Guide: Building a 4K HTPC for madVR - Page 39 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1046Likes

post #1141 of 4218 Old 08-15-2018, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 90
In what way is 3GB not enough ? My GTX 1060 3GB does everything I need so far. Are we talking about 4K 60fps video files or something ?

LG B6 (Chad B. calibrated)
Yamaha 681 AVR
Polk Audio 3.1.2 Atmos
Panasonic UB820
Custom HTPC/Emby WMC/MPC-BE/MadVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 4218 Old 08-15-2018, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1180 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by clark17 View Post
I got gtx1060 (6gb), so what would be good starting point to make my JVC RS420 shine?

1080p to 4k and best 4k settings (including HDR to SDR)?

Thank you in advance.
Again, same as above. Upscaling with an e-shift projector shouldn't be a huge deal. These are the settings I would suggest:

1080p to 4K
  • Chroma: NGU Anti-Alias (high)
  • Downscaling: SSIM 1D 100% + LL + AR
  • Image upscaling: Off
  • Image doubling: NGU Sharp
  • <-- Luma doubling: high
  • <-- Luma quadrupling: let madVR decide (direct quadruple - NGU Sharp (high))
  • <-- Chroma: let madVR decide (Bicubic60 + AR)
  • <-- Doubling: let madVR decide (scaling factor 1.2x (or bigger))
  • <-- Quadrupling: let madVR decide (scaling factor 2.4x (or bigger))
  • <-- Upscaling algo: let madVR decide (Bicubic60 + AR)
  • <-- Downscaling algo: let madVR decide (Bicubic150 + LL + AR)
  • Upscaling refinement: soften edges (1)
  • Artifact removal - Debanding: medium/medium
  • Artifact removal - Deringing: Off
  • Artifact removal - Deblocking: Off
  • Artifact removal - Denoising: Off
  • Image enhancements: Off
  • Dithering: Ordered Dithering

You could try very high image doubling with chroma upscaling set to something like Bicubic60 + AR. But it could be a waste even if you get it to work.

For HDR -> SDR, I would definitely wait for the next official build before getting in too deep. It should be due shortly. Then, you will have a choice of tone mapping curve (BT.2390) and two checkboxes to consider. I don't really like "restore details in compressed highlights," so I would suggest leaving this unchecked.

A target nits of 350 nits to 480 nits would be advisable. I will post some details on how to configure this setting after the next build, including some screenshots of some content to show how different target curves change the image.
SuperFist likes this.
post #1143 of 4218 Old 08-15-2018, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkyoman View Post
Quote:
I got gtx1060 (6gb), so what would be good starting point to make my JVC RS420 shine?

1080p to 4k and best 4k settings (including HDR to SDR)?

Thank you in advance.
Again, same as above. Upscaling with an e-shift projector shouldn't be a huge deal. These are the settings I would suggest:

1080p to 4K
  • Downscaling: SSIM 1D 100% + LL&#160;+ AR
  • <-- Luma doubling:&#160;high
  • <-- Chroma:&#160;let madVR decide&#160;(Bicubic60 + AR)
  • <-- Downscaling algo: let madVR decide (Bicubic150 + LL&#160;+ AR)
  • Upscaling refinement:&#160;soften edges (1)
  • Artifact removal - Debanding:&#160;medium/medium

You could try very high image doubling with chroma upscaling set to something like Bicubic60 + AR. But it could be a waste even if you get it to work.

For HDR -> SDR, I would definitely wait for the next official build before getting in too deep. It should be due shortly. Then, you will have a choice of tone mapping curve (BT.2390) and two checkboxes to consider. I don't really like "restore details in compressed highlights," so I would suggest leaving this unchecked.

A target nits of 350 nits to 480 nits would be advisable. I will post some details on how to configure this setting after the next build, including some screenshots of some content to show how different target curves change the image.
Thank you very much for the info.

Are there any settings it is recommended it for 4k and 720p (or 480p) sources? For 4k I assume it will be at least Hdr to sdr.

Also I'm sorry for asking this but how do I gauge a proper playback? Ive seen some talk in ms in another thread.

As u suggested I will wait for the official madvr build with improved HDR to sdr functionality. I see a lot of folks working very hard testing daily builds.

I only could use [email protected] out of my igpu (I didn't have time to install 1060) and I was already blown away by some of the 4k samples (very choppy mind u) I saw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1144 of 4218 Old 08-15-2018, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annisman View Post
In what way is 3GB not enough ? My GTX 1060 3GB does everything I need so far. Are we talking about 4K 60fps video files or something ?
It depends on the settings you use. If you push the card to the limit, you may run out of VRAM. I don't know how much memory is used by HDR -> SDR, but that might be a scenario that requires extra memory. It could also work. I don't know for certain. But high settings have benchmarked at around 3.5GB of VRAM. It is hard to say what exact combinations of settings would use more than 3GB of VRAM.

The GTX 1060 3GB is known to work, but you can't blindly adjust settings without first considering the amount of memory you use.
post #1145 of 4218 Old 08-15-2018, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you very much for the info.

Are there any settings it is recommended it for 4k and 720p (or 480p) sources? For 4k I assume it will be at least Hdr to sdr.

Also I'm sorry for asking this but how do I gauge a proper playback? Ive seen some talk in ms in another thread.

As u suggested I will wait for the official madvr build with improved HDR to sdr functionality. I see a lot of folks working very hard testing daily builds.

I only could use [email protected] out of my igpu (I didn't have time to install 1060) and I was already blown away by some of the 4k samples (very choppy mind u) I saw.
I would use NGU Anti-Alias to upscale SD sources. NGU Sharp can just look strange with really large upscales. Otherwise, you shouldn't have to change anything.

For 4K sources, use the highest value of chroma upscaling you can afford.

Playback must be under the reported frame interval. At 24 fps, this is 41ms. At 60 fps, this is only 16ms. So it gets worse with faster frame intervals. You need about 5ms or better under the frame interval for smooth playback without dropping frames. You don't need to turn your GPU into a heater with noisy fan, so I would consider this, as well. Some expensive GPUs are very quiet, even when under load.
post #1146 of 4218 Old 08-15-2018, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I would use NGU Anti-Alias to upscale SD sources. NGU Sharp can just look strange with really large upscales. Otherwise, you shouldn't have to change anything.

For 4K sources, use the highest value of chroma upscaling you can afford.

Playback must be under the reported frame interval. At 24 fps, this is 41ms. At 60 fps, this is only 16ms. So it gets worse with faster frame intervals. You need about 5ms or better under the frame interval for smooth playback without dropping frames. You don't need to turn your GPU into a heater with noisy fan, so I would consider this, as well. Some expensive GPUs are very quiet, even when under load.
Thank you, I will reply once I get 1060 installed and I get some testing underway :-)

UPDATE:

Yes, the testing/setup is taking time as I want to do too many things and I don't have enough time to do all of them at once. LOL.

Gtx1060 is working as it should, I got audio working via DP to HDMI adapter for my non-4k compliant AVR. Also I got dvi-d to hmdi working for my 40" exercise TV. The only issue I have is with my JVC projector working in 4k rez and TV in 1080p, I'm limited to do muli-display to extended. I cannot do clone anymore (my previous setup). This causes "too smart for its own good" NVidia panel to turn off some displays if it doesn't detect signal for them. If I want to watch TV (which is not primary display) only with AVR audio, I have to re-enable display on AVR in order for sound to work. I think it might something to do with the sequence of devices I boot first. I have to test this more.

I've tried quickly HDR to SDR using latest build and I was very happy with the results. I need more time to setup it up properly madvr (using test patterns) and after it incorporate it into Kodi.

Also I tried quickly my Optoma 3D glasses and I got some mixed but positive results. I will have to do some tests with my old projector to compare 3D picture I was receiving from Optoma.

There is a great how to setup MadVR in your signature which I want to study as well...

I wish I had a full day or two to work on it... but with family life I only have 1-2 hrs a night to do so...

Thanks again for all the help

BTW... I've installed msi afterburner to setup custom fan curve on gtx1060 and to monitor GPU and VRAM usage. At one point (I will post results once I get things properly setup and tested) I saw GPU using 4.5gb of VRAM for 4k (SDR to HDR) + few other settings. However since I was clicking on options on the fly and I was rushing my final results might be different.

Last edited by clark17; 08-21-2018 at 10:52 AM.
post #1147 of 4218 Old 08-21-2018, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
hello I am new to the madvr game and thought I would see if someone could give me quick feedback
I have an old htpc cpu is a phenom 2 3200 4 cores with 8gb ddr3 ram

i was basically going to go after a 1050 since I heard these can play 4k videos and should work in older motherboards (tested this with a friends card)

however from reading about madvr I was curious if I would be able to take advantage of it if I got say the 1060 with 6gb ram.

I do not want to upgrade the cpu/mobo right now and am wondering if I could get 4k upscalling of 1080 videos with the better card or if the old hardware would limit me.
post #1148 of 4218 Old 08-21-2018, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1261 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejck View Post
hello I am new to the madvr game and thought I would see if someone could give me quick feedback
I have an old htpc cpu is a phenom 2 3200 4 cores with 8gb ddr3 ram

i was basically going to go after a 1050 since I heard these can play 4k videos and should work in older motherboards (tested this with a friends card)

however from reading about madvr I was curious if I would be able to take advantage of it if I got say the 1060 with 6gb ram.

I do not want to upgrade the cpu/mobo right now and am wondering if I could get 4k upscalling of 1080 videos with the better card or if the old hardware would limit me.

I'm going to say off the bat it really depends on your display. If you're trying to see differences on say a 55-65" 4K panel, then its not really all that critical at most viewing distances and it wouldn't be too hard to live with a low end card. However, on a 4K projector, that's a different kettle of fish with something like a 100" to say 150" image where you can see a lot of subtly expressed with various MadVR settings levels and you can easily start to push the processing right up to give even the faster cards a run for their money.
post #1149 of 4218 Old 08-22-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
I'm going to say off the bat it really depends on your display. If you're trying to see differences on say a 55-65" 4K panel, then its not really all that critical at most viewing distances and it wouldn't be too hard to live with a low end card. However, on a 4K projector, that's a different kettle of fish with something like a 100" to say 150" image where you can see a lot of subtly expressed with various MadVR settings levels and you can easily start to push the processing right up to give even the faster cards a run for their money.
i am planning on a 4k projector (optoma uhd65 is the front runner). i already have the 120 screen ready.

my concern is the older cpu. will that limit what i can do.
i am ok with middle of the road 1060 instead of a 1070. however dont want to waste my money on it if the cpu is going to limit.
post #1150 of 4218 Old 08-22-2018, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

1080p to 4K
  • Downscaling: SSIM 1D 100% + LL + AR
  • <-- Luma doubling: high
  • <-- Chroma: let madVR decide (Bicubic60 + AR)
  • <-- Downscaling algo: let madVR decide (Bicubic150 + LL + AR)
  • Upscaling refinement: soften edges (1)
  • Artifact removal - Debanding: medium/medium

I played with MadVR a bit last night. I run into few basic issues which took me a while to figure it out. For example (please do not laugh LOL) I was using DXVA2 for chroma upscaling as it was set under "trade quality for performance". Should all of the option be disabled in there? This threw me off a bit, as I didn't notice any changes I was making. Finally I noticed this with CTRL+J LOL.

Also I was able to setup profilesrez for 4k, 1080p, 720p and SD. I run into (I'm sure very basic issues) formy 1080p profile.
The profile is supposed to upscale1080p to 4k. I was able to upscale1920x816 (2.35:1) to desired 3840x2160 (scale factor of 2.64x). However 1920x1080 didn’t upscaleto 3280x2160 (scale factor of 2.0x) and MadVR left it at its native 1920x1080resolution. I’m posting screenshot from both,perhaps someone (please) can point me in the right direction where my issue is. I’m sure it is a user error :P

Also I setup 4k profile for native4k sources including HDR to SDR. I usedNGU Sharp medium, as NGU Sharp high was a tad much for my GTX1060. Please see screenshot if there is somethingI should change or try. I’m using 350for my display peak nits. At 480 it istad to dark for me.

Thanks in advance for our help.

Last edited by clark17; 08-22-2018 at 06:08 PM.
post #1151 of 4218 Old 08-22-2018, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked: 498
you are using DXVA native for decoding and this results in a lower chroma quailty nvidia is very hard hit by this and this is the reason madVR uses DXVA chroma scaling in this situation because it doesn't matter as it should.

sometimes you displaying 1080p as 1080p some times you upscale to 2160 so sorry not sure what you are doing here. did put for any chance 1080p in the display modes ? only leave 2160 resolution in there.
post #1152 of 4218 Old 08-22-2018, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn View Post
you are using DXVA native for decoding and this results in a lower chroma quailty nvidia is very hard hit by this and this is the reason madVR uses DXVA chroma scaling in this situation because it doesn't matter as it should.

sometimes you displaying 1080p as 1080p some times you upscale to 2160 so sorry not sure what you are doing here. did put for any chance 1080p in the display modes ? only leave 2160 resolution in there.
Fair enough. I'm total madVR noob :-) I will try to explain again.

The top 2 pictures are from my 1080p to 4k rez profile. From my understanding both samples should be resized from 1080p to 4k resolution. Only one of them was resized to 4k the other one stayed at 1080p.

the last picture is from my 4k rez profile. It is mainly for 4k HDR to SDR with some chroma scaling. I just wanted your feedback if there is anything wrong with my settings (at least from the CTRL+J)

I'm sure i'm missing something. Can you please explain what display modes are you referring to? My Projector via GPU is set to 4k resolution. I'm accepting all 4k and 1080p files at different frame rates (23, 24, 25...etc). I would like to able to up 1080p to 4k. After I will try to the same for 720p to 4k and 480p to 4k (with different scaling settings for each).

Thanks again... and I'm sorry for not being more clear about my goals
post #1153 of 4218 Old 08-22-2018, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
i am planning on a 4k projector (optoma uhd65 is the front runner). i already have the 120 screen ready.

i am ok with middle of the road 1060 instead of a 1070. however dont want to waste my money on it if the cpu is going to limit.
The CPU won't limit the performance of the GPU with madVR. The only issue you could run into is hardware decoding. I was using an old Core 2 Duo E8400 with a GTX 1050 Ti and the video decoder would sometimes have to catch up after skipping through a video. The old CPU was "dumb" when decoding HEVC, regardless of the chosen decoder, and CPU usage was on the high side (up to 60-70%). This didn't limit the ability to play any 4K content. It just meant skipping through a movie would be slower than desired with the occasional playback hitch.
post #1154 of 4218 Old 08-22-2018, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

what player are you using and is the player set to default settings?

check madVR settings -> devices -> "your device name" -> display modes
post #1155 of 4218 Old 08-22-2018, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Fair enough. I'm total madVR noob :-) I will try to explain again.

The top 2 pictures are from my 1080p to 4k rez profile. From my understanding both samples should be resized from 1080p to 4k resolution. Only one of them was resized to 4k the other one stayed at 1080p.

the last picture is from my 4k rez profile. It is mainly for 4k HDR to SDR with some chroma scaling. I just wanted your feedback if there is anything wrong with my settings (at least from the CTRL+J)

I'm sure i'm missing something. Can you please explain what display modes are you referring to? My Projector via GPU is set to 4k resolution. I'm accepting all 4k and 1080p files at different frame rates (23, 24, 25...etc). I would like to able to up 1080p to 4k. After I will try to the same for 720p to 4k and 480p to 4k (with different scaling settings for each).

Thanks again... and I'm sorry for not being more clear about my goals
I'm not sure if you are doing anything wrong. The second 1080p shot isn't being upscaled. Is this a 3D file? In that case, it won't be upscaled.

Don't bother with NGU Anti-Alias very high chroma upscaling. You will overwork your GPU for little to no gain. NGU high is good enough for that task.

Under display modes in madVR, you can enter all of the following to get automatic refresh rate switching:

2160p23, 2160p24, 2160p25, 2160p29, 2160p30, 2160p50, 2160p59, 2160p60

If you just set your GPU to 3840 x 2160p at 60 Hz, all your 1080p files should be upscaled to this resolution, so there could be something wrong there.
post #1156 of 4218 Old 08-22-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
The CPU won't limit the performance of the GPU with madVR. The only issue you could run into is hardware decoding. I was using an old Core 2 Duo E8400 with a GTX 1050 Ti and the video decoder would sometimes have to catch up after skipping through a video. The old CPU was "dumb" when decoding HEVC, regardless of the chosen decoder, and CPU usage was on the high side (up to 60-70%). This didn't limit the ability to play any 4K content. It just meant skipping through a movie would be slower than desired with the occasional playback hitch.
if i get a 1060 with 6gb ram would that help and limit the need/use of the old CPU?
or will the CPU always come into play no matter how powerful the GPU is when skipping?
What about up-scaling from 1080p to 4k?

From what I read a 1050 would be able to play 4k without issues. I am more concerned about spending extra coin to get the 1060 to get 4k upscaling and use of MadVR. If the CPU will not allow that to happen then I can just stick with the 1050 and play my 4k content and the 1080p content can be played without madvr and upscaling
post #1157 of 4218 Old 08-22-2018, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Thank you for your input both 1080p files are 2D. I will try to do more testing.

For the display modes I have big 8 for both 2160 and 1080. If I'm only displaying in 2160, should I even have other entries in there for 1080, 720 and 480.. The way I have setup I let MadVR/MPC-HC to run with the source's refresh rate which my projector has support for.

I'm sorry for stupid questions.

Quote:
I'm not sure if you are doing anything wrong. The second 1080p shot isn't being upscaled. Is this a 3D file? In that case, it won't be upscaled.

Don't bother with NGU Anti-Alias very high chroma upscaling. You will overwork your GPU for little to no gain. NGU high is good enough for that task.

Under display modes in madVR, you can enter all of the following to get automatic refresh rate switching:

2160p23, 2160p24, 2160p25, 2160p29, 2160p30, 2160p50, 2160p59, 2160p60

If you just set your GPU to 3840 x 2160p at 60 Hz, all your 1080p files should be upscaled to this resolution, so there could be something wrong there.
post #1158 of 4218 Old 08-22-2018, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for your input both 1080p files are 2D. I will try to do more testing.

For the display modes I have big 8 for both 2160 and 1080. If I'm only displaying in 2160, should I even have other entries in there for 1080, 720 and 480.. The way I have setup I let MadVR/MPC-HC to run with the source's refresh rate which my projector has support for.

I'm sorry for stupid questions.
You don't want any 1080p display modes as that will output at 1080p. The display mode specifies the output resolution and refresh rate.
post #1159 of 4218 Old 08-22-2018, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
if i get a 1060 with 6gb ram would that help and limit the need/use of the old CPU?
or will the CPU always come into play no matter how powerful the GPU is when skipping?
What about up-scaling from 1080p to 4k?

From what I read a 1050 would be able to play 4k without issues. I am more concerned about spending extra coin to get the 1060 to get 4k upscaling and use of MadVR. If the CPU will not allow that to happen then I can just stick with the 1050 and play my 4k content and the 1080p content can be played without madvr and upscaling
It doesn't matter which GPU you use. It will perform independent of the CPU and any possible issues with delays with hardware decoding will remain. That CPU is newer than a Core 2 Duo, I believe, so you might not have any problems at all. The CPU is not a factor unless it is really old. The hardware decoder is a completely separate part of the GPU.

You shouldn't have to buy a new GPU every couple of years. It is better to invest in a GPU that will last over the long term. That would be the GTX 1060 6GB. Keep in mind, replacements for these cards are on the way in 2019, and prices for current cards will go down in the process.
post #1160 of 4218 Old 08-22-2018, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Yes, you should have different profiles for all your different media resolutions so you can tune for each. For example, 2160p needs to be setup completely different from every other resolution. 720p to 2160p is VERY demanding and will need the reigns pulled back more than any other resolution upscale settings. 3D requires different settings than 2D. And so on... You want to create profiles to get the most out of your GPU and end up scaling to 2160p in the end.

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1909 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3&5 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D / Denon S720W
post #1161 of 4218 Old 08-22-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
It doesn't matter which GPU you use. It will perform independent of the CPU and any possible issues with delays with hardware decoding will remain. That CPU is newer than a Core 2 Duo, I believe, so you might not have any problems at all. The CPU is not a factor unless it is really old. The hardware decoder is a completely separate part of the GPU.

You shouldn't have to buy a new GPU every couple of years. It is better to invest in a GPU that will last over the long term. That would be the GTX 1060 6GB. Keep in mind, replacements for these cards are on the way in 2019, and prices for current cards will go down in the process.
also how does the 1060 6gb compare to a
RX 580 8GB.
the 1060 and the 580 are both listed as "Recommended" in the first post. are they about equal?
post #1162 of 4218 Old 08-22-2018, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

just read on. outside of madVR they are very similar.
post #1163 of 4218 Old 08-22-2018, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
what player are you using and is the player set to default settings?

check madVR settings -> devices -> "your device name" -> display modes

MPC-HC. AFAIK I haven't make any changes. But you know how it is with testing at late night it is my projector's name. Like you and Onkyoman pointed out, it must be the display modes RTFM RTFM and more RTFM

Quote:
You don't want any 1080p display modes as that will output at 1080p. The display mode specifies the output resolution and refresh rate.

Thank you, I'll try that tonight. I'm planning on installing RiverTuner to get overlay with GPU/VRAM usage during movie playback in full screen. This should help me with tweaking GPU usage. Also I will try lowering settings as you suggested.

What options are recommend to check/uncheck in "trade quality for performance" tab?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
Yes, you should have different profiles for all your different media resolutions so you can tune for each. For example, 2160p needs to be setup completely different from every other resolution. 720p to 2160p is VERY demanding and will need the reigns pulled back more than any other resolution upscale settings. 3D requires different settings than 2D. And so on... You want to create profiles to get the most out of your GPU and end up scaling to 2160p in the end.

Thanks for the heads up. I will add 3D profile for sure. (baby steps... baby steps).

Thanks for all your help guys...
post #1164 of 4218 Old 08-22-2018, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

the trade quailty for performance page is best left at default setting. there is a reason it is like it is.

in mpc-hc think about a different decoder that is not DXVA native like D3D11 copyback or DXVA copyback. the default DXVA native makes a lot of sense for the default EVR renderer but not for madVR.

any overlay thingy usually creates problem for madVR so just use the OSD it. even running GPU-Z in the background can create problems. GPU usage is unreliable anyway thanks to the inconsistent clocks of modern GPUs.
post #1165 of 4218 Old 08-22-2018, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
the trade quailty for performance page is best left at default setting. there is a reason it is like it is.

in mpc-hc think about a different decoder that is not DXVA native like D3D11 copyback or DXVA copyback. the default DXVA native makes a lot of sense for the default EVR renderer but not for madVR.

any overlay thingy usually creates problem for madVR so just use the OSD it. even running GPU-Z in the background can create problems. GPU usage is unreliable anyway thanks to the inconsistent clocks of modern GPUs.

Thanks for the info, I will change DXVA native to something else. Is there a good read about decoders? and it is recommended.

Are these the default settings? I've already unchecked all of them:

Thank you
post #1166 of 4218 Old 08-22-2018, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

use DXVA copy back or d3d11 copyback it doesn't really matter.

DXVA native lowers chroma quality and d3d11 native doesn't support deinterlancing on madVR side outside of these the image quality will be bit identical. so nothing worth reading about.

the settings are looking fine.
post #1167 of 4218 Old 08-22-2018, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

See how you go with the 1060, I have been happy with my 1070 for 4K projection needs on a very sharp JVC RS4500.
I might also throw into your 4K projector considerations, the next gen of JVC native 4K units to be unveiled at IFA Berlin in just under two weeks time. I reckon it will be even with precise specs uncertain, a mistake to leave them off the list. There's a fair chance that they will end up blowing the optoma out of the room without wanting to speak to soon..
post #1168 of 4218 Old 08-22-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
See how you go with the 1060, I have been happy with my 1070 for 4K projection needs on a very sharp JVC RS4500.
I might also throw into your 4K projector considerations, the next gen of JVC native 4K units to be unveiled at IFA Berlin in just under two weeks time. I reckon it will be even with precise specs uncertain, a mistake to leave them off the list. There's a fair chance that they will end up blowing the optoma out of the room without wanting to speak to soon..
i got burned on my last projector. a JVC. been sans projector for a year now. Out of warranty and they want you to ship it to Atlanta with no idea of how much it will be and if its worth fixing.
Aparently they pulled the service manuals so local techs cant get them to drive business over to the outsourcing comp they pay to fix these
post #1169 of 4218 Old 08-23-2018, 03:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
i got burned on my last projector. a JVC. been sans projector for a year now. Out of warranty and they want you to ship it to Atlanta with no idea of how much it will be and if its worth fixing.
Aparently they pulled the service manuals so local techs cant get them to drive business over to the outsourcing comp they pay to fix these
Sorry to hear that. Man you would literally be first JVC bad story I've heard, I probably know at least 20 guys here on forum with 2 or more good experiences. I'm on my third, still own other two. I've also heard people with Sony issue but I've had 10 Sony's personally and none ever had to go back. So sometimes you get unlucky big time I guess. But I reckon every brand has this really.
post #1170 of 4218 Old 08-23-2018, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Sorry to hear that. Man you would literally be first JVC bad story I've heard, I probably know at least 20 guys here on forum with 2 or more good experiences. I'm on my third, still own other two. I've also heard people with Sony issue but I've had 10 Sony's personally and none ever had to go back. So sometimes you get unlucky big time I guess. But I reckon every brand has this really.
true.

thanks for your help I guess i just need to get a projector and jump back onboard :-)

i am picking up a 1060 evga with 6gb ram and i will start playing with it. Is there a recommended starting point for the settings that i can then begin to tweak? I have been reading the guide and its a lot of settings :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
htpc build , madvr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page