Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-13-2018, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HTPC built but help needed

Hi all!

1st, let me say that I have enjoyed this site for a long, long time. I had a guy from MS help us out making a complete projection for a rural area that had little money. So this place has been a great source of information and help!

Ok.. this is personal... LOL. I have built a PC for all things and I hope I got it right! Here is my build:

HTPC
Ryzen 1700
3200 Ram 8 gigs
Asus Rog Strix b350
EVGA 1070 FW2
Windows 10 pro 64 bit

TV:
Sharp 4k

My questions:

1- I want to build up my 4K library. What hardware system should I use? Storage system

2- I use Kodi. Any thoughts on using it?

3- I have been using Sling. But again, I'm looking for ideas and suggestions to make my HTPC better.

AND MOST IMPORTANT TO ME CURRENTLY:

4- remote control with Voice

Any and all help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-14-2018, 12:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgriff View Post
1- I want to build up my 4K library. What hardware system should I use? Storage system
If you have to ask what you should used then you didn't do any research. Look up unRAID, SnapRAID, and FlexRAID.

Quote:
2- I use Kodi. Any thoughts on using it?
Kodi is a pretty file manager for your media. Also it's alternative to Roku and Apple TV. I don't understand this question.

Quote:
3- I have been using Sling. But again, I'm looking for ideas and suggestions to make my HTPC better.
Sling doesn't come with local channels. You can add Silicon Dust HDHomerun. They come in two or four tuner. There is a model that encodes the MPEG-TS (MPEG-2) stream into MPEG-4 work with tablets and smartphones.

Quote:
4- remote control with Voice
If you are OK with having Alexa in your home, there is an SDK for Alexa that you can create custom tasks.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-14-2018, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecknurd View Post
If you have to ask what you should used then you didn't do any research. Look up unRAID, SnapRAID, and FlexRAID.

Kodi is a pretty file manager for your media. Also it's alternative to Roku and Apple TV. I don't understand this question.

Sling doesn't come with local channels. You can add Silicon Dust HDHomerun. They come in two or four tuner. There is a model that encodes the MPEG-TS (MPEG-2) stream into MPEG-4 work with tablets and smartphones.

If you are OK with having Alexa in your home, there is an SDK for Alexa that you can create custom tasks.
Thanks for the home work! Will research it all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-14-2018, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked: 528
Controlling a HTPC remotely is a big issue. Their are many solutions but unfortunately none work very well for everything except a wireless mini keyboard/mouse pad. I prefer a wand style remote with buttons or what we call a 10ft interface. KODI works great with a remote as you can navigate everything but unfortunately their are no steaming apps in KODI for the likes of Netflix etc (you can open external apps within KODI). The Netflix app in win10 will play pause with a remote but you can't navigate the menus and it's the same with all win10 apps so a keyboard/mouse is required. As far as voice control I have little experience but I believe Microsoft's voice app can control Netflix and others. A simple streaming box like a FireTV can run it all including KODI with a single remote with Amazons voice control.

Some of the other solutions are using a tablet or phone but I personally can't stand them as loging back in , navigating with out tactical feel, poor battery life etc is just too annoying.

For storage the simplest although the most expensive is a commercial NAS like a Sinology or Drobo. I personally have a Drobo and if it gets low on storage or a drive fails I just swap it out with a new or bigger drive and I can pretty much forget about it.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #5 of 9 Old 10-20-2018, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2264 Post(s)
Liked: 2497
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
...unfortunately their are no steaming apps in KODI for the likes of Netflix etc (you can open external apps within KODI).

Netflix works in Kodi 18.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=329767
post #6 of 9 Old 10-20-2018, 10:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Interesting, but from reading the direction sounds kind of sketchy. I don't think it supports navigating the Netflix menus from Kodi but does allow you to add items to Kodi's library. When and if I upgrade to 18 maybe I will give it a try but still can't get 17 to work without a lot of bugs especially ATMOS bitstreaming.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #7 of 9 Old 10-21-2018, 04:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 627
You can navigate the menus. You are just limited to 1080p playback. You shouldn't have to add anything to your library, just login with your account.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-21-2018, 04:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2264 Post(s)
Liked: 2497
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
Interesting, but from reading the direction sounds kind of sketchy. I don't think it supports navigating the Netflix menus from Kodi but does allow you to add items to Kodi's library. When and if I upgrade to 18 maybe I will give it a try but still can't get 17 to work without a lot of bugs especially ATMOS bitstreaming.
It doesn't have the native Netflix UI but you can navigate the Netflix menus. Some of the menus don't open for me but I'm sure the bugs will be worked out eventually. I'm using a Raspberry Pi 2 to test Leia so it probably works a lot better on faster hardware.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-21-2018, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Until Netflix has an authorized app for Kodi it will never work very well and I doubt it will ever happen. I switched my HTPC to Win10 just so I could get ATMOS on Netflix but the UI and general picture quality from Netflix authorized app sucks compared to my $70 FireTV. Netflix and Hulu have very little desire to support HTPC.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page