Any way to maintain dolby vision with UHD disc rips? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By lockdown571
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 03-16-2018, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
confinoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Shaker Heights, OH
Posts: 1,942
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1206 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
Any way to maintain dolby vision with UHD disc rips?

I typically stream my ripped 4k/HDR media on Plex for Shield but can also stream with my Oppo 203. I'm presently using MakeMKV. My understanding is that you loose the DV metadata when ripping to an MKV and that if you rip the entire disc to folder or iso you can maintain DV although have not tried it. I'd prefer to just rip the main video. Can this be done with just a M2TS file instead of an MKV?

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | Tivo Roamio OTA | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
confinoj is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 03-16-2018, 11:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 371
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Both MKV and M2TS are containers. MakeMKV does is it separates the video, audio, and subtitles. Then puts them as is into MKV. 4K ripping using MakeMKV is not the same as ripping 1080p Blu-ray. There is no crack for AACS 2.0, so MakeMKV developers have to gather keys from volunteers in order to rip 4K content. I don't think ffmpeg which LAV filters are based on support Dolby Vision.

The following has more information or theory about detecting Dolby Vision
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=174954
tecknurd is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 03-17-2018, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lockdown571's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,276
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Doesn't Dolby Vision work in a m2ts container on the Oppo? Plex does work with m2ts but not ISO or folder format. As you've said DV metadata apparently does not work in an MKV container. I'm not sure how to rip discs with multiple playlists into an m2ts format. Also, does the m2ts format retain chapters and subs?

For the time being I've been ripping DV titles into MKV format, and also keeping a blu-ray folder rip. Obviously this means taking up more storage on my server. Hopefully will be able to use that DV metadata eventually.
lockdown571 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 Old 03-20-2018, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
confinoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Shaker Heights, OH
Posts: 1,942
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1206 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post
Doesn't Dolby Vision work in a m2ts container on the Oppo? Plex does work with m2ts but not ISO or folder format. As you've said DV metadata apparently does not work in an MKV container. I'm not sure how to rip discs with multiple playlists into an m2ts format. Also, does the m2ts format retain chapters and subs?

For the time being I've been ripping DV titles into MKV format, and also keeping a blu-ray folder rip. Obviously this means taking up more storage on my server. Hopefully will be able to use that DV metadata eventually.
I'll have to try playing an m2ts with the Oppo. What are you using for watching folder rips?

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | Tivo Roamio OTA | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
confinoj is online now  
post #5 of 14 Old 03-20-2018, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lockdown571's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,276
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
I'll have to try playing an m2ts with the Oppo. What are you using for watching folder rips?
I'm not watching the blu-ray folder rips. I'm just keeping this as a backup, hoping that one day I'll be able to harness the dolby vision metadata somehow. For the time being I just watch MKVs with HDR10.
aaronwt likes this.
lockdown571 is online now  
post #6 of 14 Old 11-28-2018, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
veger69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
I typically stream my ripped 4k/HDR media on Plex for Shield but can also stream with my Oppo 203. I'm presently using MakeMKV. My understanding is that you loose the DV metadata when ripping to an MKV and that if you rip the entire disc to folder or iso you can maintain DV although have not tried it. I'd prefer to just rip the main video. Can this be done with just a M2TS file instead of an MKV?
If you rip the files straight to BDMV/certificate folders place those folders into AVCHD folder and select that folder from the oppo network. It launches full Blu-ray menues with DV!
veger69 is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 11-28-2018, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
confinoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Shaker Heights, OH
Posts: 1,942
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1206 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
Quote:
Originally Posted by veger69 View Post
If you rip the files straight to BDMV/certificate folders place those folders into AVCHD folder and select that folder from the oppo network. It launches full Blu-ray menues with DV!
Yes thanks I’ve been doing this for some time now and works well. The only issue I have is not having a single interface or even single file for rips. All DV movies get a full disc back up so I have option of playing DV via Oppo. An HDR10 MKV rip goes into Plex and a second 1080p rip goes into Plex for playing back on mobile devices or other TVs in house that are not 4K/hdr. Doesn’t look like we’ll have option of DV mkv rips anytime soon. I find I don’t wind up watching the DV version much as I the difference at least on my calibrated LG OLED between HDR10 and DV is usually very subtle or negligible and watching via Plex is much easier/faster.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | Tivo Roamio OTA | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2

Last edited by confinoj; 11-28-2018 at 09:54 PM.
confinoj is online now  
post #8 of 14 Old 12-16-2018, 06:50 AM
Newbie
 
xsocaltrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by veger69 View Post
If you rip the files straight to BDMV/certificate folders place those folders into AVCHD folder and select that folder from the oppo network. It launches full Blu-ray menues with DV!
Could you please explain how you are able to do this? How do you create an avchd folder from already ripped bdmv? Is the bdmv folder already an avchd folder in itself since its consisting of the bdmv and certificate folders? Sorry I'm a noob to all this and have been trying to google search for this answer but have come up short. Thank you.

Last edited by xsocaltrash; 12-16-2018 at 07:57 AM.
xsocaltrash is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 12-17-2018, 04:49 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24,363
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4545 Post(s)
Liked: 4377
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsocaltrash View Post
Could you please explain how you are able to do this? How do you create an avchd folder from already ripped bdmv? Is the bdmv folder already an avchd folder in itself since its consisting of the bdmv and certificate folders? Sorry I'm a noob to all this and have been trying to google search for this answer but have come up short. Thank you.
Welcome to AVSForum.

See this in the OPPO FAQ: How do I play full-disc Blu-ray and UHD backups?

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    

Last edited by wmcclain; 12-17-2018 at 04:57 AM.
wmcclain is online now  
post #10 of 14 Old 12-21-2018, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
veger69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsocaltrash View Post
Could you please explain how you are able to do this? How do you create an avchd folder from already ripped bdmv? Is the bdmv folder already an avchd folder in itself since its consisting of the bdmv and certificate folders? Sorry I'm a noob to all this and have been trying to google search for this answer but have come up short. Thank you.


Create a folder named AVCHD and put the BDMV folders you ripped inside then navigate to the AVCHD folder in oppo network and it will launch the Blu-ray menu when you select the AVCHD folder.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
veger69 is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 02-27-2019, 12:40 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Is there no other player on the market that will do it, though? I am planning to get the Panasonic 820 because an OPPO 203 is now absurdly expensive on 3rd party markets

p.s Also getting an Nvidia shield 4K...
UHDreviews is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 04-12-2019, 01:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 407
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by veger69 View Post
If you rip the files straight to BDMV/certificate folders place those folders into AVCHD folder and select that folder from the oppo network. It launches full Blu-ray menues with DV!

I've tried ripping to BDMV and it gives me dozens of folders with just titles and junk. Is there a way to do this and only have the movie and a couple of menus? Thank you!
Dr Steve is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 04-12-2019, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 33,904
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked: 3509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Steve View Post
I've tried ripping to BDMV and it gives me dozens of folders with just titles and junk. Is there a way to do this and only have the movie and a couple of menus? Thank you!
What device are you using to play the files? If you have an OPPO 203/205 then just navigate down to the folder named AVCHD and press Play, you'll get a menu just as it is on the original disk.
Keenan is online now  
post #14 of 14 Old 04-12-2019, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
whiteboy714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,825
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 228
whiteboy714 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Home Theater Computers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off