madVR Player Support Thread - Page 73 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 281Likes

post #2161 of 2182 Old 03-21-2020, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6263 Post(s)
Liked: 4362
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdenResident View Post
Hello,

So I tried the 113 beta and I still get a lot of stuttering and the audio is completely out of sync. I'm not sure what I did wrong. I've attached here the screenshots of my madVR settings and the madVR stats. Could anyone please see if I did anything wrong or if I missed any other settings?

My GPU is the GTX 1070 8GB mini, BTW.
Your queues are not filling up but your render time is fine. Is the media locally on a HDD in the pc? Is it on USB? Is it over a 100mbit network? Looks like perhaps the movie file cannot be read from disk fast enough.

Also, your display and the video are playing back at a refresh rate mismatch.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" ST130 G4 screen in batcave, htpc nvidia 1080ti madVR.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, Infinite Baffle Subs 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 2x12 fi audio mounted in main chair firing into back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 2182 Old 03-21-2020, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi noob00224, my answers are below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Refresh rate should be set to match the source. In that example, set the refresh rate to 23Hz from NVCP.
Ok I'll try this. Where do I set the refresh rate though?
Quote:
Does it happen with SDR?
No it doesn't. 4K SDRs play very smoothly. No problem at all.
Quote:
Was it working with previous versions of madvr? If yes what version?
No, I've never gotten it to work with madVR. I tried the official version 0.92.17 before and it also stuttered a lot.

Quote:
What's the projector?
Have you tried connecting the projector directly to the GPU?
How long is the cable?
The Projector is BenQ HT3550 (4K). Yes, I'm hooking it up directly to HDMI port on the GPU. Cable is 3m long. It works perfectly with 4K SDR so I think the problem is with the rendering.

Quote:
What is the HDD?
Check the HDD and CPU usage.
What CPU?
I'm storing the movie on a NAS. I'll try to play it from an internal HDD to make sure the problem is not with the NAS. My home network is Gigabit though and Windows reports Gigabit bandwidth. I've measured transfer rate before and it was more than adequate for 4K content. I'll measure the CPU, too.

Quote:
What is selected in LAV Video hardware decoder?

What player is used with madvr?
I'm using Kodi DSPlayer with LAV filter. I'll get more information for you.

Thanks.
post #2163 of 2182 Old 03-21-2020, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Your queues are not filling up but your render time is fine. Is the media locally on a HDD in the pc? Is it on USB? Is it over a 100mbit network? Looks like perhaps the movie file cannot be read from disk fast enough.

Also, your display and the video are playing back at a refresh rate mismatch.
Hi markmon1,

The media is on a NAS. The network is Gigabit and the transfer rate is more than adequate for 4K content. I'll try it on my internal HDD to make sure the problem is not with the NAS. My 4K SDR content plays fine over the network though.

How can I set the refresh rate to match? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2164 of 2182 Old 03-21-2020, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1404 Post(s)
Liked: 517
display modes in madVR is one way.

the first think you should check is hardware decoding.
set lav decode to d3d9 copyback for best compatibility.

else is this maybe an VP9 10 bit file?
post #2165 of 2182 Old 03-21-2020, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdenResident View Post
Hi noob00224, my answers are below.

Ok I'll try this. Where do I set the refresh rate though?

No it doesn't. 4K SDRs play very smoothly. No problem at all.

No, I've never gotten it to work with madVR. I tried the official version 0.92.17 before and it also stuttered a lot.

The Projector is BenQ HT3550 (4K). Yes, I'm hooking it up directly to HDMI port on the GPU. Cable is 3m long. It works perfectly with 4K SDR so I think the problem is with the rendering.

I'm storing the movie on a NAS. I'll try to play it from an internal HDD to make sure the problem is not with the NAS. My home network is Gigabit though and Windows reports Gigabit bandwidth. I've measured transfer rate before and it was more than adequate for 4K content. I'll measure the CPU, too.

I'm using Kodi DSPlayer with LAV filter. I'll get more information for you.

Thanks.
Take a screenshot of LAV Video.

What is the source video? Maybe try a 4K HDR sample:
https://samples.ffmpeg.org/4khdr/

Change the resolution manually via Nvidia Control Panel>Display>Change resolutions. 23Hz is actually 23.976fps.
In the same panel, check >3D Settings>Manage 3D Settings>Power Management Mode> not Optimal Power. Try Prefer Maximum Performance.

What type of cable is it?
post #2166 of 2182 Old 03-23-2020, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 693
I noticed Nvidia now has DLSS 2.0. Does this have any current or future capabilities for MadVR? It seems like it could have some benefit for 1080p to 4K upscaling by off loading some of the duties to the Tensor cores.

Clark
post #2167 of 2182 Old 03-23-2020, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

dlss is an implementation that sues tensor cores.
it's trained for computer games and it's quality was know to be abyssal.

if it i version 2 or 3 doesn't change that it needs training for each game and that it is trained for games and if madVR will ever use tensor cores is unrelated to this.
post #2168 of 2182 Old 03-23-2020, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn View Post
dlss is an implementation that sues tensor cores.
it's trained for computer games and it's quality was know to be abyssal.

if it i version 2 or 3 doesn't change that it needs training for each game and that it is trained for games and if madVR will ever use tensor cores is unrelated to this.

The main point of version 2 is that it doesn’t need to be trained for each game. It’s generalized.
post #2169 of 2182 Old 03-23-2020, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

so nvidia gave up...

even with specific training it usually lost to bilinear scaling with sharpening.
post #2170 of 2182 Old 03-23-2020, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 211
So the question remains: Does DLSS 2.0 have any current or future capability advancements for MadVR? madshi might be the only one to answer this. My gut feel is it would be subtle. But RTX 3080 release could be a whole different story.

Last edited by catav; 03-24-2020 at 03:11 PM.
post #2171 of 2182 Old 03-23-2020, 10:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

it's created for computer games in mind.

madVR has it's own created scaling algorithm for movies which are AI trained too which currently make not use of tensor cores but may do in the feature which is totally unrelated to DLSS.
always be sceptical when they release such a thing never forget the "The more you buy, the more you save".

wait until it is proven before you believe such stuff. there track record is not very good.
catav likes this.
post #2172 of 2182 Old 03-27-2020, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
so nvidia gave up...

even with specific training it usually lost to bilinear scaling with sharpening.
DLSS 2.0 is hardly them giving up.

DLSS 1.0 was a failure since hardly anything used it because needing special developer work and provided special training per game.

That and it also didn't look very good.

DLSS 2.0 looks significantly better. I've been trying it and when on I am getting twice the performance as with off and I usually can't even tell a difference in quality. It really looks great now and way better than 1.0 ever did. This is definitely what DLSS should have looked like from the start.
post #2173 of 2182 Old 03-28-2020, 01:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

just using a generic implementation instead of an game trained one is clearly giving up. you can clearly get a better result by training for games.
this is now just an easy way to keep this "feature" alive and nearly for sure the correct decision.

DLSS 1.0 is now used as an example on how good DLSS 2.0 looks think about this DLSS 1.0 looks so horrific that everything looks good...
and back them the same claims where made for 50% performance for the same look.

first of all you are the first to claim twice the performance not even nvidia claims this.

wait a couple of months for a not nvidia sponsored title that didn't had DLSS 1.0 in the first place and for some proper test.
if you upscale computer game graphic you kinda get AA for free so at native res the AA implementation is very important for comparison.
beware no upscaler can ever create details it's utterly impossible so if you see the same image you are each not noticing the missing detail or you are simply unable to see the giving resolution which isn't hard at UHD.

and again why this should play any rule for madVR is still beyond me.
post #2174 of 2182 Old 03-28-2020, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
just using a generic implementation instead of an game trained one is clearly giving up. you can clearly get a better result by training for games.
this is now just an easy way to keep this "feature" alive and nearly for sure the correct decision.

DLSS 1.0 is now used as an example on how good DLSS 2.0 looks think about this DLSS 1.0 looks so horrific that everything looks good...
and back them the same claims where made for 50% performance for the same look.

first of all you are the first to claim twice the performance not even nvidia claims this.

wait a couple of months for a not nvidia sponsored title that didn't had DLSS 1.0 in the first place and for some proper test.
if you upscale computer game graphic you kinda get AA for free so at native res the AA implementation is very important for comparison.
beware no upscaler can ever create details it's utterly impossible so if you see the same image you are each not noticing the missing detail or you are simply unable to see the giving resolution which isn't hard at UHD.

and again why this should play any rule for madVR is still beyond me.

Maybe you should actually try it before ripping on it...

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comm..._control1080p/

And before you say the DLSS 2.0 is too sharp, DLSS 2.0 is adding a user configurable sharpness control soon.

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/n...2#post-2115101

I dunno, bunch of other people seem to be coming up with a similar conclusion as me after using it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comm...ry_almost_100/

I think it could work well for movie up-scaling with significantly less processing power than NGU.
post #2175 of 2182 Old 03-28-2020, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

thanks for the image comparison it's far worse than i thought. don't look at it zoomed in it's horrendous the aliasing has repeated patterns.
the native image is very unsharp my guess is a bad implemented AA is used there it's very clear in terms of AA.

don't get me wrong it's still useful to improve performance in games but image quality...
i mean i didn't take these screens and i can only hope that this is an exception or it's fake i mean it it's really that bad:
https://i.imgsli.com/images/f5ee702b...ee0cda82cb.png
https://i.imgsli.com/images/3f4bc0c7...31d0013c45.png
i'm not disagreeing that the DLSS image is massively sharper but that's not my point.

and i don't say that for fun training an scaling for games or for videos is massively different there is a reason jinc does bad with pixel art it's not made for it there is a reason for NGU AA because there are sources with aliasing.
this scaling is created for speed so the deafult rendering image should be 720p with no AA and that makes totally sense but which movie has the same level of aliasing as a 720p rasterization (could be ray traced on to but what ever).
post #2176 of 2182 Old 04-01-2020, 01:31 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Has anybody been able to measure 60 hz timings with mad vr? I only have one 60 hz film (geminiman) but the default timings from nvidia repeat a frame every 40 seconds.

When I try to use edid and the other timings it gets it fine, but then madvr gives me an error saying my drivers rejected the custom resolution.

This is on nvidia by the way, GeForce 2070 super.
post #2177 of 2182 Old 04-01-2020, 03:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygeezy View Post
Has anybody been able to measure 60 hz timings with mad vr? I only have one 60 hz film (geminiman) but the default timings from nvidia repeat a frame every 40 seconds.

When I try to use edid and the other timings it gets it fine, but then madvr gives me an error saying my drivers rejected the custom resolution.

This is on nvidia by the way, GeForce 2070 super.
GM is not 60, it's 59.940.
Select 59Hz from NVCP.
post #2178 of 2182 Old 04-01-2020, 11:06 AM

madVR Player Support Thread

Quote:
GM is not 60, it's 59.940.
Select 59Hz from NVCP.

I’ve tried measuring times in both 60 and 59 hz and I still get that error. I also tried removing framerate switch from madvr and tried both 59 and 60 hz. Both are repeating frames.
post #2179 of 2182 Old 04-01-2020, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygeezy View Post
I’ve tried measuring times in both 60 and 59 hz and I still get that error. I also tried removing framerate switch from madvr and tried both 59 and 60 hz. Both are repeating frames.
Try it without the measuring. Just set 59Hz in the nvidia control pannel.
post #2180 of 2182 Old 04-01-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Try it without the measuring. Just set 59Hz in the nvidia control pannel.
I did that, and im getting a repeat every 40 or so seconds.

post #2181 of 2182 Old 04-02-2020, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Does anyone knows if its possible to change the position for secondary subtitles?
I'm able to change positioning for main subtitles, but it doesn't work for secondary subtitles?

I have a 2.35:1 screen, and use masking on 16:9 movies, so secondary subtitles are shown at the masking level, thus i can't see them
post #2182 of 2182 Old Yesterday, 03:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum. I have a question that might have already been posted so I am sorry in advance.
I have Windows 10 on my PC, with one monitor connected throught DVI port and one Samsung Smart TV 4K (that I just bought) and is connected throught HDMI at 60hz.
I have installed MadVR and it works well when I play a 4K video file with MPC HC on my monitor but and I drag this same video on my Smart TV screen, the colors quality changes and are degrading.
I have tried to create a specific profile for my Smart TV and tweaked every options I could but nothing changes.

There is obviously something I have missed. Please, could someone tell me how can I make MadVR works with a 4K video on my Samsung Smart TV that is connected throught HDMI?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page