Guide: Building a 4K HTPC for madVR - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 797Likes

post #631 of 3082 Old 01-16-2018, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked: 1405
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Trying to run your Epson batch file results in "The command "node" is either written incorrectly or could not be found".
Here the link to the "node.js" windows installer. Just install it and click on the batch manually, now it should open and look for an harmony hub with a certain IP. The windows stays open in your case because it can't find it.

https://nodejs.org/en/download/

Thanks a lot for your time.

And yes it is worth it to make it also work with this "node,js" programm because that way you can control with madvr the harmony hub (that most home-theater enthousiast have) and control every single piece of hardware through it (TV, projector, receiver, screen, light, etc...)

Last edited by Soulnight; 01-16-2018 at 02:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 3082 Old 01-16-2018, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 459 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked: 3040
The same reasoning still applies: If madVR can successfully start a batch file with notepad.exe in it, but your node batch fails, the error is very very very likely not in madVR, but in your batch file. Maybe it's being called with different parameters, different working directory, different environment, different %path%, different user, different whatever? E.g. try chaining 2 batch files like "start another.bat", that way you might actually see what your batch file is doing. As I said, madVR starts the command line in hidden state. So you probably don't really see what's going on. If you chain the batch files, you might be able to make the batch file execution visible to see why it's failing...
post #633 of 3082 Old 01-17-2018, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The same reasoning still applies: If madVR can successfully start a batch file with notepad.exe in it, but your node batch fails, the error is very very very likely not in madVR, but in your batch file. Maybe it's being called with different parameters, different working directory, different environment, different %path%, different user, different whatever? E.g. try chaining 2 batch files like "start another.bat", that way you might actually see what your batch file is doing. As I said, madVR starts the command line in hidden state. So you probably don't really see what's going on. If you chain the batch files, you might be able to make the batch file execution visible to see why it's failing...
It makes me crazy. I spent hours on it yesterday evening and this evening again trying a lot of different ways...

Again: the batch works perfectly fine if:
1) I am in windows and double click on it
2) I am in a movie in MPC-BE with Madvr and I change to another profile and come back to the "correct" profile where I wrote the path to the batch
3) I am in a movie, go in Madvr, change something in the activated profile and press apply, and then the batch gets suddenly activated.

Conclusion: Madvr+MPC-BE do something slightly different on movie startup compared to when the movie is already launched and profile get changed.

Could you look at the difference in the code between startup and profile change if they are any? If they are, could you somehow convert the "start-up code" in a "change profile code? Maybe you you do with that with dummy profiles loaded and then you change to the correct loaded profile?

Or maybe it comes from the difference between loading a profile through "madvr shortcut" or "Madvr profile rules"? Anything different between those 2 in the code?

Could you also provide us a version which runs the batch in a non hidden state? Maybe that plays a role as well, who knows...

And yes, we did all that, same name, same path as another simple patch for opening editor which does work on startup. Changed nothing.
Chaining up the batch also does not do the trick.

The only workaround I see right now is to create 2 times the same REC709 profile and 2 time the same HDR profile... and on startup, it will will go in REC709_2 profile where I will call a programm entering a keyboard shortcut to go to profile REC709_1... This should work but seems really stupid

Thanks again for your help and time.
Florian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #634 of 3082 Old 01-17-2018, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulnight View Post
Conclusion: Madvr+MPC-BE do something slightly different on movie startup compared to when the movie is already launched and profile get changed.

Could you look at the difference in the code between startup and profile change if they are any?
madVR runs through exactly the same code in both situations. There's only one code routine for this in madVR, not 2 copies of it, so by design there *cannot* be any difference in how madVR executes command lines. The only thing that madVR could do wrong here is that the code might simply not be called at all by mistake. But we already proved it does get called because starting a batch file with "start notepad.exe" in it works. madVR doesn't even look what's in the batch file, so it doesn't matter to madVR if you do "start notepad.exe" in the batch or whatever else. So if starting notepad works, but your other batch file doesn't, then there must be something wrong with your batch file. Maybe it doesn't like the working directory or environment (PATH etc) it gets started with? I don't know.

If you spent multiple hours on debugging this, you should be able to provide detailed information of what you tested and the exact test results. So? I'm listening! Or the final result of your hours of testing simply: "It doesn't work?". If so, you need to seriously improve your testing skills...

Just did a 2 minute test myself. Here are my test results:

1)

- Created "C:\test1.bat" with "start test2.bat" in it.
- Created "C:\test2.bat" with "pause" in it.
- Created profiles with auto select rules, told madVR to run "C:\test1.bat".

Test result: A Windows box appears with the complaint: "Couldn't find "test2.bat". blabla...". So obviously the working directory is not set to desktop, makes sense.

2)

- Modified "test1.bat" content to "start C:\test2.bat".

Test result: A non-hidden command line window appears, which reads "pause" and "press any key...". So this means, chaining batch files like this not only works, but it allows you to see what the batch file does, or whatever errors are reported by your batch file.

Now you could build on this test, and do things like:

3) Edit test2.bat to call "node" first, then "pause" afterwards. What does the command line window say then? Does "node" succeed? Does it fail? If it fails, does it report any useful error messages?
post #635 of 3082 Old 01-18-2018, 12:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

In the madVR thread one user reports success. But here another user has problems, too:

http://bugs.madshi.net/view.php?id=210

Edit: Javs has problems, too, but he confirmed it's definitely not madVR's fault:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post55520354

Last edited by madshi; 01-18-2018 at 02:57 AM.
post #636 of 3082 Old 01-18-2018, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In the madVR thread one user reports success. But here another user has problems, too:

http://bugs.madshi.net/view.php?id=210

Edit: Javs has problems, too, but he confirmed it's definitely not madVR's fault:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post55520354
Finally found the issue after chaining it to see in "clear" what was happening:

Starting a movie resulting in activation of a profile calling the batch resulted in a failure:

But changing to the profile WHILE the film is already running resulted (as previously said) in a success:

Here, please note that while starting the movie, the path changes to the movie folder and associated hardrive and the cd C:\blablabla does not work.
But while in the movie, we are back on C:\ drive in the batch folder and the cd C:\blablabla does now work

And so I concluded that I needed to add a:
C:
Before doing the cd C:\ because I need apparently at the start of the move to change drive.

And so now, even on start of the movie, it works!

Batch code to control our Epson prjector through harmony Hub is then:

Quote:
C:
cd C:\HarmonyHubCLI
node HarmonyHubCLI.js -l 192.168.178.48 -d Epson-Projektor -c Memory
node HarmonyHubCLI.js -l 192.168.178.48 -d Epson-Projektor -c Enter
node HarmonyHubCLI.js -l 192.168.178.48 -d Epson-Projektor -c DirectionDown
thank you Madshi for this awesome feature and the debugging support.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Change directory3.PNG
Views:	1061
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	2347652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Change directory2.PNG
Views:	1056
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	2347654   Click image for larger version

Name:	Change directory.PNG
Views:	1057
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	2347656  

Last edited by Soulnight; 01-18-2018 at 11:21 AM.
post #637 of 3082 Old 01-18-2018, 11:24 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1879 Post(s)
Liked: 2276
Quote:
Finally found the issue after chaining it to see in "clear" what was happening:

Batch code to control our Epson prjector through harmony Hub is then:

Code:
C:
cd C:\HarmonyHubCLI
node HarmonyHubCLI.js -l 192.168.178.48 -d Epson-Projektor -c Memory
node HarmonyHubCLI.js -l 192.168.178.48 -d Epson-Projektor -c DirectionDown
thank you Madshi for this awesome feature and the debugging support.
Would this alternative work?

Code:
node C:\HarmonyHubCLI\HarmonyHubCLI.js -l 192.168.178.48 -d Epson-Projektor -c Memory
node C:\HarmonyHubCLI\HarmonyHubCLI.js -l 192.168.178.48 -d Epson-Projektor -c Enter
node C:\HarmonyHubCLI\HarmonyHubCLI.js -l 192.168.178.48 -d Epson-Projektor -c DirectionDown
node C:\HarmonyHubCLI\HarmonyHubCLI.js -l 192.168.178.48 -d Epson-Projektor -c Enter
If so, it might be preferable to changing drives and directories.
post #638 of 3082 Old 01-18-2018, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And so I concluded that I needed to add a:
C:
Before doing the cd C:\ because I need apparently at the start of the move to change drive.
And now please re-read my post # 637 from 2 days ago, and you'll find that I had already suggested *exactly* that, because I already knew that "cd" alone isn't always sufficient, because it doesn't change the drive.
VideoGrabber and dwaleke like this.
post #639 of 3082 Old 01-18-2018, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And now please re-read my post # 637 from 2 days ago, and you'll find that I had already suggested *exactly* that, because I already knew that "cd" alone isn't always sufficient, because it doesn't change the drive.
True but I forgot at the time that there was a difference between:
1) C: followed cd C:\something
2) cd C:\something [alone]

And since in the simplified example I gave you, I had remove the cd C:\something all together to make things simpler, I just thought you were refering to that.
Plus, since it did work as a standalone and in madvr while changing profile, I couldn't see anything wrong with the cd C:\something.

Again, I thank you for the great new feature and for your support.
Florian
post #640 of 3082 Old 01-22-2018, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Hi guys, I would need some advice for upgrading parts of my PC and my main reason for upgrading is to playback my 4k blu-ray rips/remuxes for a problem free experience using MPC-HC + MadVR to my Sony projector.

As for the video card, i am thinking a Geforce GTX 1060 3Gb should do it. Any objections?

And for the motherboard, can i use any newer MB or will i need to use one with the Z370 chipset even if i have a separate video card?

Memory, will 8GB DDR4 be enough?

And lastly regarding choice of CPU, will an i3 8100 be enough or should i go for the i5 8400 instead? Will those 6 cores even come to use for my needs or will 4 cores be sufficient.
[email protected] likes this.

Sony VPL-VW550 + custom HDR gamma curves | DNP Supernova 08-85 116" 2.35:1 | Pioneer SC-LX89 | AppleTV 4K | Zidoo X20 | PS4 |
post #641 of 3082 Old 01-22-2018, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeApples View Post
As for the video card, i am thinking a Geforce GTX 1060 3Gb should do it. Any objections?
Generally, 3gb is marginal to unusable for 4k. When I play 4k it uses about 3.5 gb. I would recommend the GTX 1060 6gb or GTX 1070.

As long as you decode HEVC in the video card (which any of these will do), you shouldn't need a lot of CPU power.
BakeApples likes this.

Last edited by jmonier; 01-22-2018 at 06:26 AM.
post #642 of 3082 Old 01-22-2018, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Agree with jmonier. And mainboard, CPU speed and DDR4 RAM size don't matter much. Just make sure it's PCIe 3.0 (for "DXVA Copyback" speed).
BakeApples likes this.
post #643 of 3082 Old 01-22-2018, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 76
hi madchi,

would a 2gb nvidia 1030 card be good enough for madvr (at near max video quality) to be able to down convert 4k video files (HEVC & mp4 ) to 1080p RGB 4.4.4 ? (60 fps would be a bonus)

i have no need to output 4k video from my HTPC , but want to output the highest possible 1080 video from 4k (down-converted to 2k) and 2k video files from my pc to my display (which can accept RGB 4.4.4 with HDMI 1.4). i assume the down-converting of 4k to 2k would be the most demanding files for madvr ?

current pc system: win7 64 bit, haswell i7 cpu, 32 gb ram, pci-e 3 slot on mb for gfx card (currently using an amd 5770 2 gb),
note : also am hoping not to need to upgrade to win 8.1 (64 bit ) for my 1080p video purposes, and i am currently considering a MSI 2gb 1030 card (fan-less) as a low cost upgrade in gfx card, and not needing to gp tp a 1050 Ti 4gb (higher noise, higher cost, higher heat, and higher watt power use for daily HTPC use)

Last edited by Jorgens; 01-22-2018 at 12:45 PM.
post #644 of 3082 Old 01-22-2018, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I suppose your display probably can't do HDR, but you want to be able to play HDR files, right? Highest quality HDR to SDR conversion costs quite a bit of performance. And 60p support consumes 2.5x as much performance a 24p, so your GPU needs to be 2.5x as fast for 60p compared to 24p. Finally, decoding is also a problem. Current CPUs can't decode 4K HEVC smoothly, so your GPU will need to do that. You can use DXVA Native decoding, which works reasonably fine in Windows 7, but in the long run D3D11 decoding would be slightly better, which requires Windows 8.1 or 10. IMHO Windows 8.1 is currently the best media playback OS, so my recommendation would be to upgrade to Windows 8.1, even if it's not strictly needed. But that's just my personal recommendation.

To sum up: You might be able to get along with a 1030 and Windows 7, but you'll have to accept some compromises, and I'm not sure it will work for 60p. I don't have a 1030 so I can't test it. For near max quality I'd recommend Windows 8.1 or 10, and a reasonable fast 4GB+ GPU, probably 1050 or faster. Many madVR users are opting for 1060 with 6GB. But I don't know for sure if it's really needed for your specific purposes. Could be that a 1050 non-TI would suffice. With some compromises even a 1030. But in the end, I can't really say for sure because I only have a 1070, and that is of course plenty fast enough for everything.
post #645 of 3082 Old 01-22-2018, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 76
madshi,

thank you for your quick reply

correct, i can only use SDR for my display (but is capable of 360 nits), but am experimenting with some HDR to SDR 1080p 10bit files (such as those found here
https://isovideo.com/HDR_to_SDR_Tone...d_Examples.php
several other video files on that website are good samples for htpc stress testing i found

do you have any comment on possible using the microsoft surface tablets (pro version 3 or 4) as a HTPC device with madvr, or some of the more recent low-power micro pc devices like https://www.msi.com/Desktop/Cubi-2-Plus.html .
i suspect , since they dont have modern medium power GPU's (as suggested by you in this thread, rather then relying on CPU power ) , their claims of CPU decoding of 4k and 2k HEVC video for HTPC purposes are not very realistic ?
post #646 of 3082 Old 01-22-2018, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't know. For madVR you need a decent GPU. If those devices don't have one, they won't work well with madVR.
post #647 of 3082 Old 01-22-2018, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I don't know. For madVR you need a decent GPU. If those devices don't have one, they won't work well with madVR.
Do you think that running, Haswell Intel Core i7 4790K, GTX 1080i, Windows 10 Prof 64-bit with 32 gigs of ram I could watch ripped 4K UHD videos with out a problem with madvr?
I will NOT be gaming or be doing any transcoding or ripping of any kind. I just want to watch the finest 4K videos on my 4K TV.
post #648 of 3082 Old 01-22-2018, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Without a doubt.

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1903 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D / Denon S720W
post #649 of 3082 Old 01-23-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
Without a doubt.
I forgot to ask, can I use Windows 7 x64 instead of Windows 10 for UHD playback only? I really hate Win 10.
post #650 of 3082 Old 01-23-2018, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think so, but I'd really recommend Windows 8.1. If you add Classic Shell (start menu), it works really nicely. It has a better kernel than Windows 7, better D3D11 support and better desktop composition. So Windows 8.1 is really a good improvement over Windows 7 for use as an HTPC. Not too happy with Windows 10, though.
post #651 of 3082 Old 01-23-2018, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer1977 View Post
I forgot to ask, can I use Windows 7 x64 instead of Windows 10 for UHD playback only? I really hate Win 10.
It's possible but Windows 10 with the new Nvidia drivers are working well currently. Maybe you could dual boot with a Windows 10 option just for the HPTC side of things.

LG 65C7
Denon AVR-X3300W
Q Acoustics 3020 fronts, 3090 center, 3010 surrounds
SVS PB-1000
Samsung K8500
post #652 of 3082 Old 01-23-2018, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:
That's would be quite the stretch there trying to get a Windows 7 OS to cope with UHD playback. You've got a nice list of current hardware there which seems a bit of a shame/disservice to new hardware to run it on an outdated OS version. Incidentally, is that a 1080ti or 1080 you're referring to as there isn't a 1080i. You mention Windows 10 in ref to that system anyway so my rec would just go with it, particular if you want to watch HDR content at any stage. Personally, I run several Windows 10 systems around the place without much fuss (2 HTPC's along with 3 other PC's and 3 laptops).
post #653 of 3082 Old 01-24-2018, 12:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

HDR works just fine on Windows 8.1. Probably also on Windows 7, although I haven't tested that.
post #654 of 3082 Old 01-24-2018, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
That's would be quite the stretch there trying to get a Windows 7 OS to cope with UHD playback. You've got a nice list of current hardware there which seems a bit of a shame/disservice to new hardware to run it on an outdated OS version. Incidentally, is that a 1080ti or 1080 you're referring to as there isn't a 1080i. You mention Windows 10 in ref to that system anyway so my rec would just go with it, particular if you want to watch HDR content at any stage. Personally, I run several Windows 10 systems around the place without much fuss (2 HTPC's along with 3 other PC's and 3 laptops).
It's an Ti. I don't have it yet. I'm swapping out a 960 with 2Gigs for that. When I try to set my TV resolution to anything higher than 1920x1200
I get a black screen. I imagine that might be because of the 960. When playing back UHD 4K content however, it seems play and display without any issues or stuttering
even using madvr with default settings. That's why I asked about continuing to use Win7. Win 10 is a privacy nightmare unless you lock it down
pretty tight.

Last edited by Lucifer1977; 01-24-2018 at 06:32 AM.
post #655 of 3082 Old 01-24-2018, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 71
A bit OT here, but can MPC-HC+MadVR "zoom" 4k "slot vision" movies so that the ends of the slot are cropped and the vertical part of the movie either fills or comes closer to the top and bottom of the screen and, if so, does doing this repuire higher-horsepower video cards? (I know that this can be done to 1080p movies using some number keys while the movie is playing, but I am uncertain if this can be done to 4K movies.)

Thanks.
post #656 of 3082 Old 01-24-2018, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
It's an Ti. I don't have it yet. I'm swapping out a 960 with 2Gigs for that. When I try to set my TV resolution to anything higher than 1920x1200
I get a black screen. I imagine that might be because of the 960. When playing back UHD 4K content however, it seems play and display without any issues or stuttering
even using madvr with default settings. That's why I asked about continuing to use Win7. Win 10 is a privacy nightmare unless you lock it down
pretty tight.
A 1080ti would be really nice. I've only got a 1070 at the moment in my HTPC. My only 1080 is in my gaming rig. I'll probably hand it over to the HTPC when I upgrade that next as I can't justify leapfrogging the PC for the HTPC.
I'm surprised you'd get issues with the 960 like that. I used 980's without issues with TVs and projectors before getting a 1070. Also have a 760 in a tiny gigabyte brix and it has driven 4K TVs with no issue from when I first got it a couple of years ago. I don't subscribe to the privacy nightmare thing on Windows 10, I've done all the privacy stuff on all my installs like the keylogger situ and the other issues. Wasn't a huge hassle.
post #657 of 3082 Old 01-24-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
A 1080ti would be really nice. I've only got a 1070 at the moment in my HTPC. My only 1080 is in my gaming rig. I'll probably hand it over to the HTPC when I upgrade that next as I can't justify leapfrogging the PC for the HTPC.
I'm surprised you'd get issues with the 960 like that. I used 980's without issues with TVs and projectors before getting a 1070. Also have a 760 in a tiny gigabyte brix and it has driven 4K TVs with no issue from when I first got it a couple of years ago. I don't subscribe to the privacy nightmare thing on Windows 10, I've done all the privacy stuff on all my installs like the keylogger situ and the other issues. Wasn't a huge hassle.
Can you set your resolution to anything higher than 1920x1200 with your cards?
post #658 of 3082 Old 01-24-2018, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Can you set your resolution to anything higher than 1920x1200 with your cards?
Yeah as per what I said, I ran/still run 980's at 4K as well as that little 760. All run desktop and video no probs on TVs or projectors.
post #659 of 3082 Old 01-24-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Yeah as per what I said, I ran/still run 980's at 4K as well as that little 760. All run desktop and video no probs on TVs or projectors.
Are you on Windows 10?
post #660 of 3082 Old 01-24-2018, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Are you on Windows 10?
Yes as stated in first post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
htpc build , madvr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page