• 1 Post By TornadoTJ

post #1 of 4 Old 03-30-2017, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Backup hard drive ?

I need to get a new EHD. My old Western Digital drives have been working great but I need more capacity. I've read a few comments on the Internet that WD now uses hardware encryption & this seems to have created problems for some folks. Apparently something gets messed up, such as a bad USB connection & they can't retrieve their data - ever. Any heard of this happening?

Is there a latest consensus of opinion between using Seagate vs WD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-31-2017, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Hgst.
gumpy2u likes this.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-31-2017, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Western Digital owns Toshiba and HGST so the suggesting is to go with HGST not going to change anything.

I suggest pick a generic USB enclosure and then you can pick any hard drive to put into it. I have a similar to Rosewill RX-358 U3C and it works. If 4 TB is not enough, you can go with Rosewill Armer RX304-APU3-35B. There is no backup software that comes with these generic USB enclosures unless you use something like Crashplan or use what is embedded into the OS.

I prefer Seagate over Western Digital because I don't have to worry if the operating system is using the correct alignment when it detects an advanced format drive. Seagate's AF drives can be used with 512 bytes sectors with no performance lost. Western Digital drives can't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-03-2017, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 621
That's like saying there's no difference between a Chevy and a Cadillac, they are both owned by GM.

The WD Red and HGST NAS are NOT the same drive. Just to start, the WD is 5200 RPM and the HGST is 7800. If you do some reviews, you'll also find that the HGST has the highest reliability rating of all brands out there.

I just finished drilling my stack of Seagate ST3000DM001 drives, and about to replace a Seagate in a friend's laptop, an ST1000 something or the other. Just do a search on ST3000DM001 and see if you get positive news or negative news.

I have several WD drives myself. I don't like the greens. I just lost my last one and won't be buying those again. I'd buy the Red again, but I did just have one replaced under warranty.

My first time to try the HGSTs, they have only been in my server for a few weeks. But based on my research, they are probably the best thing out there. We will see. I am starting with two 6TB drives.

I should have answered the OP's question though. I am not aware of any hardware encryption on any of these drives. I have been swapping them between machines with no problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page