• 1 Post By Charles R

post #1 of 23 Old 06-22-2016, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Kodi and Pi fans...

The Official Kodi Edition Raspberry Pi case looks rather nice. Surely worth an investment and a percentage of each sell is donated to cancer research. It's a limited edition so be sure to order yours before they are gone.

After looking long and hard for the ideal design for this case, we found it in FLIRC, a tiny company located deep in the heart of Silicon Valley. This beautiful case has an aluminum core sheathed in silver and black. It’s designed from the ground up for your living room with its clean lines and sleek colors, a perfect match for your TV and other media center devices.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |

Last edited by Charles R; 06-22-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 06-23-2016, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Thanks for the heads up, I ordered one.

post #3 of 23 Old 06-24-2016, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 07-05-2016, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropkick Murphy View Post
Thanks for the heads up, I ordered one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySkies View Post
Just ordered one as well.
Either of you guys receive it? How about a review? FYI: shipping is only $2.60 per USPS.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |

Last edited by Charles R; 07-05-2016 at 11:41 AM.
post #5 of 23 Old 07-05-2016, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I got mine 3-4 days after I ordered it. It's constructed really well. The brushed aluminum case looks great and the top is a nice piece of thin machined plastic with the silkscreened KODI logo on it. If you need to remove your SD card you would need a pair of tweezers, or open the case because the end of the card sits flush with the outside edge but that wasn't a deal breaker for me. I also bought one of his Flirc IR controls and am really pleased with that. I've been hearing about these for quite some time but never tried one until now. I used an old Sony DVD remote that I had lying around and programmed that to control my Pi with the KODI template in about 90 seconds.

This is definitely the nicest Pi case I have seen, so even if he runs out of this limited edition you can still buy the same case without the logo from the website.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160705_205109.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	399.2 KB
ID:	1529689  

Last edited by Dropkick Murphy; 07-05-2016 at 06:52 PM.
post #6 of 23 Old 07-06-2016, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
Either of you guys receive it? How about a review? FYI: shipping is only $2.60 per USPS.
I got mine last Saturday. Very high quality—better than I expected. Fits my Pi 3 perfectly. I'll take some pics and post 'em.
post #7 of 23 Old 07-06-2016, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

I broke down and ordered one. Looking around I noticed they have a plain top version for $15 but I couldn't resist the branding. I'm not even use a Pi now... oh well.

Last Pi 3 I had I purchased this aluminum case in black. The power coating was chipping off so I returned it and order the silver version figuring it wouldn't be painted. Sure enough they painted it metallic silver and it looked rather cheap.

post #8 of 23 Old 07-10-2016, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If you need to remove your SD card you would need a pair of tweezers, or open the case because the end of the card sits flush with the outside edge but that wasn't a deal breaker for me.
This ended up being a deal breaker for me as I tend to access the card on a semi-regular basis (last couple metal cases I had most of the screw holes stripped out). Also the NIC's lights don't match up to the holes in the case since they were moved on the Pi 3. Not a biggie but I think they should have reworked the case for the Pi 3 before all the fanfare. Fry's started carrying one of the official plastic cases and I decided to embrace its geekiness.

I will say they cancelled my order without issue. He seems like a pretty good guy. If they rework it I'll probably end up ordering one.

Last edited by Charles R; 07-10-2016 at 05:40 PM.
post #9 of 23 Old 07-12-2016, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
If you need to remove your SD card you would need a pair of tweezers, or open the case because the end of the card sits flush with the outside edge but that wasn't a deal breaker for me.
Quote:
This ended up being a deal breaker for me as I tend to access the card on a semi-regular basis (last couple metal cases I had most of the screw holes stripped out). Also the NIC's lights don't match up to the holes in the case since they were moved on the Pi 3.
I use a piece of Scotch tape on the card as a means to pull it out

post #10 of 23 Old 07-12-2016, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikkuranus View Post
I use a piece of Scotch tape on the card as a means to pull it out
I agree it's no biggie. I saw it introduced in Kodi's twitter feed and thought it was a (brand) new case. Turned out it's a Pi 2 case with a new top... since I only ordered it to support Kodi I'll wait for the refresh.

post #11 of 23 Old 07-14-2016, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone running Ubuntu on their Pi 3? Looking around I see there is a semi-native Ubuntu and a recompiled Ubuntu MATE. Typically I try to go as native as possible but I think the MATE version has been tweaked (a little more) for the Pi 3 so I'm not sure.

I know I could use Raspbian however I'm some what familiar with Ubuntu and its various features I'm looking to implement.

post #12 of 23 Old 10-12-2016, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I updated from my 1st gen RPi B+ to RPi3. I ordered the Canakit which came with the RPi, case, micro SD card with NOOBs, and power supply. Put everything together in about 1 minute, took a few more to set up NOOBs, I opted for OSMC since I've used it in the past and been happy with it.

It is a lot more streamlined than my old setup the RPi3 has an integrated WiFi. So I don't need a powered USB hub for the WiFi dongle. It's just a small black box with a power cord and an HDMI coming out of it. Very small and unobtrusive. And I can control it completely with my TV's remote via HDMI-CEC. That simplicity is very important in the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor).

Using the "unofficial" SALTS addon, I integrated it with the Kodi TV Library. It act's as a pseudo-PVR for me, picking up the latest episodes of all our favorite TV shows.

I stream everything, usually in 720 since that's the resolution of my 42" Samsung plasma. The streaming is far better in the RPi3 than it was in my old B+. The old B+ was so bad that I usually just downloaded everything onto a 1.5TB HDD and then watched it. Very time consuming. But now I can stream everything in 720 and stereo sound.

It may not be the high-end HTPCs that some have here, but I wanted it more as a replacement for the cable TV DVR that my wife was clinging to so that we could finally ditch the cable TV and save some money.
post #13 of 23 Old 10-12-2016, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked: 1716
You know, it's amazing how useful/stable/quick Kodi is on the Pi3.
I run the alpha Krypton build of Kodi... everything just works- even the scraping is flawless.

It's no exaggeration when I say the sub $50 Pi3 (including case/power supply, heat sinks, etc..) performs as well as a media player as my Dune Smart HD and my PopcornHour A-500.

Only thing the Pi3 can't do is HEVC (h.265) playback without delays.... so for that you buy the $60 (including case + power supply) ODROID C2 which has absolutely no issues with h.265 playback on Kodi.

"we're still here!"
post #14 of 23 Old 10-12-2016, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
I run the alpha Krypton build of Kodi... everything just works- even the scraping is flawless.

It's no exaggeration when I say the sub $50 Pi3 (including case/power supply, heat sinks, etc..) performs as well as a media player as my Dune Smart HD and my PopcornHour A-500.

Only thing the Pi3 can't do is HEVC (h.265) playback without delays.... so for that you buy the $60 (including case + power supply) ODROID C2 which has absolutely no issues with h.265 playback on Kodi.
I just recently got a Pi3 to play with but I'm considering going with the C2 for my TVs that don't get a Shield. I'm wanting to stick with Android everywhere if I can. Are you using Android or Linux on your C2?
post #15 of 23 Old 10-12-2016, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked: 645
If it were not for the lack of HD audio passthru/bitstream.........I would stick with my Pi3 running Kodi over any of the other 4x priced options. I swear the PQ of Kodi on the Pi3 is better than on the Shield.
post #16 of 23 Old 10-12-2016, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
Are you using Android or Linux on your C2?
If you want info on the Linux side click on the link in my signature. There is an Android port which I'm not that familiar with... the first post links to their forum where Android is covered.
ajhieb likes this.

post #17 of 23 Old 10-12-2016, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the info Charles.
post #18 of 23 Old 10-12-2016, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just recently got a Pi3 to play with but I'm considering going with the C2 for my TVs that don't get a Shield. I'm wanting to stick with Android everywhere if I can. Are you using Android or Linux on your C2?
I tried both, went back to straight Linux/Kodi as there was really nothing in the Android package that I wanted.
It boots slightly faster in Linux too.

"we're still here!"
post #19 of 23 Old 10-12-2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
I tried both, went back to straight Linux/Kodi as there was really nothing in the Android package that I wanted.
It boots slightly faster in Linux too.
My only real attachment to Android is DRM content. I'm selling my Ceton cards, moving over to SiliconDust and hopefully ditching WMC. Unless I'm mistaken I won't be able to do DRM content on Linux. Moving from Media Browser 2.6.2 to Kodi has taken a little getting used to but its growing on me. But I gotta have my DRM stuff working since TWC flags almost all of their sports channels and I gotta have my live sports. And while the SD DVR would be icing on the cake for me, I hardly ever record content anymore so the Live TV app will suffice for now.
post #20 of 23 Old 10-13-2016, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
My only real attachment to Android is DRM content.
If you are going to use Android I would bite the bullet and stay with Shields. If price is an issue wait for the next sale (free controller, close-out, etc). Who knows perhaps a price cut with the new model due out anytime. You might pay a little more but over its lifetime I'm guessing it would be well worth it in features and supported apps.

post #21 of 23 Old 10-13-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
If you are going to use Android I would bite the bullet and stay with Shields. If price is an issue wait for the next sale (free controller, close-out, etc). Who knows perhaps a price cut with the new model due out anytime. You might pay a little more but over its lifetime I'm guessing it would be well worth it in features and supported apps.
Reply moved to the ODROID thread where it is more on-topic. (apologies for slightly derailing things here)
post #22 of 23 Old 10-15-2016, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

I love Kodi (OSMC) on my Pi3. I bought the Canakit off Amazon.com - came with the Pi3, SD card loaded with NOOBS, power source, case, and heat sinks. Quick and easy to put together and get running. I have it set up to act as a sort-of-PVR for all of our TV shows and the streaming is almost flawless.

I FINALLY got my wife to cancel the cable TV last week. She had been clinging to the cable company DVR for years. To ease her transition, I moved my Pi3 into the bedroom - she likes watching her shows (The Real Housewives, Dr. Phil, Judge Judy, etc) while relaxing in bed. After a bumpy start, she's starting to master Kodi.

However, this left me without an OTT box in the family room. So I dug out my old 1st gen Pi B+ (had been experimenting with making a MAME out of it) and reloaded Kodi (OSMC) on it. I was in a hurry to watch the FSU/Wake Forest football game, so I only loaded Kodi and the 2 addons I really needed. I am pleasantly surprised at how well it streams in this minimal configuration. When I used it before, I had it loaded down with a lot of addons I never used. The performance suffered for it. Now, it's a bit slower on the commands than the Pi3, but it works surprisingly well.

Right now, I am enjoying the Cubs/Dodgers playoff game without problems...

Last edited by Dennis_D; 10-15-2016 at 06:38 PM.
post #23 of 23 Old 10-16-2016, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^ Dennis,
I also have an original 1st gen Pi in the master bedroom, I've tried to upgrade it to a newer Pi a few times... but my wife has threatened bodily harm if I even look at it sideways
She can literally operate it in her sleep, as you mentioned- it's slow responding to commands, but once streaming starts... it's flawless.

If you're interested in MAME via Pi... I made a retro gaming table with a Pi and a $10 Ikea table a few months back, the Pi is perfect for MAME:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/118-ga...ing-table.html

"we're still here!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page