AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Is DVDFab Finished?

Is DVDFab over? It seems they are not going to pursue AACS 2.0 decryption,

Quote:
The company behind the popular DVDFab software has announced it will not be supporting decryption of the enhanced Advanced Access Content System that will be used to protect new Ultra HD (4K UHD) Blu-ray discs. The announcement comes just a day after rival copying software company SlySoft confirmed its closure.

dvdfSlySoft was a company that gained a reputation for producing software designed to circumvent copyright protection mechanisms. Among them was AnyDVD, a device driver for Windows which allowed users to decrypt DVDs and Blu-ray discs on the fly.

Under pressure from AACS LA, a decryption licensing outfit founded by a group of powerful Hollywood movie studios and various technology partners, SlySoft first went dark and then announced its closure this week.

And now, in the space of just a couple of days, another DVD/Blu-ray copying software company also appears to be feeling the heat.

Like SlySoft, China-based Fengtao Software has also been involved in a dispute with AACS LA and in 2014 was the subject of a preliminary injunction after a court found that DVDFab violates the DMCA’s anti-circumvention clause. In 2015 a federal court in New York extended the injunction, further pressuring the company.

Then yesterday, just a day after the closure of SlySoft, Fengtao dropped a bombshell of its own. In a press release sent to Myce the company announced that DVDFab will not be updated to crack the Advanced Access Content System encryption that will be present in the next generation of 4K UHD Blu-ray discs.

“The next version of AACS Copy Protection accompanying those newly released Ultra HD Blu-ray titles is the version 2.0 of Advanced Access Content System. According to a document called AACS 2.0 Draft, the new copy protection requires the Ultra HD Blu-ray players to support two AACS 2.0 functionalities, one named ‘basic’ and the other referred as ‘enhanced’,” the company said in a statement.

“Fengtao Software Inc. makes it clear that the company will not decrypt or circumvent AACS 2.0 in the days to come. This is in accordance with AACS-LA, (which has not made public the specifications for AACS 2.0), the BDA and the movie studios.”

Noting that the debate over copying commercial movie discs for home use has “raged on for decades”, Fengtao says that the practice of decrypting copy protection technology has done so too and is not likely to stop in the foreseeable future. Even the fact that AACS 2.0 requires an Internet connection for Ultra HD Blu-ray discs to be played back for the first time is unlikely to stop the problem.

“Now here comes the question: will there be a solution to crack AACS 2.0? Likely, there will be, publicly or secretly,” the company says. Nevertheless, Fengtao insists that it won’t be behind the effort.

The company won’t be shutting down though. Fengtao says that it will concentrate its development efforts on DVDFab and its support for editing 4K/UHD content.
https://torrentfreak.com/dvdfab-says...-discs-160226/

My build thread

My 8 x RE XXX 18" Subwoofers, IB build
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Do you know what Nemesis means?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-19-2016, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2221 Post(s)
Liked: 1354
They are not over. They've just made a public statement that they are not going to pursue a crack for UHD disks. It keeps the MPAA and their own user base off their backs.

Just recently they were almost shut down by the MPAA. Somehow they managed to stay in business and regain access to the US market. With that so close on their heels, why wave a new red flag in front of their opponents once again. Then there is: once upon a time they promised their user base a crack for Cinavia. It took them 5yr to come up with a workable solution which still does not encompass all Cinavia infected titles. Their user base has been on their backs all this time, demanding the promised solution.

After that experience, if I were them I would do the same -- make a statement that basically says, don't bug us we're not going to do it. What they say they are not doing, publicly and what they actually do in private are 2 different things. 5 yr from now there may be a new DVD Fab UHD Copy module.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3 of 9 Old 09-20-2016, 03:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Thanks for the update.

My build thread

My 8 x RE XXX 18" Subwoofers, IB build
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Do you know what Nemesis means?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-20-2016, 04:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Slysoft may have closed their doors but they reopened them as Redfox

Trinnov Altitude 32, LCR JBL M2, JBL LSR 708i, 705i, Q-SYS Core 110f, Amps- QSC CXD4.2Q, 4.3Q, 4.5Q
Kaleidescape Strato, Zapitti 4K HDR Duo, Xbox One X, 8TB Tivo Roamio Pro,
JVC RS600 + ISCO IIIL, 158" 2.40:1 AT screen, Calman 5 Enthusiast, i1 Pro 2, i1 Display Pro, Spyder 5, 3D LUT Box
Oppo UDP-203, BDP-105, Onkyo DAC-1000s, Onkyo DP-X1 DAP, QNAP TVS-871
post #5 of 9 Old 09-20-2016, 05:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwiggi View Post
Slysoft may have closed their doors but they reopened them as Redfox
I don't think they are doing anything with UHD ripping any time soon either.

post #6 of 9 Old 09-20-2016, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Of course they aren't. There is no way to play back UHD Blu-rays on PC yet, so there's no way to crack it easily.

In the meantime, they're using this time to reorganize and get things set up and running smoothly again rather than the busy rush to get things working on a basic level.

But dvdfab promised they will not pursue UHD BDs to avoid getting used to oblivion like what happened to slysoft.
cmdrdredd likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-21-2016, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Doesn't DVDfab just repurpose what AnyDVD creates first?
post #8 of 9 Old 09-22-2016, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
Doesn't DVDfab just repurpose what AnyDVD creates first?
Unless I'm not understanding your question, no. DVDFab is a standalone product.

AnyDVD decrypts a disc and you then use another tool to rip/convert, whatever. DVDFab is an all-in-one tool.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-24-2016, 11:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2221 Post(s)
Liked: 1354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter View Post
Unless I'm not understanding your question, no. DVDFab is a standalone product.

AnyDVD decrypts a disc and you then use another tool to rip/convert, whatever. DVDFab is an all-in-one tool.
It is a common perception on forums that only AnyDVD's hackers are capable of cracking the DRM and the other companies like MakeMKV and DVD Fab simply steal their code for their own products.

Justified or not, whose to know. But it seems to me that if chinese hackers are good enough to hack US gov't systems and just about any US corporation they want -- how difficult would BD DRM be for them.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page