Built a 4K capable HTPC, now what? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By hatbrox
  • 1 Post By Onkyoman
  • 1 Post By Onkyoman

post #1 of 16 Old 05-14-2018, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Built a 4K capable HTPC, now what?

Hi all,

So recently I upgraded my old sandy bridge based HTPC. The specs are as follows.

CPU : Intel i7-8700K
MotherBoard : Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5 Motherboard
Memory : G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz
GPU : NVIDIA Founders Edition 1080 TI
HeatSink : Used the previous Thermalright Silver Arrow Tower cooler
PSU : Previous Seasonic 800W Gold
Case : Previous SilverStone CW02

The HTPC is connected to a 4K capable AVR, the Denon AVR-X4400H. The TV is a Samsung 85" 4K with HDR10 and Dolby Vision.

Now that everything is setup.. I am not sure what needs to be done to enable 4K, HDR10 etc on this HTPC. Please give me a head start. The PC has been assembled, but now what needs to be done? What were your next steps once you put togather all the hardware for a 4K capable HTPC?

Last edited by holyindian; 05-24-2018 at 06:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-23-2018, 04:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi,

I was about to find myself in the same situation as you are now but after some help I received in this thread, I'm leaning to giving up using a PC for 4K playback.

I read on a nvidia gaming forum (sorry didn't keep that URL) that nvidia drivers used to have support for HDR and then switched to using windows 10 HDR setting. but it doesn't work well for HTPC use case.

however, you don't enable 4K. You just set the resolution of your windows to 4K (you need your TV and AV turned on for windows to detect the TV's max resolution)
for enabling HDR10, see previous link
forget about dolby vision, for now. I cannot post a link here (avsforum T&C are against it) but if you search for these terms in google search engine (dolby vision remux) , you should find a thread on Reddit about some promising development in enabling DV in certain containers that could, one day, be read by your PC.
dfa973 likes this.
post #3 of 16 Old 05-23-2018, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 110
For HDR playback, install MPC-BE x64 and madVR.

For madVR, enable HDR passthrough and send metadata to the TV.

For MPC-BE, enable DTS, DTS-HD, Dolby DD, and TrueHD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 05-23-2018, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatbrox View Post
Hi,

I was about to find myself in the same situation as you are now but after some help I received in this thread, I'm leaning to giving up using a PC for 4K playback.

I read on a nvidia gaming forum (sorry didn't keep that URL) that nvidia drivers used to have support for HDR and then switched to using windows 10 HDR setting. but it doesn't work well for HTPC use case.

however, you don't enable 4K. You just set the resolution of your windows to 4K (you need your TV and AV turned on for windows to detect the TV's max resolution)
for enabling HDR10, see previous link
forget about dolby vision, for now. I cannot post a link here (avsforum T&C are against it) but if you search for these terms in google search engine (dolby vision remux) , you should find a thread on Reddit about some promising development in enabling DV in certain containers that could, one day, be read by your PC.
The most recent Nvidia drivers still offer a private API for automatic HDR switching. Only madVR and DVDFab Player currently use this API.
hatbrox likes this.
post #5 of 16 Old 05-23-2018, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkyoman View Post
The most recent Nvidia drivers still offer a private API for automatic HDR switching. Only madVR and DVDFab Player currently use this API.
What about the Kodi built in player? Doesn't it use that as well?

My perpetual home theater build - Omaha Theater #5
post #6 of 16 Old 05-23-2018, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner View Post

The only way I'm aware kodi will do that is if Dsplayer version of kodi is used with MadVr
post #7 of 16 Old 05-23-2018, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Guebert View Post
The only way I'm aware kodi will do that is if Dsplayer version of kodi is used with MadVr

I suppose that makes sense given how old the player in Krypton really is. Let's hope V18 Leia changes things:

Video Player
Now comes on of the biggest changes over past year. The video playback which is of course where Kodi shines. Once designed for the old XBOX and old video standards there wasn’t really taken lot in account with future standards and the massive increasement of video resolution and new codecs. With future in mind work started to redesign this section and to split it from into its own component to not be hindered with whatever happens in the user interface or other parts. Making the sure video gets the highest CPU/GPU priority over anything else happening makes sure you don’t get stuttering video or audio when navigating. This sounds so obvious to do however this wasn’t done or even possible in the past. Parallel to that, parts are reworked to be a lot more efficient and need way less CPU while gaining quality. Higher resolutions like 4K and 8K are also kept in mind next to HDR and new video codecs once they become available.

My perpetual home theater build - Omaha Theater #5
post #8 of 16 Old 05-23-2018, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 337
If I'm not mistaken, there was a discussion about KODI using private API's and the answer was no. I assume this means hardware decoding isn't going to happen. Perhaps software decoding using CPU if it gets developed which means only a limited amount of high end rigs would benefit. Again, not certain about any of this.

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1903 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3&5 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D / Denon S720W
post #9 of 16 Old 05-24-2018, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

v18 of Kodi won't use the Windows method for HDR playback, the only way Kodi is likely to support HDR. I'm sure they'll come around and add this feature in the near future. They won't use private APIs because they are an open-source enterprise.

Hardware decoding on Windows uses universal APIs that cover all of the major GPU manufacturers. So, Kodi will decode 10-bit HEVC but it won't do HDR passthrough. It will do an HDR -> SDR conversion instead.
post #10 of 16 Old 05-24-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkyoman View Post
v18 of Kodi won't use the Windows method for HDR playback, the only way Kodi is likely to support HDR. I'm sure they'll come around and add this feature in the near future. They won't use private APIs because they are an open-source enterprise.

Hardware decoding on Windows uses universal APIs that cover all of the major GPU manufacturers. So, Kodi will decode 10-bit HEVC but it won't do HDR passthrough. It will do an HDR -> SDR conversion instead.
You don't seem to have much hope that Kodi will (natively) support HDR
So we're back to square one: external player
post #11 of 16 Old 05-24-2018, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatbrox View Post
You don't seem to have much hope that Kodi will (natively) support HDR
So we're back to square one: external player
They could natively support HDR using the Windows HDR toggle, and will likely do so, but their rules dictate they won't use any private APIs. Those APIs are the only way to auto switch in and out of HDR mode. Windows needs a major update to add universal app support for these color space conversions.
Worf likes this.
post #12 of 16 Old 05-25-2018, 04:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked: 3389
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner View Post
Kodi can be set to use an external player. There are plenty that support madvr such as dsplayer, mpc-hc, zoomplayer. Kodi can use any of these with madvr.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #13 of 16 Old 05-25-2018, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Kodi can be set to use an external player. There are plenty that support madvr such as dsplayer, mpc-hc, zoomplayer. Kodi can use any of these with madvr.
Sure and it's all detailed here.
but it's a lot of work, way too much.
and when things go wrong it's super hard to debug.

I now feel HDR is a bag of hurt. It's too soon to jump on the 4K/HDR bandwagon when you use a HTPC as your main disk or video file player.

I'm postponing my home theater upgrade. I'll wait for better and easier HDR/UHD/HDCP 2.2/HDMI 2.1 support in windows, Kodi etc...
My local library (where I rent 100% of my blurays) also announced that they will not support UHD bluray.

A friend who bought a LG OLED last xmas is also very pissed off by the burn-in and lack of brightness. Another reason to postpone everything by a couple of year.
post #14 of 16 Old 05-25-2018, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Yes, I agree that HDR can be a bag of hurt but, in the end, it's worth it. I use my Win10 HTPC to play back all of my media files on an OLED. It took a while to tweak the settings with the help of several AVSForum members.
post #15 of 16 Old 05-25-2018, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 155
My HTPC is now my only digital source for all music/movies/videos. UHD, blu-ray, DVD, CD, DVD-Audio, SACD, PCM, DSD, MLP, Stereo, Multi-Channel. I still have several analog sources, however.

Media Room: LG oled65c7, Marantz AV8805, Sherbourn 7/2100, Emotiva A-300, Studer A80, Studer Revox b795, Nakamichi RX-202, HTPC, exaSound e38, Sweetvinyl Sugarcube SC-2, (2) Piega P10, Piega Coax Center, (6) Piega AP 1.2, Hsu VTF-15h mk2
Office: Emotiva mini-x A100, Geek Pulse, (2) KEF LS-50, Goldenear FF 4, PC, NAS 130TB
Bedroom: Panasonic TCP55vt35, Marantz NR1200, Dune 3 Prime, (2) Elac Uni-Fi UB5
post #16 of 16 Old 05-26-2018, 04:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked: 3389
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post
My HTPC is now my only digital source for all music/movies/videos. UHD, blu-ray, DVD, CD, DVD-Audio, SACD, PCM, DSD, MLP, Stereo, Multi-Channel. I still have several analog sources, however.
If you add "games" then I'd say "same here".

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers