4Likes

post #1 of 34 Old 08-29-2016, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1013 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Blue Screens of death!!

My primary PC is having issues where it will work for about 5 minutes and then blue screen to dump memory to disk then restart, sometimes doing a chkdsk before re-entering Windows 7 Professional, sometimes not. At one point it showed issues with Python so I uninstalled Sickbeard, which I do not use any longer, which relies on Python, IIR. I then did a repair install of Python itself. Things seamed better for a bit but then the issue returned. I'm thinking of doing a repair installation of Windows from the ISO on USB I have..

Any suggestions? Is this a RAM issue? SSD failure? Will the repair installation be enough. I'm perplexed.

TIA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 08-29-2016, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Most of the time when I see this type of behavior, it is because the heat sink grease has hardened and no longer effective.
post #3 of 34 Old 08-29-2016, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 0
It would be usefull for both of us if you'd post us the error code it displays. The one that looks like it's a never ending combination of 0x00000.....

Then we can make out what error it is. Also, if it displays a thing in this format under, post it too. eg. INIT_WORDS_HERE_ANYTHING
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 08-29-2016, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleDeer View Post
It would be usefull for both of us if you'd post us the error code it displays. The one that looks like it's a never ending combination of 0x00000.....

Then we can make out what error it is. Also, if it displays a thing in this format under, post it too. eg. INIT_WORDS_HERE_ANYTHING
Good point. I'm at work right now but next time it does it and I happen to catch it in the act, I'll snap a picture with my phone and post it here. I have no idea what all those Hex codes mean so I didn't figure they meant much but if someone here knows how to decipher that cryptic information that would be a great help in figuring out what is the the issue.

post #5 of 34 Old 08-29-2016, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
Most of the time when I see this type of behavior, it is because the heat sink grease has hardened and no longer effective.
This build is about a year old. This has been occurring on an increasingly frequent to now every 5 to 10 minutes basis for about a month. The only thing not new in this build is the SSD which is about 4 years old now. It is a Crucial 120Gb model. Maybe I'll update it.. I've got a Samsung Evo 850 240Gb NIB already right now. Just need the time to do it!

post #6 of 34 Old 08-29-2016, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Right, given it is only a year old, it is unlikely my guess is the issue.

I have had SSDs fail on me. I had an OCZ that got flaky and would crash my system, finally it died altogether.
Sammy2 and gonzo90017 like this.
post #7 of 34 Old 08-29-2016, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
Right, given it is only a year old, it is unlikely my guess is the issue.

I have had SSDs fail on me. I had an OCZ that got flaky and would crash my system, finally it died altogether.
I think I'll be swapping that SSD as soon as I can!

post #8 of 34 Old 08-29-2016, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked: 1613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
Good point. I'm at work right now but next time it does it and I happen to catch it in the act, I'll snap a picture with my phone and post it here.
Assuming you still have minidumps from the previous BSODs, you can use BlueScreenView to view information on each crash, including the STOP code and the SHORT_ERROR_MESSAGE describing the reason for the crash:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

If you don't have dumps, you can at least open the Windows Event Viewer by typing Event Viewer into the Start Menu search box and then looking at the list of recent errors. The "Critical" section only lists failures to shut down properly, while the "Error" section lists the actual crashes that might have caused an improper shutdown.
post #9 of 34 Old 08-29-2016, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
This build is about a year old. This has been occurring on an increasingly frequent to now every 5 to 10 minutes basis for about a month. The only thing not new in this build is the SSD which is about 4 years old now. It is a Crucial 120Gb model. Maybe I'll update it.. I've got a Samsung Evo 850 240Gb NIB already right now. Just need the time to do it!
I received a pair of Seagate sas drive which would do the same thing without fail. Swap hard drives and the system has been reliable 5 years now.
post #10 of 34 Old 08-30-2016, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Like mentioned error code is key here.

It could be a few things and error code will give us more input.

I had an odd a while back and it wasn't hardware it was AVG software causing the issue. Removed it and hasn't blue screened since.

"You’re KILLIN’ ME Smalls! "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #11 of 34 Old 08-30-2016, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 0
If you're using an SSD, make sure if you take another drive to the test to set the legacy mode to off/AHCI in the UEFI BIOS
post #12 of 34 Old 08-30-2016, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 473
It sounds like a heat related issue. BSOD these days are typically caused by hardware failure, not software, as Microsoft puts in protections against driver failures so that a driver crash will not bring down the entire OS. I would re-check the heat sink of CPU even if it is only a year old.
Brian Hampton likes this.
post #13 of 34 Old 08-30-2016, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
It sounds like a heat related issue. BSOD these days are typically caused by hardware failure, not software, as Microsoft puts in protections against driver failures so that a driver crash will not bring down the entire OS. I would re-check the heat sink of CPU even if it is only a year old.
That's why I always go there first. Maybe my guess was right after all.
post #14 of 34 Old 08-31-2016, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

I'm listening to all the suggestions but just shut the machine off until I can do something about it this coming weekend. I will keep you posted but if there's more suggestions I'd appreciate it.

BTW, how to check the heat sink as those seem to be always tightly glued to the CPU whenever I take apart an old machine.

post #15 of 34 Old 09-01-2016, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 473
There is no glue. That is just thermo paste which is easy to take apart. Be prepared that you need new thermo paste when you put them back. Also a clogged heat sink will make it less effective.
post #16 of 34 Old 09-01-2016, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just take the retainers loose and give the heat sink a little twist. It sticks by suction, usually a little twist will break the seal.
post #17 of 34 Old 09-05-2016, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Any BSOD needs a few questions asked before pulling it apart.

Is the system overclocked at all? (RAM, CPU, GPU)

Have you looked at your operating temps with a program like HWMonitor? Newer systems throttle down at extreme heat and don't BSOD unless something else is going on.

Have you tried running memtest86+ using the DOS boot CD/USB drive?

Error codes on crash are key. Any WHEA errors will be stored, look at those and look at your crash reporting.
post #18 of 34 Old 09-05-2016, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Update the firmware on the ssd. IIRC, Crucial had BSOD problems with one of their firmwares.

DIY Sound Group: Information and Tips
post #19 of 34 Old 09-06-2016, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
In my experience random Blue Screens can be caused by a few things, almost always hardware. If anything is overclocked it should be set back to stock settings. I'm kind of surprised nobody's mentioned the Power Supply, maybe that's because moderns PSU's are generally pretty reliable, but still if you're getting a lot of random errors the PSU is the first thing I'd check. If you're getting the same errors over and over it you need to try to track down what piece of hardware is failing. That mostly involves swapping out parts until the problems go away. Of course, don't rule out the possibility that it's the Motherboard.

--
Eric B. Smith
The future keeps telling us what the past was about. You make the past mean different things by what you do with the time that comes after.
post #20 of 34 Old 09-08-2016, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
In my experience random Blue Screens can be caused by a few things, almost always hardware. If anything is overclocked it should be set back to stock settings. I'm kind of surprised nobody's mentioned the Power Supply, maybe that's because moderns PSU's are generally pretty reliable, but still if you're getting a lot of random errors the PSU is the first thing I'd check. If you're getting the same errors over and over it you need to try to track down what piece of hardware is failing. That mostly involves swapping out parts until the problems go away. Of course, don't rule out the possibility that it's the Motherboard.
This is a brand new build except for the SSD.

post #21 of 34 Old 09-08-2016, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post
Update the firmware on the ssd. IIRC, Crucial had BSOD problems with one of their firmwares.
I do believe that I did do that when new but that was in 2012 probably. I think I'll just clone the drive and expand it while I'm at it.

Going to start with doing this this weekend as I'll finally have time to tackle it I think.

My Emby library is looking pretty thin right now as it's all on this PC.

post #22 of 34 Old 09-08-2016, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
This is a brand new build except for the SSD.
Just because it is brand new does not preclude the possibility of a hardware failure. A small percent of all new components will die soon after assembly; most will be caught in Quality Checking at the factory, but some fraction of those will go out to customers. It is still possible that you have a piece of hardware that is simply bad.

--
Eric B. Smith
The future keeps telling us what the past was about. You make the past mean different things by what you do with the time that comes after.
post #23 of 34 Old 09-08-2016, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Just because it is brand new does not preclude the possibility of a hardware failure. A small percent of all new components will die soon after assembly; most will be caught in Quality Checking at the factory, but some fraction of those will go out to customers. It is still possible that you have a piece of hardware that is simply bad.
...and out of warranty as this is a build from earlier this year but been running fine all this time so I'm going to take care of the oldest piece in the set up first which is only 120Gb and needs an upgrade anyhow. If that doesn't fix it I'll move down the chain. I just don't have a lot of time to muck with it so I hope it is simple..

post #24 of 34 Old 09-08-2016, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
...and out of warranty as this is a build from earlier this year but been running fine all this time so I'm going to take care of the oldest piece in the set up first which is only 120Gb and needs an upgrade anyhow. If that doesn't fix it I'll move down the chain. I just don't have a lot of time to muck with it so I hope it is simple..
i would agree with you and say that the SSD is most likely the issue. i actually have an older intel x25-m g2 that started to develop a similar issue after years of use and strangely enough a firmware update fixed it completely (as someone else advised above) although SSD failure at this point seems more likely. not to mention, you could just replace it with an 850 evo for pretty cheap or go for a 850 pro for better durability

if you can run memtest and see no errors occuring, it is not likely to be a memory issue

no need to remove the CPU, just check the temps with one of many monitoring programs - if the temps are normal at load, then the thermal paste is not your issue. I would make sure that your heatsink is clean, especially the intel heat sinks tend to get clogged up with dust pretty easily and a can of air is always a good idea there

another simple test is to also run chkdsk on all of your drives, my last WMC/W8 issue was a bad HDD used for recordings, chkdsk revealed the problem pretty quickly
post #25 of 34 Old 09-09-2016, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You can download and use Stablebit Scanner for free, I think it works for 30 days or something like that.
post #26 of 34 Old 09-09-2016, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2188 Post(s)
Liked: 2381
Have you tried disconnecting any unnecessary USB devices? I have an old external DVD drive that will cause both of my Win7 PC to BSOD at random intervals when it is connected to them. Maybe you have something like that going on.
post #27 of 34 Old 10-09-2016, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

I put a new SSD in finally.. been real busy around here.. So it has blue screened a few times and I suspect an issue with my RAM. See attached crash report below.

TIA.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Crash List.zip (5.1 KB, 7 views)

post #28 of 34 Old 10-09-2016, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Funny.. I see talk all the time about BSOD issues but never really experience the problem. My systems run 24/7 without a problem. I guess I'm just lucky.
post #29 of 34 Old 10-09-2016, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Same here until now.

So what do you think?

post #30 of 34 Old 10-09-2016, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked: 1613
Have you run Memtest86+ to check your RAM? If it passes, then it's probably not the RAM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page