CyberLink PowerDVD 18 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 30Likes

post #31 of 88 Old 04-19-2018, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herve View Post
I notice the following on DVDFab Player 5:

"The totally reinvented DVDFab Player 5 now offers all-round navigation menu playback support on DVDs, Blu-rays, and the unprotected new-generation 4K Ultra Blu-rays, regardless of what forms they are in, genuine discs, ripped ISO image files or folders."

Does the above mean what I think it means -- that this software will not play back commercial UHD BD movie disks?
You need to use a utility like AnyDVD (HD) to decrypt the disc. And you need a "friendly" Blu-ray drive with the right firmware, not an official one. So, this is grey market not legal.

Unprotected discs can be played back without issue, but there are not many of those.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 88 Old 04-19-2018, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkyoman View Post
You need to use a utility like AnyDVD (HD) to decrypt the disc. And you need a "friendly" Blu-ray drive with the right firmware, not an official one. So, this is grey market not legal.

Unprotected discs can be played back without issue, but there are not many of those.
That's what I figured.
post #33 of 88 Old 04-19-2018, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 136
The UHD optical drive firmware is official.

Media Room: LG oled65c7, Marantz AV8805, Sherbourn 7/2100, Emotiva A-300, Studer A80, Studer Revox b795, Nakamichi RX-202, HTPC, exaSound e38, Sweetvinyl Sugarcube SC-2, (2) Piega P10, Piega Coax Center, (6) Piega AP 1.2, Hsu VTF-15h mk2
Office: Emotiva mini-x A100, Geek Pulse, (2) KEF LS-50, Goldenear FF 4, PC, NAS 130TB
Bedroom: Panasonic TCP55vt35, Pioneer SX-N30, Dune 3 Prime, (2) Elac Uni-Fi UB5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 88 Old 04-19-2018, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Rare? Not so rare on gaming laptops actually. But yeah, increasingly rare.

That's basically what Cyberlink indicated re: GPUs. Since I've already done 4K HDR gaming (and Dolby Atmos gaming) with my GTX1080-equipped PC, it's obviously possible to deliver the signal. Also the OEM software may be included with a PC that only supports BD playback and not UHD, just sayin'.

Anyhow, even if it's an exercise in nostalgia and discovering the limitations of the PC platform when it comes to UHD media, I'm happy to go through with it.
there is nearly no laptop with an UHD BD drive a normal BD drive is not enough.

and there is no question if nvidia or AMD can send an HDR signal.
they both have an API for that which works fine for decrypted disc.
and nvidia even support netflix HDR so case closed.

if nvidia and AMD have to pay for yet another royalty fee than this is most likely the final nail in the physical media coffin.
the number of UHD BD drives is none existent even the number of BD drives is low the number of general drives get's low and low...

and the physical media get's what it deserves it forces you to get HDCP 2.2 even more royalties extremely over prices drives and you have to buy a playback software for 100 bucks on top of it which is far from decent and the disc are pricey.

or people buy a netflix UHD subscription which works on normal hardware don't need a drive no need for a 100 bucks software and you get crappy picture quality which is fine for the AVG user which could in theory be same if not better than an UHD disc.

sony didn't even put a UHD drive in a PS4 "because it is not worth it" even through they are a founder of the Blu-ray Disc Association...
post #35 of 88 Old 04-19-2018, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 426 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8920 Post(s)
Liked: 15722
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn View Post

if nvidia and AMD have to pay for yet another royalty fee than this is most likely the final nail in the physical media coffin.
the number of UHD BD drives is none existent even the number of BD drives is low the number of general drives get's low and low...

and the physical media get's what it deserves it forces you to get HDCP 2.2 even more royalties extremely over prices drives and you have to buy a playback software for 100 bucks on top of it which is far from decent and the disc are pricey.

or people buy a netflix UHD subscription which works on normal hardware don't need a drive no need for a 100 bucks software and you get crappy picture quality which is fine for the AVG user which could in theory be same if not better than an UHD disc.

sony didn't even put a UHD drive in a PS4 "because it is not worth it" even through they are a founder of the Blu-ray Disc Association...
You trying to say it's a mess?

You've summarized why I rely on Vudu UHD streaming and 4K iTunes streaming for movies these days.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #36 of 88 Old 04-19-2018, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

or you rip the disc if you live in a country that allows that. still leaves you with a mess but a smaller one.

edit:
if you want to have some fun with HDR on the PC with youtube HDR file or a free HDR file/demo.
all you need is madVR, lavfilter and a player that support madVR like mpc-hc.
and just to make it even more interesting madVR support the playback of HDR on none HDR devices.
the brightness on an sony X900f for example is not that different between SDR and HDR mode giving you more control over the HDR and the possibility to avoid the vivid mode HDR tone of most TVs. the desktop will be painfully bright but it's for the science isn't it?
prerich likes this.

Last edited by mightyhuhn; 04-19-2018 at 11:53 AM.
post #37 of 88 Old 04-19-2018, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
or you rip the disc if you live in a country that allows that. still leaves you with a mess but a smaller one.

edit:
if you want to have some fun with HDR on the PC with youtube HDR file or a free HDR file/demo.
and just to make it even more interesting madVR support the playback of HDR on none HDR devices.
the brightness on an sony X900f for example is not that different between SDR and HDR mode giving you more control over the HDR and the possibility to avoid the vivid mode HDR tone of most TVs. the desktop will be painfully bright but it's for the science isn't it?
I love MPC HC + MadVR. That combo has so many great features, but after the original set-up of all options and settings, the one that I use the most is, again, that num 9 or 1 infinite zoom feature, or the stretch features, if used separately. The 1080p and, especially, DVD upscale features are exquiste, producing an image that is IMO superior to that from a Samsung K8500 UHD BD player. For example, even the DVD of "The Night Of The Iguana" (one of my favorite movies) looks remarkably good from a very close viewing distance on our 55x900e. Bravo to the producers of MPC HC + MadVR, espcially madshi.

However, all of the above being said, if say a new Panasonic UHD BD player had a similar infinite zoom, I'd buy one and probably not use MPC HC that often, because there would be no need to turn on the PC to play the movie; no need to rip, etc. IMO this feature would be especially useful to those who sit at a considerable distance from their displays and they'd like to have the image take up a greater portion of the available height of the screen (while accepting the loss of some of the sides of the image, of course). This is the one feature that most attracted to me to the release of PDVD 18.

I must say that even though our 10-year-old HTPC's version of PDVD did not have a zoom feature, it did, and still does, a great job of displaying the full potential of blu ray in its original aspect ratio, IMO.

Too bad that Cyberlink and, I guess, Nvidia have chosen to make their combination so impractical. Presumably, because Nvidia GPUs are so popular for so many purposes, Cyberlink is taking most of the financial hit.

The irony here is, as usual, that now that UHD BDs can be ripped, there isn't a justifiable, practical need for the stringent UHD BD playback requirements. I'll speak for myself. I like having disks rather than a file server. I'd like to just pop a disk in the PC and use PDVD or MPC HC + MadVR to play the selected files. Why not allow me do that, Cyberlink, Intel and Nvidia? I bought the bloody disk. Just let me play it on my PC and output from my GTX1080.
post #38 of 88 Old 04-19-2018, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

madVR can do that automatic too.
and you can even go as far as creating a profile to toggle it with a remote control.
not that i will ever recommend it.

the protection issue come from the BD organisation they force the user to buy as many other hardware/software to make more money and force royalties on everything every hdmi connector cost the TV creator money every TV that supports dobly digital has to pay dolby digital.

there is a reason google uses VP9 instead of HEVC because VP9 cost nothing and that's the reason HEVC fears AV1 and VP9.
not saying HEVC and stuff like dobly vision are loosing there are powerful company's behind but it looks pretty dark for HEVC and this is only good for the consumer if royalties based standards DIE.
post #39 of 88 Old 04-19-2018, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I just bought this and it gets stuck at the checking components for uhd playback. Can't get past it. GTX1080ti.
post #40 of 88 Old 04-19-2018, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagameballa View Post
I just bought this and it gets stuck at the checking components for uhd playback. Can't get past it. GTX1080ti.
I hope they accept returns. You really should have read this thread from the beginning. The GTX 1080Ti isn't on the list of supported equipment. You need a specific Intel CPU, motherboard and Intel iGPU.
Herve likes this.
post #41 of 88 Old 04-19-2018, 09:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I hope they accept returns. You really should have read this thread from the beginning. The GTX 1080Ti isn't on the list of supported equipment. You need a specific Intel CPU, motherboard and Intel iGPU.
And make sure you tell Cyberlink just exactly WHY you are demanding a refund.
post #42 of 88 Old 04-19-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
I have read more than just this thread, I've had pdvd17 and it plays all my movies fine. I have an intel 7700k, a mb that works, and a uhd optical drive. All my stuff works perfectly fine in pdvd17. It's a pdvd18 issue.
post #43 of 88 Old 04-20-2018, 03:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have read more than just this thread, I've had pdvd17 and it plays all my movies fine. I have an intel 7700k, a mb that works, and a uhd optical drive. All my stuff works perfectly fine in pdvd17. It's a pdvd18 issue.
So you are able to connect to the 1080Ti rather than use the Intel iGPU? This is news to me.
prerich likes this.
post #44 of 88 Old 04-20-2018, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
I'm interested! Nice features.

What computer specs will PDVD 18 (henccforth,18) require? Specifically, will a computer that has a legit UHD BD drive and a GTX 1080 be allowed by 18 to output full UHD to a Sony 55x900e via the GPU's HDMI?
Sorry to say, no. The SGX (Software Guard Extensions) requirements are the inhibiting factor. It's still limited to onboard embedded cpu based video . I was hoping that Nvidia would have included such extensions via an update or create something that's compatible (and that the studios agree to).
post #45 of 88 Old 04-20-2018, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post
It doesn't support Dolby Vision, and still no mention of Dolby Atmos. Also, it doesn't support discrete GPUs, even if they have the same HDCP and HDMI cred as Intel 630/640.
Some folks very definitely don't want Ultra HD Blu-Ray via PC to be a common thing...
Atmos is supported by bitstreaming only.
post #46 of 88 Old 04-20-2018, 06:12 AM

Quote:

One caveat for Netflix, you must use the Netflix app or use the Edge browser for UHD.
post #47 of 88 Old 04-20-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:

edit:
I'm doing something like this in Jriver24, Red October HQ (MadVR), and SVP. I watched Oblivion via JRiver (1080p upconverted to 4k) and then switched over to the native 4k Oblivion UHD disc on my LG UP875 4K UHD Player. My PC destroyed the LG UHD Player!!!! It was just a better, clearer, and more detailed picture!!! I couldn't believe it!!! PC also killed the player on Thor Ragnarok, and Lucy!!!! If not for Atmos, I wouldn't have a dedicated 4K UHD player. If all Blu-ray disc came with an Atmos track, I'd sell my player for $50 bucks and call it a rap for HT.
post #48 of 88 Old 04-20-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Question, as your equipment checks out with the exception of the GTX-1080, due to the fact that it doesn't have the SGX requirements (intel placed that in the CPU and onboard GPU)....Has a driver update been released that allows the 1080 to access SGX in the CPU or has Nvidia issued it's own version of SGX? I'm wondering if 17 isn't down-converting your video (you have everything - but outputting through an add-on video card) - but then your PC upconverts the video's output to your PC's native 4k resolution.

Cyberlink did something like this in the past - but on the audio side, it was down converting the HD audio if it wasn't bitstreaming.
post #49 of 88 Old 04-20-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
So you are able to connect to the 1080Ti rather than use the Intel iGPU? This is news to me.
Yes, I can disable the onboard video and play uhd movies right off my hard drive using the 1080ti. Been doin it for months. With hdr and atmos with pdvd17.
post #50 of 88 Old 04-20-2018, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1754 Post(s)
Liked: 790
Quote:
Yes, I can disable the onboard video and play uhd movies right off my hard drive using the 1080ti. Been doin it for months. With hdr and atmos with pdvd17.
Playing from your hard drive means you've bypassed the protection that requires SGX. You can't play directly from disc with your 1080ti.
prerich likes this.

post #51 of 88 Old 04-20-2018, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Quote:
I love MPC HC + MadVR.
Bravo to the producers of MPC HC + MadVR, espcially madshi.
MPC-HC is not being developed anymore.

v1.7.13 is the last and final version.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #52 of 88 Old 04-20-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Oh, its off the HDD not a commercial disc - correct? Yes you should be able to play UHD files with the 1080, but you shouldn't be able to play commercial encrypted 4K UHD blu-ray's without using the onboard video card.
post #53 of 88 Old 04-20-2018, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
MPC-HC is not being developed anymore.

v1.7.13 is the last and final version.
New versions of MPC-HC are being released at Doom9. They just aren't official releases. There is also MPC-BE.
Herve likes this.
post #54 of 88 Old 04-20-2018, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 374
As I said before, AMD and Nvidia plan to have PlayReady 3.0 drivers for their GPUs sometime this year. AMD is shooting for Q2, around Computex and Nvidia's release schedule is anyone's guess as they refuse to comment on the matter other than it's being worked on. Their main priority is now - and has been for some time - gaming improvements because that's the only consumer market in which their hardware is readily found these days, with the exception of some low-end ultrabook/thin notebook models. AMD knows it's APUs are heavily desired for media-oriented PCs and laptops, so it's a priority for them to get it worked out. Windows 10 continues to receive PlayReady and HDR API updates with every big update package, so that is also causing certification delays in getting UHD-BD working with non-Intel hardware. The annual Spring update release has been postponed for the purposes of bug fixing and tweaking, so it's likely that Computex may result in a huge pile of changes in the ecosystem, containing both hardware and software updates from all sides of the industry.
Herve and BattleAxeVR like this.
post #55 of 88 Old 04-20-2018, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1754 Post(s)
Liked: 790
I'm not sure if UHD-BD playback could get any lower priority with Nvidia/AMD. Optical drives in PCs are disappearing. Most of the "coolest" gaming cases don't have 5.25" slots and none of the online YouTube builders bother with it. Laptops are dropping them even faster.

And if you want real proof just play PC Building Simulator... no optical drive option.

Basically, I wouldn't expect the UHD disc playback situation to improve. The only real solution is to get a UHD drive, disc, and something running to bypass the encryption in real-time (AnyDVD or DVD Fab).
Herve and Salty01 like this.

post #56 of 88 Old 04-20-2018, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Well, it just so happens that I'm about to hook up a X900F to a GTX1080 so I will have an answer.
how do you fit a 1080 in a NUC?

NAD 758 v3 with Dirac 7.4.4 + Rotel 976 + Panamax M5300-PM
Paradigm Prestige 75F's + 55C; 8x Paradigm CI Pro P65-R's
DIY MBMs: VRK Build thread + 2x Rotel 981 (bridged)
Sub: 2x Rythmik LVX12 + MiniDSP
DIY Room Treatments: Dutch Floral Prints
post #57 of 88 Old 04-20-2018, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 426 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8920 Post(s)
Liked: 15722
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcinnamon View Post
how do you fit a 1080 in a NUC?
Lol, if only. Just a classic i5 w/dual SSD DIY tower for that.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #58 of 88 Old 04-20-2018, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

not a nuc but still...
https://www.zotac.com/us/product/min...magnus-en1080k

i really don't understand why a small form factor is important for an HTPC. i mean it's not like an AVR is small...
post #59 of 88 Old 04-21-2018, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
not a nuc but still...
https://www.zotac.com/us/product/min...magnus-en1080k

i really don't understand why a small form factor is important for an HTPC. i mean it's not like an AVR is small...
Most people interested in an "HTPC" just want it as small and quiet as possible.

The Zotac mini-PC is a great-spec'd unit, but, once again with feeling, will not allow UHD BD playback through its wonderful GTX1080. The thing is also very expensive, IMO, which is where a full, mid or SFF-size desktop PC can give a much better bang for the buck, if you have a place to put it, etc. For example, I just bought a used, mid-tower, i7-7700, GTX1080 "gaming system" that cost much less than half the price of that new Zotac. The moment I bought it, it was instantaneously transformed into a "HTPC". See, miracles still happen in 2018! For that price, I will live happily ever after with its size. Too bad it can't play UHD BDs .............yet. It'll be interesting to see if Nvidia issues new drivers that will allow that.

I'm with the folks who think that disk media in general is already on life-support. The local Best Buy has only a tiny fraction of the number of UHD BDs or 1080 BDs or DVDs or, for that matter, audio CDs, that they used to "carry". Streaming is killing disks. At normal viewing distances most of the viewing public is satisfied with what they see while streaming; so why, they think, should they buy disks?

After streaming has killed disks and the prices of streaming services start dramatically rising, perhaps eventually shifting to subscription plus PPV, THEN average consumers will wish for the good old days of disks on a shelf.

Streaming content is another matter entirely. Over the past year I think my wife and I have seen maybe 3 movies that we thought were exceptional, content-wise. However, the rest were, PQ-wise, remarkably good looking, so if you're going to watch s..t, it's at least very good looking s..t with very good-looking locations and "back-drops". In other words, if the shoot-location of a pointless, irrelevant movie is the area around the Eiffel tower and river Seine, and the movie has pretty actors (who can barely say their lines), at least you can enjoy the view.
post #60 of 88 Old 04-21-2018, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

bigger PC can be made totally silent which is not possible for small powerful PCs.
the question was how to get a 1080 in a nuc and that's the answer.
and again you can play UHD BD through a 1080 you just need a tool to real time decrypt the disc.

i highly doubt streaming is killing the disk. it's the disk it self the stuff to play it and they didn't even bother to make it competitive the price of the disc alone even if you could play it any ware is killing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
cyberlink , powerdvd 18 , ultra hd blu-ray