2160p23, 2160p24 to display modes in madVR.
post #908 of 1099 Old 05-06-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
I don't think fullscreen exclusive mode is enabled by default. Check under general settings.

10-bit RGB isn't possible at 4K 60 Hz because of HDMI 2.0, so that isn't a bug. Try setting the refresh rate to 30 Hz and add 2160p23, 2160p24 to display modes in madVR.
True, you are right

Oki, i try more later active fullscreen exclusive mode.
post #909 of 1099 Old 05-06-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:

MANY THANKS.

When i activated fullscreen exclusive mode, WORK!

Perfect.

Now I have encountered another problem.
I notice that the HDR is not exactly the same as when I use the native playback app of the television (OLED c8)
Missing as a bit of brightness and contrast ....

What could it be?
I have tried putting different modes on the HDMI input (PC, Normal, Blueray)
But with no one appreciates a change

any ideas?

thank you
post #910 of 1099 Old 05-06-2019, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

PC mode might look different, but the normal video modes are known to look the same.

An owner of an LG OLED needs to provide some advice on that request. There are many LG owners watching HDR content with madVR. I don't know what might be different.
post #911 of 1099 Old 05-07-2019, 03:30 AM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
If the projector lamp mode can be controlled by IR, then the Harmony remote could learn that command from the original remote or by getting the Hex code from the projector manufacturer.
Yes, but the main thing is the ability to automate it rather than me having to trigger it manually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
So there are a few questions you've asked here:
1) Can madVR detect if HDR is being played and do something externally. Answer is no.
2) Can you tell your harmony to do something from an "available app". I don't know for sure, but I think the answer is also no.

That being said, I have this problem solved and automated here. When I watch an HDR movie, my projector is automatically sent into cinema1 mode and when the movie ends it's returned to "user1" mode. Sending this command via IP control is easy, and I've written an app to handle that on your HTPC via command line. You can also do it via IR if you have a USB UIRT. (http://usbuirt.com/).

The problem is when/how to make this happen. For me, I handle it with Kodi + external player support. My external player registered in Kodi is my app. My app then "does stuff" and launches the real external player. For me that's zoom player, but for my friend using the same setup, it's MPC-HC. When that player exits, my app again "does stuff" and returns control back to Kodi when it exits. You can setup something like this using simple scripting such as autoit. You could have your HDR movies in a separate folder or contain the words "HDR" in the filename. Then flow is something like:

Launch external player from kodi passing filename to play
Your app runs as external player
App parses filename looking for HDR. If HDR it sends usbuirt command line to change to cinema1 where high lamp is set.
App runs player passing in command line it received and waits for it to close
On close of player, if HDR was in filename, app sends usbuirt command line to change to user1 where low lamp is set.
App exits
Kodi thinks player just exited and resumes control.
This is awesome - exactly what I am looking for (except for the part where the projector needs to be connected to my router, which means I will have to figure out a way to wire an ethernet cable on the ceiling without it looking ugly - I have a star light ceiling, so all the more tricky).

Regarding the external player (which is essentially your custom wrapper for an external player), would you be ok sharing the code/steps required to create this?
post #912 of 1099 Old 05-07-2019, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, but the main thing is the ability to automate it rather than me having to trigger it manually.

This is awesome - exactly what I am looking for (except for the part where the projector needs to be connected to my router, which means I will have to figure out a way to wire an ethernet cable on the ceiling without it looking ugly - I have a star light ceiling, so all the more tricky).

Regarding the external player (which is essentially your custom wrapper for an external player), would you be ok sharing the code/steps required to create this?
Like I said, you can send IR commands from your PC instead if you buy a USB Uirt. Then you can send IR commands via pronto codes but it requires the IR device to be facing the projector's front or rear IR port.

Here is some autoit code (I typed it but didnt test it) that would check the incoming filename passed to the fake player app, if it has "HDR" in the filename or folder name somewhere, it will switch the JVC projector input to cinema1 by using jvccontrol passing 68 to it. Then it runs the player, in this case zoom player and passes the filename to it. When zoom player exits, the projector is restored to the input used for normal vieweing, in this case CC is the code for that.

This script uses my JVCControl to control the JVC by IP. As I said, this part could be replaced with a command to uutx.exe to send a pronto code via usbuirt. This, of course, is only as reliable as an IR press can be. IP control is about 100% reliable.

You can download and install autoit. Create the file here and call it player.au3. Then paste in the code, edit it to the path to your player, and right click player.au3 and compile it into player.exe. Then configure kodi to use an external player, player.exe.

You can't do this with DS Player kodi. You have to use a real external player like zoom player or mpc-hc. That's because dsplayer is built into kodi and not able to be run separately with a command line.

My actual player.exe script is quite complex now. It controls my projector and receiver based on the criteria of the incoming file. I adjust speaker levels, receiver virtual inputs, projector inputs, detect aspect ratio of movies and adjust electronic masking systems, etc.

Spoiler!
the_jaguar likes this.

Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #913 of 1099 Old 05-07-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
PC mode might look different, but the normal video modes are known to look the same.

An owner of an LG OLED needs to provide some advice on that request. There are many LG owners watching HDR content with madVR. I don't know what might be different.
Look:

Add images:

Same configuration TV

PLEX TV Oled c8 - HDR:

Oled c8 HTPC - Vega 11 - MAdvr HDR

:-S
post #914 of 1099 Old 05-07-2019, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

In the AMD Radeon control panel under Video, is the profile set to "Default?" Do the Color settings in the AMD control panel change the image at all?
post #915 of 1099 Old 05-07-2019, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked: 423
this should be a colorspace issue.

can you add an image of an madVR with it's own tone mapping?
post #916 of 1099 Old 05-07-2019, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Like I said, you can send IR commands from your PC instead if you buy a USB Uirt. Then you can send IR commands via pronto codes but it requires the IR device to be facing the projector's front or rear IR port.

Here is some autoit code (I typed it but didnt test it) that would check the incoming filename passed to the fake player app, if it has "HDR" in the filename or folder name somewhere, it will switch the JVC projector input to cinema1 by using jvccontrol passing 68 to it. Then it runs the player, in this case zoom player and passes the filename to it. When zoom player exits, the projector is restored to the input used for normal vieweing, in this case CC is the code for that.

This script uses my JVCControl to control the JVC by IP. As I said, this part could be replaced with a command to uutx.exe to send a pronto code via usbuirt. This, of course, is only as reliable as an IR press can be. IP control is about 100% reliable.

You can download and install autoit. Create the file here and call it player.au3. Then paste in the code, edit it to the path to your player, and right click player.au3 and compile it into player.exe. Then configure kodi to use an external player, player.exe.

You can't do this with DS Player kodi. You have to use a real external player like zoom player or mpc-hc. That's because dsplayer is built into kodi and not able to be run separately with a command line.

My actual player.exe script is quite complex now. It controls my projector and receiver based on the criteria of the incoming file. I adjust speaker levels, receiver virtual inputs, projector inputs, detect aspect ratio of movies and adjust electronic masking systems, etc.

Spoiler!
Since I have a logitech elite with a hub, I am connected to the hub via bluetooth. My PC is at the back of my HT along with the equipment rack, so line of sight for IR will be tricky. I will try using the extension IR blaster that came with my logitech kit. Any specific IR receiver that you would recommend for my PC? Based on reading a few guides, it appears that I need to get a eHome RC6 receiver.

Thanks for the script - really helpful. Once I have the IR receiver, I will play around with it. Regarding the rest of the customizations you have mentioned (speaker levels, receiver inputs, etc), I have a very similar setup configured using my logitech remote as various activities - makes life so much easier, especially for the boss of the house :-)
post #917 of 1099 Old 05-08-2019, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn View Post
this should be a colorspace issue.

can you add an image of an madVR with it's own tone mapping?
mmm.. how?
Activate this options?

post #918 of 1099 Old 05-08-2019, 04:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Since I have a logitech elite with a hub, I am connected to the hub via bluetooth. My PC is at the back of my HT along with the equipment rack, so line of sight for IR will be tricky. I will try using the extension IR blaster that came with my logitech kit. Any specific IR receiver that you would recommend for my PC? Based on reading a few guides, it appears that I need to get a eHome RC6 receiver.

Thanks for the script - really helpful. Once I have the IR receiver, I will play around with it. Regarding the rest of the customizations you have mentioned (speaker levels, receiver inputs, etc), I have a very similar setup configured using my logitech remote as various activities - makes life so much easier, especially for the boss of the house :-)
As I said above, usbuirt. I even posted the link where to buy.

post #919 of 1099 Old 05-08-2019, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
mmm.. how?
Activate this options?

You can use those options. Just set the target nits to 300 nits instead of 150 nits.
post #920 of 1099 Old 05-08-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
You can use those options. Just set the target nits to 300 nits instead of 150 nits.
nothing.....

same result....
beside, VEga 11 no cant power for active tone mapping :-(
post #921 of 1099 Old 05-08-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
In the AMD Radeon control panel under Video, is the profile set to "Default?" Do the Color settings in the AMD control panel change the image at all?
Yes default.

No, no change imagen when selected other option.
post #922 of 1099 Old 05-08-2019, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

There must be something in the AMD control panel that is impacting the color.

Under Display, did you try adjusting the "Color" settings in the top right?
post #923 of 1099 Old 05-09-2019, 03:51 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 60
For upscaling poor quality sources, what is the best way to use reduce compression artifacts (RCA)?
I understand what when combined with NGU Sharp it can be activated for free:

If you select RCA "medium" quality, NGU Sharp quality is automatically upgraded to at least "high" quality. If you select RCA "high" quality, NGU Sharp is automatically upgraded to "very high" quality. It should still be faster overall than separate RCA + NGU Sharp Low/Medium processing.

If you have a 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 source and you activate "NGU Sharp" for chroma upscaling, and if you also activate RCA + "process chroma channels, too", then the chroma RCA will run as part of the chroma NGU Sharp upscaling. But if you select any other chroma upscaler, there's no chance for a fused NGU Sharp + RCA, so in that case RCA will still be performed separately for the chroma channels, followed by the chroma upscaler you've selected.

When activating process chroma channels, too in the artifact removal section,what is the setting it sets itself?
Is it related to the luma upscale settings or the chroma upscale setting?
For example, if I select NGU Sharp Medium in Chroma Upscaling will the RCA for chroma channels be High or whatever the (NGU Sharp) luma upscaler setting is?

Also, is SSIM 2D (LL, AR relaxed) the best downscaler in this configuration?
What is the strength 25-100% SSIM? Sharper?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	2564446  

Last edited by noob00224; 05-09-2019 at 04:01 AM.
post #924 of 1099 Old 05-09-2019, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The RCA strength is automatically applied based on the setting for NGU Sharp: Sharp medium includes RCA medium; high to high; very high to very high. Those settings are the same whether or not you activate the chroma channels.

For image downscaling, I prefer SSIM 2D 100% + LL + AR + AB 100%. If you think it's too sharp, lower the percentage of SSIM.
noob00224 likes this.
post #925 of 1099 Old 05-09-2019, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
The RCA strength is automatically applied based on the setting for NGU Sharp: Sharp medium includes RCA medium; high to high; very high to very high. Those settings are the same whether or not you activate the chroma channels.
So does the setting in chroma upscaling have any impact on the chroma channels RCA if the setting in image upscaling is set to NGU Sharp?
post #926 of 1099 Old 05-09-2019, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is it possible to create a different profile in screen configuration depending on the AR of the movie? Can MadVR recognize the AR of the movie automatically or alternatively from the file name? Ex. Movietitles.235.mkv
post #927 of 1099 Old 05-09-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
There must be something in the AMD control panel that is impacting the color.

Under Display, did you try adjusting the "Color" settings in the top right?

Hello again, I just tried to change the "Color" option in the TV settings. It is close to the original, but it is NOT the same .... it is still very different: -S

I have run out of ideas
post #928 of 1099 Old 05-10-2019, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Try one last thing:

In madVR, under devices -> calibration select this display is already calibrated.

Set the color gamut to BT.2020 and the gamma curve to 2.20.

This isn't supposed to impact HDR content at all, only SDR, but maybe there a bug with the AMD video driver when combined with madVR.

Do other Windows media players have the same or similar color to madVR?

The problem is either at the GPU or display.
post #929 of 1099 Old 05-10-2019, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Sorry to ask a dumb question, but I am using Javs Madvr settings and he is referencing MadVR nightly builds. The latest official I got from the Madvr site is apparently not it, because I do not have the HDR Tone Mapping Pixel shaders tab you and Javs describes. Where are the latest Beta nightlies?
post #930 of 1099 Old 05-10-2019, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark the Red View Post
Where are the latest Beta nightlies?
I think this is the latest version: http://madshi.net/madVRhdrMeasure78.zip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement