Guide: Building a 4K HTPC for madVR - Page 124 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 960Likes

post #3691 of 3795 Old 11-15-2019, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1150 Post(s)
Liked: 680
I'm glad you found something that seems to be working correctly. I am also glad that the other members encouraged you to use multiple other external media players when you had one that is likely working correctly already.

You should know that more than 2.2 million people have visited the DSPlayer thread since it opened at the Kodi forums. It is working correctly for many.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3692 of 3795 Old 11-15-2019, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy2416 View Post
I was seeing the difference between MPC-HC and DSPlayer. I have yet to try MPC-BE but will probably give it a go as it seems like the more current player. As many have mentioned it is most likely a setting difference that I have somewhere.

As far as I understand I just need to create at playercorefactory.xml file to make use of an external player just like this and save it in my Kodi user data folder.

<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="MPC-HC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>C:\Program Files\MPC-HC\mpc-hc64.exe</filename>
<args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args>
<hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
<hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
<warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
</player>
</players>
</playercorefactory>

And big thanks to you and everyone else that create these guides. There is no way I could make this happen without them!
So I have created the playercorefactory.xml and saved it here - C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata

But the video still launches with DSPlayer. I even deselected DSplayer as my default player and checked the MPC was located in the correct location. Is there something else I need to change or am missing?
post #3693 of 3795 Old 11-15-2019, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Is it possible to use Plex inside of Kodi and still use MadVR for the video renderer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3694 of 3795 Old 11-15-2019, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Is it possible to use Plex inside of Kodi and still use MadVR for the video renderer?
Yup, its how I do it. Kodi dsplayer + plex for kodi plugin

There is a how-to for everything dsplayer except for adding the plex addon over on the kodi forum
post #3695 of 3795 Old 11-16-2019, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1050ti issues - random blackouts witih MPC HC

hi folks,
just spent the day troubleshooting. i'm using a gigabyte 1050ti, + i3 2105 + 4gb RAM.

When playing any video - either some simple 1080 or 4k, the video performance is absolutely fine through madVR - i'm not using any hardcore settings.
However i randomly get blackouts - the screen will switch off and blink black for a few seconds, then return.
Sometimes it will do it after 20 minutes, sometimes after 10 seconds. Its totally random and theres no pattern to it. Its infuriating.

it appears to be better after a restart - thats the only pattern i can discern. I'll restart, then start the video, it'll blink, i'll close mpchc, restart the video, its like i have to 'cycle' through to get it going. Then it'll play the video for 10 minutes or 20, then it'll blackout again. WHen the video is playing, its fine. Audio and framerate, no issues.

Like someone is randomly pulling the HDMI cable in and out of the card, is the best way to describe it.

After much troubleshooting and swapping out components from different systems to try and isolate the issue - its definitely a card issue, with MPC HC. Its definitely not an issue with any other component - as i've swapped the card out to my other systems, tried different psu's etc.

The video plays Fine in VLC. But in MPC HC even if i don't use madvr and put it on system default video renderer, the blackouts are there.

Is there any software setting that anyone can think of that might be causing these black dropouts?

Last edited by schloss; 11-16-2019 at 11:37 AM.
post #3696 of 3795 Old 11-16-2019, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schloss View Post
hi folks,
just spent the day troubleshooting. i'm using a gigabyte 1050ti, + i3 2105 + 4gb RAM.

When playing any video - either some simple 1080 or 4k, the video performance is absolutely fine through madVR - i'm not using any hardcore settings.
However i randomly get blackouts - the screen will switch off and blink black for a few seconds, then return.
Sometimes it will do it after 20 minutes, sometimes after 10 seconds. Its totally random and theres no pattern to it. Its infuriating.

it appears to be better after a restart - thats the only pattern i can discern. I'll restart, then start the video, it'll blink, i'll close mpchc, restart the video, its like i have to 'cycle' through to get it going. Then it'll play the video for 10 minutes or 20, then it'll blackout again. WHen the video is playing, its fine. Audio and framerate, no issues.

Like someone is randomly pulling the HDMI cable in and out of the card, is the best way to describe it.

After much troubleshooting and swapping out components from different systems to try and isolate the issue - its definitely a card issue, with MPC HC. Its definitely not an issue with any other component - as i've swapped the card out to my other systems, tried different psu's etc.

The video plays Fine in VLC. But in MPC HC even if i don't use madvr and put it on system default video renderer, the blackouts are there.

Is there any software setting that anyone can think of that might be causing these black dropouts?
I am getting the exact same issue today with MPC and DSPlayer and have been trying to isolate it all day. It worked fine 2 days ago but not today and I have no idea what's going on???

I haven't changed anything

Has there been a windows update or something? You are describing exactly the issue that I am having!

Last edited by coxy2416; 11-16-2019 at 12:36 PM.
post #3697 of 3795 Old 11-16-2019, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I am getting the exact same issue today with MPC and DSPlayer and have been trying to isolate it all day. It worked fine 2 days ago but not today and I have no idea what's going on???

I haven't changed anything

Has there been a windows update or something? You are describing exactly the issue that I am having!
nah different thing for me, i've had it since i bought the card back in July - just couldnt be bothered to sort it out till now.
post #3698 of 3795 Old 11-16-2019, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

I haven't changed anything [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif[/IMG]

nah different thing for me, i've had it since i bought the card back in July - just couldnt be bothered to sort it out till now.
Sorry, you have always had this issue or it’s new for you?

I have not had this issue and am just getting it now.
post #3699 of 3795 Old 11-16-2019, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
hi folks,

Has anyone else had or seen this issue? Have not been able to correct it as of yet.

There was a large windows update that needs to install so not sure if that will correct the issue.
post #3700 of 3795 Old 11-16-2019, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Had a similar experience pop up out of the blue. Tested absolutely everything, and the only fix I could find was to enable windowed mode instead of full screen exclusive mode and delete all other monitor profiles besides my projector from madvr
post #3701 of 3795 Old 11-17-2019, 12:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1534 Post(s)
Liked: 2428
I have had a few PM,s with enquiry,s as to what case i use for my HTPC and the 2080TI ...... in regards to concerns of cooling the 2080TI as will be used in the top spec Envy.

I use a "Silverstone Crown CW03B " ....beautifully built case, ALL aluminium with Touch Screen display. ..........Concerning cooling.....i have NO issues whatsoever with the 2080TI.....fully loaded GPU temps run arounf 65c with custom fan profile.

I know @madshi and co have gone to great lengths on the design of the Envy and cooling, so cooling the 2080TI used in the top verison wont be an issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0400ww.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	836.8 KB
ID:	2642068   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0399ww.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	844.8 KB
ID:	2642070   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0396ww.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	797.7 KB
ID:	2642072   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0398ww.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	789.7 KB
ID:	2642074   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0395ww.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	655.3 KB
ID:	2642076  

Name:	DSC_0394ww.jpg
Size:	671.0 KB
ID:	2642078   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0393ww.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	709.5 KB
ID:	2642080  
post #3702 of 3795 Old 11-17-2019, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1150 Post(s)
Liked: 680
That case is quite large, but it is attractive. Does it produce any noise during playback?
post #3703 of 3795 Old 11-17-2019, 01:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1534 Post(s)
Liked: 2428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkyoman View Post
That case is quite large, but it is attractive. Does it produce any noise during playback?
When the GPU is fully loaded ( playback) it is barley audible.

The case fans themselves are low velocity 90/120mm pretty much silent. The GPU fans at 60% are just audible if you put your ear to the case sides.
post #3704 of 3795 Old 11-17-2019, 01:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 5491 Post(s)
Liked: 3579
Quote:
Yea turned my Kodi into plex basically. Kodi has no library and within 1 second of loading Kodi, plex loads. Plex uses my external player with madVR to play the videos. I even heavily modified the plex for kodi plugin and basically its now my own code path

https://forums.plex.tv/t/plex-for-kodi-update/396541/8
coxy2416 likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #3705 of 3795 Old 11-17-2019, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
I have had a few PM,s with enquiry,s as to what case i use for my HTPC and the 2080TI ...... in regards to concerns of cooling the 2080TI as will be used in the top spec Envy.

I use a "Silverstone Crown CW03B " ....beautifully built case, ALL aluminium with Touch Screen display. ..........Concerning cooling.....i have NO issues whatsoever with the 2080TI.....fully loaded GPU temps run arounf 65c with custom fan profile.

I know @madshi and co have gone to great lengths on the design of the Envy and cooling, so cooling the 2080TI used in the top verison wont be an issue.
Looks awesome!
post #3706 of 3795 Old 11-17-2019, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
hi folks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgdl View Post
Had a similar experience pop up out of the blue. Tested absolutely everything, and the only fix I could find was to enable windowed mode instead of full screen exclusive mode and delete all other monitor profiles besides my projector from madvr
I will have a look into this shortly. Just can't understand why this happened out of the blue. I watched a whole movie a day before with no issues and then the next day it goes hay wire and blacking out with no random pattern.

I finally got my settings dialed in and even got my external player working. It is like 1 step forward and 2 steps backwards. I guess that's the joys of dealing with a HTPC and windows 10

Now that I have seen MadVR I can not go back so I have to get this figured out....
post #3707 of 3795 Old 11-17-2019, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I will have a look into this shortly. Just can't understand why this happened out of the blue. I watched a whole movie a day before with no issues and then the next day it goes hay wire and blacking out with no random pattern.

I finally got my settings dialed in and even got my external player working. It is like 1 step forward and 2 steps backwards. I guess that's the joys of dealing with a HTPC and windows 10

Now that I have seen MadVR I can not go back so I have to get this figured out....
My HTPC has been solid for multiple years. I never have any of these weird problems. The black out problem to me sounds like a bad HDMI cable. I'd swap that sucker with another one. The cable from the PC to the receiver seems like the most obvious, however, if the sound keeps playing it could be the cable from the projector to the receiver. I'd start by swapping the easy to swap one with another component.
coxy2416 likes this.

Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #3708 of 3795 Old 11-17-2019, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Quote:

I finally got my settings dialed in and even got my external player working. It is like 1 step forward and 2 steps backwards. I guess that's the joys of dealing with a HTPC and windows 10 [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/IMG]

My HTPC has been solid for multiple years. I never have any of these weird problems. The black out problem to me sounds like a bad HDMI cable. I'd swap that sucker with another one. The cable from the PC to the receiver seems like the most obvious, however, if the sound keeps playing it could be the cable from the projector to the receiver. I'd start by swapping the easy to swap one with another component.
I am not sure it’s the HDMI cable. If I just watch the movie in MPC and do not enable full screen mode the video plays fine with no issues.

It is when I put it in full screen mode I start getting the black outs Instantly. Any ideas here? To me this sounds like a setting that needs to be checked or unchecked.
post #3709 of 3795 Old 11-17-2019, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I finally got my settings dialed in and even got my external player working. It is like 1 step forward and 2 steps backwards. I guess that's the joys of dealing with a HTPC and windows 10 [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/IMG]

I am not sure it’s the HDMI cable. If I just watch the movie in MPC and do not enable full screen mode the video plays fine with no issues.

It is when I put it in full screen mode I start getting the black outs Instantly. Any ideas here? To me this sounds like a setting that needs to be checked or unchecked.
Maybe I was wrong on this one. I did just swap out my HDMI cable and this may have solved the issue. Maybe I should have started there. Lol
post #3710 of 3795 Old 11-17-2019, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Maybe I was wrong on this one. I did just swap out my HDMI cable and this may have solved the issue. Maybe I should haBe started there. Lol
More data is transmitted when in full screen than in windowed mode. But that aside, it could be other things (over heating video card, some weird driver issue, etc), but why not start with what's easy? It *can* also be video cable.

post #3711 of 3795 Old 11-17-2019, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
I am not sure it&#226;€&#x2122;&#xfe0f;s the HDMI cable. If I just watch the movie in MPC and do not enable full screen mode the video plays fine with no issues.

Quote:
Maybe I was wrong on this one. I did just swap out my HDMI cable and this may have solved the issue. Maybe I should haBe started there. Lol
More data is transmitted when in full screen than in windowed mode. But that aside, it could be other things (over heating video card, some weird driver issue, etc), but why not start with what's easy? It *can* also be video cable.
You are correct. Should have started with the easiest test instead of everything else I did. Lol hopefully this solves the issue.

Overheating isn’t something I am currently worried about. The video card has lots of room to breath.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	67FBFBA7-8801-40C8-A4BA-451F52D9751D_1574002620585.jpg
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	2642142  
post #3712 of 3795 Old 11-17-2019, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1289 Post(s)
Liked: 469
go to the event viewer -> windows logs -> system and look for a warning with the event id 4101
markmon1 likes this.
post #3713 of 3795 Old 11-17-2019, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post

MAN this is sick.. About how much did this cost to build.
post #3714 of 3795 Old 11-18-2019, 03:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yea turned my Kodi into plex basically. Kodi has no library and within 1 second of loading Kodi, plex loads. Plex uses my external player with madVR to play the videos. I even heavily modified the plex for kodi plugin and basically its now my own code path

https://forums.plex.tv/t/plex-for-kodi-update/396541/8
Sweet, I will have a look over this and pick your brain when I go to set it up once I get my HTPC up and running. Ended up finding a computer on the classifieds in my area for $380 so not a bad deal and will pick it up tonight and integrate my 2060.

Asus Z97-A motherboard
i5-4690k
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 (4*4gb)
120GB SSD
1TB drive
Asus wifi card
2x Corsair HD120 RGB fans with controller
2x CoolerMaster RGB fans
Corsair H60 water cooler
Corsair CX650 PSU
24" monitor (60hz) a mechanical keyboard and mouse
post #3715 of 3795 Old 11-21-2019, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hi guys!

What do you think about this build?

- CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 1300X
- Mboard: Gigabyte Aorus B450 I Pro Wifi
- GPU: Palit GTX 1660 SUPER StormX
- RAM: G.Skill F4-2400C17S-8GIS (1x8GB)
- PSU: CM MasterWatt 450
- Case: CM Elite 110

Target: 4K+HDR movies, 1080p upscaling, nice processing.

PS.: are some components overkill?
post #3716 of 3795 Old 11-21-2019, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

take a ryzen 3 1200 the 1300x has not much worth if you buy an GPU anyway.
no point in taking a board like this for a low end CPU.

the case make this system much more expensive and limites the GPU heavily.
i heaven't check but pretty sure you will need a CPU cooler because the stock cooler could be to high and this cooler may get loud because there is not much space to push air around.

recommendation is a case with matx support a cheap mainboard the cheaper CPU and put the money into a 2060 with a proper 2 fan cooler.
post #3717 of 3795 Old 11-21-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn View Post
the case make this system much more expensive and limites the GPU heavily.
I agree but I have no room for a mATX/ATX case, unfortunately.
post #3718 of 3795 Old 11-21-2019, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 2212 Post(s)
Liked: 931
Antonio, is there an option available, to not host the htpc in the room?
post #3719 of 3795 Old 11-21-2019, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

uatx/matx cases doesn't have to be much bigger then this case.
like an SilverStone Sugo SG11 or Thermaltake Urban SD1 they are more expensive clearly but the stock cooler my fit and the board should be much cheaper.
cases with can be placed on top or below an AVR can easily fit an matx board too.
post #3720 of 3795 Old 11-21-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
Antonio, is there an option available, to not host the htpc in the room?
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn View Post
uatx/matx cases doesn't have to be much bigger then this case.
like an SilverStone Sugo SG11 or Thermaltake Urban SD1 they are more expensive clearly but the stock cooler my fit and the board should be much cheaper.
cases with can be placed on top or below an AVR can easily fit an matx board too.
Ok, thanks! I will take a look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
htpc build , madvr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page