WMC "record new episodes only" question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-26-2017, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 15
WMC "record new episodes only" question

I never use the "record new episodes only" because I'm afraid if two shows are in conflict that it won't take the rerun of one of the 2 shows as the rerun would not be a new episode and I would have told it to record only new episides. Is WMC smart enough to know to take a rerun in such cases?

Also, with the complete incompentence of Rovi and their guide data, even if WMC would handle it properly, I'm not sure I'd trust rovi to be providing accurate information about whether or not a show is a rerun, actually, I wouldn't trust them to provide any accurate information, it very rarely is.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-26-2017, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 698
I'm fairly sure it handles it correctly. That said, it's been a while since I used WMC as a DVR and the majority of the time was prior to the guide data switch, plus I had 8 tuners for a long time so conflicts were very uncommon. But having said all of that, from what I remember, WMC will simply schedule a later airing of one of the conflicting shows.

Also keep in mind, a lot of what I was recording was on Discovery and The Science Channel, which have a habit of re-airing a show several times a week after the initial airing, so it wasn't much of an issue. I never tried to see what it would do if I had a conflict with two shows, and neither one had additional airings in the guide.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-27-2017, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 270
WMC does handle conflicts correctly. Assuming there is a repeat episode available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-28-2017, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
I'm fairly sure it handles it correctly. That said, it's been a while since I used WMC as a DVR and the majority of the time was prior to the guide data switch, plus I had 8 tuners for a long time so conflicts were very uncommon. But having said all of that, from what I remember, WMC will simply schedule a later airing of one of the conflicting shows.

Also keep in mind, a lot of what I was recording was on Discovery and The Science Channel, which have a habit of re-airing a show several times a week after the initial airing, so it wasn't much of an issue. I never tried to see what it would do if I had a conflict with two shows, and neither one had additional airings in the guide.
Does it really happen that you have 8 shows at once? And if so how do you have time for anything else if you record 8 hours of TV in 1 hour? When I had analog TV I had a dual tuner card and I don't think I can remember a single time where I would have needed a 3rd one.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-28-2017, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab1 View Post
Does it really happen that you have 8 shows at once? And if so how do you have time for anything else if you record 8 hours of TV in 1 hour? When I had analog TV I had a dual tuner card and I don't think I can remember a single time where I would have needed a 3rd one.
I started with 4 tuners, and 4 extenders. (5 screens including the PC running WMC) In a six person household, 4 tuners can be a pretty limiting factor. It becomes even more of a problem with the way WMC handles back to back recordings if you have enabled the setting (I forget what it's called) that records and extra 5 minutes before a show starts. So recording a show that runs from 8:00-8:30 (7:55-8:30) on NBC then another from 8:30-9:00 (8:25-9:00) also on NBC, WMC will use 2 tuners for that, even though all of the content is on the same channel. With a couple of people watching Live TV and a couple of shows being DVR'ed you're out of tuners. It doesn't happen often, but it happened often enough to justify buying the 2nd InfiniTV 4.

Also, it's only one week out of the year, but for the first week of NCAA March Madness, they'll have 4 games going on 4 different networks, and I would basically have a mini sports bar set up at my place to watch all of the games at once. That would occupy 4 tuners for basketball, so if anybody else in the house wanted to watch (or DVR) TV between noon and midnight, they were SOL.

Tuner conflicts don't make for a happy household.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page