Guide: Building a 4K HTPC for madVR - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 797Likes

post #391 of 3082 Old 06-24-2017, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Many 4K movies are barely better than the 1080p Blu-Ray in terms of resolution, because often the DI was made in 2K, or the film scan was lacking quality, or the digital camera used for shooting was too low resolution. So there often isn't a whole lot of added pixel-level detail in 4K releases. There are exceptions, of course. And hopefully future 4K releases will get better.

DVD vs 1080p is such a big difference in resolution. We're talking about 720x480 vs 1920x1080. So FullHD has 6x as many pixels. And pretty much every studio master and scan has significantly higher resolution in it than 720x480.

So there's a world of a difference between DVD and 1080p, and (in terms of resolution at least) a much much smaller difference between 1080p and 4K. There's also the law of diminishing returns. Even if 4K had truly 4x as much detail as 1080p, the difference would be less obvious than the difference between DVD and 1080p.
I'll add that viewing distance is a very big factor that is often not even mentioned when it comes to "discerned" picture quality.

Going by my personal observation, I see shoppers in stores walking, looking at various TVs, standing much closer to them than they will when that TV they choose is sitting in their living room. Pretty much anybody can see the difference between 4K and 1080p images when they stand that close.

But when they finally sit down to watch that 4K TV from the same distance that they used to watch their 1080p TV, I can't help but speculate that they may be underwhelmed at their new versus old TV.

My wife and I have been using a 32" LED Sharp Aquous 1080p TV as a computer monitor (other stuff, too) for probably seven years. My eyes are about 32" from that display, but often closer, and then I can see the limitations of 1080p. So I've been wishing I could have an even larger monitor and now I'd like to have a 55" Sony x900e because I know that I'm going to fully appreciate everything a 4K display can provide at a close viewing distance and I'll just push or lean back a bit when I feel that that's appropriate.

To boil my belabored point down, IMHO, unless the average person's viewing distance decreases significantly, 4K sources and 4K displays will become the under-appreciated standard for living rooms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 3082 Old 06-25-2017, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked: 1393
Madvr HDR to SDR new functionalities!

Quote:
4K HDR to SDR Madvr Implementation
Hello Madshi,

Point 1)
I am a very happy user of Madvr, especially for 4K Upscaling of my favorite bluray via NGU. Thank you so much!

Point 2)
I have been recently also using your HDR to SDR (DCI-P3) shader math implementation with my projector Epson EH-LS10000 which can be perfectly calibrated to DCI-P3 D65.
I started using 400nits as "this display's peak nits" and it looked very nice.

However, I also noticed that for some portion of the HDR videos, the avg frame HDR peak luminance measured by Madvr (seen with Ctrl+Y) was lower than that. Sometimes, it even gets lower that 120nits for a longer period of time.

I created some keyboard combination shortcuts to quickly be able to change from 120nits to 1000nits.
As I result, I can clearly see that the user would get better brightness and HDR quality, if the display peak nits could be dynamicly based on what peak luminance madvr measure.

Could you implement something like this?

Maybe:
- use display peak nits as long as maximum frame peak luminance does not get below.
- if peak luminance get below, use peak luminance as new "display's peak nit"

Or something even smarter that you could come up with. I think there is much more to be gained from Madvr analysing each frame luminance as what is currently implemented. (maybe something based on the area of a luminance above a certain level...)

Point 3)
Again about HDR implementation and HDR to SDR implementation in Madvr.

Sony has used a pretty smart implementation of the ST2084 HDR Curve on it's 4K HDR projector (Sony VW520ES and Sony VW550ES).
This french review explains it very well.
http://performances-home-cinema.fr/2...n-hdr-rec2020/

Basically, Sony used a multiplicator on the ST2084 HDR to have a nice viewing experience on display like projector which will have at MAXIMUM 100nits true peak brightness. From what Alex_t is saying, this is very similar to the "Dolby Cinema" implementation of HDR.

- ST2084 at 400nits is about what Sony used for the Sony VW550ES which result in a multiplication factor of 4 if the projector outputs real 100nits peak brightness.
- ST2084 at 480nits is about what Sony used for the Sony VW520ES which result in a multiplication factor of 6 if the projector outputs real 80nits peak brightness.

Could you give us this option of using a multiplicator for the HDR curve? This would be very usefull for all of projector user.

For HDR to SDR, I imagine the process could be:
- take original ST2084 curve
- Apply multiplicator
- Translate to SDR Gamma 2.2 (for example) as you already do.

4) Again, thank you for your hard work on your free time. Madvr is a wonderful tool. I hope you can bring those ideas to real life. This would certainly be a huge improvement for all projector users with low nits (<100nits) output.

Florian

Last edited by Soulnight; 06-25-2017 at 08:19 AM.
post #393 of 3082 Old 06-25-2017, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by N3W813 View Post
(cross-post from Doom9's MadVR thread)
To all 1080 (non-Ti) users:

Can you guys play the LG 4K HDR demos at the link below without frame drops using a 1080 and Madvr at 60p? I'm using LAV video decoder with DXVA-CB HW decoding enabled for UHD and HEVC but I'm still getting frame drops. These files are 4K HEVC with HDR @59.94fps but I'm sure the 1080 can handle it?

MadVR - chroma upscaling = Bilinear, dithering = ED2, FSE D3D11 (required for HDR), nothing else enabled
Nvidia driver 378.92
Windows 10 64bit Anniversary Edition (1607)

http://demo-uhd3d.com/categorie.php?tag=hdr
I can play "The World in HDR 4K" LG video either downscaled to 1920x1080 8-bit window @ 59.951Hz or fullscreen-exclusive 2560x1440 10-bit if I set madVR to use image downscaling of DXVA2 or in software using Bicubic 50/Catmull-Rom, Lanczos 3 or 4, etc-- pretty much everything except Jinc or SSIM, which steadily drops frames.

Other madVR settings were chroma > Jinc AR or NGU Standard/med, and ED2 dithering. I do see a drop or two when first playing, or a burst when switching between windowed or full-screen, but the number doesn't increment after that if I let it play through another loop in repeat mode.

MSI 1080 (Ti, though) with nVidia's 382.53 driver-- rest of the system is an i7-4790K on an ASUS Z97-A w/ 16 GB DDR3 RAM and Win 10 64-bit (1703).

For playback, I was mostly using Daum PotPlayer and auto giving DXVA2 but CUVID worked fine as well; WMP played fine using DXVA2, but VLC seemed to be dropping frames regardless of madVR or LAV settings.

Primary (2.1): Thiel CS 1.2 / Velodyne F1000 sub / Adcom GFA-555 Mk2 / Rotel 970BX / Sony CDP-CA9 ES
Secondary (5.1): Paradigm Mini-Monitor v.3 / CC270 v.3 center / ADP-170 v.2 surrounds /
SVS SB1000 sub / Marantz SR-6010 / AppleTV + Win7 PC / BenQ BL3200PT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 3082 Old 06-25-2017, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 459 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked: 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulnight View Post
However, I also noticed that for some portion of the HDR videos, the avg frame HDR peak luminance measured by Madvr (seen with Ctrl+Y) was lower than that. Sometimes, it even gets lower that 120nits for a longer period of time.

I created some keyboard combination shortcuts to quickly be able to change from 120nits to 1000nits.
As I result, I can clearly see that the user would get better brightness and HDR quality, if the display peak nits could be dynamicly based on what peak luminance madvr measure.

Could you implement something like this?

Maybe:
- use display peak nits as long as maximum frame peak luminance does not get below.
- if peak luminance get below, use peak luminance as new "display's peak nit"

Or something even smarter that you could come up with. I think there is much more to be gained from Madvr analysing each frame luminance as what is currently implemented. (maybe something based on the area of a luminance above a certain level...)
I think some basics are needed to be explained first:

The PQ curve (ST2084) describes absolute luminance values. So for each pixel the HDR video says exactly with which brightness the pixel should be displayed. So if the HDR video says a pixel should have 100nits, then we should try to make it 100nits, nothing else. If we had a perfect display, capable of 10,000 nits, we would need no fancy processing at all. The display would simply render each pixel exactly as asked for by the HDR video. Sadly, today's displays can't do 10,000 nits, projectors are especially weak.

All that said, if you (truthfully) tell madVR which peak luminance your display has, madVR actually does render all pixels perfectly to spec, except specular highlights which the display can't handle. So if your display can reach 400 nits, and you tell madVR so, and if then the HDR video asks for a pixel to have 100 nits, then madVR will make sure that this pixel will measure as exactly 100 nits.

Practically that means, all pixels below 100 nits should look exactly the same, when using madVR, regardless of whether your display maxes out at 400 nits or 10,000 nits. If you render a video scene which maxes out at 400 nits, and if your display can reach 400 nits, then this scene will looks on your display exactly the same as it would look on a perfect 10,000 nits display.

In order to achieve this behaviour, you should measure your display's max luminance and enter it exactly in the madVR settings. *However*, projectors are a special case because they're so lacking in brightness. Fortunately many projector owners have a batcave and the eyes adjust to that, so some trickery is allowed. Because of that, for projector owners it's probably ok to enter a higher luminance peak value into the madVR settings than you really have, because your batcave makes up for the difference.

What you're asking for is to dynamically change *the whole tone mapping curve* depending on the peak luminance of each video frame. Doing that would mean that suddenly a pixel that should be 100 nits is 200 nits instead in scene A, but in scene B instead of 100 nits it's 300 nits etc. This would fly in the face of accuracy and cross-scene consistency. Dark scenes with no bright pixels would suddenly become much brighter in relation to bright scenes in the same movie. I don't think that's a good solution.

I do already use the measured peak luminance to modify the compression curve of pixels that are too bright for the display to handle. So if the peak luminance of the current video frame is higher than the display can handle, at least the brightest pixel will be drawn exactly with the highest nits value the projector can possibly achieve. Which wouldn't be the case if I didn't measure the peak luminance of each frame.

Quote:
Again about HDR implementation and HDR to SDR implementation in Madvr.

Sony has used a pretty smart implementation of the ST2084 HDR Curve on it's 4K HDR projector (Sony VW520ES and Sony VW550ES).
This french review explains it very well.
http://performances-home-cinema.fr/2...n-hdr-rec2020/

Basically, Sony used a multiplicator on the ST2084 HDR to have a nice viewing experience on display like projector which will have at MAXIMUM 100nits true peak brightness. From what Alex_t is saying, this is very similar to the "Dolby Cinema" implementation of HDR.

- ST2084 at 400nits is about what Sony used for the Sony VW550ES which result in a multiplication factor of 4 if the projector outputs real 100nits peak brightness.
- ST2084 at 480nits is about what Sony used for the Sony VW520ES which result in a multiplication factor of 6 if the projector outputs real 80nits peak brightness.

Could you give us this option of using a multiplicator for the HDR curve? This would be very usefull for all of projector user.

For HDR to SDR, I imagine the process could be:
- take original ST2084 curve
- Apply multiplicator
- Translate to SDR Gamma 2.2 (for example) as you already do.
I'm sorry but the article is in French which I don't understand and the automatic translation is awful. The graphs are bad, too, because they go from from 0.0 - 1.0 without really explaining what each axis is and which exact value maps to 1.0. Consequently, I don't really understand how the multiplicator is supposed to work.
Soulnight likes this.
post #395 of 3082 Old 06-26-2017, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think some basics are needed to be explained first:
Thanks for that. Always good to have. Happy to see I had the basics right.

I do understand that my proposal number 2 with dynamic picture brightness would resultt in a different viewing experience tha it was originally intended for. I was still interested how it would look like in real life and if you had any better idea.

For the HDR multiplicator, I hope some other member could jump it to try to explain it better than I did. Maybe you even already use it.

Alex_t, ConnecTEDDD, could you explain the concept behind Sony HDR multiplicator in order for Madshi to implement it in Madvr if possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_t View Post
Dear all.

A few days ago I asked to Steve if it could add a multiplier feature to manage HDR ST2084 with video projector as the Sony 550 which uses a factor to manage ST2084.

Yesterday I received a beta and the new version seems to do the job perfectly.

Frankly speaking, the customer service is more than excellent !

Thanks
Alexandre
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post

Light Illussion has released a Beta Version of LightSpace CMS 7.1.7.2513 (21 November 2016) which adding an HDR Multiplier feature for HDR Projection.

This gives the capability to test different Luminance multipliers, like 2x or 6x or 10x etc. to see which looks better to your setup, since the 3D LUT correction generation is very quick (2-3sec).

If there are users that are interesting to take a test drive; I can provide them a download link, just contact me here.

I am also wondering if Madvr is already doing this HDR to SDR remapping the same way that Lumagen pro just implemented it with the "Radiance Pro: HDR Intensity Mapping".
Any ideas Alex, Ted?
post #396 of 3082 Old 06-26-2017, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:

[...]
I am also wondering if Madvr is already doing this HDR to SDR remapping the same way that Lumagen pro just implemented it with the "Radiance Pro: HDR Intensity Mapping".
Any ideas Alex, Ted?
Hello,

I don't know how look HDR with madVR but I'm pretty sure it looks very well. At the moment I use madVR only with SDR.

About the Radiance PRO, I think I can repeat what Jim Peterson said about HDR rendering with a SDR display : the HDR intensity mapping (of Radiance PRO) allows (among other things) to put an HDR content in a SDR container. I like this explanation which is not technical at all but helpful from my point of view.

Alexandre
post #397 of 3082 Old 06-26-2017, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by cswiger View Post
I can play "The World in HDR 4K" LG video either downscaled to 1920x1080 8-bit window @ 59.951Hz or fullscreen-exclusive 2560x1440 10-bit if I set madVR to use image downscaling of DXVA2 or in software using Bicubic 50/Catmull-Rom, Lanczos 3 or 4, etc-- pretty much everything except Jinc or SSIM, which steadily drops frames.

Other madVR settings were chroma > Jinc AR or NGU Standard/med, and ED2 dithering. I do see a drop or two when first playing, or a burst when switching between windowed or full-screen, but the number doesn't increment after that if I let it play through another loop in repeat mode.

MSI 1080 (Ti, though) with nVidia's 382.53 driver-- rest of the system is an i7-4790K on an ASUS Z97-A w/ 16 GB DDR3 RAM and Win 10 64-bit (1703).

For playback, I was mostly using Daum PotPlayer and auto giving DXVA2 but CUVID worked fine as well; WMP played fine using DXVA2, but VLC seemed to be dropping frames regardless of madVR or LAV settings.
Thanks for testing cswiger! I'm not doing any downscaling like you are as I'm outputting at 4K resolution (3840x2160) @60Hz. I'll test at lower resolutions and see if frame drops continue to occur.

My ArgyllCMS/MadVR 3DLUT Creation Workflow
My Sharp Elite Movie THX AV Mode Settings
--Aug 2011 Set, 2.2 gamma [ link ]
--Nov 2012 Set, 2.2 gamma [ link ]
post #398 of 3082 Old 06-27-2017, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Madshi and Onkyoman,

I try to do everything but I still can't play 4K movies on my HTPC.
I got black screen without picture, only sound.

Here is my setup

CPU: core I5 7600 Kaby Lake
Motherboard: Asus Z270
Memory: 16GB DDR4
GPU: AMD RX480 8GB, latest driver
HDD: Samsung SSD 850 Pro
Player: zoom player 13.5
Filters: MadVR - Video, LAV - Audio
Projector: JVC X9500

Madvr settings:

• Chroma: NGU Sharp (very high)
  • Downscaling: SSIM 2D 100% + AR + LL
  • Image upscaling: Jinc + AR
  • Image doubling: Off
  • Upscaling refinement: Off
  • Artifact removal - Debanding: Low/Medium
  • Artifact removal - Deringing: Off
  • Image enhancements: crispen edges (1.0) + AR
Also, I try to change the madvr chroma and upscaling settings to medium or low and use DXVA (Native and Copy-Back) in LAV video settings.
I'm using windows 7, do you think that this is my problem?

How can I reset the Madvr to the default settings?
Superman2 likes this.
post #399 of 3082 Old 06-27-2017, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone tell me if I can run Mad VR 4K with some decent settings on a 1050 ti? Really interested in building a pretty small HTPC. It'll be accompanied by a 3.2GHz Skylake i5 and 8 GB RAM if that helps at all.
post #400 of 3082 Old 06-27-2017, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked: 426
@JhonS
try DXVA copyback

there should be a restore default settings.bat file in the madVR folder it resets madVR to defaults.

@Martin Natale
a 1050 ti should be fine.
post #401 of 3082 Old 06-28-2017, 06:52 AM
M-V

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Natale View Post
Anyone tell me if I can run Mad VR 4K with some decent settings on a 1050 ti? Really interested in building a pretty small HTPC. It'll be accompanied by a 3.2GHz Skylake i5 and 8 GB RAM if that helps at all.
Had a chance to run few tests on a 1050Ti 4Gb which I later exchanged with a 1060. So I can say that 1050 actually will do the job for 1080p/[email protected] 24p if you're not aiming for top settings like NGU high/very high and wish to keep GPU load around ~50-70%. (Depends on other processing options like artifact removal.)

30p/60p with 1050Ti are more tricky and would require to drop from NGU medium/low to super-xbr or in case of 60fps even lower. But 1060 and I guess even 1080Ti would require some tweaking for 60fps sources.
post #402 of 3082 Old 06-29-2017, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 982
I just got a GTX 1050 2GB (non-Ti), and having a hard time with HDR to SDR. It seems that many scenes even in [email protected] content peg the GPU up to close to 100% and it starts skipping frames like there's no tomorrow.
CPU is a 3GHz Core 2 Duo (load is always acceptable, so that's not the problem), 4GB RAM, running a fresh install of Win10 AU (not creator's update) and is connected to my M55-C2 (so no native HDR support).

I created a 3D LUT using my i1 display pro, hoping it would reduce the load on the GPU, and although it did help, it did not eliminate much of the stuttering. For example the intro scene into Planet Earth II: Islands.
I guess I underestimated the resources required for this type of conversion, but was hoping that there are tweaks I could try in MadVR to somehow claw back some performance out of this card to make things play without stutter, before I sell it and give up on this idea.

LG 65B7 | T95N with CoreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings (TBD)
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
Dell UP2516D | Le Potato with CoreELEC (Development/testing platform)
Vizio M55-C2 (Ex) | Calibration + Settings
post #403 of 3082 Old 06-29-2017, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

the 3d lut cost a additional Vram and you only have 2 GB.

while it is not totally impossible to use UHD with 2 GB using a 3D LUT is really pushing it.
post #404 of 3082 Old 06-29-2017, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks. Guess I'll give up on this adventure and sell this card on.
I was planning to upgrade the TV soon anyway, and already have something that can play HDR content on actual HDR displays.

post #405 of 3082 Old 06-29-2017, 11:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_t View Post
Hello,

I don't know how look HDR with madVR but I'm pretty sure it looks very well. At the moment I use madVR only with SDR.

About the Radiance PRO, I think I can repeat what Jim Peterson said about HDR rendering with a SDR display : the HDR intensity mapping (of Radiance PRO) allows (among other things) to put an HDR content in a SDR container. I like this explanation which is not technical at all but helpful from my point of view.

Alexandre
I do use Madvr for HDR REC2020 to SDR DCI-P3 D65 remapping.
Madvr let you decide the NIT level where you want to compress highlights above.

Looks very good.

I was only wondering if it could not look even better.

Could you go for into details for Madshi:
1) what exactly is the HDR multiplication factor that you talked about for Sony projector?
2) How could Madshi implement this (assumming he is not doing something similar already)
3) Could you more into detail for the lumagen pro as well since I believe you are quite the expert?

Thank you!
Florian
post #406 of 3082 Old 06-30-2017, 12:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 459 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked: 3040
FWIW, if you enter differents Nits levels in the madVR settings, this practically results in some sort of multiplication, too, but it also changes the tone mapping compression curves. I'm not sure if that's what Sony's doing, too, or not.
Soulnight likes this.
post #407 of 3082 Old 06-30-2017, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
I do use Madvr for HDR REC2020 to SDR DCI-P3 D65 remapping.
Madvr let you decide the NIT level where you want to compress highlights above.

Looks very good.

I was only wondering if it could not look even better.

Could you go for into details for Madshi:
1) what exactly is the HDR multiplication factor that you talked about for Sony projector?
2) How could Madshi implement this (assumming he is not doing something similar already)
3) Could you more into detail for the lumagen pro as well since I believe you are quite the expert?

Thank you!
Florian
Hello Florian.

I'm not in a position to explain anything to madshi because I'm not a designer, I don't know how madVR works and my findings are limited to what I measure and how I interpret those measurements according to the HDR/REC2020 specification.

1)I have measured HDR on Sony video projector and what I have found is when I measure the EOTF, I need to use the multiplier feature in Lightspace CMS to get my measurements matching with a specific HDR target (ST2084 remapped with multiplier). If I use ST2084 as per specification, it is impossible to follow a target with the projector and consequently impossible to calibrate the projector according to "suitable" reference.

2)HDR10 is quite complicated because all the necessary information are not in the same specification at the moment (or are missing). So I believe that it is up to the designer to interpret what he thinks HDR10 should look like. I'm pretty sure madVR does a great job with HDR, I would need a blu-ray 4K driver for testing this with my HTPC.

3)I know well all of the Lumagen Radiance and the PRO but it does not mean that I know of it has been designed. I have had the opportunity to test HDR intensity mapping feature and all I know about the Radiance PRO I have already shared it on AVS forum and HCFR forum.

Alexandre
Soulnight likes this.
post #408 of 3082 Old 06-30-2017, 05:25 AM

Hi I've got a GTX 960 2gb graphic card. What kind of settings can I run?
post #409 of 3082 Old 06-30-2017, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

depends on what you want to play at which resolution and refresh rate so there is no general answer.
post #410 of 3082 Old 06-30-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn View Post
depends on what you want to play at which resolution and refresh rate so there is no general answer.
Mostly 1080p Blu Rays
post #411 of 3082 Old 06-30-2017, 10:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

that doesn't change anything.

if you want to upscale a BD to UHD you can easily get in Vram problems with a 2GB card.
post #412 of 3082 Old 07-01-2017, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coolest View Post
Thanks. Guess I'll give up on this adventure and sell this card on.
I was planning to upgrade the TV soon anyway, and already have something that can play HDR content on actual HDR displays.
What app did you run madVR on ? If that mpc-hc/be, try Potplayer. On my htpc, Potplayer gives less dropped frames than mpc.
post #413 of 3082 Old 07-01-2017, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@long_pn

I'm using MPC-BE. The problem with stutter was solely due to the GPU being pegged at 100%. I don't think a different player would change anything, this GPU is just not fast enough or doesn't have enough VRAM for what I want it to do.

post #414 of 3082 Old 07-01-2017, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Not sure I am in the right place, but I have a MadVR + jRiver using a gtx1080, intel core i5, etc.

As of now I have MadVR + jRiver running optimally on my HTPC. I rip blu-rays using MakMKV and MadVR does its thang scaling my lossless media to 4K. The picture is stunning and, on my 130" wide setup, rivals UHD HDR presentation. Everything on my my HTPC is set for 4K 23.976hz so as to reduce HDMI handshake time and resolution switching.

Now, wifey and I are wanting to do more 3D viewing. I am considering a Zappiti Mini 4K or a Dune HD Solo 4k for exclusive 3D ISO / MKV playback (MVC).

I attempted to use PowerDVD for this task, but I remember having to go into my display properties and force 3D mode (for the whole operating system) in order for 3D movies playback in 3D. Even after I did this, I would experience periodic black-flashing from the 3D glasses which is obviously very distracting.

These streamers don't look to bad and the new Zappiti seems like a winner (3D playback, UHD HDR playback) assuming I can store my media on the HTPC and stream content via the Zappiti.

Is anyone hear successfully switching between MadVR 4K and (non-scaled) 3D on the same HTPC?

JVC RS600 ¤ 130" Wide Seymour XD 2.35:1
Denon x4200 ¤ Onkyo M5010 ¤ iNuke 3000 ¤ 7.2.2
HTPC GTX1080 + MadVR is my master now ¤ Zidoo X8
post #415 of 3082 Old 07-03-2017, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Hi,

I got a new MSI Nvidia 1030 and still stutters on 4k mkv demo files, mp4 is fine.

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/Ge...#hero-overview

spec
Intel i7 3770K
G Skills 32GB 2400Mhz
1TB samsung 850 Pro
Seasonic PSU hybrid
display Asus PA328Q 4K monitor

I use MPC + MadVR it also does the same on VLC player.

Any pointers will be appreciated

Thanks

TV: Sony 65" A1E OLED Surround: Yamaha RXA3070 + Orbs Audio Mod 4/2 7.1.2 + SVS SB12-NSD Stereo: Yamaha AS500 + Kef Q300 Processor: DVDO Iscan Mini + Darbee 5000S Players: Oppo UDP-203 / Dune Solo 4K / Apple TV 4K / VU+ Ultimo 4K NAS: Qnap TVS-871 Pro i7 10GBE
post #416 of 3082 Old 07-03-2017, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi Guys,

I recently bought a 4K TV, and started looking at options to enjoy 4k content on my new screen when i stumbled across this thread about 4K HTPC for madVR. I started at page 1 and as I kept reading, I got more excited about using madVR to upscale my media content (mainly 720p and some 1080p) to 4K before outputting to my TV. I'm a total n00b when it comes to upscaling and madVR, so would like your advice before I decide on anything.

I'm currently using a 5 year old HTPC that is running off integrated graphics (max resolution 1920x1080) and outputting to my TV at 1080p (letting the TV upscale to 4K). So, if I want to use madVR to upscale the content to 4K before it reaches my TV, my 2 options would be to either buy a new GPU, or build a new HTPC from scratch.

Current specs are:

CPU: Intel i3-530
Cooling: Noctua NH-L12 (Using bottom fan only)
Mobo: Asus P7H55-M
Ram: Kingston 2x2GB DDR3-1333 value ram
SSD: Samsung 128GB 830 Series
PSU: Seasonic X-Series 400W Fanless
Case: Silverstone ML03B

I've done some research and it seems that the best performance GTX available that can fit into my case is the GTX 1050Ti. The GTX 1060 and above do not come in low profile sizes.

If I choose to install a new GPU, will my low end hardware (CPU, mobo, ram) bottleneck the GPU's maximum performance for madVR? Current mobo only supports PCIe 2.0 but the GPU is 3.0.

I understand that I won't be able to use 'very high' or 'high' settings with the GTX 1050Ti, only medium, but is there a huge quality difference between medium and high?

Alternatively, would you recommend that I build a brand new 4K HTPC? Which is the better option?
post #417 of 3082 Old 07-03-2017, 11:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

PCIe 2.0 could make problems but i can't test this properly. i guess it is fine but i can promise it for gaming it doesn't matter with such a card.

an old i3 is totally fine for a HTPC so yes a new GPU should be a enough.
a 1050 ti is maybe able to do NGU high. an 960 can do it and this card is not a lot faster.
post #418 of 3082 Old 07-04-2017, 12:06 AM

Madshi,

I found my problem, when I configure 4K display modes such as 2160p24, 2160p60 my HTPC try to change the resolution to 3840x2160 and I received black screen when playing movies.

I remember that display modes should be configure for playing "smooth" 23.976 in HTPC without dropped frames but I'm not sure that it's necessary now.

please let me know if it's necessary to set display modes.
also, how can I know that 4K movies are playing in 3840x2160 output and 1080P output.
post #419 of 3082 Old 07-04-2017, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn View Post
PCIe 2.0 could make problems but i can't test this properly. i guess it is fine but i can promise it for gaming it doesn't matter with such a card.

an old i3 is totally fine for a HTPC so yes a new GPU should be a enough.
a 1050 ti is maybe able to do NGU high. an 960 can do it and this card is not a lot faster.
Yup, I've googled it and no problems using a PCIe 3.0 GPU on a PCIe 2.0 mobo. Negligible performance hit as well which is good.

So I'm assuming that my best option is just to add a GPU card and forget about building a new HTPC?
post #420 of 3082 Old 07-11-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atopiques08 View Post
Yup, I've googled it and no problems using a PCIe 3.0 GPU on a PCIe 2.0 mobo. Negligible performance hit as well which is good.

So I'm assuming that my best option is just to add a GPU card and forget about building a new HTPC?
????
madshi, onkyoman , anyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
htpc build , madvr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page