Plex vs. Emby - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #151 of 195 Old 08-19-2016, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It seems as Emby has slashed price on their premium deal to 80 USD instead of the usual 100USD. I am thinking of jumping on that one, but I haven't followed the news lately, so just wanted to hear if it is because they are in trouble? I rather not spend 80USD and then find out the company is sold in an month or two, possibly revoking lifetime premium licenses.

EDIT:

Asked in another way, is the new Emby Theater worth paying 80USD for over the old free one?

Last edited by Schroinx; 08-19-2016 at 09:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 195 Old 08-19-2016, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Well, I was willing to give Emby a try again, but when I went to download Emby Theater I see that it requires a subscription. That's a big fat nope for me. *sigh*

It would be one thing if it was 100% completed and stable, but I doubt that's the case.

Mr Zoid

A GF that bought me a PS3 and a HD-A2? I'm a lucky man!
post #153 of 195 Old 08-19-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZoid View Post
Well, I was willing to give Emby a try again, but when I went to download Emby Theater I see that it requires a subscription. That's a big fat nope for me. *sigh*

It would be one thing if it was 100% completed and stable, but I doubt that's the case.

Mr Zoid
You can still dl the old and free version of ET here:
http://emby.media/community/index.ph...egacy-version/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 195 Old 08-19-2016, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroinx View Post
You can still dl the old and free version of ET here:
http://emby.media/community/index.ph...egacy-version/
I saw that, but if it is a different app then it doesn't help me test.

It'd be one thing if they gave a free trial app with full functionality, but to say "you've got to subscribe", even at $5 or $6 for a one month subscription, leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Mr Zoid

A GF that bought me a PS3 and a HD-A2? I'm a lucky man!
post #155 of 195 Old 08-19-2016, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
Good question and one that I asked. When I asked the reply was it is best not to get too exotic.

RG6 is a widely used standard. RG6 can also be used for control. As I put in solid core RG6 is can carry current. And finally, recently I am getting a much better signal/picture from my TV's tuner than I get from my HDHR3 which is suddenly the reverse of many years of the HDHR3 producing the better picture. RG6 is a standard cable for antenna wire and with ATSC3 under development OTA may remain an excellent source of high quality video and audio for years.

I know I will use the RG6 for the next few years. As I am running it in 2 inch conduit I can pull the RG6 out and put in whatever comes next.

Or maybe in a few years wifi will be superior to wire.
I don't have any RG6 but for the feed to my Cable Modem and the HDHR Primes. All else is ethernet although the RG6 cabling does exist in the walls because I'm not doing any labor to take it out!

post #156 of 195 Old 08-19-2016, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 345
I bought in early when MB3 first rolled out for something like $20. I'm grandfathered into Emby Premier. I was using PLEX too at the time but didn't like it as much so I've sort of grown with Emby over the last few years. I like it. As all these things there's a few glitches here and there but for the most part it is pretty rock solid and does what I need it to do. I saw some discussion here about lack of ISO support. I was in on the discussion of that about two years ago on their forum. Basically it is because of the lower percentage of useage of ISO vs MKV. I have to agree. I have like 4 ISO's, all 3D, and hundreds of MKV's. Emby Theater will load MPC-HC as an external player and with LAV 0.68 you get 3D playback..

post #157 of 195 Old 08-19-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:

It'd be one thing if they gave a free trial app with full functionality, but to say "you've got to subscribe", even at $5 or $6 for a one month subscription, leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Mr Zoid
I think you can try it out but not play movies.
post #158 of 195 Old 08-20-2016, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:

Mr Zoid
You can do a full trial, but video playback is only for 1 minute.

You can 'subscribe' and then cancel after a month for a $5 complete trial.

You can buy it, without having a monthly subscription for $100, on sale currently for $80.

I wish I knew how long that $80 sale was lasting. I might want to buy it, but I'm in flux and don't have my HTPC available for easy testing. I need to do a $5 month "demo" to make sure everything works as I expect.
post #159 of 195 Old 08-20-2016, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Here's an important detail in "Lifetime"

Quote:
Lifetime Term: Lifetime shall mean the current major version of the Emby server software or twenty-four months, whichever is longer. (E.g. The Emby server software is currently at version 3.XXXX. A lifetime subscription shall be valid until Emby server software reaches version 4.XXX or twenty-four months, whichever occurs later.)
It appears "lifetime" means, your installed copy doesn't expire. But you get updates for only two years. That might be why the price is reduce to $80. If you want to stay up to date, "Lifetime" at $100 is more expensive than "Annual" at $40/yr. I might buy the annual instead.

I've posted on the Emby forum asking for an explanation. I don't understand the TOS for the "Lifetime" purchase.

Last edited by ShoutingMan; 08-20-2016 at 07:12 AM.
post #160 of 195 Old 08-20-2016, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post
Here's an important detail in "Lifetime"

It appears "lifetime" means, your installed copy doesn't expire. But you get updates for only two years. That might be why the price is reduce to $80. If you want to stay up to date, "Lifetime" at $100 is more expensive than "Annual" at $40/yr. I might buy the annual instead.

I've posted on the Emby forum asking for an explanation. I don't understand the TOS for the "Lifetime" purchase.
Can you post a link for this? This seems kind of odd to me... I installed Emby last night, I'm king of liking it, and until reading this was seriously considering the $80 purchase....
post #161 of 195 Old 08-20-2016, 07:27 PM
G--

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
Can you post a link for this? This seems kind of odd to me... I installed Emby last night, I'm king of liking it, and until reading this was seriously considering the $80 purchase....
I don't see why everyone is trying to buy the service, unless it's for series recordings for their DVR software. Otherwise the free version works fine for dishing out your content, and for remote streaming of live tv from a HDHR prime/connect, though you will have to buy the app at $5 per device. And afaik the premier sub is good for this version of Emby, after they upgrade to 4.0, it will be void. Probably a yr or two I'm guessing.
psuKinger likes this.
post #162 of 195 Old 08-21-2016, 06:55 AM

Quote:
They say it is as with other software. Say you buy PS4.0 and your license is valid for 4.0 with full functionality, but you will need to pay for PS5.0 when/if it is coming out some day.
psuKinger likes this.
post #163 of 195 Old 08-21-2016, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Quote:
They say it is as with other software. Say you buy PS4.0 and your license is valid for 4.0 with full functionality, but you will need to pay for PS5.0 when/if it is coming out some day.
I'm 99.9% certain that Plex Pass Lifetime doesn't have this limitation. It is also 50% of what this thread is concerned about. So I'd say the better deal for a lifetime membership option between the two goes to Plex.

post #164 of 195 Old 08-21-2016, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
http://emby.media/premiereterms.html

People on the forum say it means that you have a license to the current version 3.x, and no free upgrade to v4, but v3 lifetime license won't expire.

I don't understand the wording of the TOS, but I'm told the actual meaning is benign.
psuKinger likes this.
post #165 of 195 Old 08-21-2016, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-- View Post
I don't see why everyone is trying to buy the service, unless it's for series recordings for their DVR software. Otherwise the free version works fine for dishing out your content, and for remote streaming of live tv from a HDHR prime/connect, though you will have to buy the app at $5 per device. And afaik the premier sub is good for this version of Emby, after they upgrade to 4.0, it will be void. Probably a yr or two I'm guessing.
The "Premier Terms of Service" page makes mention of "15 premier devices" at any one time, and further defines a "premier device" as a "mobile, computer, or other electronic" device (so, basically everything??). 15 is obviously significantly more than what I'd need...

But is there a device limit on non-premier? I certainly don't need 15... but I would have use for more than 1... Plex, for example, has no limitation on simultaneous devices, even for non-plex-pass users. Personally, my server would probably crash somewhere between three and five simultaneous users, regardless of whether we're talking about Plex or Emby.

As long as I can have two or three devices accessing Emby at the same time without their Premier subscription, I think your post above has likely saved me $50-$60 (depending on exactly how many devices I decide to purchase the individual app for), so thank you for that... I'm already salty about shelling out $150 for Plex Pass, purely for the Plex Sync function, and it basically not working for shizzit for my Android TabS Tablet (which otherwise purs like a kitten and is the best mobile device I've personally ever used), and I ended up just cranking out my own mobile-friendly .mp4 files using AVS4You and then manually changing my watched states on Plex... I'm not *eager* to make a similar, all-be-it-less expensive mistake with Emby, if I can do everything else that I could possibly want to do with it by just paying for a couple apps (Android mobile, Android Tablet, Android TV, Windows 10... maybe iPad).
post #166 of 195 Old 08-21-2016, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-- View Post
I'm considering Emby Premiere to use it as the front-end to my HTPC for my theater. It has a feature or two that specifically meet my goals, better than Plex and Kodi.
post #167 of 195 Old 08-21-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I'm considering Emby Premiere to use it as the front-end to my HTPC for my theater. It has a feature or two that specifically meet my goals, better than Plex and Kodi.
Tried Kodi for my mac air and it is a nightmare to setup and inherently unstable.

A long time ago I tried Plex but it was not flexible enough.

I have gone with the 79.99 offer from Emby as it is more sleek. You can get a lot of the functionality in the free version.
post #168 of 195 Old 08-21-2016, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Tried Kodi for my mac air and it is a nightmare to setup and inherently unstable.

A long time ago I tried Plex but it was not flexible enough.

I have gone with the 79.99 offer from Emby as it is more sleek. You can get a lot of the functionality in the free version.
I'm in a similar situation. Kodi's design and UI are non-obvious to me; it's a different design language than what I understand. Plex is great and its "optimization" feature is very nice. But Emby supports External Players, which is perfect for me and will probably be the deciding factor.

I'm not quite ready to buy, so I hope the $79.99 price lasts a little while.
post #169 of 195 Old 08-21-2016, 10:44 PM

Quote:
But Emby supports External Players, which is perfect for me and will probably be the deciding factor.

I'm not quite ready to buy, so I hope the $79.99 price lasts a little while.
It just ended. But if your using an external player anyway, then you can use the old version of ET and don't have to purchase it. I don´t know if you can use the new version of ET for free with a external player.
post #170 of 195 Old 08-23-2016, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Other thing you need emby premiere to use emby on the ipad app. Otherwise you can't play video.
post #171 of 195 Old 08-23-2016, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've been using Plex, with mostly-great results, for over three years. A recent PMS update has broken the ability to play back my collection of .wtv windows media center DVR'd recordings (commercially edited with VideoReDo). So I downloaded Emby over the weekend, and have been using it for 3 or 4 days now.

My conclusions:
Plex is considerably faster than Emby. It's not just starting a file for playback. Each and every menu you navigate through, as you drill down to the actual show/episode/movie you want to watch, takes multiple seconds to load on Emby, whereas I navigate around on Plex much like I do Netflix... menus load and feel near-instant.

BUT, .WTV playback is currently working on Emby... as is Emby's ability to transcode a live TV stream from my HDHomeRun Prime for my mobile devices... neither of which is currently working on Plex... so, for now, I guess I'm using Emby for Live and Commercially Edited TV, and either Plex or SPMC for Blu Ray rips.

Last edited by psuKinger; 08-23-2016 at 09:14 AM.
post #172 of 195 Old 08-27-2016, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

I bought Emby Premiere (Lifetime). I'm pretty sure it will do what I want, and I didn't want to miss the sale, which I assume ends Sept 1.
post #173 of 195 Old 08-27-2016, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks to some help/info from @TornadoTJ , I was able to manually uninstall the latest version of PMS via Control Panel, and then reinstall an older version that had worked well for me...

The menu navigation and load times were just painfully slow in Emby, so although I still have some complaints and quabbles about Plex, it's definitely a better option for me...
post #174 of 195 Old 11-06-2016, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Just facing up to this question myself and I'm a monthly subscriber with Emby (currently not using it after retiring my HTPC a few weeks ago). My main need at the time was as a Kodi library manger and the app on the Amazon Fire TV boxes.

Now I'm facing a new requirement in that my kids are using tablets on a regular basis and a couple of Amazon Fire 7" Kids Edition tablets might be arriving for Christmas. I can see real value in installing a media player app where they can watch their TV shows and movies on demand. While I know Emby can do it I've had a few issues with their Android app where every few days I would need to do a force quit and restart it. I'm also not thrilled with this idea of Emby Connect users (in fact I'm confused by it) and I think I need an Internet connection to run any of the apps.

So if I zero in on this particular use case I need....

Ability to create profiles which will only display certain media. I do have my media split into Kids & Adults folders so if a profile is limited to accessing certain folders only, it will work for me.

Transcoding as the Fire tablets are not that powerful.

I'd like to be able to sync content to a tablet for car journeys. This must be available without an Internet connection. Also if I can sync it in lower quality - I don't want to be syncing over 40GB Blu-rays for example. But a 1GB 720p or lower lossy version would be fine.

Access to my media outside of my home network.

Also I'd like the power to limit the client app if possible - not delete profiles, change settings etc. (guessing this is not possible with either)

A simple UI that the kids can figure out.

DIY Sound Group 893 & Volt 8's Build Thread
post #175 of 195 Old 04-23-2017, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Plex Pass user. Tried Emby last night for while. It isn't as good as Plex. Sorry but unless it is more stable, which it isn't, its interface as compared to Plex puts Plex on top. Emby seems to be trying hard but it isn't getting it done.

Emby has the TV shows all jacked up. It is difficult as a client to get to a simple "Wall" from which to pick shows.

Plex is having issues as well with stability, upgrades breaking things, etc. But Emby is no Plex killer.
post #176 of 195 Old 04-24-2017, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Plex (at least used to be) a no-go for me because of the hundreds of movies that I had ripped to VIDEO_TS. I've spent a fair bit of time converting to MKV, but Plex just never wowed me as much as the hype. I've been an Emby user since MB2 I think, and got on early with the Premier Pass when they went that route. I tend to pay too much money for stuff that never comes to fruition. I'm looking at you PlayOn lifetime pass...
post #177 of 195 Old 04-24-2017, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post
Plex Pass user. Tried Emby last night for while. It isn't as good as Plex. Sorry but unless it is more stable, which it isn't, its interface as compared to Plex puts Plex on top. Emby seems to be trying hard but it isn't getting it done.

Emby has the TV shows all jacked up. It is difficult as a client to get to a simple "Wall" from which to pick shows.

Plex is having issues as well with stability, upgrades breaking things, etc. But Emby is no Plex killer.
I have both.

Pros and cons:
Plex has a better interface.
Plex transcoder is better.
Emby has live TV.
Emby has a nice TV guide on clients, like others
(WMC, etc)
Emby client "recovers" faster than Plex client on Roku,
when skipping/fast forwarding (note that the other un-
offical Plex client is better too).
post #178 of 195 Old 04-26-2017, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith View Post
I have both.

Pros and cons:
Emby has live TV.
(WMC, etc)
Thanks for this great comparison! If you don't mind, what roles are you using plex and emby for respectively?
post #179 of 195 Old 04-26-2017, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Thumbs up

I have both too. I agree, those are the same pros and cons I noticed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith View Post
I have both.

Pros and cons:
Emby has live TV.
(WMC, etc)
post #180 of 195 Old 04-26-2017, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by phr0sty View Post
Thanks for this great comparison! If you don't mind, what roles are you using plex and emby for respectively?
I'm still debating on which way I'll go, back to Kodi (great video and skip/ff) or the Plex/Emby route. I'm not in a hurry, as I have both on separate systems and can play around with them .

I originally had a KODI setup on a chromebox with TVHeadEnd for OTA DVR, and a "server" using Fedora (vortexbox.org) to rip and hold my DVDs in .mkv format. But a lightning strike took out a few things, chromebox, AVR, switches, modem, etc...basically anything wired to my network.

So I wanted to see if I could just use my Rokus instead building a new Kodi system. I started looking at Plex, as it was coming out with a DVR and Emby already had one. I like supporting projects, so I subbed for both.

I didn't like the skip/ff buffering time on the Roku with the official app, so I tried the FireTv and the MI Box. Skip/ff was good, however I noticed that the video was skipping frames or something on the Android TV boxes. I went to Plex forum and sure enough some others (firetv, nvidia box, mi box) were talking about it (note that many didn't notice). It has to do with the internal player being used. I've tried SPMC app, which improved the video somewhat.

I've been hoping that Plex would come out with a tv guide on the client (currently, you have schedule with a browser). But in the mean time, I created an Emby system to try it out. Really like the way they did the Tv guide. It's not as smooth scrolling the on the Roku, like the FireTv app...but they just released the Roku app a few months ago.

I've switched gears and I'm now playing around with video/cctv software (Motion, zoneMinder, BlueCherry, etc) for the fun of it, and creating an isolated vlan (without internet access) for the cameras, as you never know what is being sent back to home base (i.e. China servers).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page