Guide: Building a 4K HTPC for madVR - Page 31 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 734Likes

post #901 of 2877 Old 04-20-2018, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkyoman View Post
Tell us your experiences with AnyDVD (HD) vs. DVDFab Passkey. I think you should be able to get a trial version of each one. I am curious which one has better disc support.
Will do! I have working Slysoft version of AnyDVD HD, which works well for my BDs needs. I'll see if I need to use Redfox for UHD or not. If so, I'll probably go with DVDFab since I already paid for lifetime AnyDVD and don't like paying twice for something on principle. It'll be at least a week before I get the 1080 card, install it, and test.

The 1080 was about $250 more than a 1060, but it's more powerful and has 2GB more. I won't have to second guess my decision if I couldn't have gotten the most out of MadVR and HDR tone mapping. It's one of the main reasons I decided to upgrade the HTPC.
sonichart, SuperFist and Javs like this.

...Steve
"Opinions are like orgasms… mine matters most and I really don’t care if you have one or not." ;)

My HT gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 2877 Old 04-20-2018, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post
Will do! I have working Slysoft version of AnyDVD HD, which works well for my BDs needs. I'll see if I need to use Redfox for UHD or not. If so, I'll probably go with DVDFab since I already paid for lifetime AnyDVD and don't like paying twice for something on principle. It'll be at least a week before I get the 1080 card, install it, and test.

The 1080 was about $250 more than a 1060, but it's more powerful and has 2GB more. I won't have to second guess my decision if I couldn't have gotten the most out of MadVR and HDR tone mapping. It's one of the main reasons I decided to upgrade the HTPC.
AnyDVD seems to work best for me.
gsr, stevenjw and SuperFist like this.
post #903 of 2877 Old 04-20-2018, 11:22 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked: 2241
Quote:
I'm rather surprised you haven't encountered any BDs that the old Slysoft version of AnyDVD HD won't handle, as there should be quite a few by now.

The Slysoft version of AnyDVD HD will not work for UHD. Keep in mind that the BDA and various governments (probably primarily the US) forced the shutdown of Slysoft. While I appreciate your aggravation over essentially having to pay twice for a lifetime license, I felt as though I got plenty of value out of my original Slysoft license and have always felt that AnyDVD HD is superior to the DVDFab equivalent, so I bought a new lifetime license for the new Redfox version. The DVDFab guys vowed to not to work on solutions for breaking UHD protection (my understanding was that this was in exchange for not receiving the same treatment Slysoft got), yet they seem to have gone back on their word.
stevenjw and SuperFist like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #904 of 2877 Old 04-20-2018, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 269
I guess I am glad my RX580 4GB card was backordered on Amazon. I just read an article that apparently the 500 series cards have 2.0 HDMI version. So they cannot output HDR thru the HDMI port... Only the display port does HDR. Dunno how I missed that.

Anyone else know that ?

Nvidia is in my future.

-T
post #905 of 2877 Old 04-20-2018, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
I guess I am glad my RX580 4GB card was backordered on Amazon. I just read an article that apparently the 500 series cards have 2.0 HDMI version. So they cannot output HDR thru the HDMI port... Only the display port does HDR. Dunno how I missed that.

Anyone else know that ?

Nvidia is in my future.

-T
I'm no expert, but I thought that the RX580 was Polaris and supports HDR. I have no idea why you think HDMI 2.0 isn't good enough for UHD 4K HDR. HDMI 2.1 final spec was just released, but don't think there are any cards yet and no idea what current commercial source needs it.

...Steve
"Opinions are like orgasms… mine matters most and I really don’t care if you have one or not." ;)

My HT gear
post #906 of 2877 Old 04-20-2018, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

Anyone else know that ?

Nvidia is in my future.

-T
I'm no expert, but I thought that the RX580 was Polaris and supports HDR. I have no idea why you think HDMI 2.0 isn't good enough for UHD 4K HDR. HDMI 2.1 final spec was just released, but don't think there are any cards yet and no idea what current commercial source needs it.
Here is a link for a reference, but no need to click it. I will paraphrase.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/55012...ion/index.html

The 500 series have HDMI 2.0. it will not pass the HDR metadata. It needs HDMI 2.0a or higher.

-T

Edit.
I would have to buy a display port to HDMI adapter cable that is rated at 18 Gbps... So there is a way... Just not thru hdmi.

Last edited by T-Bone; 04-20-2018 at 06:16 PM.
post #907 of 2877 Old 04-20-2018, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 415
AMD polaris cards can send HDR meta data.

HDMI 2.0, 2.0 or 2.0b are meaningless for GPU all they have to do is create the 0 and 1 (and they are very good at this) that are send over HDMI. if C ever comes around you can blindly assume that a new GPU driver will support the new "features".
post #908 of 2877 Old 04-20-2018, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The 500 series have HDMI 2.0. it will not pass the HDR metadata. It needs HDMI 2.0a or higher.

-T

Edit.
I would have to buy a display port to HDMI adapter cable that is rated at 18 Gbps... So there is a way... Just not thru hdmi.
Are you sure that you can't set it to YCbCr 4K/60 @ 4:2:2 to get 10 bpc over HDMI or 4:2:0 for 12?

...Steve

My HT gear
post #909 of 2877 Old 04-20-2018, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

i had an RX 480 and they can send UHD 60 FPS RGB tha the maximum HDMI can send and this has not changed with version a or b the data cap is still the same.
post #910 of 2877 Old 04-21-2018, 01:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

-T

Edit.
Are you sure that you can't set it to YCbCr 4K/60 @ 4:2:2 to get 10 bpc over HDMI or 4:2:0 for 12?
Looks like I mes-read the article. After rereading it, looks like they we're talking about 4k60 4:4:4: 10-bit that is outside the HDMI spec.

Sorry... False alarm.

-T
stevenjw likes this.
post #911 of 2877 Old 04-21-2018, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked: 411
OK, I'm going to cheat a little bit and skip the 900+ posts to ask a simple question. I want to be able to play 4K UHD Blu-Ray rips on my 4K HDTV from my server. I had been using an Nvidia Shield for that, but I'm not as happy with the video output. It has too much of a TV soap opera look to it and I've never been able to get any settings that give the look I want. I have a Win 7 HTPC that I use for DVR purposes and I don't want to lose WMC by installing Windows 10. I need to be able to record DRM channels. I currently have an Nvidia GTX 1060 graphics card in the HTPC. I had been using MPC-BE for playback of UHD BD rips, but I don't get HDR functionality with Win 7. It was also annoying because I kept having to go in and change the settings in Shark007 every time I wanted to switch between watching a 4K movie and watching a recorded TV program.

I'm thinking of setting up a separate HTPC to use strictly for playing the 4K rips. I can use the 1060 card in that HTPC with Windows 10 installed. My questions are as follows:

1. What is a recommended motherboard and CPU combination to use for this setup? I am thinking of possibly going with a min-iTX setup if possible since I won't need any other hardware installed except for the graphics card and an SSD for the OS.

2. What playback software is best for playing UHD rips? I'm thinking maybe using Kodi with the DSP Player, but I'm open to suggestions. I recently purchased a copy of JRiver Media Center and the license is good for version 24 which is supposed to support 4K playback. I found that JRMC does not play well with WMC so I'll probably end up setting it up on this HTPC and turn it into a multi-purpose media server. If it works well with UHD BD rips then so much the better.

3. Can anyone recommend a good mini-iTX case that will house a GTX 1060 card? I'd like to keep it as a low profile case, but I'm not sure if that's even possible unless there's some kind of right-angle PCI-e x16 header adapter that will allow for this type of installation.
post #912 of 2877 Old 04-21-2018, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Why not just dual boot the HTPC you have using W10 and W7? DSPlayer is a fork of KODI. It will play UHD but main movie only. Its original developer abandoned it long ago but another has been maintaining it enough to keep it forked to new KODI versions. Whether or not that will continue going into the newest upcoming version of KODI 18 is unknown. DVDFab player will handle your UHD rips and give you full menus. No special hardware is required and the picture looks very good. It can be seamlessly added to any version of KODI especially official builds. I use this for full UHD menu interaction. So can PowerDVD which also handles full menu UHD rips but requires special hardware. I use this for 3D full menu interaction negating special hardware requirements. Each of these are usually available on eBay selling very inexpensive. Lastly there are MPC-HC (no longer under development) and MPC-BE popular with other components such as madVR and other similar compatible players. These too can be added seamlessly to the KODI front end allowing playback of anything but without menus. Higher quality video is produced on some titles. I use these players when quality over functionality is desired. It also takes some patience and direction following skills to set it all up just right. Your 1060 is more than enough to accomplish using any or all of these players together launched from KODI. I can't speak for JRiver. I don't own it. Perhaps this could meet all your needs after dual booting and not interfere with your WMC?

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1903 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D / Denon S720W
post #913 of 2877 Old 04-21-2018, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 224
I'm considering building an HTPC for movies and music only.
At the moment i have an Optoma HD87 (similar to Optoma HD 8600), and i intend to update it next year to an JVC RS500/RS600.

As such, the idea would be to start with a minimum HTPC that can handle my requirements until then.
All content is stored in a NAS and accessible through a gigabit network, and its mostly composed of 1080P blu-rays 1:1.

The plan would be to start with this minimal build, and upgrade to a future GTX 2050/60, to be able to handle all the requirements for a 4K madVR experience.

I followed the considerations of this topic, in order to choose the best value/priced components that wouldn't compromise a future upgrade.

The main components for this build are:
CPU/GPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G - 135€ here.
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-AB350M-GAMING 3 - 70€ here.
RAM: Ballistix Sport LT 1x8GB DDR4, 2666 MT/s - 87€ here.
Disk: Transcend 64 GB M.2 SATA III SSD Type 2260 - 50€ here.
Power Supply: Seasonic S12II 520W - 56€ here.
Case: SilverStone SST-GD09B - 80€ here.

A total of 478€ for the core components.

System builder details here.

@Onkyoman , could you please have a look at this to check if i'm missing any thing?
post #914 of 2877 Old 04-21-2018, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_2009 View Post
At the moment i have an Optoma HD87 (similar to Optoma HD 8600), and i intend to update it next year to an JVC RS500/RS600.

As such, the idea would be to start with a minimum HTPC that can handle my requirements until then.
All content is stored in a NAS and accessible through a gigabit network, and its mostly composed of 1080P blu-rays 1:1.

The plan would be to start with this minimal build, and upgrade to a future GTX 2050/60, to be able to handle all the requirements for a 4K madVR experience.

I followed the considerations of this topic, in order to choose the best value/priced components that wouldn't compromise a future upgrade.

@Onkyoman , could you please have a look at this to check if i'm missing any thing?
Someone else would have to comment on the quality of the components, as I'm not an expert there.

PCPartPicker has given a compatibility warning for your motherboard. It says you may need another CPU to update the BIOS before using the new CPU. I have no idea if that's true, but it would concern me.

Your power draw in the top right is 150W without a GPU, so 520W may be overkill. The price is not bad and the reviews say the power supply is quiet, so I don't know.

Your SSD is maybe a little bit small. You should plan how much storage you will be using. You are below what I recommended as a minimum hard drive size.

The case has no easy cable management. If you are building a PC yourself for the first time, this could be annoying. If someone else is building it, no problem. The case is large and should have good cooling, though.

Some of your vendors are in Canada. You won't be able to get any of that over the border.
neo_2009 likes this.
post #915 of 2877 Old 04-21-2018, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

@captain_video ,

madshi said HDR passthrough is supported for Windows 7. You don't need to toggle the OS Advanced Color switch in Windows. So this should work with MPC-BE or MPC-HC. Again, you shouldn't be using codec packs. Download and update each component from its original website. Maybe the codec version of MPC-BE is the problem? Try MPC-HC instead. It has LAV Filters built-in. Maybe HDR passthrough in Windows 7 wasn't tested by madshi, just assumed to work?

If that doesn't work, dual-booting doesn't sound like a bad idea.

As far as hardware recommendations go, read the first post and report back here if you have any questions...

DSPlayer is excellent if you don't have any ISOs in your collection. Having the integrated media player in a front-end like Kodi is a big bonus. I have more than a dozen video addons on my system and all of them can be played through the media player and enhanced by madVR. It is really nice to have madVR when watching compressed video streams.

Last edited by Onkyoman; 04-21-2018 at 12:58 PM.
post #916 of 2877 Old 04-21-2018, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
PCPartPicker has given a compatibility warning for your motherboard. It says you may need another CPU to update the BIOS before using the new CPU. I have no idea if that's true, but it would concern me.
I think it has to do with the fact that the Ryzen 2 platform is very new, and all the current boards should need a BIOS upgrade.

Quote:
Your power draw in the top right is 150W without a GPU, so 520W may be overkill. The price is not bad and the reviews say the power supply is quiet, so I don't know.
The price difference for the 430W version is minimal

Quote:
Your SSD is maybe a little bit small. You should plan how much storage you will be using. You are below what I recommended as a minimum hard drive size.
I don't understand the need for the suggested 80GB. Besides the SO and the Media Center APP, antivirus and a few apps, is there anything else that is required?
I also assume that all unwanted applications would be uninstalled, as well as all unwanted services deactivated.

Quote:
The case has no easy cable management. If you are building a PC yourself for the first time, this could be annoying. If someone else is building it, no problem.
It would be the first time, but i will probably have some help. I like the case because its horizontal. I have restricted height, but much horizontal space.
Is there any ATX case that would allow me to place it horizontal that would be cheaper and would enable an easy build?

My only question on the performance of this build would be when downscaling 4K HDR 1:1 movies to 1080P SDR.
May i assume that if using minimal madVR features, it would be able to provide a smoothness playback?
post #917 of 2877 Old 04-21-2018, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think it has to do with the fact that the Ryzen 2 platform is very new, and all the current boards should need a BIOS upgrade.
You might need another CPU just to get the CPU to boot. I would do some more research, but you can take your chances. And PCPartPicker could be wrong.

Quote:
I don't understand the need for the suggested 80GB. Besides the SO and the Media Center APP, antivirus and a few apps, is there anything else that is required?
I also assume that all unwanted applications would be uninstalled, as well as all unwanted services deactivated.
Windows 10 recommends 20GB of space for the operating system. That leaves you 44GB for everything else. On the PC I'm using, I have 465GB of usable space out of a 500GB hard drive.

Quote:
It would be the first time, but i will probably have some help. I like the case because its horizontal. I have restricted height, but much horizontal space.
Is there any ATX case that would allow me to place it horizontal that would be cheaper and would enable an easy build?
There are many cases out there. I don't know of any ATX cases off hand that can be laid horizontal.

Quote:
My only question on the performance of this build would be when downscaling 4K HDR 1:1 movies to 1080P SDR.
May i assume that if using minimal madVR features, it would be able to provide a smoothness playback?
Based on what I've heard from an RX 560 user, I am certain you will have to use DXVA2 downscaling for 4K -> 1080p. I hope that leaves room for HDR -> SDR tone mapping.
neo_2009 likes this.
post #918 of 2877 Old 04-21-2018, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Hoping someone can point me in the right direction here.

I just did a reinstall of jRiver + MadVR. I use this combo to scale 1080p ->2160p60 and, eventually, 2160p24 to 2160p60 HDR->SDR

However, after reinstalling, everything is being scaled to 4320p or in that ballpark. It's doubling 2160p to 4320p and quadrupling 1080p to 4320 ...

I'm just not seeing how to prevent this from happening. Can anyone help a brother out?

JVC RS600 ¤ 130" Wide Seymour XD 2.35:1
Denon x4200 ¤ Onkyo M5010 ¤ iNuke 3000 ¤ 7.2.2
HTPC GTX1080 + MadVR is my master now ¤ Zidoo X8
post #919 of 2877 Old 04-21-2018, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

under image scaling did you select always super sample?
post #920 of 2877 Old 04-22-2018, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn View Post
under image scaling did you select always super sample?
This was truly strange. Well, I got the issue resolved but I also noticed a few more things..

1. Exclusive Mode was NOT engaging, ever.
2. I couldn't get any audio via Bitsream and most of media wouldn't open.

I remembered that when I installed my NVIDIA driver I basically deselected all the extra stuff (PhysX, GeForce Experience, etc.) I also previously didn't install HD Audio Driver and thought that might be important to fixing the audio error I got.

So I don't know if it was the HD Audio Driver or simply reinstalling my NVIDIA driver, but after that, everything worked and scaled as it should.

Boy just when you think you have everything figured out!!! Thanks for the reply!

post #921 of 2877 Old 04-22-2018, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@captain_video ,

madshi said HDR passthrough is supported for Windows 7. You don't need to toggle the OS Advanced Color switch in Windows. So this should work with MPC-BE or MPC-HC. Again, you shouldn't be using codec packs. Download and update each component from its original website. Maybe the codec version of MPC-BE is the problem? Try MPC-HC instead. It has LAV Filters built-in. Maybe HDR passthrough in Windows 7 wasn't tested by madshi, just assumed to work?
I guess I have some more reading to do on the subject. Just gotta find the time to do that. MPC-BE is configured with madVR built-in and works with Shark007. You just go into the Shark007 settings and select the proper filters for 4K playback. I have never had any issues using Shark007 and I can't recall ever hearing of anyone else having problems with it either. It's by far the most stable codec pack out there. The author is constantly updating it with the latest codecs to keep everything current.

Quote:
If that doesn't work, dual-booting doesn't sound like a bad idea.
Dual booting won't work for me. I do most of my TV viewing in prime time and also most of my recording during those hours. I'd need WMC running to do my recording, which means I wouldn't be able to run Windows 10 at the same time on the same PC.

Quote:
As far as hardware recommendations go, read the first post and report back here if you have any questions...
That was the first place I looked. Problem is, this thread was started over two years ago so I assume most of what was posted there is already out of date, not to mention very generic. I was hoping for some recommendations based on personal use.

Quote:
DSPlayer is excellent if you don't have any ISOs in your collection. Having the integrated media player in a front-end like Kodi is a big bonus. I have more than a dozen video addons on my system and all of them can be played through the media player and enhanced by madVR. It is really nice to have madVR when watching compressed video streams.
I convert everything to mkvs. No isos anymore. I used to use PowerDVD and one or two other commercial playback apps for isos years ago, but the results were always a mixed bag with lots of stuttering and freeze-ups. I tried using MakeMKV and Kodi and never had a single problem. I will never go back to using isos again.
post #922 of 2877 Old 04-22-2018, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:

Have a look towards the end of my thread
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-hom...-thread-2.html
neo_2009 likes this.
post #923 of 2877 Old 04-22-2018, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

A quick question I just realized this morning as I was thinking of the Sony Camp 4K 60p 10 bit HDR sample.

HDMI spec will not allow 4:4:4 for this sample... So what are you doing for chroma upscaling?

Are you letting madVR upscale chroma to 4:4:4 but setting your graphics card to output 4:2:2?

Or some other option I am missing?

Thanks...

-T
post #924 of 2877 Old 04-22-2018, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
I guess I have some more reading to do on the subject. Just gotta find the time to do that. MPC-BE is configured with madVR built-in and works with Shark007. You just go into the Shark007 settings and select the proper filters for 4K playback. I have never had any issues using Shark007 and I can't recall ever hearing of anyone else having problems with it either. It's by far the most stable codec pack out there. The author is constantly updating it with the latest codecs to keep everything current.
If you select passthrough HDR metadata to the display and send metadata to the display in devices -> HDR, madVR should do the work for you. I wonder if the problem is your codec pack or Windows 7 wasn't fully tested. I would try MPC-HC to make certain.

Quote:
That was the first place I looked. Problem is, this thread was started over two years ago so I assume most of what was posted there is already out of date, not to mention very generic. I was hoping for some recommendations based on personal use.
The post on page one is up-to-date. It hard to not be too generic. There is no specific CPU or motherboard that works well for a HTPC. There is no one brand of SSD to recommend, etc. There are thousands of parts that would do the job. Building a PC is pretty generic. You just don't need to overdo it. The only truly important part is the graphics card. That is covered in post one as well.
post #925 of 2877 Old 04-22-2018, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
A quick question I just realized this morning as I was thinking of the Sony Camp 4K 60p 10 bit HDR sample.

HDMI spec will not allow 4:4:4 for this sample... So what are you doing for chroma upscaling?

Are you letting madVR upscale chroma to 4:4:4 but setting your graphics card to output 4:2:2?

Thanks...

-T
I would set madVR to 8-bits RGB with dithering to keep it a full range signal. The bit depth won't matter much. It is just a demo, so there isn't much to worry about with typical UHD content.
post #926 of 2877 Old 04-22-2018, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks...

-T
Quote:
I would set madVR to 8-bits RGB with dithering to keep it a full range signal. The bit depth won't matter much. It is just a demo, so there isn't much to worry about with typical UHD content.
I convert everything to 60hz + smooth motion because I think the PQ and motion look outstanding this way. However, I ran into a similar situation with 2160p60 source material.

In order to get my render times below 16ms, I changed chromas upscaling to NGU Low and disabled Smooth Motion. This gets me to render times of about 13ms with a GTX1080 gpu.

I also have MadVR set to 8bits as my GPU is locked in to 2160p59 Full 4:4:4 8-bit. PQ is excellent.

post #927 of 2877 Old 04-22-2018, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

@neo_2009 ,

The link provided will probably just confuse you. You chose the same case as the builder in that thread.

The summary of what they are saying is you should find a case with a 120mm fan as opposed to an 80mm fan because it will be quieter and provide better airflow. The SILVERSTONE GD09 has space for four 120mm fans and comes with one 120mm fan already installed. This is the intake fan on the side of case. The exhaust port at the back has room for two 80mm fans, but this should be unnecessary. The poster mentions the use of a power supply with a 120mm fan to exhaust the air created by the CPU, GPU and intake fan and blow it out the back of the case. You already have that covered with the chosen PSU, which has a 120mm fan.

You may consider adding one more intake fan to the side of the case. This would have to be purchased and installed separately. Another option is the GD10, which comes with two intake fans already installed. The more fans you add, the louder the PC but the better the airflow. So, the less fans, the better. I don't really know about a CPU cooler. Once you get your GPU, it shouldn't be necessary. But, until then, the iGPU may get hot. I'm not sure.

The case is said to fit ATX motherboards, so you should have options when it comes to motherboards. There is a review here if you are interested.

Another thing, you may want to swap your DDR4-2400 Memory for DDR4-3200 to have the fastest RAM possible. It is likely a very minor thing, though. You are relying on an iGPU with no onboard VRAM so having the fastest RAM possible is advisable. And RAM is generally cheap. You could always add more RAM if necessary once everything is put together to have a faster dual-channel set-up. This should only be an issue when using the iGPU, not a dedicated GPU with adequate onboard VRAM.

Lastly, I've never heard of Transcend SSDs before. SSDs don't have moving parts, so I wouldn't be that worried, but buying something from Samsung, Crucial, WD, Kingston, etc. may be advisable.
neo_2009 likes this.
post #928 of 2877 Old 04-22-2018, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

@Onkyoman , thank you very much for having the time to look at my initial proposal, and address the issues with it.

I will probably postpone this project until the end of the year, i'm completing a DIY Active TPL-150 + TD12M, so its probably better to focus in one project at a time.
I will continue to follow this thread with much interest.
Thank you once again.
post #929 of 2877 Old 04-22-2018, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
OK, I'm going to cheat a little bit and skip the 900+ posts to ask a simple question. I want to be able to play 4K UHD Blu-Ray rips on my 4K HDTV from my server. I had been using an Nvidia Shield for that, but I'm not as happy with the video output. It has too much of a TV soap opera look to it and I've never been able to get any settings that give the look I want. I have a Win 7 HTPC that I use for DVR purposes and I don't want to lose WMC by installing Windows 10. I need to be able to record DRM channels. I currently have an Nvidia GTX 1060 graphics card in the HTPC. I had been using MPC-BE for playback of UHD BD rips, but I don't get HDR functionality with Win 7. It was also annoying because I kept having to go in and change the settings in Shark007 every time I wanted to switch between watching a 4K movie and watching a recorded TV program.

I'm thinking of setting up a separate HTPC to use strictly for playing the 4K rips. I can use the 1060 card in that HTPC with Windows 10 installed. My questions are as follows:

1. What is a recommended motherboard and CPU combination to use for this setup? I am thinking of possibly going with a min-iTX setup if possible since I won't need any other hardware installed except for the graphics card and an SSD for the OS.

2. What playback software is best for playing UHD rips? I'm thinking maybe using Kodi with the DSP Player, but I'm open to suggestions. I recently purchased a copy of JRiver Media Center and the license is good for version 24 which is supposed to support 4K playback. I found that JRMC does not play well with WMC so I'll probably end up setting it up on this HTPC and turn it into a multi-purpose media server. If it works well with UHD BD rips then so much the better.

3. Can anyone recommend a good mini-iTX case that will house a GTX 1060 card? I'd like to keep it as a low profile case, but I'm not sure if that's even possible unless there's some kind of right-angle PCI-e x16 header adapter that will allow for this type of installation.
I have win7, i5, GTX1060 6G, potplayer w/lav & madVR and play UHD HDR ATMOS rips on a 4K LG OLED without issue. I don't use any shark007 stuff, maybe that's you problem. I also use wmc for recording DRM so stayed w/ win 7. You don't need win10 to play 4k HDR rips, win7 will work.
post #930 of 2877 Old 04-22-2018, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glader60 View Post
I have win7, i5, GTX1060 6G, potplayer w/lav & madVR and play UHD HDR ATMOS rips on a 4K LG OLED without issue. I don't use any shark007 stuff, maybe that's you problem. I also use wmc for recording DRM so stayed w/ win 7. You don't need win10 to play 4k HDR rips, win7 will work.
OK. Maybe I'll try removing the Shark007 codecs and try setting it up on the same HTPC. I already know the HTPC will play 4k rips, but I'm not sure if will support HDR. I forget why I ever felt the need to use Shark007 in the first place, but it was probably to support playback of certain types of video files.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
htpc build , madvr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page