Guide: Building a 4K HTPC for madVR - Page 47 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 797Likes

post #1381 of 3082 Old 11-01-2018, 09:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked: 426
it is highly recommended to use RGB.
and because you cans end 10 bit rgb at 60 hz people just leave it at this.
DavidinGA likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 3082 Old 11-01-2018, 11:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkyoman View Post
Spoiler!
Thanks much - really helpful. What if I have to scale up 720P content to 4K? Do you happen to have the profile settings for that? Also, the 1080P profile upscales the content to 4K, correct?
post #1383 of 3082 Old 11-02-2018, 02:33 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
I don't know anything about those other app's, but wouldn't that just add another layer of complexity if MPC and madVr get it done by themselves?
I'm with you, I don't like having any unnecessary software, it's already complicated enough
I use this app on Android to control MPC-HC/BE from the couch and it does everything that I need:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=175007

@Onkyoman , you can put this into the first post as an alternative if you like.
meles likes this.

Ryzen 5 2600,Asus Prime b450-Plus,16GB,MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB(v385.28),Win10 LTSB 1607,MPC-BEx64+LAV+MadVR,Yamaha RX-A870,LG OLED65B8(04.10.25+PC4:4:[email protected]/24/25/29/30/50/59/60Hz)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1384 of 3082 Old 11-02-2018, 02:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
What you're describing has been done for years by Kodi, Plex, Emby and other media front-ends. I am sure you are aware of this software. When you rip something, you end up with a computer file. If you name that file accordingly (e.g. Movie (2018)), the media front-end will pull up the title, various artwork, cast and crew information and technical information from sites such as IMDb and The Movie Database. This recreates the experience of having the disc and player with even greater immersion due to the added artwork and movie wall browsing for all titles in your collection -- not just the single disc in the player. So this is similar to how you would browse content in Netflix.

This is one example of a skin in Kodi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbwG7ZuBrDU

There are a few steps involved...

1. You must rip your media

For 1080p content, this is easy. You can buy any Blu-ray drive (preferably, one without riplock) and use ripping software such as MakeMKV or AnyDVD HD to make a 1:1 digital copy. Then it is just a matter of sitting through the process of ripping each disc and naming the resulting file with the appropriate naming conventions. The two most common ripping formats are ISO and MKV. ISO retains the movie extras with the ability to use menus with some software, while MKV contains only the main title and appropriate audio and subtitle tracks. MKVs are supported by all media players and reduce file sizes by a considerable amount, so it is the more popular format.

4K UHD content has made the ripping process more complicated. To hack AACS 2.x, you need a specific type of Blu-ray drive with specific firmware. This is detailed in the first post of this thread. You must purchase a "friendly" Blu-ray drive and flash its firmware to an older version to get it to read UHD discs. Flashing the firmware is a fairly involved process and requires direct access to your motherboard to connect the Blu-ray drive. If you are not very technical, this may seem imposing, but it can be done if you buy the right drive and follow the instructions linked in post one. The most popular software for ripping 4K UHD media are MakeMKV and DeUHD, among others listed in the first post. There is still security built-into AACS 2.x that hasn't been enabled yet. So it is possible to lose the ability to rip new 4K UHD media in the future. But that hasn't been an issue so far through the first two layers of AACS 2.x protection. AACS 1.0 (1080p Blu-ray) has no such restrictions.

2. You need a server to store your media

Sitting through the process of ripping and renaming your media is tedious if you have a large collection. Once you have ripped something, you need some place to store it. Given you are using a projector, I would recommend a separate "ripping" station with access to a NAS box with several hard drive bays or a PC with a case and motherboard capable of supporting many mechanical hard drives. It is an option to use RAID software to manage hard drive space and deal with the possibility of failed drives. RAID use will increase the amount of drives you need, however. You will need a lot of storage, as Blu-ray rips are huge digital files: Think 12TB or more of usable drive space, especially when UHD rips can exceed 50GB each. Investing in a bunch of large TB hard drives is something you need to consider when building a server for your collection.

3. You need a client/player

To play content from the server on your projector, a front-end with a 4K HDR media player is required:

- Nvidia Shield (Kodi and Plex. Not great at upscaling and average image quality. Issues with color space conversions);

- Apple TV 4K (Kodi fork (MrMC) and Plex. Can't do TrueHD Atmos or DTS:X and converts all HD audio to PCM. Better image quality and upscaling than the Shield, but not high-end. Supports Dolby Vision through MrMC with ISO rips);

- Dedicated Kodi Boxes (Limited to Kodi with similar upscaling and image quality to the Apple TV 4K but with support for HD audio);

- Windows HTPC

The Windows HTPC is what you're inquiring about. There are some caveats to this approach: You are running a full PC operating system, so expect to use a keyboard and mouse on many occasions. You will likely have to deal with bugs and issues caused by Windows Updates and new GPU drivers. If you don't like to tinker with Windows, you may not like owning a HTPC. You should be technical and comfortable in using Windows. Automation with a Harmony remote or an iPad with iRule is possible, and this is how you would interact with the HTPC on most occasions. But do know that you'll have to deal with Windows fairly frequently, so a mouse and keyboard is necessary.

As for the benefits of madVR, there are several. Good HDR tone mapping for projectors is available with a fair amount of customization. This is actually being improved at this moment. Color accuracy and upscaling quality are very good and comparable to the best Blu-ray players out there. Calibration via a 3D LUT should strongly be considered and is easy to accomplish in madVR. I can't say there are many advantages to frame rate handling. Matching frame rates is still the best way to get smooth motion, and all of the options above will do that. Smooth motion is offered, but it is designed to eliminate 3:2 pulldown judder, not to improve the playback of matched frame rates. There are other options such as the Smooth Video Project (SVP) if you want true frame interpolation for 24p sources. Many media players that use madVR can be configured to use SVP.

madVR is always a great option for getting accurate colors to the display with good upscaling quality. The growing list of its HDR options is also appealing. But you have to be willing to live with the constant tinkering and hassles of running a media front-end over Windows. It is not even close to as simple as living with a basic streaming box. So there is some sacrifice.

Before you get this far, you must figure out if you can build the server necessary to store all of your discs and you need to find a "friendly" UHD Blu-ray drive, flash the firmware and get it to recognize both your 1080p and 4K UHD discs. The ripping process requires a lot of patience and file renaming. Only then can you worry about a client player to play this media. There should always be a client out there that can play your collection, so you don't have to commit to anything immediately. You must first determine if you are capable of accessing the necessary drives and software to rip everything. Again, refer to post one for some instruction.

I hope that answered most of your questions
Onkyoman, thank you for the excellent insight and 360 degrees perspective pertaining to the question I raised. In all honesty, I'd rather have a reliable system that works without problems from day one, I don't think I would enjoy troubleshooting a windows based system, it t would frustrate me. As content moves into the digital domain, I think dedicated server and client systems will become available, reliable and affordable.

One such system that works like a breeze and is super reliable is Kaleidescape but it is "expensive" and targeted towards high-end installations.

Here are my thoughts and your input will be appreciated:-

1. I don't have a problem with riping my movies (1:1) and investing in a raid-based NAS.
2. I am sensitive to image fidelity and good upscaling is always welcome but newer generation projectors do a very decent job of upscaling.
3. Calibration can be effected at the projector level as good ones have a full blown CMS.
4. Tone mapping is still a challenge and I hope NVIDIA addresses this in the Shield. Essentially this needs to happen in the display device as luminance plays a huge role, it should be an automatic process based on incoming metadata detection (Rec.709, HDR10 / HDR10+ / BT2020).
5. Is there a player that one could run on the Shield or under KODI that provides excellent image quality ? - I've read about VLC and MX Player.

Let me have your views.

Other users, feel free to share your experiences.
post #1385 of 3082 Old 11-02-2018, 03:09 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi,
i´m currently experimenting with building a HTPC based on Kodi, DSPlayer and MadVR.

Last time i build a HTPC is more than 10 years ago - i wanted to get away from all the hazzle building and maintaining a PC just to watch movies and used Dune players since then.
However, 4K and especially HDR processing brought my attention back to HTPC. I played around with MadVR a bit and found it to be a mighty tool to be able to solve a couple of issues and requirements i have.

This being said, this is the topic i´m currently working on: i´m currently building a dedicated home cinema with a 21:9 screen. I want to implement a 4-way automated masking. (4 way because i don´t want to mask just left and right when playing 16:9 material, but i also want to adjust to different cinemascope ratios).
I found that MadVR does a pretty good job in finding out the real aspect ration of the movie currently being played and doing screen adjustments.

What i´m looking for is to get the information out of MadVR to be able to integrate it into my home cinema automation (Crestron). I found there´s some rudimentary API to interact with MadVR via LAN, but this is covering more or less just some basic commands.
What i would like to get is the real movie AR (2.4, 1.78, 1.85, 2.35, 2.39, etc.) at least, but preferably detailed information on the black bars down to pixel column/row-level.

Is that possible?

Cheers, Thorsten
post #1386 of 3082 Old 11-02-2018, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn View Post
For some reason anytime I use rgb I can't display more than 8bit. I don't know if that's a limitation of the Epson 4000's 10gbps chipset or if I'm doing something else wrong...

I have never seen my pj display 10bit in any mode either. It's always an 8bit or 12bit source. Why would that be?

Is there a consensus on 8bit rgb vs 12bit YCbCr for the Epson 4000 (or 5040 as they use the same chipset)?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

--------------------------------------------------
Source: HTPC w/madVR, Video: Epson 4000, 150" 16:9, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofer: MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D.

Last edited by DavidinGA; 11-02-2018 at 07:01 AM.
post #1387 of 3082 Old 11-02-2018, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4641 Post(s)
Liked: 2945
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockyAVS View Post
Hi,
i´m currently experimenting with building a HTPC based on Kodi, DSPlayer and MadVR.

Last time i build a HTPC is more than 10 years ago - i wanted to get away from all the hazzle building and maintaining a PC just to watch movies and used Dune players since then.
However, 4K and especially HDR processing brought my attention back to HTPC. I played around with MadVR a bit and found it to be a mighty tool to be able to solve a couple of issues and requirements i have.

This being said, this is the topic i´m currently working on: i´m currently building a dedicated home cinema with a 21:9 screen. I want to implement a 4-way automated masking. (4 way because i don´t want to mask just left and right when playing 16:9 material, but i also want to adjust to different cinemascope ratios).
I found that MadVR does a pretty good job in finding out the real aspect ration of the movie currently being played and doing screen adjustments.

What i´m looking for is to get the information out of MadVR to be able to integrate it into my home cinema automation (Crestron). I found there´s some rudimentary API to interact with MadVR via LAN, but this is covering more or less just some basic commands.
What i would like to get is the real movie AR (2.4, 1.78, 1.85, 2.35, 2.39, etc.) at least, but preferably detailed information on the black bars down to pixel column/row-level.

Is that possible?

Cheers, Thorsten
I did something similar using Kodi and my own software. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-sc...c-masking.html
It's not really possible to get this information out of madVR. But if you can script a bit messing with even the likes of autoit or autohotkey, you can use the external player option in Kodi to launch your script as the player. Your script will determine what is the actual aspect ratio of the movie, engage the masking appropriately, launch the real player, and when the player exits, disengage the masking.

I have a pretty detailed algorithm that tries to fetch the actual aspect of the movie. I'm still perfecting it but it's a bit tricky. Real blurays always show 16:9 aspect (1920x1080 or 3840x2160) as black bars are part of the video. There are lots of ways you can manage this. One could be as simple as including the aspect in the filename and parsing that in a script. If you want to discuss it more, I'm happy to help here as I've done a lot of work in this area for myself. I actually fetch frames of the movie in ffmpeg and then analyze those. But that also has its own issues such as what if the frames you grab are during a "fade to black" or mid opening credit scene etc.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #1388 of 3082 Old 11-02-2018, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
My hdr screen has a bunch of different options that are different from the hdr pixel shader link you posted. Is mine newer, older...?

How should I set mine up?

That is a very old build. You would want to update.
post #1389 of 3082 Old 11-02-2018, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_jaguar View Post
Thanks much - really helpful. What if I have to scale up 720P content to 4K? Do you happen to have the profile settings for that? Also, the 1080P profile upscales the content to 4K, correct?
It would work for 720p content, as well. And, yes, upscaling is involved.
the_jaguar likes this.
post #1390 of 3082 Old 11-02-2018, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That is a very old build. You would want to update.
Ok, do I have to setup everything again when I install the new version?

Source: HTPC w/madVR, Video: Epson 4000, 150" 16:9, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofer: MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D.
post #1391 of 3082 Old 11-02-2018, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ash View Post
4. Tone mapping is still a challenge and I hope NVIDIA addresses this in the Shield. Essentially this needs to happen in the display device as luminance plays a huge role, it should be an automatic process based on incoming metadata detection (Rec.709, HDR10 / HDR10+ / BT2020).
5. Is there a player that one could run on the Shield or under KODI that provides excellent image quality ? - I've read about VLC and MX Player.

Let me have your views.

Other users, feel free to share your experiences.
The Shield will passthrough the source to the display. Newer projectors should do a better job with HDR content.

Kodi is the player I'd use on the Shield, but image quality will be more or less the same regardless of player if you use the default MediaCodec Surface rendering provided by the Shield. You can choose Kodi's rendering (Pixel Shaders with Lanczos3) to boost quality, but you lose some rendering features if you do this.
post #1392 of 3082 Old 11-02-2018, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok, do I have to setup everything again when I install the new version?

You shouldn't lose your settings.

If you ever get madVR figured out, I would try out Kodi DSPlayer. If it is simplicity you want, DSPlayer can do that for the media player portion because you can leave MPC behind. Learning how to add your sources in Kodi might take a little bit of training, but it is straightforward once you figure it out.

There is a wiki for DSPlayer here: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=222576
DavidinGA likes this.
post #1393 of 3082 Old 11-02-2018, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For some reason anytime I use rgb I can't display more than 8bit. I don't know if that's a limitation of the Epson 4000's 10gbps chipset or if I'm doing something else wrong...

I have never seen my pj display 10bit in any mode either. It's always an 8bit or 12bit source. Why would that be?

Is there a consensus on 8bit rgb vs 12bit YCbCr for the Epson 4000 (or 5040 as they use the same chipset)?

8-bits is the highest bit depth supported at 60 Hz due to bandwidth limitations of HDMI 2.0. You can get around this with refresh rate switching, but I wouldn't get hung up on the bit depth. It is one of the least important settings. 12-bits is the actual output from the GPU, so that is normal.

I would go back to this post: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php...438#pid2739438
DavidinGA likes this.
post #1394 of 3082 Old 11-02-2018, 07:43 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Do we have any basic go-to settings to change with madVR for better pq results based on GPU ability?

I have a 1060 6gb card and would appreciate any pointers on which options would make the most of what my GPU can do.
Most of my content will be hevc 4k (both sdr and hdr) and some 1080p.
Shooting onto a Epson 4000 (HDR capable)

Advice?

I messed around with some settings mirroring this video (not sure these are the best settings) and easily made my GPU drop frames:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNGttgJYiyE

Would you recommend the settings in that video?

Thanks
madvr can be a bit overwhelming in the beginning, but it's a powerful tool which you can customize to your needs. You should try to go through every setting and see what it does.
Here is an excelent and comprehensive guide: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=259188
DavidinGA likes this.

Last edited by noob00224; 11-02-2018 at 07:49 AM.
post #1395 of 3082 Old 11-02-2018, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros73 View Post
I'm with you, I don't like having any unnecessary software, it's already complicated enough
I use this app on Android to control MPC-HC/BE from the couch and it does everything that I need:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=175007

@Onkyoman , you can put this into the first post as an alternative if you like.
I added your link to the Player Support thread. Thanks.
chros73 likes this.
post #1396 of 3082 Old 11-02-2018, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn View Post
Is that a general rule, or is it recommended for the pj I am using? The Epson 4000 only has a 10.2gbps chipset.

post #1397 of 3082 Old 11-02-2018, 08:41 AM
Vao

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I was planing to collect new htpc using i5 and gtx1060 but the market surprises my budget. i'm not sure for building amd machine right now so I'm thinking of upgrading my old machine!

set-up is:
Code:
Intel Core2Duo E8400, 3000mhz
MSI P45 Neo(1 PCI-E x16)
4 GB ram DDR2-800Mhz
450W CHIEFTEC GPS-450A
As far as i know this machine can handle GTX 1060 6GB right? I need to know can I use full power of MAdVR using gtx1060 with this old machine!?
My biggest needs right now are to play 4K which this PC can not do! Second thing is to use as most as i can MadVR options with this machine! If 1060 will be limited with this set up and i will not be able to play much with MAdVR settings i can go lower buying gtx1030/1050 just enough to play 4k UHD and then sometime next year to build the whole new htpc... the lower budget card will stay with this old machine and will be used for something else.

so guys how much of the gtx1060+madvr potential i'll be able to use with this old htpc? if not more than just to play 4K uhd is it better to buy the lower models 1030/1050!?

JVC DLA-X35, 150" 2.35:1 Flat Screen

Last edited by Vao; 11-02-2018 at 08:46 AM.
post #1398 of 3082 Old 11-02-2018, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 63
@Vao
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelrt View Post
1060 is almost the same as a 970 , both are faster than a 1050. Personally if you can swing it, I would try for at least a 1070. If you do go 1060 , get a 6gb version not a 3gb. I would go 1060 over 970 , if I remeber correctly 10xx series has an extra hardware decoder for HEVC. Brand wise, ASUS, Evga, MSI, Gigabyte are all big players and you shouldnt have an issue. I have bought some lesser know= brands like Galaxy in the past and had no issues as well though.

Quote:
Going down to the GTX 1050 Ti would make it more difficult to use madVR's HDR -> SDR tone mapping with all the enhancements enabled and reasonable levels of chroma upscaling. Epson projectors are known to clip a lot of detail when set to HDR passthrough, so it can be worth investing in madVR's HDR tone mapping. madshi seem dedicated to improving it to be better than comparable options from Panasonic, Lumagen and the basic tone mapping provided by the projectors themselves. The bar is fairly high for the Panasonic Blu-ray player and Lumagen, but it should already be comparable and is likely to be superior when development has completed. A GTX 1060 is the best option for this feature for current 4K HDR content.
post #1399 of 3082 Old 11-02-2018, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is that a general rule, or is it recommended for the pj I am using? The Epson 4000 only has a 10.2gbps chipset.

I posted the same link three times: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php...438#pid2739438. See "Configuring Your GPU – Refresh Rate, Color Format and Bit Depth." There is even an article there written by madshi.

It is more a matter of using a PC when converting to RGB is necessary. You don't want to convert back to YCbCr at the GPU, and you don't want to subsample the chroma to 4:2:2 when it can be sent as RGB 4:4:4.

I would only use 8-bit if you are outputting at 60 Hz. Otherwise, you might as well send 12-bit. The madVR set up guide includes a 10-bit test protocol that can used to test the two different outputs with a high bit depth gradient image.
post #1400 of 3082 Old 11-02-2018, 10:00 AM
Vao

My question was more about if MSI P45 Neo + 450W PSU will run gtx 1060 and what to expect. Also how much of the madvr option i'll be able to use with this old cpu and motherboard...

post #1401 of 3082 Old 11-02-2018, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vao View Post
I was planing to collect new htpc using i5 and gtx1060 but the market surprises my budget. i'm not sure for building amd machine right now so I'm thinking of upgrading my old machine!

set-up is:
Code:
MSI P45 Neo(1 PCI-E x16)
4 GB ram DDR2-800Mhz
450W CHIEFTEC GPS-450A
As far as i know this machine can handle GTX 1060 6GB right? I need to know can I use full power of MAdVR using gtx1060 with this old machine!?
My biggest needs right now are to play 4K which this PC can not do! Second thing is to use as most as i can MadVR options with this machine! If 1060 will be limited with this set up and i will not be able to play much with MAdVR settings i can go lower buying gtx1030/1050 just enough to play 4k UHD and then sometime next year to build the whole new htpc... the lower budget card will stay with this old machine and will be used for something else.

so guys how much of the gtx1060+madvr potential i'll be able to use with this old htpc? if not more than just to play 4K uhd is it better to buy the lower models 1030/1050!?
I started with an E8400 CPU. It will work fine, but video decoding sometimes has to catch up when skipping through videos and occasionally I had to pause the video to get the video decoder to refill the decoding queue.

You could start with it and replace the CPU and motherboard when your budget allows.
post #1402 of 3082 Old 11-02-2018, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My question was more about if MSI P45 Neo + 450W PSU will run gtx 1060 and what to expect. Also how much of the madvr option i'll be able to use with this old cpu and motherboard...
It won't impact the performance of the GPU, but video decoding can be impacted, as stated above.
post #1403 of 3082 Old 11-02-2018, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I posted the same link three times: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php...438#pid2739438. See "Configuring Your GPU – Refresh Rate, Color Format and Bit Depth." There is even an article there written by madshi.

It is more a matter of using a PC when converting to RGB is necessary. You don't want to convert back to YCbCr at the GPU, and you don't want to subsample the chroma to 4:2:2 when it can be sent as RGB 4:4:4.

I would only use 8-bit if you are outputting at 60 Hz. Otherwise, you might as well send 12-bit. The madVR set up guide includes a 10-bit test protocol that can used to test the two different outputs with a high bit depth gradient image.
Ok, thanks.

Lots to learn to still...

post #1404 of 3082 Old 11-02-2018, 10:40 AM
Vao

Quote:
I started with an E8400 CPU. It will work fine, but video decoding sometimes has to catch up when skipping through videos and occasionally I had to pause the video to get the video decoder to refill the decoding queue.

You could start with it and replace the CPU and motherboard when your budget allows.
Quote:
It won't impact the performance of the GPU, but video decoding can be impacted, as stated above.
Oh ok... are you sure there is no fix of this? overclock for an example? or windows 8 as madshi suggested many times for madvr+htpc?

post #1405 of 3082 Old 11-02-2018, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I did something similar using Kodi and my own software.
It's not really possible to get this information out of madVR. But if you can script a bit messing with even the likes of autoit or autohotkey, you can use the external player option in Kodi to launch your script as the player. Your script will determine what is the actual aspect ratio of the movie, engage the masking appropriately, launch the real player, and when the player exits, disengage the masking.
thanks. Nice work! That´s exactly what i want to achieve.
However, it should be possible with using MadVR - i just received some information from madshi. MadVR is already able to detect the real movie AR and then it´s possible to react on it using profiles. So for each AR, a profile needs to be created. Within the profile, it´s possible to trigger an external script that sends the detected AR to my control system.
That´s the piece i need to work on right now. Basically, i need a small command to be envoked from the script that sends a data package to my control system handing over the AR.
post #1406 of 3082 Old 11-02-2018, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2205 Post(s)
Liked: 766
I have a couple of questions using madvr please.
I only use BD and DVD rips. The projector JVC X9900. I use JRiver set to madvr.

1. I have the GTX 1080Ti card and the display set to PC 380x2160 native is this better than setting to 4K x 2K 380x2160?
2. Desktop highest 32bit, RGB, Full, but I can only ever get 8bpc, it shows nothing higher, is this ok?
3. Whenever I play a DVD that requires deinterlazing, madvr only sometimes gets this right, sometimes turns deinterlacing on, sometimes not. If i turn off madvr and use the built in one from JR, it always plays DVDs correct, either turning on or off deinterlacing at the right time, problem is it looks no where near as good as madvr. Is the deinterlacing section in madvr broken or not? This has been one area of madvr that has bugged me for years, it seems to be such a manual on/off operation....

I hope I can get the answers required from the experts...Thank you....

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
post #1407 of 3082 Old 11-02-2018, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

set-up is:
Code:
MSI P45 Neo(1 PCI-E x16)
4 GB ram DDR2-800Mhz
450W CHIEFTEC GPS-450A

Quote:
Quote:
Oh ok... are you sure there is no fix of this? overclock for an example? or windows 8 as madshi suggested many times for madvr+htpc?
Personally, I think this machine is a bit underpowered for decoding x265. Also power supplies deteriorate over time so whether or not that will handle the new card running full power to decode and upscale is questionable. You can try it if you already have it but a core2duo is a bit shallow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockyAVS View Post
Hi,

thanks. Nice work! That´s exactly what i want to achieve.
However, it should be possible with using MadVR - i just received some information from madshi. MadVR is already able to detect the real movie AR and then it´s possible to react on it using profiles. So for each AR, a profile needs to be created. Within the profile, it´s possible to trigger an external script that sends the detected AR to my control system.
That´s the piece i need to work on right now. Basically, i need a small command to be envoked from the script that sends a data package to my control system handing over the AR.
Do you have any info on the script hooks to launch something external? I think this might be undocumented. Also, madVR is not 100% accurate in detecting black bars so it will be interesting to see how it handles mask engaging scripts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
I have a couple of questions using madvr please.
I only use BD and DVD rips. The projector JVC X9900. I use JRiver set to madvr.

1. I have the GTX 1080Ti card and the display set to PC 380x2160 native is this better than setting to 4K x 2K 380x2160?
2. Desktop highest 32bit, RGB, Full, but I can only ever get 8bpc, it shows nothing higher, is this ok?
3. Whenever I play a DVD that requires deinterlazing, madvr only sometimes gets this right, sometimes turns deinterlacing on, sometimes not. If i turn off madvr and use the built in one from JR, it always plays DVDs correct, either turning on or off deinterlacing at the right time, problem is it looks no where near as good as madvr. Is the deinterlacing section in madvr broken or not? This has been one area of madvr that has bugged me for years, it seems to be such a manual on/off operation....

I hope I can get the answers required from the experts...Thank you....
1) 3840x2160 is the resolution you want. It's up to you if you leave it at 60hz and dont care about slight judder or if you set to 3840x2160/24 for movies (or if you allow madVR to change it).
2) Yea, 4k/60/sRGB all you can get is 8bit for 18gb hdmi. If you do 4k/24/RGB you can increase the bit depth.
3) I really don't know. I also don't use jriver. But you also have deinterlacing options in the LAV filter chain that you could utilize before the renderer gets handed off the stream. Perhaps you can rip those files to disk and deinterlace them. What DVDs actually are interlaced? 99% of DVDs is film not really interlaced. Unless these are documentaries or something, it should just need inverse telecine not deinterlacing.

Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #1408 of 3082 Old 11-02-2018, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

2) Yea, 4k/60/sRGB all you can get is 8bit for 18gb hdmi. If you do 4k/24/RGB you can increase the bit depth.
I only use 4k/24/RGB but still can only select 8bit with my 1080Ti card, there is no other options in the dropdown box, why is this?

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
post #1409 of 3082 Old 11-02-2018, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
I only use 4k/24/RGB but still can only select 8bit with my 1080Ti card, there is no other options in the dropdown box, why is this?
Your epson is 10gb hdmi. Probably all it can handle. The capabilities are sent over the EDID negotiation process on initial HDMI handshake.

post #1410 of 3082 Old 11-02-2018, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Your epson is 10gb hdmi. Probably all it can handle. The capabilities are sent over the EDID negotiation process on initial HDMI handshake.
I dont have an Epson, its the JVC X9900

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
htpc build , madvr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page