Possible to Rack Mount a HDHomerun Prime? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 03-19-2017, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Possible to Rack Mount a HDHomerun Prime?

I am looking to pick up one or two HDHomerun Primes. I'd like to put them into my server rack. I suppose I could buy a 1U or 2U shelf, but that would mess up the asthetics, as well as the airflow for the rack.

If there a mod/hack or something That would allow me to rack mount one or two HDHomerun Primes?

Thanks!

Sean Hull

Marantz SR8002 | PS4 | Harmony Hub | Mitsubishi 92" DLP | 60TB Emby Server | Fire Cube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-19-2017, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy49 View Post
I am looking to pick up one or two HDHomerun Primes. I'd like to put them into my server rack. I suppose I could buy a 1U or 2U shelf, but that would mess up the asthetics, as well as the airflow for the rack.

If there a mod/hack or something That would allow me to rack mount one or two HDHomerun Primes?

Thanks!
I think at one point they actually sold a 1u rack that had 2 primes mounted in it (6 tuners total) but I would venture a guess those are hard to come by these days. (never hurts to look though) But I think most people are just going with a shelf. Might also check on some of the case-mod forums and see if you can find a recommended place to get a faceplate CNC'ed for a reasonable price.

I have mine in the back of my rack since I haven't had to touch it since getting it installed.
post #3 of 23 Old 03-19-2017, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
I think at one point they actually sold a 1u rack that had 2 primes mounted in it (6 tuners total) but I would venture a guess those are hard to come by these days. (never hurts to look though) But I think most people are just going with a shelf. Might also check on some of the case-mod forums and see if you can find a recommended place to get a faceplate CNC'ed for a reasonable price.

I have mine in the back of my rack since I haven't had to touch it since getting it installed.
Yeah, I saw some of the older ones. Price isn't great, but I'm not sure it's compatable with their app and other things. They have a rack mount commercial version, but they start at $1500 which is WAY out of the budget!

Sean Hull

Marantz SR8002 | PS4 | Harmony Hub | Mitsubishi 92" DLP | 60TB Emby Server | Fire Cube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 03-19-2017, 10:39 PM

As far as I know, the old one was just two of the normal primes that were just in a different chassis, so I don't know why they wouldn't work with the app, but that said, they're still going to be tough to track down.

If you're hand with a dremel, you could order an empty 1u chassis and cut out your own. But if you're looking for a step by step guide/tutorial for mounting a Prime, I doubt you'll find one.
post #5 of 23 Old 03-19-2017, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
As far as I know, the old one was just two of the normal primes that were just in a different chassis, so I don't know why they wouldn't work with the app, but that said, they're still going to be tough to track down.

If you're hand with a dremel, you could order an empty 1u chassis and cut out your own. But if you're looking for a step by step guide/tutorial for mounting a Prime, I doubt you'll find one.
That's not a bad idea, I may give it a try

Sean Hull

post #6 of 23 Old 03-22-2017, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4156 Post(s)
Liked: 2384
Middle Atlantic will probably make you a custom rack shelf:
http://www.middleatlantic.com/resour...h-lookup.aspx#
post #7 of 23 Old 03-22-2017, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Yeah, I have one. 2 units in a rackmount chassis.
post #8 of 23 Old 03-22-2017, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Boulanger View Post
Did you buy an empty case, something like Small Rack Mount Chasis from BUD

Or order something from somewhere? Pics?

Sean Hull

post #9 of 23 Old 03-23-2017, 03:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Did you buy an empty case, something like Small Rack Mount Chasis from BUD

Or order something from somewhere? Pics?
No, sorry for being vague. I have one of the units sold in a rackmount chassis. If you open it it is 2 separate units inside.
post #10 of 23 Old 03-23-2017, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
No, sorry for being vague. I have one of the units sold in a rackmount chassis. If you open it it is 2 separate units inside.
I don't believe SiliconDust sells a rackmount one that isn't the commercial. I know they had an older one that was much wider and would take two CableCards. Is it a custom chasis?

Sean Hull

post #11 of 23 Old 03-23-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
I don't believe SiliconDust sells a rackmount one that isn't the commercial. I know they had an older one that was much wider and would take two CableCards. Is it a custom chasis?
This is the SD unit in question.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16815345009 Note in the side profile pictures the mounting holes for rack ears at the front.

Inside it was just a power supply and two standard Prime units. It took 2 cablecards, required 2 ethernet connections and 2 coax connections. It's doubtful you could find one these days and if you did it would probably be at a premium price.

IF you're comfortable with metalwork, then buying an empty 1u chassis is an option, otherwise you're going to be stuck with using a 3rd party fab shop as suggested above, or sticking your primes on a shelf.
post #12 of 23 Old 03-23-2017, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16815345009 Note in the side profile pictures the mounting holes for rack ears at the front.

Inside it was just a power supply and two standard Prime units. It took 2 cablecards, required 2 ethernet connections and 2 coax connections. It's doubtful you could find one these days and if you did it would probably be at a premium price.

IF you're comfortable with metalwork, then buying an empty 1u chassis is an option, otherwise you're going to be stuck with using a 3rd party fab shop as suggested above, or sticking your primes on a shelf.
Yes, that's what I have. I pre-ordered very early on so was one of the first to receive a unit. I think the rackmount version was discontinued fairly quickly so may not be many out there. I'm glad I have one, though quite honestly I rarely use it since moving to TiVos.
post #13 of 23 Old 03-23-2017, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok, I do see the holes, that is the unit I was thinking about. I wonder why they stopped selling those chassis...

I've got some time, and a whole bunch of new tools, so maybe I'll see if I can fab something

I just got my HDHomeRun today, so step one is to get it working, THEN I'll rip it apart, lol

Sean Hull

post #14 of 23 Old 03-23-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Ok, I do see the holes, that is the unit I was thinking about. I wonder why they stopped selling those chassis...

I've got some time, and a whole bunch of new tools, so maybe I'll see if I can fab something

I just got my HDHomeRun today, so step one is to get it working, THEN I'll rip it apart, lol
Once you have the original case apart you might be able to use it for a template to cut holes in the back. If you want to get fancy you can drill and thread holes in the bottom for stand-offs, or go the easy route and use the plastic standoffs that have doubles-sided take on the bottom. I'd venture a guess you could get a power supply inside fairly easily too if you were so inclined. And of course if you go to all that trouble then moving the status LEDs to the front of the chassis would probably be in order as well.

And if you think you might get a 2nd one down the road, then you should plan for that when locating your 1st one. (keep it to one side so if you add a 2nd one you have room in the same chassis)
post #15 of 23 Old 03-23-2017, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Once you have the original case apart you might be able to use it for a template to cut holes in the back. If you want to get fancy you can drill and thread holes in the bottom for stand-offs, or go the easy route and use the plastic standoffs that have doubles-sided take on the bottom. I'd venture a guess you could get a power supply inside fairly easily too if you were so inclined. And of course if you go to all that trouble then moving the status LEDs to the front of the chassis would probably be in order as well.

And if you think you might get a 2nd one down the road, then you should plan for that when locating your 1st one. (keep it to one side so if you add a 2nd one you have room in the same chassis)
Pretty much my thought exactly. Great minds ? if I'm going to do all that work in going to do two of them.

Any chance you could shoot a pic or two of the insides? I'd love to see how they did the power.

I wonder if I could put in a good splitter so I could just have a single coax input.
post #16 of 23 Old 03-23-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Pretty much my thought exactly. Great minds ? if I'm going to do all that work in going to do two of them.

Any chance you could shoot a pic or two of the insides? I'd love to see how they did the power.

I wonder if I could put in a good splitter so I could just have a single coax input.
I just have a standard prime so I can't help you out with pics.

If it was, me I wouldn't bother with the splitter. It'll be difficult to move that to the inside without having to do some wonky stuff with your ethernet and/or power connections too. It's also less than ideal setup from a signal strength standpoint as well, and digital tuners seem to be particularly finicky about signal strength.

I have a single coax coming in from the pole, that feeds an Electroline unity gain amp/splitter. (1 input, and 8 outputs, and all outputs maintain same signal strength as input) then I have my cable modem, MTA, and tuners running off of that. That way every device gets a feed that is full strength. If you add an internal splitter it might look better cosmetically, but the signal is less than ideal. Unless your feed from the pole is going straight to your Primes, I'd avoid the extra splitter. Run two cables from your primary splitter and call it a day.
post #17 of 23 Old 03-23-2017, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I wondered about the signal issue...

When I moved in I ripped out all the old crappy RG59 in and out of the house. I was disgusted how they ran so many cables on the outside of the house, and on the outside of walls! They ran them around door frames, and al the top of the walls next to the ceiling. They just poked a hole through to the rooms.

I ran ALL NEW Quad Shielded RG6 though the entire house. I ran it IN WALLS. It was a huge pain in the ass, and was expensive, but I also ran 4 cat6 drops to every room at the same time. Two cable, and 4 cat6 drops in every room in the house.

It come from the node (which is right behind our house) and into the house, and into my server room. It goes ao an Antronix CMC2002F 2-Way Splitter where one output goes to the cable modem, and the other to an Antronic CMC20085-A 8-Way Splitter. I feed the individual coax drops from the 8-Way splitter. I only connect drops that are actually live. The others are capped.

For power, I think I'll take a cheap 1u PSU (250W PSU)
And follow this Instructable to convert it. I only need the 5v Rail, and 250 is more than enough.

I broke down and took it apart. It was pretty easy, and it looks pretty straight forward inside. I can use the back piece to create a template to cut the back of the chassis.
The only thing I need to figure out is what is the positive and ground for the power supply terminal. Can anyone read the PDF and tell me what is what?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170324_001752.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	2045641   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170324_001717.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	326.9 KB
ID:	2045649   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170324_001729.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	2045657  

Sean Hull

post #18 of 23 Old 03-24-2017, 12:40 AM

Quote:
The only thing I need to figure out is what is the positive and ground for the power supply terminal. Can anyone read the PDF and tell me what is what?
You're looking in the wrong spot. If you check out the back of the Prime case it should have a diagram indicating the tip is (+) and the ring is (-)

Good luck on your project.
post #19 of 23 Old 03-24-2017, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
You're looking in the wrong spot. If you check out the back of the Prime case it should have a diagram indicating the tip is (+) and the ring is (-)

Good luck on your project.
I actually saw that

BUT, I want to wire the PSU directly to the boards. I don't want to plug in the power adapters, and then wire them to the PSU. Then I don't have to cut out a hole for the power on the plate for the power for the Primes, I can just wire them to the PSU, and only plug the PSU in. Make sense?

Sean Hull

post #20 of 23 Old 03-24-2017, 02:14 AM

Quote:
I actually saw that

BUT, I want to wire the PSU directly to the boards. I don't want to plug in the power adapters, and then wire them to the PSU. Then I don't have to cut out a hole for the power on the plate for the power for the Primes, I can just wire them to the PSU, and only plug the PSU in. Make sense?
I'd venture a guess that the terminal on the rear of the connector is the center pin. That diagram doesn't make it very obvious as you've noticed. If you have a multimeter handy you can just do a continuity check between the center pin and the terminal pins. If you don't have a multimeter handy, you should get one before you start disassembling electronic devices.
post #21 of 23 Old 03-29-2017, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:

I take it you don't have a Tuning Adapter?

I do and have to reboot my two primes and TA's about once a month as the TA loses sync or whatever it does to stop tuning SDV channels.. I have all four of these on one power strip so I just unplug the whole strip then plug it back in about 2 minutes later. I swear each time I do it I'm going to buy a Z-Wave power strip and just put it on a schedule to power cycle but I never get around to it.

post #22 of 23 Old 03-29-2017, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
I just have a standard prime so I can't help you out with pics.

If it was, me I wouldn't bother with the splitter. It'll be difficult to move that to the inside without having to do some wonky stuff with your ethernet and/or power connections too. It's also less than ideal setup from a signal strength standpoint as well, and digital tuners seem to be particularly finicky about signal strength.

I have a single coax coming in from the pole, that feeds an Electroline unity gain amp/splitter. (1 input, and 8 outputs, and all outputs maintain same signal strength as input) then I have my cable modem, MTA, and tuners running off of that. That way every device gets a feed that is full strength. If you add an internal splitter it might look better cosmetically, but the signal is less than ideal. Unless your feed from the pole is going straight to your Primes, I'd avoid the extra splitter. Run two cables from your primary splitter and call it a day.
Quote:
I wondered about the signal issue...

When I moved in I ripped out all the old crappy RG59 in and out of the house. I was disgusted how they ran so many cables on the outside of the house, and on the outside of walls! They ran them around door frames, and al the top of the walls next to the ceiling. They just poked a hole through to the rooms.

I ran ALL NEW Quad Shielded RG6 though the entire house. I ran it IN WALLS. It was a huge pain in the ass, and was expensive, but I also ran 4 cat6 drops to every room at the same time. Two cable, and 4 cat6 drops in every room in the house.

It come from the node (which is right behind our house) and into the house, and into my server room. It goes ao an Antronix CMC2002F 2-Way Splitter where one output goes to the cable modem, and the other to an Antronic CMC20085-A 8-Way Splitter. I feed the individual coax drops from the 8-Way splitter. I only connect drops that are actually live. The others are capped.

For power, I think I'll take a cheap 1u PSU (250W PSU)
And follow this Instructable to convert it. I only need the 5v Rail, and 250 is more than enough.

I broke down and took it apart. It was pretty easy, and it looks pretty straight forward inside. I can use the back piece to create a template to cut the back of the chassis.
We are very fortunate to have RG11 underground from the node at the street to the house and then about 50 feet of RG6 to a splitter that feeds the modem and two primes. We have a solid signal and symbol.

post #23 of 23 Old 03-29-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
I take it you don't have a Tuning Adapter?

I do and have to reboot my two primes and TA's about once a month as the TA loses sync or whatever it does to stop tuning SDV channels.. I have all four of these on one power strip so I just unplug the whole strip then plug it back in about 2 minutes later. I swear each time I do it I'm going to buy a Z-Wave power strip and just put it on a schedule to power cycle but I never get around to it.
Nope, no tuning adapters. I guess that's one of the good things about having TWC/Spectrum. (the bad being that nearly everything is copy-once) But I honestly don't think I've had the power off of the Prime since I first installed it. I loved my Ceton tuners when I was using them, but having used the Prime I can't imagine switching back. I should probably put those and my extenders up for sale while they still have any value left at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page