PC as a media streamer through my AVR keeps resetting - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By markmon1

post #1 of 14 Old 11-20-2018, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 42
PC as a media streamer through my AVR keeps resetting

Hi all, I have a PC that I use as a media streamer, running windows 10. when the PC is plugged directly into the TV using an HDMI cable, its fine and doesn't reset. But when I have the PC going through my Denon AVR, then to the TV, sometimes the PC resets itself. there is no error message or anything, its like someone presses the reset button on the PC. Do you know why this would happen?

Family Room: Onkyo TX-NR 646 AVR, Polk Audio RtiA3 fronts, Polk Audio CSiA4 center, BIC America F12 sub, Polk Audio RC-65i rears
Basement: Denon AVR-X3400 AVR, Klipsch RP280f fronts, RP450c center, SVS PB-2000 sub, Polk Audio RC-85i rears & surrounds
Www.jvpix.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-20-2018, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2845
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocci View Post
Hi all, I have a PC that I use as a media streamer, running windows 10. when the PC is plugged directly into the TV using an HDMI cable, its fine and doesn't reset. But when I have the PC going through my Denon AVR, then to the TV, sometimes the PC resets itself. there is no error message or anything, its like someone presses the reset button on the PC. Do you know why this would happen?
Do you mean that the computer actually reboots or that the HDMI audio and video go away for a while?
(In some cases, I suspect that losing the HDMI connection, if that's your only display, might cause a reboot.)

HDMI signal dropouts and HDCP resets most often are caused by inadequate HDMI cables. Plugging the PC directly into the TV is not an adequate test, since going through the receiver involves two HDMI cables, not just one, and both of them are degrading the signal. Make sure all of the HDMI cables are "Certified Premium". They come with a special holographic ID card and do not cost any more than regular (inadequate) High Speed cables.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #3 of 14 Old 11-20-2018, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes it reboots. So if it only happens when plugged into the receiver, then it must be the cable that gies from the avr to the tv, which is certified premium. I got it from monoprice.

Family Room: Onkyo TX-NR 646 AVR, Polk Audio RtiA3 fronts, Polk Audio CSiA4 center, BIC America F12 sub, Polk Audio RC-65i rears
Basement: Denon AVR-X3400 AVR, Klipsch RP280f fronts, RP450c center, SVS PB-2000 sub, Polk Audio RC-85i rears & surrounds
Www.jvpix.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 11-20-2018, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4639 Post(s)
Liked: 2943
Quote:
Yes it reboots. So if it only happens when plugged into the receiver, then it must be the cable that gies from the avr to the tv, which is certified premium. I got it from monoprice.
You can check your event viewer logs and see. But most likely is a bug check in the video driver causing a reboot. There could be a flaky cable between AVR and PC and your video driver is not handling it properly.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #5 of 14 Old 11-20-2018, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2845
Quote:
Have you tried connecting the PC to different inputs on the receiver?

A possibility is that there's a problem with whichever of the receiver's HDMI inputs that you're using for the PC.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #6 of 14 Old 11-20-2018, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

here's a little wrench in the mix I forgot to mention. it only seems to happen when the PC is going through the AVR and I'm streaming something from https://www.rogersanyplacetv.com/. Again, if I stream from this site without going through my AVR, the PC doesn't reboot. if I keep the PC without any windows open, it will not reboot, even when going through the AVR. As a test i'm going to try streaming something from youtube and see if it reboots. does anyone know of a really long video that's about 2 hours?

Www.jvpix.com
post #7 of 14 Old 11-20-2018, 09:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Is your of blue screening or something? Windows is set to reboot if it crashes and it can happen so fast on modern machines that it just appears to blink, with the display unable to show anything as it's switching modes and windows auto reboots. You can go to the advanced startup options panel and have it not do this so you can read the text and find out the real error code. Some codes can be traced to hardware issues (CPU cooler failure, for example, RAM problems, or other issues) while others may be software.

The other possibility is your power supply is marginal and somehow the AVR is causing it to draw just that little bit more power. The PC then reboots because the power rails collapse and trigger brownout devices. If the motherboard is somewhat older it can cause this as well - bad caps providing insufficient smoothing or other motherboard power fault.
post #8 of 14 Old 11-21-2018, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I will go into the startup options and do this. thanks for everyone's suggestions, these are all awesome. the PC is old unfortunately, probably about 4-5 years old. what i'm also going to do is plug my son's PC into the AVR and see how that goes. he built it a year ago. all new parts.

Www.jvpix.com
post #9 of 14 Old 11-22-2018, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

update: last night I plugged the PC into the CD player HDMI port of the AVR and was watching the hockey game. when the 1st period ended, I went upstairs for a bit. then when I came down, the PC had already rebooted. I had even disabled the auto reboot feature. so that means its not a problem with the HDMI port of the AVR. And to the person who said it could be happening because the AVR is pulling too much power from the PC, that can't be the problem because the other night we watched a 2 hour movie from the same PC and it never rebooted. The PC seems to only reboot when streaming something from www.rogersanyplacetv.com. if I leave the PC on the menu of that site, it doesn't reboot. only when i'm actually streaming something. so I guess this points to the video card? I'll try my son's PC this weekend and see what happens.

Www.jvpix.com
post #10 of 14 Old 11-22-2018, 11:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Could still be a power problem, marginal power supplies, in either the motherboard VRMs or the power supply itself can cause all sorts of lockup and reset problems. Sometimes it can be as simple as bumping up the CPU voltage a tiny bit in the bios to compensate. One of my old PCs became super stable when I raised the CPU voltage by a mere 50mV (0.05V) when before it would randomly crash and reboot. That's the extent of the "tiny" bit - no more than 200 mV (0.2V) tops to avoid real hardware damage.

This is especially true if the power supply came with the case (replace with a high quality supply).
post #11 of 14 Old 11-23-2018, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So streaming a hockey game in 1080 resolution can affect the power supply where watching a 4k movie might not?

Www.jvpix.com
post #12 of 14 Old 11-23-2018, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4639 Post(s)
Liked: 2943
Quote:
So streaming a hockey game in 1080 resolution can affect the power supply where watching a 4k movie might not?
As this was ignored outright, I'll try again.

You can check your event viewer logs and see. But most likely is a bug check in the video driver causing a reboot. There could be a flaky cable between AVR and PC and your video driver is not handling it properly.

Go into your event viewer (hit windows key, type event viewer), go to the windows system logs then find the date/time of the last "reboot" and look just before that and look for a bugcheck event. You should see all the events logged as the system boots up, and before that you will see something like "system recovered from unexpected shutdown" or such. Before that you may see some useful info such as a bug check event.

Paste that data here.
Foxbat121 likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.

Last edited by markmon1; 11-23-2018 at 05:26 AM.
post #13 of 14 Old 11-23-2018, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Windows have Automatically Restart enabled when there is a system failure. Any error or blue screen that will be display will not be displayed. To see the blue screen when there is system error, type Advanced System Properties after clicking the start menu or window menu. Click on Advanced tab. Locate Startup and Recovery. Click on Settings. Find Automatically Restart under system failure section (frame). I recommend do this to all computers that you have, so you can post the error code.

If you think that it's a power issue, first use a AC checker to make sure the AC wiring is done correctly. If not, the computer can have weird issues. You can either do it your self to correct wiring or have an electrician do it. In the US, we use something like the following to check the AC wiring.

3-Wire Receptacle Tester - https://www.amazon.com/Power-Gear-Receptacle-Indications-50542/dp/B002LZTKIA
post #14 of 14 Old 11-24-2018, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Update: i just successfully streamed a 4.5 hour movie from netfix website without it rebooting. I think the reboots only happen when streaming from www.rogersanyplacetv.com. I will keep doing testing.

Www.jvpix.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
avr , computer , hdmi , reset , streamer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page