Flexraid I made a mistake Help! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-11-2016, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Flexraid I made a mistake Help!

One of my hard drives went missing and obviously I did the replacement wrong I manually removed the missing drive put in a new one with the same drive letter "Q" and added it to the pool. I believe I should have went to restore instead. Now I have two drive Q's showing up in my pool and can not remove one

I've tried to remove the drive from the storage pool but it tells me Please commit the currently pending operations before attempting to remove a drive that has already been commited to the RAID set!

Not sure what to do I just want to remove the new "Q" drive than go back and restore the old "Q" drive to the new hard drive.

Can someone walk me through the steps to do this as simple as possible so I don't screw it up further?

Also what steps do I need to do to be able to read that old "Q" drive on another computer?

Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-11-2016, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Liked: 793
I think the developer likes to keep it non-intuitive so he can charge the support fees to walk you through it.

post #3 of 10 Old 09-14-2016, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 31
What was wrong with the original drive?

If the original drive is still functional, simply delete the pool and start over.

Nothing needs to be done to a drive to be readable. All working drives can be moved to another computer will are readable without doing anything. That's a benefit of using Flex, as files are only written to a single drive. Deleting the pool you simply end up with a bunch of data drives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-21-2016, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

I did end up deleting the configuration and uninstalling flexraid and updated to the latest version of Flexraid. One of the drives was bad which got me into this trouble in the first place, when I went to restore it from the PPU it would not finish because the files were corrupted Now that I have my drives back and I am going over what was lost I notice that some of the music albums are missing some songs some of the movie folders have meta data and no movie or the other way around. Based on your assumption that all of the data was together on each drive what happen to those songs and movies in the folders that still appear? I thought the data was spread out over several drives which would explain this?

Thanks for your help
post #5 of 10 Old 09-21-2016, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm not sure what he meant about files written to a single drive. They can be spread across drives like you assumed. Sorry for your loss...

I no longer trust FlexRAID. I went with StableBit DrivePool and SnapRAID with StableBit Drive Scanner running. I bought a new 8x SAS card to double my capacity and used that as a time to rethink what I'm doing.

I trust Drive Scanner enough to risk not even running RAID. It links to DrivePool and will begin removing files from a disk it detects as bad to the other pooled drives. There is also the option to duplicate data by folder so my picture archive gets it, but my movies and TV shows don't.

Of course anything that is important enough gets a proper back up locally and off site. Never trust RAID as a backup.

post #6 of 10 Old 09-21-2016, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
I'm not sure what he meant about files written to a single drive. They can be spread across drives like you assumed. Sorry for your loss...

I no longer trust FlexRAID. I went with StableBit DrivePool and SnapRAID with StableBit Drive Scanner running. I bought a new 8x SAS card to double my capacity and used that as a time to rethink what I'm doing.

I trust Drive Scanner enough to risk not even running RAID. It links to DrivePool and will begin removing files from a disk it detects as bad to the other pooled drives. There is also the option to duplicate data by folder so my picture archive gets it, but my movies and TV shows don't.

Of course anything that is important enough gets a proper back up locally and off site. Never trust RAID as a backup.
Thanks Brian

What issues have you had with flexraid? Are there any guides to setup or that discusses StableBit DrivePool and SnapRAID with StableBit Drive Scanner more as I maybe open to changing. Flexraid is easy to screw up which I did. although I would have thought the PPU would have saved some of my data but was corrupted for some reason?
post #7 of 10 Old 09-21-2016, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPictureman View Post
Thanks Brian

What issues have you had with flexraid? Are there any guides to setup or that discusses StableBit DrivePool and SnapRAID with StableBit Drive Scanner more as I maybe open to changing. Flexraid is easy to screw up which I did. although I would have thought the PPU would have saved some of my data but was corrupted for some reason?
Someone wrote a very thorough guide in this forum. I'm not going to try to find it while on mobile, but it shouldn't be too hard to search for here.

FlexRAID likes to sync the dying disk to the ppu. It you don't catch the failure early then your ppu can become useless. FlexRAID has a lot of support here a few years ago. It was free and solved some issues. Now it isn't free and you'll get charged if you need support. It is also less than intuitive to interact with.

post #8 of 10 Old 09-22-2016, 01:21 PM

RAID 5, for example, writes data across all of the drives in the pool. So a single large file is written to all of the drives. Loose any one drive, and the the file is gone.

FlexRaid writes each file to a single drive regardless of how many drives are in the pool. It does not spread a single file across multiple drives.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-23-2016, 03:06 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter View Post
RAID 5, for example, writes data across all of the drives in the pool. So a single large file is written to all of the drives. Loose any two drives, and the the file is gone.
Fixed that for you.

Quote:
FlexRaid writes each file to a single drive regardless of how many drives are in the pool. It does not spread a single file across multiple drives.
But if my understanding is correct, the pooling function can spread a single folder over multiple drives which would make it look like files are missing if you are looking at individual drives, instead of the entire pool.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-23-2016, 09:41 AM

Thanks, although I don't know why I even added that part as it's not relevant to my example.

In any case, you are correct. If you are using folders, you could have folders on one, some, or all of the drives. It would depend on how it's configured to use free space and when/if data was added to the folder. If the folder was present on a single drive when that drive was added to the pool and nothing new was added, then that folder will only be present on that drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page