AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Home Theater Computers (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/)
-   -   PowerDVD 16 Discussion (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/2379634-powerdvd-16-discussion.html)

qz3fwd 03-26-2016 01:21 AM

PowerDVD 16 Discussion

PDVD 16 trial is available.
Installed it today.
Not much new so far.
No UHDBD support though there are no PC UHDBD drives as of today.

JeffR1 03-26-2016 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qz3fwd (Post 42705586)
Installed it today.
Not much new so far.

Where are you getting the download for DVD 16, the one at myce.com was pulled and I still don't see any official release on the Cyberlink site for Power DVD 16 ?
There still is a direct download from RedFox, but I think that was overlooked.

qz3fwd 03-26-2016 02:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffR1 (Post 42706754)
Where are you getting the download for DVD 16, the one at myce.com was pulled and I still don't see any official release on the Cyberlink site for Power DVD 16 ?
There still is a direct download from RedFox, but I think that was overlooked.

Grab the downloader linked from Redfox and that will download PDVD16. The direct download to the installer is broken.

Onkyoman 03-26-2016 02:44 PM

Quote:

Installed it today.
Not much new so far.

If Cyberlink is to keep its word of providing UHD Blu-ray software, this means it may be in the distant future; maybe at the end of this year. Not surprising given the presumed complexity of the UHD Blu-ray playback on any platform. Computer engineers are people too.

JeffR1 03-26-2016 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qz3fwd (Post 42719946)
Grab the downloader linked from Redfox and that will download PDVD16. The direct download to the installer is broken.

My point was that I don't think Cyberlink wanted the trial out there yet, that's why the other links are now broken _ except for the one at RedFox.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onkyoman (Post 42720154)
If Cyberlink is to keep its word of providing UHD Blu-ray software, this means it may be in the distant future; maybe at the end of this year. Not surprising given the presumed complexity of the UHD Blu-ray playback on any platform. Computer engineers are people too.

Society and media put computer (or software) engineers on quite a pedestal.
They make us think that they can do anything in a matter of hours or minutes _ like the guy in the movie who can hack into any system on the planet to get the job done so the hero can have his day.
And we all know this is true, so what are they waiting for, they need to hurry up ! :D

Worf 03-26-2016 10:00 PM

Well. You need UHD compatible drives, first, in order to play the discs. Right now no drive has the logo to show they are compatible, though a bunch informally can read the discs. Reading is not the same as playing, since you only get useless encrypted files. To play requires the drive support the encryption so the drive can read the disc key, combine it with the drive key and partially decrypt the file. The player then uses the player key to generate the title key to finish the decryption.

There's only one drive out there that can do it - the one in the Samsung player.

The other thing is the AACS group - the keys needed for the drive and the player may be withheld on purpose. I'm guessing it may be 2017 before they relent when there are more players and titles.

bobyvee 03-30-2016 01:50 AM

Anydvd hd cinivia fix not working with pdvd16, when playing backed up disk

vj950 03-30-2016 08:47 AM

PDVD 15 vs 16

Any improvement or changes from PDVD 15 to 16? Why would I want to shell out more $$ to upgrade? (besides the support for new titles).

Worf 03-30-2016 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobyvee (Post 42828722)
Anydvd hd cinivia fix not working with pdvd16, when playing backed up disk

Given the newness of it, and the issues surrounding anydvd, it might be a while before support is added - the RedFox team has other priorities at the moment.

bobyvee 03-31-2016 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vj950 (Post 42835250)
Any improvement or changes from PDVD 15 to 16? Why would I want to shell out more $$ to upgrade? (besides the support for new titles).

The last PowerDVD version I used was 12. The trial version of 16 seems very stable and well done, they are obviously trying to make it a do-all media player, and its seems to work well at least compared to version 12.

DavidinCT 03-31-2016 05:27 PM

To those who still use WMC, does V16 have a WMC plugin still ?

v15 does still offer it...

bobyvee 04-01-2016 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidinCT (Post 42878922)
To those who still use WMC, does V16 have a WMC plugin still ?

v15 does still offer it...

I don't think so, it has PC mode and TV mode which is the 10 foot interface in a way, but its not really the same.
More like a PS3 cross media bar or even some sort of subtle Kodi skin (not as pretty)

gerall 04-01-2016 10:21 AM

any insight into sound quality comparisons between pdvd16 and mpc hc?

JeffR1 04-01-2016 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerall (Post 42894066)

It's digital, one isn't going to sound any better then the other.
Your DAC will make a difference though, but that isn't really an issue anymore.

Generally people use their AVR for DAC, it has a tendency to do a better job then the HTPC, IMO.

If you want better sound, get better speakers.

bobyvee 04-01-2016 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerall (Post 42894066)

Only using headphones, so can't say.

DavidinCT 04-03-2016 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobyvee (Post 42884378)
I don't think so, it has PC mode and TV mode which is the 10 foot interface in a way, but its not really the same.
More like a PS3 cross media bar or even some sort of subtle Kodi skin (not as pretty)

What I mean, if you open Windows Media Center after installing V15, you have a program group listed in the WMC 10 foot interface. Wondering if v16 offered the same.

I guess one could upgrade from v15 to v16 and it might keep the WMC plugin....

When it comes down to it, V15 plays all Blu-rays I have dumped at it, has a fair 10 foot interface. I don't see a need to upgrade to v16.... Now if it had UHD Blu-ray support (4K) then that would be a different story :-\

ES_Revenge 04-03-2016 02:06 PM

Wow if this doesn't play UHD then I don't get the point of it. I see very little difference in PDVD 13, 14, and 15. I have no idea what 16 will offer over any of those except a higher price. Granted I only use it as a BD player and nothing else, so I don't know if there's any value in the features I consider "fluff". Crap like TrueTheatre, Cyberlink Cloud, HEVC playback, ALAC, etc. (features they've added between versions) are all useless to me. So really, 13 functions just as well as 15 as a BD player and will as 16 as well I'm sure.

I don't understand how rehashing the same thing adding mainly minor features (which are available in all kinds of other free programs, incidentally), justifies a new version that will surely sell at $100+ for at least a few months...but hey that's just me.

Little silly they're releasing 16 w/o UHD BD support. Then again I guess if we go back to the first BD/HD-DVD version of PDVD--version 7--it was only available in the "Ultra" edition, regular version still only played DVDs. I wonder then if they'll have some enhanced (read: higher cost) version of 16 that does UHD? Maybe not at first as it seems they are not ready for prime time yet, but later this year?

bobyvee 04-04-2016 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidinCT (Post 42941794)
What I mean, if you open Windows Media Center after installing V15, you have a program group listed in the WMC 10 foot interface. Wondering if v16 offered the same.

I guess one could upgrade from v15 to v16 and it might keep the WMC plugin....

When it comes down to it, V15 plays all Blu-rays I have dumped at it, has a fair 10 foot interface. I don't see a need to upgrade to v16.... Now if it had UHD Blu-ray support (4K) then that would be a different story :-\

No program group appearing in WMC. I have TMT installed by the way and am looking for a replacement.

LastButNotLeast 04-05-2016 08:21 AM

Me, too, though TMT 5 works fine (oddly enough, 6 doesn't). So I'm about to try the demo.

BTW, if you link the player with MB Configurator, it's seamless:

http://i66.tinypic.com/60cz.jpg

bobyvee 04-06-2016 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast (Post 42997690)
Me, too, though TMT 5 works fine (oddly enough, 6 doesn't). So I'm about to try the demo.

BTW, if you link the player with MB Configurator, it's seamless:

http://i66.tinypic.com/60cz.jpg

Yes definitely I have done the same, works well

6athome 04-07-2016 04:45 AM

Is this part of Cyberlink? I am running Windows 8.1 pro with WMC,I use MC7 sleep timer and when I install Cyberlink 12 it prevents MC7 from working,anyone have a idea?

wiyosaya 04-23-2016 11:55 AM

Quote:

Installed it today.
Not much new so far.

There is at least one LG BR drive that supports UHDBD - please see this thread.

My apologies I don't have the time at this moment to give you the exact model number and firmware revision from the thread.

Also, I specifically asked the people at PowerDVD if 16.0 supports 4K UHD Blu-ray playback. They said that it does. Unfortunately, I cannot confirm that since I do not have the LG drive that is capable of reading UHDBD discs.

Worf 04-23-2016 10:17 PM

The drive can read the discs, but not necessarily play the disc. The difference is whether or not the drive can handle AACS 2.0 and has been programmed with the necessary keys for that part if the AACS handling. If it can't play, then you can't decrypt the discs for playback - you can only look at the encrypted files.

There is a chain of keys from the disc to the drive and player software that are all required before you can even think of playing UHD BDs.

JeffR1 04-23-2016 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiyosaya (Post 43513018)
There is at least one LG BR drive that supports UHDBD - please see this thread.

My apologies I don't have the time at this moment to give you the exact model number and firmware revision from the thread.

Also, I specifically asked the people at PowerDVD if 16.0 supports 4K UHD Blu-ray playback. They said that it does. Unfortunately, I cannot confirm that since I do not have the LG drive that is capable of reading UHDBD discs.

What's the person's name from your support ticket from Cyberlink that told you Power DVD 16 supports 4K UHD Blu-ray playback ?
I would like to have a chat with this person. :p

Who knows, maybe it does, but as Worf said, the drive(s) from LG have no AACS 2.0 authentication and therefor even if Power DVD 16 supports UHD Blu-ray, there is no way to test it.

Or I should say, all it does is freeze up the program and eventually it tells you the disc is corrupted after repeated tries and reboots.

Incidentally the drives that can see the files are WH16NS40 with a service code of NS50 and the European model WH16NS50.

EDIT:
Here is the last answer I got back from Cyberlink after inquiring about UHD Blu-ray support, it was answered by some guy named Ankush. The answer is dated, March 29, 2016...

Dear Jeffery,

Thank you for writing back.

Regarding your concern, I would like to inform you that We understood your's close concerns about new technology supports or not in current or future version of CyberLink products.

Currently, the Ultra HD Blu-ray technology is at pilot stage on PC platform, the development phase is different from Ultra HD Blu-ray standalone hardware player.

Our engineer team is studying the new Ultra HD Blu-ray movie feature for future product development on PC.

As previously mentioned, by company software development policy, to implement the feature or not, and any schedule information are internal information which is not available to the public.

LexInVA 04-24-2016 07:05 AM

Look at it this way, by the time we may get it, HDMI 2.0B and DisplayPort 1.4 might be the norm for GPUs, which means you're set for HDR. So, there's that. 100GB disc replication should also be up to acceptable yields by then, so that should also bring us something new and interesting with that capacity available.