madVR Player Support Thread - Page 32 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 146Likes

post #931 of 1033 Old 05-10-2019, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Thank you. Kodi is giving me issues. Working perfect one day, and then next day its glitchy with any HDR content randoming flashing black screen with no settings changed.

Just curious what is the more stable Madvr player? DSplayer or Kodi? Love the UI of Kodi but its a rube goldberg machine in terms of settings going haywire on its own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 1033 Old 05-11-2019, 01:35 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkyoman View Post
Try one last thing:

In madVR, under devices -> calibration select this display is already calibrated.

Set the color gamut to BT.2020 and the gamma curve to 2.20.

This isn't supposed to impact HDR content at all, only SDR, but maybe there a bug with the AMD video driver when combined with madVR.

Do other Windows media players have the same or similar color to madVR?

The problem is either at the GPU or display.

A strange thing has happened to me!
But it has almost worked.

I have done the last thing you said, I apply changes and I put full screen. NOW IF, it works, the colors as in the reproduction of the TV (plex).

When I have minimized and returned to fullscreen, again without the exact color ¬¬

I have closed and opened several times and nothing.
I re-apply in the "Calibration" section the previous configuration, I reproduce, and I put back the options that you have told me.
It works again.

Miniminizo (and I return to fullscreen) and it does not work again (HDR but with bad colors).

I tried this pattern again, and it has not always worked for me.

WHAT A STRANGE THING.

Almost this, buuuut, I do not know what is giving conflict.

Any idea???

Thanks thanks thanks
post #933 of 1033 Old 05-11-2019, 02:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
See "Ask us a question" at the bottom of the page.
Wrote them too, pretty disappointed about dropping 3D/MVC support.
Manni01 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #934 of 1033 Old 05-11-2019, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark the Red View Post
Thank you. Kodi is giving me issues. Working perfect one day, and then next day its glitchy with any HDR content randoming flashing black screen with no settings changed.

Just curious what is the more stable Madvr player? DSplayer or Kodi? Love the UI of Kodi but its a rube goldberg machine in terms of settings going haywire on its own.
Kodi is usually more stable than any player using madVR. If you want to use madVR, MPC-HC or MPC-BE would be considered the best options for stable playback.

That type of instability is usually the fault of the video drivers and not the media player.
post #935 of 1033 Old 05-11-2019, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daicon Frost View Post
A strange thing has happened to me!
But it has almost worked.

I have done the last thing you said, I apply changes and I put full screen. NOW IF, it works, the colors as in the reproduction of the TV (plex).

When I have minimized and returned to fullscreen, again without the exact color ¬¬

I have closed and opened several times and nothing.
I re-apply in the "Calibration" section the previous configuration, I reproduce, and I put back the options that you have told me.
It works again.

Miniminizo (and I return to fullscreen) and it does not work again (HDR but with bad colors).

I tried this pattern again, and it has not always worked for me.

WHAT A STRANGE THING.

Almost this, buuuut, I do not know what is giving conflict.

Any idea???

Thanks thanks thanks
If you are using "passthrough HDR to display," the calibration options aren't supposed to do anything. This is actually a known AMD video driver bug.

The only thing you can do is try another AMD video driver, either an older driver or newer driver. Or install a GT 1030, which would be more reliable for HDR playback.
post #936 of 1033 Old 05-11-2019, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4413 Post(s)
Liked: 2764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark the Red View Post

My guess is your problem isn't the fault of the media player but your video drivers or HDMI cable or such.

But to answer your question, Kodi does not support madVR. You have to use Kodi DSplayer for madVR support. If you want to try something else, you can use zoom player or mpc-hc / mpc-be as an external player for kodi. I use zoom player here.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #937 of 1033 Old 05-11-2019, 08:49 AM

When I refer to Kodi, I mean the DS Player fork version not vanilla Kodi.

I think the source of my problems is windows, as my HTPC has a second monitor connected. When I turn off the system, I think it tries to be too smart and reconfigure the whole thing to work with my second monitor even though it is off INCLUDING madvr.

I wish there was a way to check a box so so that Madvr with ONLY and FOREVER use the DenonHDMI profile and never switch to the HP monitor profile even when it is powered off. I've gooogled everything, and tried my best to digest the 2000+ page doom Madvr thread and I think I am the only one with this problem.

I guess I am resigned to once every 3 weeks reinstalling Kodi dsplayer and Madvr from scratch to prevent the rot from setting in.

I miss the days when computers weren't trying to be cute and think for themselves.
mavang likes this.
post #938 of 1033 Old 05-12-2019, 03:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked: 2040
madVR Tone Mapping

What aspect does the DYNAMIC RANGE RECOVERY STRENGTH effect ?

Thanks..
post #939 of 1033 Old 05-12-2019, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

It determines how aggressive dynamic clipping is. Dynamic clipping is known to clip aggressively in the test builds, so you should experiment with not using it at all or using a low recovery strength.
post #940 of 1033 Old 05-12-2019, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
madVR Tone Mapping

What aspect does the DYNAMIC RANGE RECOVERY STRENGTH effect ?

Thanks..
Quote:
It determines how aggressive dynamic clipping is. Dynamic clipping is known to clip aggressively in the test builds, so you should experiment with not using it at all or using a low recovery strength.
So if "apply dynamic clipping" is unchecked then the recovery strength value does nothing?

Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #941 of 1033 Old 05-12-2019, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked: 2040
Quote:
Yes i noticed that the last scene from the film Sicario where the kid and his mom are walking to play soccer, with it on 100 "default" the clouds have very brownout white hot spots. I ended up setting it on a value of 20 which avoids the clipping.
post #942 of 1033 Old 05-13-2019, 11:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 47
On B&W material, why does chroma still get upscaled? Is it because it's converted to RGB?
post #943 of 1033 Old 05-14-2019, 02:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 414
black and white material usually has a tint in the chroma channel and how should madVR know if something is black and white so it just doing it.
noob00224 likes this.
post #944 of 1033 Old 05-14-2019, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Grrr all of the sudden I got stuttering with my RTX 2060 card..... everything was working great and without changing anything the stuttering started without dropped or repeated frames .......tried everything that normally solved the problem. No nothing helps.....
post #945 of 1033 Old 05-14-2019, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I currently use madVR with my projector. I might want to use it for my TV as well from the same HTPC. Is there a guide anywhere for setting up multiple displays? Is there something in the EDID or what not that will tell madVR which display is active? I have a chain from the HTPC into a Denon receiver then out of the Denon (Zone 2) into a Onkyo receiver that is connected to the TV. I suspect I will want to use different settings for the TV vs projector. I also have some custom timings in play for the projector that will not work with the TV. Is this a can of worms or is this somewhat easy to set up? Thanks for any pointers.

Thanks
post #946 of 1033 Old 05-14-2019, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarteli View Post
Grrr all of the sudden I got stuttering with my RTX 2060 card......
Which driver version are you using?

On my RTX 2060 the latest version stutter free is 418.91.
post #947 of 1033 Old 05-15-2019, 01:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello.

Can someone send me “best settings” for my config?

Gigabyte Aorus 580 8GB
Ryzen 3 1200
16GB Corsair RAM
Adata SSD drive
Philips 4K 55” HDR10 TV

I want to use 2160p @ 23.976p always.

Thanks!
post #948 of 1033 Old 05-15-2019, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingersdlp View Post
I currently use madVR with my projector. I might want to use it for my TV as well from the same HTPC. Is there a guide anywhere for setting up multiple displays? Is there something in the EDID or what not that will tell madVR which display is active? I have a chain from the HTPC into a Denon receiver then out of the Denon (Zone 2) into a Onkyo receiver that is connected to the TV. I suspect I will want to use different settings for the TV vs projector. I also have some custom timings in play for the projector that will not work with the TV. Is this a can of worms or is this somewhat easy to set up? Thanks for any pointers.

Thanks
If you manage to get the same signal to the TV, it will show up as as separate device in the control panel. So all settings under devices will only apply the active device, which includes custom modes.

The rest of the settings are shared. There is a string value available named "display" that could be used to create profile rules for the remaining settings.

if display = Example TV "TV Profile"
else "Projector Profile"

Or you could incorporate (display = ?) into your existing profile groups.
fingersdlp likes this.
post #949 of 1033 Old 05-15-2019, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkydns View Post
Hello.

Can someone send me “best settings” for my config?

Gigabyte Aorus 580 8GB
Ryzen 3 1200
16GB Corsair RAM
Adata SSD drive
Philips 4K 55” HDR10 TV

I want to use 2160p @ 23.976p always.

Thanks!
Set chroma upscaling to NGU Anti-Alias, NGU Sharp, NGU Standard or Reconstruction and set dithering to Error Diffusion 1 or 2.

For upscaled sources, use NGU Sharp under image upscaling -> doubling.

I'd select passthrough HDR to display if that is an OLED TV.
neo_2009 likes this.
post #950 of 1033 Old 05-15-2019, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 337
MadVR change lens memory AND picture mode

Folks,

I am using MadVR as my primary media device. I have two questions:

1. Autoswitch color profiles

Key use case for me is for MadVR to do HDR to SDR tonemapping.

I have two Profiles on my JVC NX7 - one for HDR and another for SDR. HDR uses High Lamp, and SDR uses Low Lamp.

I know MadVR can switch lens memory, but is there a way I can switch Picture modes as well? (Through MadVR or some other means?)

What I would like to do is that when MadVR recognizes that the movie is HDR, it should switch the color profile. I tried the "output in HDR" checkbox under the HDR tab in MadVR - so my JVC could select the right profile, but it totally messes up the colors.

2. Change lens memory AND resolution depending on whether content is 16:9 or Scope

I want to use the full panel (4096x2160) for Scope movies and the smaller panel (3840x2160) for IMAX / 16:9 movies.

I have setup two profiles on my JVC, but I am not able to figure out how to change the display resolution and the lens memory based on the content.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Gear: Fronts: B&W 803D3 | Center: B&W HTM2D3 | Surrounds: B&W 705S2 | Backs: B&W DM601S3 | Heights: Definitive Techonlogy ProCinema 1000 | Receiver & Amps: Anthem MRX 720 + Emotiva BasX-5 | Projector: JVC NX7 | Source: HTPC with Nvidia 2070, Kodi + External Player: MPC-HC with MadVR (for Blu-ray rips), Nvidia Shield (for streaming content)
post #951 of 1033 Old 05-16-2019, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

You can auto-switch the lamp mode of the projector in a couple of ways:

- HDfury Vertex
- HTPC Control mentioned towards the middle of this post

Both require a network connection to the projector.

You can't dynamically switch the resolution of the GPU when using Constant Image Height projection. You can either have the projector zoom the image to fit the screen or use zoom control in madVR. Movies in 16:9 aspect ratio will always have space on the sides.

If you use zoom control in madVR, you must also use DXVA2 (copy-back) decoding in LAV Video.

If you want to switch the lens memory in madVR with profiles, you could use something like this:

If (HDR) "Profile 1"
else "Profile 2"
post #952 of 1033 Old 05-16-2019, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommarra View Post
Folks,

I have two Profiles on my JVC NX7 - one for HDR and another for SDR. HDR uses High Lamp, and SDR uses Low Lamp.

I know MadVR can switch lens memory, but is there a way I can switch Picture modes as well? (Through MadVR or some other means?)

What I would like to do is that when MadVR recognizes that the movie is HDR, it should switch the color profile. I tried the "output in HDR" checkbox under the HDR tab in MadVR - so my JVC could select the right profile, but it totally messes up the colors.

2. Change lens memory AND resolution depending on whether content is 16:9 or Scope

I want to use the full panel (4096x2160) for Scope movies and the smaller panel (3840x2160) for IMAX / 16:9 movies.

I have setup two profiles on my JVC, but I am not able to figure out how to change the display resolution and the lens memory based on the content.

What is your player setup? I can possibly help you get something setup on this. I do all this on my setup automatically. I can do it via blasting IR codes (my first implementation), but better is to just send IP commands which requires a network cable plugged into the projector.

The easiest way to set this up is to break your movies into two folders and/or add 16x9 or scope to each filename. Then to use something like kodi + mpc-hc external player. Then have a network connection to your projector. If you do all these things, I can help you.

post #953 of 1033 Old 05-16-2019, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommarra View Post
Folks,

What is your player setup? I can possibly help you get something setup on this. I do all this on my setup automatically. I can do it via blasting IR codes (my first implementation), but better is to just send IP commands which requires a network cable plugged into the projector.

The easiest way to set this up is to break your movies into two folders and/or add 16x9 or scope to each filename. Then to use something like kodi + mpc-hc external player. Then have a network connection to your projector. If you do all these things, I can help you.
I'm interested in this as well, though I only need the first part. Like others, I'm running a RS2000 connected by a network cable with a static IP, using kodi dsplayer on a htpc running madvr as my main source. The only potential wrinkle is that on top of kodi I always auto-run the plex for kodi plugin.

Server is organized by resolution, which happens to also overlap with HDR vs SDR, in my setup. So, the folder structure looks like this, as a requirement of the Plex server:

4k/A Star is Born (2018)/A Star is Born (2018).mkv

4k/Avengers: Endgame (2018)/Avengers:Endgame (2018).mkv

1080p/Avatar (2009)/Avatar (2009).mkv

Last edited by ddgdl; 05-16-2019 at 06:47 AM.
post #954 of 1033 Old 05-16-2019, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgdl View Post
I'm interested in this as well, though I only need the first part. Like others, I'm running a RS2000 connected by a network cable with a static IP, using kodi dsplayer on a htpc running madvr as my main source. The only potential wrinkle is that on top of kodi I always auto-run the plex for kodi plugin
I also run plex for kodi plugin. But that does add complications because my method requires you use kodi external player support. You cannot use dsplayer any longer. The reason is that we intercept the external player with our app. This app will do whatever is needed based on the movie being requested, then it will launch the actual player. DSplayer cannot be called externally, so it's out. That leaves MPC-HC or zoom player.

For plex for kodi, this also has some side effects. You won't be able to use its resume support. Internally, it won't mark items as watched anymore (its a bug using external player). I fixed the bug with my own version of plex for kodi which auto marks as watched after 5 mins.

Is your plex media server running locally? Is it on a windows machine? The other issue is plex serves up links for the files even when direct played that look like https://plex.tv/192-168-1-1-server/s...stuff/file.mkv. While these can be played by our external players, it doesn't help with getting the filename to do useful things but it is something that can perhaps also be worked around. On my end, I have my custom kodi translate these to real file paths that are accessible via my network share (such as g:\tv\elementary\elementary s01e03.mvk). If you're plex server is running on something not windows then that path is going to be something like /tvshows/elementary/elementary s01e03.mkv which will not be mapable via windows file mappings. However, if we are just looking at the filename for a string like 16x9 or HDR then it wouldn't matter and would be good enough.

Another option for plex is to implement something using its new plex media server webhooks. In this case, the plex media server can hit any web URL of your choice when a video starts playing, stops playing etc. This would require coding up some sort of web server app on the HTPC that waited for these connections then based on what was the event and file, it made the needed changes to the projector. Honestly, this isn't too hard to do either. You could install something like apache for windows with php and use php to shell out commands when it receives them. This assumes webhooks can work off local links otherwise you'd have to expose this to the public by opening router ports, which would be a bummer.

post #955 of 1033 Old 05-16-2019, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Forgot to note that my plex server is running on a nvidia shield
post #956 of 1033 Old 05-16-2019, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12

See attached picture.
The "date of manufacture", do you think that refers to the panel or motherboard?
I got a replacement panel for my LG C7 OLED because of a permanent burn-in, but I'm not pleased with it. Tint- and banding issues from hell...
The serial nr on the tv says that it was produced Oct. 2017.
If the "date of manufacture" in MadVR refers to the panel, I will use it to complain. The first panels were very bad...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Merknad 2019-05-16 235956.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	2567702  
post #957 of 1033 Old 05-16-2019, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I also run plex for kodi plugin. But that does add complications because my method requires you use kodi external player support. You cannot use dsplayer any longer. The reason is that we intercept the external player with our app. This app will do whatever is needed based on the movie being requested, then it will launch the actual player. DSplayer cannot be called externally, so it's out. That leaves MPC-HC or zoom player.

For plex for kodi, this also has some side effects. You won't be able to use its resume support. Internally, it won't mark items as watched anymore (its a bug using external player). I fixed the bug with my own version of plex for kodi which auto marks as watched after 5 mins.

Is your plex media server running locally? Is it on a windows machine? The other issue is plex serves up links for the files even when direct played that look like https://plex.tv/192-168-1-1-server/s...stuff/file.mkv. While these can be played by our external players, it doesn't help with getting the filename to do useful things but it is something that can perhaps also be worked around. On my end, I have my custom kodi translate these to real file paths that are accessible via my network share (such as g:\tv\elementary\elementary s01e03.mvk). If you're plex server is running on something not windows then that path is going to be something like /tvshows/elementary/elementary s01e03.mkv which will not be mapable via windows file mappings. However, if we are just looking at the filename for a string like 16x9 or HDR then it wouldn't matter and would be good enough.

Another option for plex is to implement something using its new plex media server webhooks. In this case, the plex media server can hit any web URL of your choice when a video starts playing, stops playing etc. This would require coding up some sort of web server app on the HTPC that waited for these connections then based on what was the event and file, it made the needed changes to the projector. Honestly, this isn't too hard to do either. You could install something like apache for windows with php and use php to shell out commands when it receives them. This assumes webhooks can work off local links otherwise you'd have to expose this to the public by opening router ports, which would be a bummer.
For now I've written 4 batch files for my desktop and startup folder using your JvcControl program (thanks, by the way!):

One batch file sends the startup command to the projector whenever the HTPC is turned on (that .bat is in the startup folder)
One batch file changes the color profile and lens mode to what I use for SDR, and I run that before opening kodi if I know that I am going to be watching something that is SDR
One batch file changes the color profile and lens mode to what I use for HDR (high lamp, etc), and I run that if I know I am going to be watching something HDR
The final batch file sends the standby command to the projector twice, and then shuts the PC down

Not as automated as I would like it, and certainly not friendly for other users in the house, but for now I can live with it
post #958 of 1033 Old 05-17-2019, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ12 View Post

See attached picture.
The "date of manufacture", do you think that refers to the panel or motherboard?
I got a replacement panel for my LG C7 OLED because of a permanent burn-in, but I'm not pleased with it. Tint- and banding issues from hell...
The serial nr on the tv says that it was produced Oct. 2017.
If the "date of manufacture" in MadVR refers to the panel, I will use it to complain. The first panels were very bad...
I would think the date of manufacture refers to the processor chip in the display and not the panel. This EDID could be generic for all 2017 LG OLEDs.
post #959 of 1033 Old 05-17-2019, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I would think the date of manufacture refers to the processor chip in the display and not the panel. This EDID could be generic for all 2017 LG OLEDs.
Thanks for answering. Would be nice to find out for sure, but I also would guess it's the processor/mainboard and not the panel.

Any other LG OLED owners here, who can check out the same info?
post #960 of 1033 Old 05-17-2019, 05:22 PM

I am getting random Atmos issues where the voices / center channel sound just stops working after 10 minutes. AVR is still showing Atmos.

I am trying to rule out certain things, but are you pros using the latest nVidia HDMI drivers? Is there a stable one. I suspect it has something to do with it. DSplayer is using Wasapi HDMI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page