post #1 of 12 Old 09-16-2018, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 84
UPS recommendation

Hello,

I have a Benq W2000 projector and would like to get an UPS for it.

I allready have an UPS rated 800VA/480W which does not work properly. If (with charged battery) I unplug the UPS's mains while the PJ is off and I start it up the UPS is fine for a few minutes. It beeps rapidly, which the manual indicates as overload, after which it looses power and beeps continuously, manual claims Faulty UPS.
However if I unplug the mains while the PJ is ON, I instantly loose power and the unit beeps continuously.

I tested a monitor, was fine, beeped every 10 seconds indicating it was on battery.
I tested the PC unit, beeped every 10 seconds and lost power after about 4 minutes (beeped continuously).
I unplugged the UPS main for both of these while running and were fine.

I assume it's because the PJ is more demaning(?). The PJ lamp has 240w, and the estimated consumption according the benq website is 353w.
What model should I get?

Last edited by noob00224; 09-16-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-16-2018, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Here is the UPS I have been using for the last three years without an issue. Cost me $88.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

LG OLED55C6P
Sony STRDH770, Sony UBP-X800, Sony PS3 160
2 - Polk TSi300, 1 - Polk CS10, 4 - Polk T15, 1 - Polk PSW125
post #3 of 12 Old 09-16-2018, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

@Seilerbird if the power goes out and the PJ (or TV) is on, does it stay on?
On your own equipment I mean.

I paid for the UPS about $60, that one is about $120 locally. It's strange that the performance seem to be higher on mine, yet cheaper.
Is this a case of the manufacterer lying about the specs?

I still don't understand why the UPS works fine when I turn the PJ on with the mains unplugged, but stops if I unplug the mains while the PJ is on.

Last edited by noob00224; 09-16-2018 at 09:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 09-16-2018, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I have a few CyberPower ones (mini-towers w/ LCD) that I'm happy with. However, unless your area has power outages often, it seems like a waste of money to me. I'd save the money for the next projector upgrade instead of investing against some lost hours on your current projector's bulb.

-tm
post #5 of 12 Old 09-16-2018, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

@millst what kind of pj? And what Cyber Power model?

Unfortunately it happens about twice a week (sometimes more often), and I understand this can damage the bulb, not just loose hours.

Last edited by noob00224; 09-16-2018 at 01:59 PM.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-17-2018, 08:23 AM

As I said, I think it's a waste of money so I don't use a UPS for my JVC. I think I've had a single power outage during projector use in ~15 years. I have models similar to the CP850PFCLCD for different purposes e.g. computer.

If you have power problems like that, then I understand the interest. CP makes AVR specific models, too.

Not sure if that is actually true. Obviously, the excess heat is not great for the bulb, but I've never seen anything scientific. Just baseless speculation and anecdotes. A new UPS is probably 1/3 the cost of a new bulb...

-tm

Last edited by millst; 09-17-2018 at 08:27 AM.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-17-2018, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

[QUOTE=millst;56822330]A new UPS is probably 1/3 the cost of a new bulb.../QUOTE]

You're probably right.
One like the amazon link above is about half the price of a bulb, and a 700W APC is about $170.
I might still get it for future projectors, when I upgrade to a more expensive unit.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-20-2018, 01:38 AM

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I think your problem with your UPS is it is trying to power an induction load instead of resistive load. Induction loads are harder for the inverter to power. You may want take the amount of watts and multiply it by four to get plenty of power. Probably CyberPower OR1500PFCLCD is what you need. Be careful with simulated sine wave or modified sine wave based UPS when used with induction loads. Induction loads will have different performance on simulated sine wave or modified sine wave based UPS. Every UPS is different, so you have to find which works well for your projector. I don't know projectors. I suggest asking in the projector forum.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-20-2018, 08:18 AM

The general speculation I've seen has been that anything that isn't a true sine wave is not great for the projector. Is running it briefly to properly shut down and cool the projector worse than loss of power? Probably not. Again, nothing scientific.

You can spend more to get a better sine wave approximation, but that just makes the value proposition even worse (and I'd say it was not a good value to begin with). Why spend $300 to protect a discontinued $1200 projector?

-tm

Last edited by millst; 09-20-2018 at 08:21 AM.
post #10 of 12 Old 10-17-2018, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Usually the power outages only last a few seconds. The PC restarts itself, the PJ immediately turns off (the UPS does not kick in).
Had a outage the other day that lasted longer. The PC shut itself off, the projector lost signal but stayed on (the UPS kicked in).
Both the PC and the UPS (+PJ) are plugged in the same extension cord.

I thought that it might have something to do with the HDMI beeing connected to a live PC. I did some tests.
The UPS kicked in when I:
Unplugged the extension cord from the wall socket (with all 3 devices PC, monitor, UPS (+PJ).
The UPS did not kick in when I:
Unplugged the HDMI cable from the GPU, then unplugged the UPS.
Unplugged the PC and the monitor, then unplugged the UPS.

I will upgrade to a higher end PJ and I see the lamps can go for around $650, so I will want an capable UPS.
post #11 of 12 Old 10-18-2018, 09:05 AM

The UPS doesn’t care about any connections downstream. It’s a simple switchover from line power to battery power when an outage is detected. Either your UPS has a bad battery, is damaged or is overloaded. Disconnecting equipment affects the load.

-tm
noob00224 likes this.
post #12 of 12 Old 10-19-2018, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked: 422
There are several factors to consider when shopping for a UPS. Aside from providing temporary battery backup to your equipment when the power goes out you should also consider one that provides surge protection and power regulation. Electrical spikes can cause more damage to your hardware than loss of power. You should look for one that provides filtering and regulation to give you the cleanest, most stable power input to your components. You should also consider one that provides a true sine wave output. A $60 UPS isn't going to do much to protect your equipment and is comparable to using a leaky condom. Not a lot of protection and the risk of a catastrophic event is very likely.

Instead of using a UPS for your projector you might want to consider a standalone power filter and regulator that basically does everything I described except for the battery backup. You don't really need a battery backup for a projector, but it's good to have the protection from dirty power and energy spikes. I haven't shopped for one in quite a while but there are models by APC, Tripplite, and Monster that should do the trick. There are others out there and you might want to check some of the other forums for recommendations.
noob00224 likes this.

Last edited by captain_video; 10-19-2018 at 06:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page