UHD Blu-ray Disc in BDXL Drive Test Request - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 140Likes

post #241 of 696 Old 02-26-2016, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
The last time I checked WMC itself doesn't have the codecs to deal with Blu-ray or the license, Microsoft didn't want to pay for it.
You can certainly open Power DVD from with in WMC, but WMC can't read the Blu-rays by it self with out Power DVD.
I'll try now, I have WMC running on a W10 HP HDX Laptop with its own Blu-reader.
I never said I was trying to play any disc's in Windows Media Center.
I personally rip all my Blurays to a NAS and use Kodi. Or use PowerDVD.
We were discussing reading a UHD disc in windows. I mentioned which OS's that could read a UHD disc.
Please just leave this tread...

Last edited by doctorwizz; 02-26-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 696 Old 02-26-2016, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1075 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post
Alrighty folks. I got sick of waiting for my Amazon shipment, so I walked into Best Buy and bought "The Martian" 4K UltraHD Blu-ray. Tested on:

Windows 7 Pro
ASUS BC12B1ST (did not recognize)

LG WH14NS40 (recognized)

LG WH16NS40 (recognized) (svc code NS50)

Obviously, I can't do anything beyond this yet.
AACS versain 57 again (just like from the SlySoft log) and that weird firmware date of 2115 ?

Are you going to create a log file or what ever they do over at Make MKV and see what they do with it ?
I'm betting that after the closure of SlySoft, no ones going to deal with this hot potato.

EDIT:
Never mind, found it over at Make MKV.

Last edited by JeffR1; 02-26-2016 at 06:19 PM.
post #243 of 696 Old 02-26-2016, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwizz View Post
I never said I was trying to play any disc's in Windows Media Center.
I personally rip all my Blurays and use Kodi. Or use PowerDVD.
We were discussing reading a UHD disc in windows. I mentioned which OS's that could read a UHD disc.
Please just leave this tread...
Your words copied from post 233:
"I fully updated win 8.1 pro WMC and still won't read."

And I'm not going anywhere.
If you want to carry on with this, I'll let you get the last word in.
But really from your comment, it does sound like you were trying to get WMC to read the Blu-ray.
kitti likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 696 Old 02-26-2016, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Your words copied from post 233:
"I fully updated win 8.1 pro WMC and still won't read."

And I'm not going anywhere.
If you want to carry on with this, I'll let you get the last word in.
But really from your comment, it does sound like you were trying to get WMC to read the Blu-ray.
8.1 Pro WMC is the OS. Just trying to get windows explorer to READ the disc. Not PLAY.
The key word is READ. Something you obviously fail at.
Only thing I use ever WMC for is live TV on a secondary monitor from a HDHomerun extend.

Last edited by doctorwizz; 02-27-2016 at 03:02 PM.
post #245 of 696 Old 02-27-2016, 12:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
8.1 Pro WMC is the OS...
"8.1 Pro WMC" is not an OS. That'd be like me saying that my Windows 7 Ultimate Adobe Reader can read UHD BD. It seems like I am trying to say that Adobe Reader can read UHD BDs. But in reality, it is just my Windows Explorer that can see the UHD BD. I just happened to add irrelevant information onto the "name" of my OS, and then failed to recognize my own mistake when a more competent AVSer was confused by my poor wording.
post #246 of 696 Old 02-27-2016, 12:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post

By the way, when/if AACS 2.0 is cracked, the studios will likely enable online activation which is part of AACS 2.0, and that's going to be much harder to get around. So unlicensed playback of UHD Bluray is likely going to take a while.
That's really terrible since the unlicensed programs are much better. Worst of all would be if they still have the absurd and useless protected audio path which would mane PowerDVD would be forced to crippled audio output to many devices. Completely absurd since NOBODY bus snoops to copy movie audio tracks to get >16/48! Nobody! So why lock so many legit people out of it! If anything it ends up promoting piracy because people become desperate to try to get around the absurd and pointless restriction.
post #247 of 696 Old 02-27-2016, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Neither of my LG drives (WH16NS40 (1.02) & WH14NS40 (1.03)) can read any of my UHD discs. The lights just flash, but nothing ever happens. Seems strange that a later firmware doesn't work.

Inbound: Sony STR-ZA5000ES and Martin Logan ESL-C

Sony 77A9G / Marantz SR-7012 / Martin Logan Motion 60XT, 50XT, Motion 4, Motion FX / 2 x Rythmik FV15HP / AppleTV 4K / ShieldTV (2019) / 170TB Plex Server
post #248 of 696 Old 02-27-2016, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 View Post
Neither of my LG drives (WH16NS40 (1.02) & WH14NS40 (1.03)) can read any of my UHD discs. The lights just flash, but nothing ever happens. Seems strange that a later firmware doesn't work.
The firmware on your drives is actually older from 2014.
LG now manufactures those same model numbers with a new SVC Code: NS50. The firmware for the NS50's is V1.00 but has a date of 8-18-2015.(there is typo in the firmware date. It says 8-18-2115) The drives were built in 10/2015

Last edited by doctorwizz; 02-27-2016 at 07:39 AM.
post #249 of 696 Old 02-27-2016, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The firmware on your drives is actually older from 2014.
LG now manufactures those same model numbers with a new SVC Code: NS50. The firmware for the NS50's is V1.00 but has a date of 8/2015. The drives were built in 10/2015
I know they make newer models, but I was looking at the drive name that MakeMKV was showing. Seems a bit weird that it is not reporting NS50. I have seen screenshots of those drives in MakeMKV before and they do correctly report the drive.

EDIT: I take all of that back... think I had too much beer last night... just ignore me...
doctorwizz likes this.

Inbound: Sony STR-ZA5000ES and Martin Logan ESL-C

Sony 77A9G / Marantz SR-7012 / Martin Logan Motion 60XT, 50XT, Motion 4, Motion FX / 2 x Rythmik FV15HP / AppleTV 4K / ShieldTV (2019) / 170TB Plex Server
post #250 of 696 Old 02-27-2016, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I know they make newer models, but I was looking at the drive name that MakeMKV was showing. Seems a bit weird that it is not reporting NS50. I have seen screenshots of those drives in MakeMKV before and they do correctly report the drive.
It's a little confusing, but the Model numbers have not changed with the new hardware revision.
The newer hardware revision on has a sticker on the bottom that says SVC Code: NS50 And they have a manufacturer date of 10-2015
The older hardware revision has a sticker that says SVC Code: NS40 and were built in 2014

Only the newer hw revisions can read UHD Discs.
Balthazar2k4 likes this.
post #251 of 696 Old 02-27-2016, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:

EDIT: I take all of that back... think I had too much beer last night... just ignore me...

Am I the only one who thought "This guy is definitely married." when I read that?
DavidinCT likes this.
post #252 of 696 Old 02-27-2016, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
Quote:

Am I the only one who thought "This guy is definitely married." when I read that?
Good guess
post #253 of 696 Old 02-28-2016, 01:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwikel View Post
Sorry, I guess I don't understand how the protection works. If the ISO image would still have the copy protections in it then why wouldn't a replacement copy made from the ISO have the same protections and be usable in the same way as the original?
Yeah pretty much if you did what you propose you effectively end up with a coaster--it's a disc you can never play back, I believe. Even attempting to play this disc with AACS-defeating software would not work, if I'm not mistaken.

This is why I was saying simply cracking AACS doesn't really give the majority of end-users anything to work with. Say for example you just read about the original AACS keys being discovered and then had the keys/strings to decrypt discs. Given you admittedly don't even understand how the various layers/types of protection work, you'd have no idea what to do with this stuff to get to the end result of a program like AnyDVD or DVDfab. And this goes for the vast majority of the public as well, no doubt.

So in the same way imagine in 6 months time AACS 2.0 is somehow cracked. Even if that information is published, there's nothing most of us are going to be able to do with it until a software program is on the market to implement it. Of course it seems AACS LA is methodically eliminating companies/software that might possibly let people make use of such a "cracking'.
post #254 of 696 Old 02-28-2016, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
Unless I am mistaken, the reason they were able to crack AACS as quickly as they did is because they were able to reverse engineer it using BD-ROM drives and licensed Blu-Ray playback software. Basically that had an encrypted treasure map that contained the locations of both the lock and the key. With AACS 2.0, they currently only have half of that encrypted treasure map. So, I suspect that it could take considerably longer to crack, unless we start to see licensed Ultra Blu-Ray playback software for PC's soon.

There are probably other avenues that can be looked at, like attempting to crack standalone players with custom firmware and then porting that to PC. But, I think we are close to crossing the line regarding forum rules about discussion of piracy or copy-right infringement, so I am moving back to the original topic now.

Personally, I'll likely buy a standalone player some time in the next year or so (whenever I decide to bite the bullet and upgrade to a UHD display). If a means of playing back Ultra Blu-Rays on a PC or laptop comes about then I'll probably get a compatible external drive for my laptop/desktop too.
That's the same way they cracked DVDs as well. They aren't making that mistake 3 times in a row.
post #255 of 696 Old 02-29-2016, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It looks like Cyberlink is about to poop out their UHD-BD playback solution, likely named PowerDVD 16. They have a big sale on the current PowerDVD that ends March 1st. UHD-BD licenses take effect on that day.
JeffR1 likes this.
post #256 of 696 Old 02-29-2016, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
It's a little confusing, but the Model numbers have not changed with the new hardware revision.
The newer hardware revision on has a sticker on the bottom that says SVC Code: NS50 And they have a manufacturer date of 10-2015
The older hardware revision has a sticker that says SVC Code: NS40 and were built in 2014
LG really should have called this drive WH16NS50. It seems like it's what they call it internally (hence the actual NS50 marking) but somehow their US/Can marketing dept. decided not to name it as such

So the firmware "1.00" isn't older than the other one it's just a different drive with different firmware...that stupidly has the same model name over here.

Quote:
It looks like Cyberlink is about to poop out their UHD-BD playback solution, likely named PowerDVD 16. They have a big sale on the current PowerDVD that ends March 1st. UHD-BD licenses take effect on that day.
Could be but it's not exactly that much of a sale. It's been that price for a while now, always "on sale". The sale always expires but it seems like they perpetually renew it. I don't check that often but pretty sure it's been that price since October-November. If 16 is really coming out after that, this should be like $40, not $60. Interestingly it's the same dollar amount if you choose Canadian but doesn't that mean if you're actually American you'd be getting an effective 40%-ish discount? Unless they only allow those sales to ppl with Cdn billing addresses.

Same thing is true with stuff like PS+ though--if you're American and buy it in Canada you're essentially getting it cheaper given the dollar amount for it is the same.
post #257 of 696 Old 02-29-2016, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I forgot to add that PowerDVD revisions are historically - for the past 8 years anyway - released in March-April.
post #258 of 696 Old 02-29-2016, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's quite the analogy _ can't stop chuckling !
post #259 of 696 Old 02-29-2016, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello people,

allow me to join your discussion I am from Germany.

First I would like to say thanks for the information about the disc drive. I here hereby confirm that the LG BH16NS55 is able to read UHD Blu-ray media.

In my case it's about Chappie (Sony) which I received today from Amazon USA. The root folder has only AACS, BDMV and CERTIFICATE.

The STREAM directory in BDMV contains 157 elements with a total of 53,6 GB with 00001.m2ts having 53,4 GB. So that means this disc is not a BD-DL anymore since it is larger than 50 GB.

Of course I am not able to play anything from the disc.

Let me know if you want me to have a look at anything.

Hajo
post #260 of 696 Old 02-29-2016, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's quite the analogy _ can't stop chuckling !
Well, if past experiences with Cyberlink are anything to go by, it may very well be a piece of **** before it's been updated a few times.
JeffR1 likes this.
post #261 of 696 Old 02-29-2016, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, if past experiences with Cyberlink are anything to go by, it may very well be a piece of **** before it's been updated a few times.
Yeah, you got that right, I'm at version 14 now and I never did go to 15 _ seems to be lots of problems with it _ more so then 14.
Version 14 has been working well for me, so I just leave it alone.
post #262 of 696 Old 02-29-2016, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Got my LG WH16NS40 drive today from Newegg.ca here in Canada, it's dated June 2015, but the SVC code is wrong _ NS40
ROM version number is 1.00 though, but I don't think it will work.
I have a Chappie disc coming from Walmart, it should be here in about a week and I'll try it anyway just to be sure.
Since tomorrow is the official release day there may actually be some on the shelves, if there are, I'll pick one up and simply return Chappie when it arrives _ sick and tired of waiting.
So for anyone in Canada who wants to know if you will get the correct drive from Newegg.ca _ you will not, even though the picture on the web is the latest version.
What bugs me about this is that I have contacted a couple of sellers and none of them have the means to tell me what I'm actually getting, including B&H Photo.
post #263 of 696 Old 03-01-2016, 01:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajob View Post
...The STREAM directory in BDMV contains 157 elements with a total of 53,6 GB with 00001.m2ts having 53,4 GB. So that means this disc is not a BD-DL anymore since it is larger than 50 GB....
IMHO the new BD-XL standard uses layers of 33GB (instead of 25GB). Hence it's still a dual layer disc. I heard that triple layers are delayed because of yield and cost...
Gruesse aus Muenchen...

Alex

Last edited by RealJEDI; 03-01-2016 at 05:09 AM.
post #264 of 696 Old 03-01-2016, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yes, sorry, I didn't think of this or didn't understand it correctly.

So the correction would be that The Marsian is most probably a 50 GB BD with Double Layer and Chappie is a 66 GB BD-XL with double layer. I thought the BD-XL would just exist as 100 GB and 128 GB variants.

So most probably that means that all Ultra HD Blu-ray movies will be either on BD or BD-XL disc and can be read with a player that supports BD-XL.
post #265 of 696 Old 03-01-2016, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 66
BDXL is the writable format. We don't use the term when referring to UHD-BD even though the per-layer capacity is the same and achieved the same way.

Just say BD-50, BD-66, BD-100 when referring to UHD discs.

Increasing layers are extremely difficult to manufacture. We saw that already in the early days of Bluray when BD-50 took some time to become widely used. Well now triple layer is even more tricky, and will again take time to become widely used. Quad layer they simply didn't even bother to include it in the specs.
post #266 of 696 Old 03-01-2016, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Picked up my UHD Chappie disc and as expected it would not play on the drive I ordered from Newegg.ca _ SVC code NS40.
I ordered the one from Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/LG-WH16NS40-In...ds=LG+WH16NS40

It's quite a bit cheaper, so even with our crumby Canadian dollar, it works out about the same as from Newegg.ca.
post #267 of 696 Old 03-02-2016, 01:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 363
By the way a new version of AnyDVD (7.6.9.1) is out. Here is the changelog:

Code:
AnyDVD reborn! SlySoft is dead, long live RedFox!
•This is an intermediate release, so old customers can continue to use their existing AnyDVD license to watch their discs.
•This version can access the new RedFox Online Protection Database
•This version will only work, if already own a valid AnyDVD license
•For compatibility with 3rd party programs, AnyDVD will still use "SlySoft" for directories and registry paths
•It will replace an existing SlySoft AnyDVD installation
•New (Blu-ray): Support for new discs
•Some minor fixes and improvements
So I hope they're also working on AACS 2.0
post #268 of 696 Old 03-02-2016, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajob View Post
Hello people,
allow me to join your discussion I am from Germany.

First I would like to say thanks for the information about the disc drive. I here hereby confirm that the LG BH16NS55 is able to read UHD Blu-ray media.
In my case it's about Chappie (Sony) which I received today from Amazon USA. The root folder has only AACS, BDMV and CERTIFICATE.
The STREAM directory in BDMV contains 157 elements with a total of 53,6 GB with 00001.m2ts having 53,4 GB. So that means this disc is not a BD-DL anymore since it is larger than 50 GB.
Of course I am not able to play anything from the disc.
Let me know if you want me to have a look at anything.
Hajo
Morgen, Hajo. Willkomen im Forum! Aber ist "zu Forum"? Mein Deutsch ist nicht so gut. Danke fur die Info uber die BH16NS55. Ich habe meine Kopie von The Last Witch Hunter gestern Abend getesten. Das Ergebnis ist das gleich.
post #269 of 696 Old 03-02-2016, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Well, if I had been reading this earlier, I would have picked up the LG model, but I just ordered an ASUS BW-06D2X-U/BLK/G/AS BDXL writer to replace a dead BD reader. I guess we will have a chance at a data-point for one more drive this way.
post #270 of 696 Old 03-02-2016, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehamma View Post
By the way a new version of AnyDVD (7.6.9.1) is out. Here is the changelog:

Code:
AnyDVD reborn! SlySoft is dead, long live RedFox!
•This is an intermediate release, so old customers can continue to use their existing AnyDVD license to watch their discs.
•This version can access the new RedFox Online Protection Database
•This version will only work, if already own a valid AnyDVD license
•For compatibility with 3rd party programs, AnyDVD will still use "SlySoft" for directories and registry paths
•It will replace an existing SlySoft AnyDVD installation
•New (Blu-ray): Support for new discs
•Some minor fixes and improvements
So I hope they're also working on AACS 2.0
Why? They didn't crack the original encryption, why do you think they will crack the newer more complicated aacs2 ?

I don't get the thoughts of all the people on here, just blindly assuming somebody else will put in massive work to maybe, just maybe, crack the thing. maybe they will, maybe they won't, but assuming it will "just happen" is extremely naive.

How's the ps4 hacking coming along... Xbox one.... Wii u..... ????? I mean it's so easy right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page