30Likes

post #1 of 88 Old 04-17-2018, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 425 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8813 Post(s)
Liked: 15477
CyberLink PowerDVD 18

Say hi to the latest version of PowerDVD software from Cyberlink: PowerDVD 18 for Windows.

CyberLink's PowerDVD is a familiar software solution for Ultra HD Blu-ray playback from today's Windows PCs. For 2018, PowerDVD 18 brings enhanced support for 360-degree video content to the table while retaining a rich feature set. My primary interest in the software centers on disc-based 4K HDR playback but I'm also curious about what else it offers.

Click this link to read more: CyberLink Launches PowerDVD 18

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 Old 04-17-2018, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I'm interested! Nice features.

What computer specs will PDVD 18 (henccforth,18) require? Specifically, will a computer that has a legit UHD BD drive and a GTX 1080 be allowed by 18 to output full UHD to a Sony 55x900e via the GPU's HDMI?
post #3 of 88 Old 04-17-2018, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herve View Post

What computer specs will PDVD 18 (henccforth,18) require? Specifically, will a computer that has a legit UHD BD drive and a GTX 1080 be allowed by 18 to output full UHD to a Sony 55x900e via the GPU's HDMI?
Well, it just so happens that I'm about to hook up a X900F to a GTX1080 so I will have an answer.
Herve likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 88 Old 04-17-2018, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Well, it just so happens that I'm about to hook up a X900F to a GTX1080 so I will have an answer.
Great!
post #5 of 88 Old 04-17-2018, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 41
So much nostalgia seeing PowerDVD, I think I got their disc with the 1st DVD-R burner I bought back in the '90s. Of all the companies to survive, I never thought Cyberlink would be one of them.
Montucky likes this.
post #6 of 88 Old 04-17-2018, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 98
It doesn't support Dolby Vision, and still no mention of Dolby Atmos. Also, it doesn't support discrete GPUs, even if they have the same HDCP and HDMI cred as Intel 630/640.
Some folks very definitely don't want Ultra HD Blu-Ray via PC to be a common thing...
BattleAxeVR likes this.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #7 of 88 Old 04-17-2018, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I would like to do this as well, but I was discouraged when I read this review on amazon about an internal player. Seemed to me that it was too early to go this route until the graphics cards would work. Maybe it's just this drive in particular. Anyone know more about using GPUs with these drives?

Quote:
Pioneer PIO-BDR-211UBK MAIN-16374 Internal BD/DVD/CD Writer Supporting Ultra HD Blu-Ray Playback
March 8, 2018
Verified Purchase
This may be one of the most contentious pieces of hardware released in recent memory. The hardware itself works. The problem most people have is the absurd requirements for playing 4K UHD due to overly-restrictive rights management. For the record, my PC meets all requirements (specs to be listed below). HOWEVER, it is ridiculous that I can't run the video signal through my GTX-1080TI (which has HDMI 2.0a/b as required, but "fails" because it doesn't have built-in SGX, which only Intel has???? F-U). The included Cyberlink PwerDVD software wants to force me to use on-board video. No thanks, I'll just wait for a crack, and/or software which doesn't require it. Again, the drive itself works, but Pioneer and others have done a very poor job of insuring the requirements are clear to consumers. Note to manufacturers and content-providers: If your attempts to combat piracy reduce your customer base to almost zero, you've done something wrong.

Intel I7-7700K
MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon (SGX enabled)
GTX 1080TI
16GB DDR4-3000
LG 4K LED TV (HDMI 2.0a/b)
Yamaha RX-A3070 (HDMI 2.0a/b)
post #8 of 88 Old 04-17-2018, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Liked: 582
See the "Optical Drive" section of this guide for more on UHD Blu-ray support on PC: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-hom...l#post42349961.
imagic likes this.
post #9 of 88 Old 04-17-2018, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post
It doesn't support Dolby Vision, and still no mention of Dolby Atmos. Also, it doesn't support discrete GPUs, even if they have the same HDCP and HDMI cred as Intel 630/640.
Some folks very definitely don't want Ultra HD Blu-Ray via PC to be a common thing...

I sent a query to CyberLink on this topic of discrete GPUs, and have requested feedback from the engineering team. I have that Intel NUC, but I would really like to be able to use a gaming PC in this capacity.

Agreed, these Dolby features are capabilities that are needed ASAP. With Windows supporting Atmos, I can't imagine that not appearing at some point. I have sent a follow up to my first email to CyberLink asking for any guidance on this I can get.
anderg and Herve like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #10 of 88 Old 04-17-2018, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post
and that's why people rip disc. not to pirate them and spread them just so they can use them without artificial boarders.

D atmos doesn't really need new support if you can bitstream D trueHD correctly you can bitstream D atmos correctly.
decrypted DISC work totally fine with freeware including sending HDR meta data and D atmos.

dobly vision is a little bit hard and not yet support in freeware and may never be.
Salty01 and prerich like this.
post #11 of 88 Old 04-17-2018, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 132
This software is a non-starter. What you really want is AnyDVD and JRiver Media Center with a friendly UHD drive. That combo will play silver discs and disc files with full DV support + do things like play multichannel DSD files (powerdvd wont do that) and support external DACs (powerdvd wont do that either) support 384khz pcm (nope powerdvd wont do that) multizone and room correction (nope not powerdvd)

Media Room: LG oled65c7, Marantz AV8805, Sherbourn 7/2100, Emotiva A-300, Studer A80, Studer Revox b795, Nakamichi RX-202, HTPC, exaSound e38, Sweetvinyl Sugarcube SC-2, (2) Piega P10, Piega Coax Center, (6) Piega AP 1.2, Hsu VTF-15h mk2
Office: Emotiva mini-x A100, Geek Pulse, (2) KEF LS-50, Goldenear FF 4, PC, NAS 130TB
Bedroom: Panasonic TCP55vt35, Pioneer SX-N30, Dune 3 Prime, (2) Elac Uni-Fi UB5
post #12 of 88 Old 04-17-2018, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post
This software is a non-starter. What you really want is AnyDVD and JRiver Media Center with a friendly UHD drive. That combo will play silver discs and disc files with full DV support + do things like play multichannel DSD files (powerdvd wont do that) and support external DACs (powerdvd wont do that either) support 384khz pcm (nope powerdvd wont do that) multizone and room correction (nope not powerdvd)
If it turns out that computer owners who buy 18 are able to play UHD blu rays via output from discrete GPUs, I might purchase it. If not, I won't and I wouldn't be surprised if I'm not alone.

More than anyone else, I think Cyberlink knows that to sell 18, they've got to make it as useful as possible or people will do exactly as you suggest.

(I already have a "friendly" drive, but I would still consider purchasing an approved drive if purchasing Cyberlink means being able to play UHD BDs directly through GTX1080. I also like 18's apparent zoom feature for slot-vision movies. Infinite zooming is a feature I just love in MPC HC +MadVR, but I'd accept a zoom that pretty much eliminates bars in one or two fell swoops.)
post #13 of 88 Old 04-17-2018, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Jriver won't support Dolby Vision will it - thought they used madvr ...
post #14 of 88 Old 04-17-2018, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
If it turns out that computer owners who buy 18 are able to play UHD blu rays via output from discrete GPUs, I might purchase it. If not, I won't and I wouldn't be surprised if I'm not alone.

More than anyone else, I think Cyberlink knows that to sell 18, they've got to make it as useful as possible or people will do exactly as you suggest.

(I already have a "friendly" drive, but I would still consider purchasing an approved drive if purchasing Cyberlink means being able to play UHD BDs directly through GTX1080. I also like 18's apparent zoom feature for slot-vision movies. Infinite zooming is a feature I just love in MPC HC +MadVR, but I'd accept a zoom that pretty much eliminates bars in one or two fell swoops.)
Looks like it will be up to the GPU vendors To decide if they want to, at some point in the future, enable UHD BD playback, but it is accurate to say that it's not happening today.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 04-17-2018 at 05:15 PM.
post #15 of 88 Old 04-17-2018, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Not only do I understand why people would take that approach, it's how I used to do it. But right now, when I want to look at it is a solution that is completely legal. Unfortunately, what I'm finding is there are still obstacles... Unwelcome and unneeded but nonetheless present because of some insecure suits sitting in a boardroom in Hollywood or whatever.
wiyosaya likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #16 of 88 Old 04-17-2018, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 1696 Post(s)
Liked: 6149
People still use this crap software? i would never spend money on it again. i rater copy my disc to my PC and play it that way or over my Ethernet to tv.
post #17 of 88 Old 04-17-2018, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrey View Post
People still use this crap software? i would never spend money on it again. i rater copy my disc to my PC and play it that way or over my Ethernet to tv.
Well, yes, I guess the whole point of this is that there is a version 18 of this rather venerable platform.

I should note that, at least to me, it looks like it's morphed into a solution for downloading YouTube videos for local playback. And playback 360 content through VR goggles. Of course, there are other ways to do that, that's also true that some limited-edition version of the software is often included with new PCs, and in particular with models that come equipped with a optical drive. It also tends to be bundled with optical drives, if you have to purchase one. This may explain its endurance.

I have not watched a movie with PowerDVD in years and want to see what the experience is like. And that certainly does include dealing with its limitations.
prerich likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 04-17-2018 at 05:17 PM.
post #18 of 88 Old 04-17-2018, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Are there any other current software players besides PowerDVD that handle 3D MVC with complete menus?

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1903 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D / Denon S720W
post #19 of 88 Old 04-17-2018, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Looks like it will be up to the GPU vendors To decide if they want to, at some point in the future, enable UHD BD playback, but it is accurate to say that it's not happening today.
Thanks for delivering the inconvenient truth, Mark.

With all the alternatives, I'm amazed that Cyberlink still bothers producing disk playback software at all.
prerich likes this.
post #20 of 88 Old 04-18-2018, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 628
As it stands, playing back my UHDs as MKVs via Plex Media Server still seems like the best/simplest method for the PC space (and other devices). Core i3-2100 + GT 1030 gets it done easily. The only downside is that the MKV container doesn't support Dolby Vision (as the metadata is represented by a separate 1080p video stream), but Atmos and HDR10 work flawlessly.
post #21 of 88 Old 04-18-2018, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Thanks for delivering the inconvenient truth, Mark.

With all the alternatives, I'm amazed that Cyberlink still bothers producing disk playback software at all.
That probably has a lot to do with OEM agreements to supply the software with new computers that are equipped with optical drives.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #22 of 88 Old 04-18-2018, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That probably has a lot to do with OEM agreements to supply the software with new computers that are equipped with optical drives.
And do those "new computers that are equipped with optical drives" (IMO, exceedingly rare birds nowadays, espcially laptops) output their UHD BD signals via discrete GPUs, or do they output via motherboad ports, and, if the former, which models of discrete desktop GPUs?

Do you think that if Nvidia wanted their desktop GPUs to output an approved UHD BD drive's signal (while spinning a commercial UHD BD), that all they would have to do is make available a new driver update -- say for a GTX1080?

Thanks.
post #23 of 88 Old 04-18-2018, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
And do those "new computers that are equipped with optical drives" (IMO, exceedingly rare birds nowadays, espcially laptops) output their UHD BD signals via discrete GPUs, or do they output via motherboad ports, and, if the former, which models of discrete desktop GPUs?

Do you think that if Nvidia wanted their desktop GPUs to output an approved UHD BD drive's signal (while spinning a commercial UHD BD), that all they would have to do is make available a new driver update -- say for a GTX1080?

Thanks.
Rare? Not so rare on gaming laptops actually. But yeah, increasingly rare.

That's basically what Cyberlink indicated re: GPUs. Since I've already done 4K HDR gaming (and Dolby Atmos gaming) with my GTX1080-equipped PC, it's obviously possible to deliver the signal. Also the OEM software may be included with a PC that only supports BD playback and not UHD, just sayin'.

Anyhow, even if it's an exercise in nostalgia and discovering the limitations of the PC platform when it comes to UHD media, I'm happy to go through with it.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 04-18-2018 at 07:25 AM.
post #24 of 88 Old 04-18-2018, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Rare? Not so rare on gaming laptops actually. But yeah, increasingly rare.

That's basically what Cyberlink indicated re: GPUs. Since I've already done 4K HDR gaming (and Dolby Atmos gaming) with my GTX1080-equipped PC, it's obviously possible to deliver the signal. Also the OEM software may be included with a PC that only supports BD playback and not UHD, just sayin'.

Anyhow, even if it's an exercise in nostalgia and discovering the limitations of the PC platform when it comes to UHD media, I'm happy to go through with it.
If I knew 18 and Nvidia supported UHD BD playback through the GTX1080, I'd go through with it, too.

Now I have to share something that is completely OT.

Last Saturday my wife and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary. To honor this great occasion, one of my wife's 7 sisters sent us a happy-annniversary card. The following appears on the card's cover:

"Happy Anniversary!

Marriage is like a deck of cards...
In the beginning all you need is two hearts and a diamond..........
By the end you wish you had a club and a spade!"

I won't attempt to gild the above lily except to say that my sister-in-law is quite a joker.
post #25 of 88 Old 04-19-2018, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
UHD pc drive

I’ve just bought a uhd pc drive from amazon japan in preparation to getting this software.
Was surprised to find out that it was the cheapest way to do it.
Came down to £115 with customs imports included.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B077SYZ6HT
post #26 of 88 Old 04-19-2018, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
Are there any other current software players besides PowerDVD that handle 3D MVC with complete menus?
DVDFab Player 5
https://www.dvdfab.cn/media-player.htm?trackID=headmenu
post #27 of 88 Old 04-19-2018, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I notice the following on DVDFab Player 5:

"The totally reinvented DVDFab Player 5 now offers all-round navigation menu playback support on DVDs, Blu-rays, and the unprotected new-generation 4K Ultra Blu-rays, regardless of what forms they are in, genuine discs, ripped ISO image files or folders."

Does the above mean what I think it means -- that this software will not play back commercial UHD BD movie disks?
post #28 of 88 Old 04-19-2018, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:

You sure about that? DVDFab Player 3 handles full menu UHD but no 3D MVC. The setting is greyed out. I asked early on about 3D with v.5 and was told it's still greyed out but being considered. Afaik, PowerDVD is the only player that produces 3D menu playback. Not to be confused with SBS or TAB limited rips that stripped out all the menus.

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1903 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D / Denon S720W
post #29 of 88 Old 04-19-2018, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

The quick and simple answer to this question is no, it will not. It still requires integrated Intel graphics as stated here - https://www.cyberlink.com/products/p...=2581_1326_540
Yet another non-starter for me. When they support other pathways, I might consider it.

My HT and the thrill of getting new equipment.
post #30 of 88 Old 04-19-2018, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
1050Ti and above already support Netflix UHD HDR playback, IIRC, with the requisite Windows software that implements the secure channel software - unfortunately, the name of it escapes me at the moment. So the drivers definitely support secure UHD/HDR playback. AMD is said to either be releasing a similar driver or has just recently released it that will also upport Netflix UHD/HDR. Netflix seems stringent on requiring a secure channel for their UHD material. I do not think that these requirements are much different than they are for UHD BR playback - but feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

What I suspect is that PowerDVD does not have the resources to change their software ATM, but eventually will support UHD BR playback with existing nVidia/AMD drivers. The complete secure pathway is there with the proper discrete GPUs, but as I said, my guess is PowerDVD has yet to implement this for something other than integrated Intel graphics.

My HT and the thrill of getting new equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
cyberlink , powerdvd 18 , ultra hd blu-ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page