Why the #@$% does WMC keep deleting my recordings for absolutely no reason? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 08-25-2018, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Why the #@$% does WMC keep deleting my recordings for absolutely no reason?

Last year I got caught by surprise as I suddenly could no longer find older shows to rewatch. I found it was deleting one show for each new recording because the drive was full, I would have much rather it stop recording and tell me I'm out of space than delete files at random which I find beyond unacceptable.

Anyway I've since upgraded to a 12 TB drive and have plenty of free space and told WMC to use all of it. Again when trying to find an old show it's nowhere to be found and I see in WMC history it recently deleted it, yet I have countless TBs of free space.

If I can't find a way to strictly forbid WMC from deleting anything for any reason I will have to switch to another program after years of using WMC.

Why is WMC deleting one recording after an another for absolutely no reason? I'm sure glad I backup my recordings since a few years because the backups are needed on a regular basis to restore everything WMC deletes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-25-2018, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
There an option in the settings to automatically delete either old shows after as certain time or when drive space runs low. I can't remember how you get to it exactly or what the options are for the automatic deletion, but once you uncheck that box, you should be all good. My WMC was doing that to for a while too before I figured that out.

Try this: Settings->TV->Recorder->Recorder Defaults->Keep->Until I Delete

Sorry if you already tried this and it still doesn't work, that's all I got.
post #3 of 18 Old 08-25-2018, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktiondan View Post
There an option in the settings to automatically delete either old shows after as certain time or when drive space runs low. I can't remember how you get to it exactly or what the options are for the automatic deletion, but once you uncheck that box, you should be all good. My WMC was doing that to for a while too before I figured that out.

Try this: Settings->TV->Recorder->Recorder Defaults->Keep->Until I Delete

Sorry if you already tried this and it still doesn't work, that's all I got.

I think I mentioned it in my OP that it's already set to "keep until I delete" and "keep as many as possible". I'm looking for the "Don't ever delete anything for any reason whatsoever" option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 08-25-2018, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 270
One possibility is the settings for a show remain what they were when recorded. Later changing default to "never delete" won't change that.
post #5 of 18 Old 08-25-2018, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 417
From my experience, the only option that truly works in this case is to install a larger hard drive for your recordings. If you've got shows you want to keep then you're better off pulling them from the recorded TV folder and storing them elsewhere, like on a server. Otherwise you leave them at the mercy of WMC and whatever retention policy you've configured.
post #6 of 18 Old 08-26-2018, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
From my experience, the only option that truly works in this case is to install a larger hard drive for your recordings. If you've got shows you want to keep then you're better off pulling them from the recorded TV folder and storing them elsewhere, like on a server. Otherwise you leave them at the mercy of WMC and whatever retention policy you've configured.

I mentioned I got a 12 TB drive that still has TBs free yet it's still deleting stuff "to make space" for new shows. The exact reason WMC says is:

"<showname> was deleted by the system on <date> to create space to record <showname>. Of the 11175 GB quota, 3988 are now in use."

grittree's comment made me realize it could be show specific settings, which makes sense as it seems to be always the same few series it deletes. I looked around and saw each series has its own "Keep until" setting, and sure enough for the series getting deleted they were set to "Keep until space is needed" (though space wasn't needed), I changed them to "Keep until I delete", but do I need to check this setting for every series one by one? Is this something I set when I set a new recording? I don't remember that setting when setting new recordings.

Edit: Just setup a test recording to see how the settings are and I think I see the problem, I need to go to "Advanced record" and then choose "Keep until I delete", it must be shows where I just clicked the "Record series" button that defaulted to "Keep until space is needed".

At least now I know, I wish there was a reason to set it for all series at once.

Last edited by aab1; 08-26-2018 at 09:08 AM.
post #7 of 18 Old 08-26-2018, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 482
There is a WMC default setting you can change which applies to all new series recordings but not existing ones. You will have to change the existing recordings one by one. Not only that, each episode in a series can have its own Keep Until settings. Remember WMC was created back in dark ages when maximum volume size is 2TB. So, it may not work well with volume size > 2TB.
post #8 of 18 Old 08-26-2018, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab1 View Post
I mentioned I got a 12 TB drive that still has TBs free yet it's still deleting stuff "to make space" for new shows.

Yeah, I missed that earlier. I don't think I've ever used a drive larger than 2TB for recording shows with WMC. I always delete shows after I record them unless I plan to archive them. In that case I'll transfer the recording to my primary PC and edit them using VideoReDo and then archive them on my server. In your case, I would consider using a drive 2TB or less for recording and then move the extraneous shows over to the 12TB drive until you want to watch them. WMC allows you to set up a pool of multiple drives so perhaps you could partition the 12TB drive and split it up into smaller drives and then add the partitions as part of the RecordedTV pool. I don't know how many drives it will let you add to the pool so you may have to experiment and see if there's a limit. You could create six 2TB partitions (the sizes will actually be smaller than 2TB) and then see if you can add them all as part of the RecordedTV media library.
post #9 of 18 Old 09-22-2018, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

As some mentioned the "Keep until" setting is individual to each recording, so I'm still having things deleted on a regular basis that I need to later restore from my tape backups.

This has got to be by far the stupidest software design I've EVER seen. Every software engineer knows you make accidental deletion almost impossible to occur, for example by asking confirmation and making the default answer "No". WMC just deletes your stuff with absolutely no warning and preventing it is an absolute chore.

Considering I have several thousand recordings, is there not a way to tell WMC to not delete anything without going through thousands of recordings one by one? What if I mark all my recordings as "read only"? It's going to delete them anyway right?

I just restored the last batch of deleted recordings, but it's likely a matter of hours or days before it starts deleting stuff for no reason again.

BTW WMC correctly detects the size of the hard drive and available space, so I don't think it's because it's not recognizing my 12 TB drive's actual capacity.

Edit: I just marked all files in "Recorded TV" as read only, then tried to delete an unwanted one through WMC expecting it to work as usual. To my surprise, it said it could not be deleted because it's read only. If it now refuses to delete files even when I tell it too, hopefully it won't delete anything by itself.

Last edited by aab1; 09-22-2018 at 05:48 PM.
post #10 of 18 Old 09-22-2018, 10:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 524
You have to remember wmc acts like a dvr, and for the vast majority of people, they record programming, watch it, then leave it. When it needs to make space it deletes the oldest (presumably watched, or viewer not interested) tv program. That's the expected operation - users expect it to record the latest episode and delete the oldest automatically.

Why your wmc is deleting shows when you have plenty of disk space is more unusual. It normally wouldn't delete shows if there is space available (within the buffer you said it could have) as long as you set the show to keep as many as possible (instead of 5 or whatever it defaults to).
post #11 of 18 Old 11-28-2018, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
You have to remember wmc acts like a dvr, and for the vast majority of people, they record programming, watch it, then leave it. When it needs to make space it deletes the oldest (presumably watched, or viewer not interested) tv program. That's the expected operation - users expect it to record the latest episode and delete the oldest automatically.

Why your wmc is deleting shows when you have plenty of disk space is more unusual. It normally wouldn't delete shows if there is space available (within the buffer you said it could have) as long as you set the show to keep as many as possible (instead of 5 or whatever it defaults to).
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to chime in that I have a few WMC machines with large hard drives. My primary machine is Win 7 W/ two 8 TB drives, both for recorded TV. I don't have any issues with it using all the available disk space before it starts deleting things, as long as I tell the recorded that it can use all of the space.
post #12 of 18 Old 11-28-2018, 11:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 524
The problem is the OP wanted it to behave more like a PC than like a PVR appliance - and PVRs will always prioritize new recordings over older ones whereas PCs will ask. Of course, it will be annoying to manually manage recordings or get tons of "can I delete this show to make room for a new recording" dialogs while watching tv.

Of course it seems the OP also records everything on TV so even with tons of disk space you'll eventually run out.
post #13 of 18 Old 12-04-2018, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've never had this issue. My machine is set to keep until I delete and that's what it does, if space is low it won't record. The OP's machine must have either a fault of some kind or a setting he's not aware of. In either case a quick solution would be to move all recordings out of the Recorded TV folder as they are made, WMC won't delete them from outside the folder. I normally do this with anything I keep, I put them into separate folders for each series, all outside the Recorded TV folder. But even stuff in that folder is never deleted because of my settings.

Rob
post #14 of 18 Old 12-05-2018, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab1 View Post
Considering I have several thousand recordings, is there not a way to tell WMC to not delete anything without going through thousands of recordings one by one? What if I mark all my recordings as "read only"? It's going to delete them anyway right?

The simplest and best solution is to keep your recordings on a server instead of leaving them at the mercy of your WMC PC. I've never heard of anyone keeping that many recordings on the same machine that they use as a DVR. You're just begging to have them deleted by doing that. I archive all of my recordings on a server that I can access using Plex or Kodi or JRMC or just about any other type of media center app that I choose. Of course, I have all of the commercials edited out and I converted everything to mkv files so they can be played back on any device. I recently started to record the series Rock Legends on AXS TV. I just record them and let ShowAnalyzer map the commercials and then transfer them all to a shared folder on my server. I have that folder mapped as a media file for Recorded TV in WMC so it shows up in my recorded shows. I can select them for playback and skip commercials as if they were still on my WMC PC hard drive. Currently I only have a 1TB drive on my WMC PC for recordings and I find that it's more than enough. WMC doesn't delete any of the shows since the majority of them don't reside on the PC.
post #15 of 18 Old 12-05-2018, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 84
How many bits is the os ie: 32 or 64?
I seem to remember that 32 can't address a large drive. And, probably unrelated, but also can't deal with long file path names.
If this is the case, maybe a workaround is to partition the large drive into several virtual drives so each is considered smaller.
somewhere, 4TB is what I remember as the largest partition.
post #16 of 18 Old 12-05-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothtlk View Post
How many bits is the os ie: 32 or 64?
I seem to remember that 32 can't address a large drive. And, probably unrelated, but also can't deal with long file path names.
Both are not true unless you are talking about Windows 95/98.
post #17 of 18 Old 12-05-2018, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 84
If the drive is Fat32 formatted, then 2TB is the XP and 2003 limit. MCE was 2003 based, but not sure if that defaulted to NTFS...been so long...
post #18 of 18 Old 12-05-2018, 03:47 PM

Again, you are thinking of win9x. WMC discussed here is win7 or later, not XP.

Again, 32-bit OS has none of those limitations you suggested.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page