Anyone converting their collection to h265 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By bryansj
  • 1 Post By confinoj
  • 4 Post By captain_video
  • 1 Post By captain_video
  • 1 Post By captain_video

post #1 of 21 Old 02-23-2018, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Anyone converting their collection to h265

To save space and keep pretty much the same quality? I recently tried NVENC h265 encoding using StaxRip and am impressed by the file size at the same (perceived) video quality.

Living the HT Dream in 4D.
4K HDR Cinema 106"@9ft w/5.4.2 Object Surround Sound and 6 Aura Bass Shakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-23-2018, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrimore View Post
To save space and keep pretty much the same quality? I recently tried NVENC h265 encoding using StaxRip and am impressed by the file size at the same (perceived) video quality.
Storage is cheap. Encoding is lossy and uses CPU power.
frank xbe likes this.

post #3 of 21 Old 02-23-2018, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
I don't disagree, but everything is a trade-off and all encodes- even those on a UHD disc are technically lossy given a digital file in a theater can be larger than a UHD disc. It's all about bang for the buck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 02-23-2018, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Quote:
I don't disagree, but everything is a trade-off and all encodes- even those on a UHD disc are technically lossy given a digital file in a theater can be larger than a UHD disc. It's all about bang for the buck.
So encoding an encode is worse. Just remux. You can buy a 8TB WD Red for $160. Use it in external case or crack it open.

post #5 of 21 Old 02-23-2018, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1206 Post(s)
Liked: 1009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
Quote:
Agree with bryansj. I used to re-encode all blu-ray rips via handbrake for storage reasons and max compatibility with my Apple TV at the time. Times have changed though. My ATV 4K and Shield can handle full bitrate blu-ray or UHD rips and with my OLED and capable sound system I want max quality now. With storage relatively cheap I stopped re-encoding a couple years ago. It was also a major time suck. I just rip the full movie + the lossless audio track +/- subs and dump it into my Plex folder. Quick and easy. If you don't need to maintain original AV quality and want to save space then I have seen many people report excellent results with h.265 encodes but have not tried myself.
frank xbe likes this.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | Tivo Roamio OTA | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
post #6 of 21 Old 02-23-2018, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
Agree with bryansj. I used to re-encode all blu-ray rips via handbrake for storage reasons and max compatibility with my Apple TV at the time. Times have changed though. My ATV 4K and Shield can handle full bitrate blu-ray or UHD rips and with my OLED and capable sound system I want max quality now. With storage relatively cheap I stopped re-encoding a couple years ago. It was also a major time suck. I just rip the full movie + the lossless audio track +/- subs and dump it into my Plex folder. Quick and easy. If you don't need to maintain original AV quality and want to save space then I have seen many people report excellent results with h.265 encodes but have not tried myself.
That was the basis for my question. I have tried h265 with hardware encoding via my new NVidia GPU for the first time and was surprised on the video quality at the best setting with the file being roughly half the size and with keeping the best audio track. I was also very surprised at the time it took using the hardware.

post #7 of 21 Old 02-23-2018, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
I tried the nvidia and amd HW encodes and they looked awful. I thought intel was better.

But the tradeoff's were bleh. i've compressed some stuff that i don't really care how the PQ looks.
post #8 of 21 Old 02-24-2018, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 415
I am gradually replacing all of my 1080p full Blu-Ray rips with 2160p full UHD Blu-Ray rips. The size of the files can be upwards of 80GB. I've always been a believer that if you compress the original file to something smaller you will lose picture quality. You just can't lose bits and expect it to look as good as the original. I really don't see the point in setting up a quality home theater system only to feed it less than the best source data available. It's the old garbage in, garbage out scenario. With storage prices dropping all the time and capacities increasing it just doesn't make sense to me to butcher the original files just to save space.
post #9 of 21 Old 02-24-2018, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post
I tried the nvidia and amd HW encodes and they looked awful. I thought intel was better.

But the tradeoff's were bleh. i've compressed some stuff that i don't really care how the PQ looks.
I had heard that before, but I was pleasantly surprised. I even went so far as to have my daughter name the two files (original and h265 encode) A and B without telling me which was which and load both in VLC. I am using a very good Samsung 4K monitor right in front of me and I really can't tell the difference. Playing them on my 65" 2K and 55" 4K TV were also not discernible (to me).

That being said, I am not jumping on the bandwagon just yet. My RAID server is not full at the moment and I could always add a second since my RAID card supports two (with larger hard drives than the 2TB discs I have right now). Also, I am getting media anxiety since I have all of my discs, almost all are also loaded up on the server and UV/MA copies of almost all of them anyway. It is a confusing time to be in this hobby.

post #10 of 21 Old 02-24-2018, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
I am gradually replacing all of my 1080p full Blu-Ray rips with 2160p full UHD Blu-Ray rips. The size of the files can be upwards of 80GB. I've always been a believer that if you compress the original file to something smaller you will lose picture quality. You just can't lose bits and expect it to look as good as the original. I really don't see the point in setting up a quality home theater system only to feed it less than the best source data available. It's the old garbage in, garbage out scenario. With storage prices dropping all the time and capacities increasing it just doesn't make sense to me to butcher the original files just to save space.

That's hard core (about 12 movies per TB)! If you don't mind me asking, what are you using to store your movies on?

post #11 of 21 Old 02-24-2018, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's hard core (about 12 movies per TB)! If you don't mind me asking, what are you using to store your movies on?
I have a 24-bay Supermicro server chassis using unRAID upgraded with my own internal hardware. I also have a 5-drive external bay attached for a total of 28 data drives, one parity drive, and one cache drive. Current total capacity is 108 TB with about 34 TB free. I probably have over 1,000 movies plus countless TV shows and so much music. I also have lots of digital photos, home videos that have been digitized, and digital copies of every available Marvel and DC comic dating back to the late 1930's as well as most Image comics going back the past 4-5 years.
Sammy2 likes this.
post #12 of 21 Old 02-24-2018, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2226 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
I have a 24-bay Supermicro server chassis using unRAID upgraded with my own internal hardware. I also have a 5-drive external bay attached for a total of 28 data drives, one parity drive, and one cache drive. Current total capacity is 108 TB with about 34 TB free. I probably have over 1,000 movies plus countless TV shows and so much music. I also have lots of digital photos, home videos that have been digitized, and digital copies of every available Marvel and DC comic dating back to the late 1930's as well as most Image comics going back the past 4-5 years.
@captain_video
You are appropriately named.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #13 of 21 Old 02-24-2018, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
@captain_video
You are appropriately named.
LOL, I thought so too. I got it from an old 1940's black and white serial about Captain Video. I've been accumulating movies and miscellaneous videos and music for well over a decade ever since I first built my server. My user name goes way back to the days when I was into hacking Tivos as soon as someone figured out how to expand the hard drive capacity (anyone remember Dylan's boot disc?). At the risk of angering the wrath of the mods, I used to belong to Netflix and Blockbuster when they rented actual DVDs, HD-DVDs, and Blu-Rays. I used to get up to 6 DVDs per week in the mail plus whatever I rented at Blockbuster and made copies to store on my server to watch later. I looked at as time shifting my rentals, although I'm sure there are differing views to my methodology. Blockbuster used to give me free or discounted rentals if I provided the Netflix mailer tear-off flaps so I was able to maximize my video library at a modest cost. The thing is, I have never watched 99% of them and probably never will. In fact, I've deleted almost everything I ever rented on DVD that hadn't been watched. I delete anything after I've watched it to make room for more media. I don't really archive much except for music and home videos since I'll probably never have time to watch anything a 2nd time. I acquire a lot of my media through various means, both legal and maybe not so much.
Sammy2 likes this.
post #14 of 21 Old 02-25-2018, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
LOL, I thought so too. I got it from an old 1940's black and white serial about Captain Video. I've been accumulating movies and miscellaneous videos and music for well over a decade ever since I first built my server. My user name goes way back to the days when I was into hacking Tivos as soon as someone figured out how to expand the hard drive capacity (anyone remember Dylan's boot disc?). At the risk of angering the wrath of the mods, I used to belong to Netflix and Blockbuster when they rented actual DVDs, HD-DVDs, and Blu-Rays. I used to get up to 6 DVDs per week in the mail plus whatever I rented at Blockbuster and made copies to store on my server to watch later. I looked at as time shifting my rentals, although I'm sure there are differing views to my methodology. Blockbuster used to give me free or discounted rentals if I provided the Netflix mailer tear-off flaps so I was able to maximize my video library at a modest cost. The thing is, I have never watched 99% of them and probably never will. In fact, I've deleted almost everything I ever rented on DVD that hadn't been watched. I delete anything after I've watched it to make room for more media. I don't really archive much except for music and home videos since I'll probably never have time to watch anything a 2nd time. I acquire a lot of my media through various means, both legal and maybe not so much.
Did you belong to a Tivo forum called dealdatabase? I remember a captain video and Plainbill from that website. The good ole Tivo days...
post #15 of 21 Old 02-25-2018, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toohip View Post
Did you belong to a Tivo forum called dealdatabase? I remember a captain video and Plainbill from that website. The good ole Tivo days...
LOL, guilty as charged. Yup, that was me.
post #16 of 21 Old 02-26-2018, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 275
I cannot see an advantage to converting to H265. Using the LG plex app even with 480 .mkv files from DVD's I am getting blu ray or better video quality.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #17 of 21 Old 02-26-2018, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4639 Post(s)
Liked: 2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
I cannot see an advantage to converting to H265. Using the LG plex app even with 480 .mkv files from DVD's I am getting blu ray or better video quality.
I apologize, but you must be absolutely blind or have a 20" tv screen if you think your DVDs look "blu ray or better video quality" lol.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #18 of 21 Old 02-26-2018, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I apologize, but you must be absolutely blind or have a 20" tv screen if you think your DVDs look "blu ray or better video quality" lol.
I agree, but I can also state that in my opinion, a really good SD encode of a BD can look very good. I used to use BD Rebuilder to make my early BD purchases into DVDs when the BD didn't come with a DVD copy (so it would play elsewhere in the house and in my car for the kids) and they often looked better than a commercial DVD, especially after the DVD manufacturers got lazy with quality.

post #19 of 21 Old 02-26-2018, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
65" oled e6p and not blind. I do wear glasses but the lenses are thin and the correction +2.5. Discs are authored in an astonishing range of quality. Any report I make of what I am seeing is subjective. However, I am very pleased with the results I am getting with the LG plex app on my 65e6p. I posted to see the response because I did not expect the picture to be so good. I thought that it might be helpful to encourage others to give the LG plex app a try.

I do have blu ray discs with better video quality than some 4K UHD discs. Some blu ray discs are not so good. Lucy would be an example of a top notch 4K UHD disc. Plex has not rendered any .mkv from a DVD with the video quality of Lucy ( which was encoded HDR 10 H.265).

So, I stand by my statement.

However, I am willing to convert a disc to H. 265 and report my opinion. Point me toward the software and process. Pick a couple discs that you think I may have.

Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch

Last edited by Postmoderndesign; 02-26-2018 at 02:04 PM.
post #20 of 21 Old 02-26-2018, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4639 Post(s)
Liked: 2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
65" oled e6p and not blind. I do wear glasses but the lenses are thin and the correction +2.5. Discs are authored in an astonishing range of quality. Any report I make of what I am seeing is subjective. However, I am very pleased with the results I am getting with the LG plex app on my 65e6p. I posted to see the response because I did not expect the picture to be so good. I thought that it might be helpful to encourage others to give the LG plex app a try.

I do have blu ray discs with better video quality than some 4K UHD discs. Some blu ray discs are not so good. Lucy would be an example of a top notch 4K UHD disc. Plex has not rendered any .mkv from a DVD with the video quality of Lucy ( which was encoded HDR 10 H.265).

So, I stand by my statement.

However, I am willing to convert a disc to H. 265 and report my opinion. Point me toward the software and process. Pick a couple discs that you think I may have.
Even on a smaller screen like a 65" TV, the small resolution of DVD should look pretty bad. A bluray is more than 4x more pixels than a DVD. A UHD is more than 16 times more pixels than a DVD. When I'm sitting in my living room where I have a 70" tv, I can notice how 720p looks softer even. Plex just plays back the content and has nothing to do with increasing its quality. I also love plex, but you are not able to get anywhere near bluray quality from a DVD no matter what. Even modern HDTV or netflix destroys DVD quality.

On 65" TV, you can't really benefit from 4K resolution unless you're seating distance is about 5 feet from the screen. You can, however, benefit from the HDR in the UHD so that's usually what makes the UHD look better. I agree that Lucy is exceptional UHD.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #21 of 21 Old 02-26-2018, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Even on a smaller screen like a 65" TV, the small resolution of DVD should look pretty bad. A bluray is more than 4x more pixels than a DVD. A UHD is more than 16 times more pixels than a DVD. When I'm sitting in my living room where I have a 70" tv, I can notice how 720p looks softer even. Plex just plays back the content and has nothing to do with increasing its quality. I also love plex, but you are not able to get anywhere near bluray quality from a DVD no matter what. Even modern HDTV or netflix destroys DVD quality.

On 65" TV, you can't really benefit from 4K resolution unless you're seating distance is about 5 feet from the screen. You can, however, benefit from the HDR in the UHD so that's usually what makes the UHD look better. I agree that Lucy is exceptional UHD.
I am sitting 8' from the screen.

There is little doubt in my mind that some image processing is going on. The chain is computer plex app to Radeon RX580 to LG OLED 65 e6p webOS plex app. I am using an expanded screen mode so that the Plex software appears on my monitor and the movie shows on the OLED. However the IP address plays a role so the image may be put in internet protocol format.

I don't know what is producing the better resolution.

I do know what a bad DVD image looks like.

Last edited by Postmoderndesign; 02-26-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page