madVR Tool: MadmeasureHDR Optimizer (Measurements, Dynamic Clipping & Target Nits) - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1014Likes

post #331 of 1208 Old 01-13-2019, 11:11 PM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 98
@Soulnight I'm looking forward to trying it out tonight with dynamic tone mapping working.

Last night I had a quick look at using a low value for minimum chapter length (48) and while it improved some scenes there were obvious problems with others. The default chapter settings are pretty good, it's very stable and smooth but there is the occasional 'bad' target change. Although I think these can be resolved if the way the algorithm handles bright spots is improved as the only target changes which stood out to me were when the target was too high. I'm not sure if that's similar to what @Neo-XP has seen too.

Having the new options is great though and now being able to see the FALL in the OSD will help a lot dialing in the settings 😉

I like when it reacts quickly to scenes which are at or close to the minimum target (dark scenes) but when it reacts quickly to brighter scenes the targets can be all over the place and it can be distracting.
Manni01 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 1208 Old 01-14-2019, 02:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Sorry SOULNIGHT I came a doubt, having my screen a REAL brightness of 91nits in "Minimal target nits / real display peak nits" I put 91, but in:

1.Maximal target nits
2.Time for rolling average in frames:
3.Dynamic Target Nits Tuning [50-100]
4.Merge scenes [FALL change in%]
5.Minimal chapter duration in frames
6.Merge chapters [avgFALL change in%]

what do you suggest to set up?
post #333 of 1208 Old 01-14-2019, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanelli73 View Post
Sorry SOULNIGHT I came a doubt, having my screen a REAL brightness of 91nits in "Minimal target nits / real display peak nits" I put 91, but in:

1.Maximal target nits
2.Time for rolling average in frames:
3.Dynamic Target Nits Tuning [50-100]
4.Merge scenes [FALL change in%]
5.Minimal chapter duration in frames
6.Merge chapters [avgFALL change in%]

what do you suggest to set up?
Stick with the default settings for most of it and see how it looks. For the dynamic tuning a value closer to 50 gives a brighter image and a value closer to 100 will be darker but more contrasty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 1208 Old 01-14-2019, 02:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 569 Post(s)
Quoted: 2744 Post(s)
Liked: 3846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelpowa View Post
Regarding the main topic, for me this implementation is superb, just how I was expecting hdr to behave in protectors.

Before it was always a compromise with the settings searching a value that could work during the whole film but never was the best you could get out of each scene.

Now it works wonderful keeping dark scenes dark but with details and contrast and bright scenes never look overblown and the hdr effect is there always.

So from my understanding and what I speak with my colleagues, this is a dream come truth.

We could not imagine our projectors could deliver such a beautiful and rich of contrast picture in hdr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTechi View Post
I just can speak as standard user with a projector currently at arround 70nits. For me watching movies with optimized measurement files is more enjoyable than ever before. It might not be directors intent anymore, which I would prefar as well, but it's the best compromise we can get at least with a projector.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty01 View Post
I only watched a couple of hours with the dynamic target nits and I really like it. I didnt notice anything off or wrong, just perfect brightness all the way long.
Ok, thanks for your feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulnight View Post
I understand your theoretical issue with changing target nits in the same movie.
However, there is not only one key aspect for director intent but multiple.

1)
If you have 100nits on your screen, and you have a target nits of 100, and the frames peaks are all below 100, then you are watching the content untouched following director intent for brightness, color, saturation and everything else.

Now, if you put a static target nits of 400 nits, but your display is still 100nits, and the frames peaks are still below 100nits in that chapter, then you are watching the content 4 times to dark compared to the director intent.

2)
Watching "The MEG" or "The shallows" enable to understand another key point of director intend.
--> The director didn't want us to compress A LOT all the highlights. When doing that, it changes director intend.

For the MEG outside scene, 1000 target nits shows you the picture much closer to the director intend than if you use a fixed target nits of 500 or so.
Even with a target nits of 500, highlights are completely blown out and it was definetly not how it was meant to be seen.
With 1000nits target nits or more, now the picture looks much better balanced and the highlights are compressed much less.
With 1000 target nits, it still looks bright enough as well.

So respecting the original picture and not compressing as much (even if it costs global brightness) goes more toward respecting original intend than not.
Fair enough. But isn't The Meg arguably encoded incorrectly? I mean just imagine watching it on a *true* 10,000 nits display. Wouldn't you need to wear sunglasses to be able to bear it?

Quote:
In my opinion and to my eyes, we are now much closer to the director intent with our "dynamic target nits" algo that we were ever before with a static target nits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
There is no doubt that we are overall closer to the director's intent with dynamic targets using chapters than we were with static target nits.
Ok, good to hear that.

Quote:
Soulnight's current implementation only works well enough from a "director's intent" point of view with chapters. I don't see how you could achieve this with the live algo, because you need to parse the whole file to identify chapters in order to assign stable targets over time. Or you'd have to have a buffer of at least 90 seconds before the film starts. Hardly something that most users would be happy with...

[...]

Agreed regarding director's intent, but again the current results can't be obtained without a measurements file.
Why are you already concluding that it can't be done without a measurement file, before I even started trying? Don't you know that Tinkerbell keeps me nicely stocked with fairy dust?

In any case, let's assume that I can achieve similar results to Soulnight's chapter solution, without having a measurement file: In that case, do you still have any worries about director's intent? If not, IMHO we can consider the matter closed, and we don't even need to try your approach, because when looking at each video frame separately, there's zero doubt that Soulnight's approach will have higher image quality, because the tone mapping curve is simply better. The only area where your approach could have advantages is temporal stability. But if you don't see any problems in that area with Soulnight's approach, then it doesn't really seem to be an issue, after all?

(Of course if it should play out that I can't achieve the same results without a measurement file, we'll have to reinvestigate. But as I said before, I see no reason why it shouldn't work well without a measurement file.)

Quote:
Soulnight's approach is still a preference thing, because it remains a compromise between target stability and resolution of shadows / highlights.
So you do still see issues with stability?

Quote:
On the other hand, if we say that what we're trying is to emulate a Dolby Cinema grade for projectors in a dedicated room (which is what I'm advocating for), you can in fact have zero user input for this mode. The user only has to set their peak brightness to 107nits (in reality it should work fine for anyone with a peak brightness between 90nits and 120nits or so).
FYI, it seems DCI is re-evaluating the 48 nits. See here:

http://www.dcimovies.com/announcemen...y_20180511.pdf

FWIW, it's related to HDR, so I'm not completely sure if they just want to raise the peak luminance but keep diffuse white at 48 nits, or if they want to increase diffuse white, as well.

In any case, I do wonder if the reason why they picked 48 nits in the first place was really that they thought it looked better than 100 nits, or maybe it was because they knew aiming for 100 nits would have increased costs too much?

Quote:
The question is whether having a "hybrid" curve with 0-100fixed and 100-10000nits dynamic would work better than the current dynamic implementation or not.

Your examples above is why I keep saying that watching HDR in a dedicated room means at least 100nits peak brightness (Dolby Cinema HDR uses 107nits, vs 48nits in SDR):

That way you have 0-48 nits for 0-100nits in the content (100% stable, and as the director intended for a Dolby Cinema grade with has a diffuse white at 48nits, not 100nits as with the consumer UHD bluray grade). 48 nits (50nits to simplify) is where you want diffuse white in a dedicated room with a projector.

And 48-real peak (at least 100nits) for 101-10000nits in the content (peak brightness wouldn't change, but the target would be adjusted dynamically for that part of the curve).

This fixed 2:1 ratio for below diffuse white (or whatever we decide on, it could be adjusted depending on the actual brightness of the content) is what we want for best stability. All the time. During the whole film.

Your algo works better for users with 50nits peak nits or less.

I think mine might work better for close to 100nits actual peak or more (if it works at all).

Although your algo works already very well for 100nits and more, as we all know
I wonder if maybe DCI masters are mastered differently to account for 48 nits maybe needing a little push to render shadow detail nicely? Obviously UHD Blu-Rays were mastered with displays in mind which can do 400nits+, so shadow detail was encoded with diffuse white set to 100 nits. Now if we take that content and render it with diffuse white at 48 nits, isn't there a danger that we might lose some shadow detail? Wouldn't it be better to actually (try to) reproduce UHD Blu-Rays at 100 nits diffuse white even with our dim projectors?

E.g. using the dark The Revenant scene, does it look better with "Minimum target nits" set to 100 or to 200, using Soulnight's tool?
Manni01 likes this.
post #335 of 1208 Old 01-14-2019, 02:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter Kane View Post
Stick with the default settings for most of it and see how it looks. For the dynamic tuning a value closer to 50 gives a brighter image and a value closer to 100 will be darker but more contrasty.
For "Dynamic Target Nits Tuning", i tried 50, 75 and 100, 50 in my case I found it too bright, 100 a bit too dark in some situations, 75 is a good compromise.
Dexter Kane likes this.
post #336 of 1208 Old 01-14-2019, 02:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked: 1797
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

Fair enough. But isn't The Meg arguably encoded incorrectly? I mean just imagine watching it on a *true* 10,000 nits display. Wouldn't you need to wear sunglasses to be able to bear it?

E.g. using the dark The Revenant scene, does it look better with "Minimum target nits" set to 100 or to 200, using Soulnight's tool?
To 1)
The meg was just one example.
This holds true for any movie/chapters where there are bright Highlights.
And most movies do have those "chapters". (The shallows, deadpool, harry potter...)

Compriming them heavily kills the director intent: overall picture depth, hdr effect and also colors since to compress you need to reduce saturation.

2) I always suggest to put the minimum target nits equal to your real display nits.
Doing that, when peaks nits drops below that limit, you are watching the content as intended/encoded from brightness perspective. No tone mapping applied or compression applied.

So in my case it looks better using 50 minimum target nits because I have 50nits on my screen.

The dark chapters in the revenant look very good with this. Same for the shallow (night scene with peak in the 30ish regions).
Same for deadpool when he rises from the ashes at night.

Btw. The current target nits dynamic algo always takes the peak nits as target nits for anything below 100nits so that you never have to tone map. You just render untouched.

For someone having 100 real display nits on the screen, using a minimum target of 100 will result in perfect 1:1 rendering of any chapter with frame peak below 100nits.
And that's quite a lot of chapters actually.
Manni01 likes this.

Last edited by Soulnight; 01-14-2019 at 02:46 AM.
post #337 of 1208 Old 01-14-2019, 02:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Quoted: 5617 Post(s)
Liked: 5922
Quote:
Why are you already concluding that it can't be done without a measurement file, before I even started trying? Don't you know that Tinkerbell keeps me nicely stocked with fairy dust?
Well now if you have fairy dust...

Of course if you can achieve what we're doing at the moment with chapters using the live algo, that's 50% of the benefits of trying my approach (or any other that doesn't need measurements files) gone.

Quote:
In any case, let's assume that I can achieve similar results to Soulnight's chapter solution, without having a measurement file: In that case, do you still have any worries about director's intent? If not, IMHO we can consider the matter closed, and we don't even need to try your approach, because when looking at each video frame separately, there's zero doubt that Soulnight's approach will have higher image quality, because the tone mapping curve is simply better. The only area where your approach could have advantages is temporal stability. But if you don't see any problems in that area with Soulnight's approach, then it doesn't really seem to be an issue, after all?

(Of course if it should play out that I can't achieve the same results without a measurement file, we'll have to reinvestigate. But as I said before, I see no reason why it shouldn't work well without a measurement file.)
I can't see how it can't work without one and without a fairly long buffer (at least 90 seconds), but I don't have a deal with Tinkerbell either

Quote:
So you do still see issues with stability?
I'm super busy with work at the moment so I've only had a chance to do very limited testing. I reported the obvious issues and Soulnight has adressed the most important ones, i.e. those that you could see with any content. I personally haven't seen anything, but I've only watched a few clips. Not had the time to watch a whole film. Others have reported issues which could be adressed by further improvements of Soulnight's algo, such as the handling of bright spots, but I haven't had the time to check the very latest version with a wide variety of content. So I can't answer this question yet.

Quote:
FYI, it seems DCI is re-evaluating the 48 nits. See here:

http://www.dcimovies.com/announcemen...y_20180511.pdf

FWIW, it's related to HDR, so I'm not completely sure if they just want to raise the peak luminance but keep diffuse white at 48 nits, or if they want to increase diffuse white, as well.

In any case, I do wonder if the reason why they picked 48 nits in the first place was really that they thought it looked better than 100 nits, or maybe it was because they knew aiming for 100 nits would have increased costs too much?

I wonder if maybe DCI masters are mastered differently to account for 48 nits maybe needing a little push to render shadow detail nicely? Obviously UHD Blu-Rays were mastered with displays in mind which can do 400nits+, so shadow detail was encoded with diffuse white set to 100 nits. Now if we take that content and render it with diffuse white at 48 nits, isn't there a danger that we might lose some shadow detail? Wouldn't it be better to actually (try to) reproduce UHD Blu-Rays at 100 nits diffuse white even with our dim projectors?
Thanks, I'll read the link later, no time now. There is no doubt that the Dolby Cinema grade handles shadow details differently. The problem is that 107 is a realistic target for most projectors users having a recent HDR capable model. More than that isn't.

Regarding reproducing bluray at 100nits diffuse white, it would be an option if we could easily reach 200nits or more. I can with a new lamp, with the iris fully openk, for about 500 hours. But that's because my screen is only 88" diag 16x9 with an effective gain of 1.1. So not really an option for maybe 90% of projector users, at least in the U.S. where screen size tends to be at least 100" 2.40 and many use an AT screen with negative gain.

So even if DCI goes higher, that doesn't help us with the consumer grade.

Quote:
There is zero doubt that in this freaky example (the scene peaks at 6nits!) showing it with a target of 100nits looks better. I even agree with Soulnight that with some titles, for example some without any highlights or with very little highlights, using a 1:1 ratio looks better and doesn't look too bright, even in a dedicated room. My issue isn't with excessive brightness anymore, it's with stability and respect of intent in all situations.

I also agree 100% that the hybrid curve I suggest might be a big issue, and that it could create problems that would override stability gains.

I really have no ego in this game. I've stopped using static targets as soon as even Soulnight's first version was released. It was that good! I stopped recommending using my algo based on automatic selection of static targets immediately. I only suggest using it if the user didn't use measurements files, in which case it's still valid. If I can't find a situation where intent is hurt, I'll gladly embrace Soulnight's solution.

Believe me, I'll be just as happy as you'll be if we can avoid a new round of testing .

So as soon as I have the time, I'll look at a variety of content to see if I can find stability/intent issues. If I don't find any and if you can implement Soulnight's algo with your live algo, I'll be very happy to call it a day

Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders
JVC Macro feature on Vertex/Vertex2/Integral2/Maestro

Last edited by Manni01; 01-14-2019 at 03:28 AM.
post #338 of 1208 Old 01-14-2019, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-XP View Post
Thanks for the explanation.

I find the "Merge chapters" option very useful in addition to "Merge scenes" to get longer chapters (while not merging scenes with big changes) and allow to use a dynamic target per chapter.

I ended up with this for now:

Algo: Flo Chapter
Minimal target nits / real display peak nits: 100
Maximal target nits: 10000
Time for rolling average in frames: 1440 (less than this is too fast for me)
Dynamic Target Nits Tuning [50-100]: 100
Merge scenes [FALL change in %]: 325
Minimal chapter duration in frames: 480
Merge chapters [avgFALL change in %]: 100

It works for every problematic case I encountered with previous settings

Thanks again!

Edit:

New settings, because I encountered an issue at the very end of Lucy:

Algo: Flo Chapter
Minimal target nits / real display peak nits: 100
Maximal target nits: 10000
Time for rolling average in frames: 1440 (less than this is too fast for me)
Dynamic Target Nits Tuning [50-100]: 100
Merge scenes [FALL change in %]: 325
Minimal chapter duration in frames: 720
Merge chapters [avgFALL change in %]: 100

Thanks for all the testing. I will try your new best settings.

And put them to default if they are better than mine.

@madshi

Many users here (and in the madVR Germany Facebook group) have been testing our dynamic target nits algo quite a lot. Testing it for stability for big brightness change and so forth.

We started with only using a 10s centered rolling avg. This worked very well but did not pass smoothly abrupt brightness change like in "THE" famous testing scene from harry potter and the goblet of fire.

Since the chapter have been introduced and refined, those issues have been reported gone.

Neo-xp is still fine tuning.

But with the default settings, I have watched 4 full movies without any stability issues. Our algo was simply invisible.

Last edited by Soulnight; 01-14-2019 at 04:40 AM.
post #339 of 1208 Old 01-14-2019, 03:29 AM

I'm actually having pretty good results with these settings. I really liked the 10 second rolling average but it needed to adjust instantly to large scene changes and these settings basically do that. But it seems to produce long chapters so a longer rolling average would work too.

Minimal target: 225
Maximal Target: 10000
Rolling average: 240
Dynamic tuning: 90
Merge scenes: 350
Minimal chapter duration: 24
Merge chapter: 250

It even goes alright in the fury road sandstorm scene which is my current chapter torture test.
Manni01 and Soulnight like this.
post #340 of 1208 Old 01-14-2019, 03:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Fast question , with the release v.39 released by Madshi it is necessary a further Restore original measurement file with the version 3.3.0 of the tool.
post #341 of 1208 Old 01-14-2019, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_62 View Post
Fast question , with the release v.39 released by Madshi it is necessary a further Restore original measurement file with the version 3.3.0 of the tool.
Nope.
post #342 of 1208 Old 01-14-2019, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Update V3.3.0

The "bug" with madVR is solved ( @Dexter Kane ). Tone mapping is now using properly using the measurement file and madVR OSD is back to what it should look like with measurement.
So, I used v3.1.0 to measure my movies and watched Solo. Are you telling me that when I watched Solo it was not reading the measurement file but instead using the live algo? I was using v39 of MadVR.

EDIT: Sorry, I misspoke. I was using v38 of MadVR and have not yet upgraded to the latest build

JVC RS600 ¤ 130" Wide Seymour XD 2.35:1
Denon x4200 ¤ Onkyo M5010 ¤ iNuke 3000 ¤ 7.2.2
HTPC GTX1080 + MadVR is my master now ¤ Zidoo X8
post #343 of 1208 Old 01-14-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Nope.

Thanks , a curiosity , if the measured file is 4K 3840x2160 , but not HDR , is skipped such as file SDR ?
post #344 of 1208 Old 01-14-2019, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_62 View Post
Thanks , a curiosity , if the measured file is 4K 3840x2160 , but not HDR , is skipped such as file SDR ?
Yes.
post #345 of 1208 Old 01-14-2019, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonichart View Post
So, I used v3.1.0 to measure my movies and watched Solo. Are you telling me that when I watched Solo it was not reading the measurement file but instead using the live algo? I was using v39 of MadVR.

EDIT: Sorry, I misspoke. I was using v38 of MadVR and have not yet upgraded to the latest build
No worry. You did use the measurement file! For dynamic target nits and scene tone mapping target.

Only the osd looked like if you didn't.

And it has nothing to do with v38 and v39.
sonichart likes this.

Last edited by Soulnight; 01-14-2019 at 10:29 AM.
post #346 of 1208 Old 01-14-2019, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hello it's me again...
Thank you for your support! Everything is working and I'm so happy with the results.
One problem is left. I've several mkv files, wich are remesuared erverytime I run your tool, although they allright there and working...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Unbenannt1.PNG
Views:	26
Size:	619.6 KB
ID:	2510582  
post #347 of 1208 Old 01-14-2019, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I'm confused, is there really a v39 of madVR?

EDIT: Yes there is. For idiots like me who forget to check the other thread, here's a link:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post57431150

JVC-RS4500 4k projector, Lumagen Pro, 138" 2.35:1 ST130
Panasonic DMP-UB820 & i7 PC w/1080ti running Win10/Kodi DSPlayer/madVR
Classe SSP-800, Bryston amplification, Wilson Audio speakers (7.2) + Buttkickers.

Last edited by Ian_Currie; 01-14-2019 at 09:56 AM.
post #348 of 1208 Old 01-14-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Yes.
OK.
I ask , in the near future your instrument will be able to measure to HEVC "265 " format also for files 4K 3840x2160 that is not HDR , there are movies 4K 3840x2160 HEVC "265 " that would not be bad an algorithm FLO DYNAMIC SDR , just to say.
post #349 of 1208 Old 01-14-2019, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked: 1186
Maybe I did not understand something and/or I am doing something wrong, but if I put all the .measurements files into one single folder and I define this folder in "configuration" -> "files & folders", madVR should load them, right?

The only way to make it work for me is to copy/move the .measurement file and put it in the same folder as the movie.

But if I measure a movie with madMeasureHDR, the .measurement file is created in the folder specified in madVR.

Any idea?

Last edited by Neo-XP; 01-14-2019 at 11:12 AM.
post #350 of 1208 Old 01-14-2019, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-XP View Post
Maybe I did not understand something and/or I am doing something wrong, but if I put all the .measurements files into one single folder and I define this folder in "configuration" -> "files & folders", madVR should load them, right?

The only way to make it work for me is to copy/move the .measurement file and put it in the same folder as the movie.

But if I measure a movie with madMeasureHDR, the .measurement file is created in the folder specified in madVR.

Any idea?
If you decide to have all the measurements separated from the movies in madvr, madmeasurehdr will rename the files to includ the path to the mkv IN the name.

If you let the measurement files next to the movie, the files are not renamed.

Putting not renamed files all together in a measurement folder separated from the mkv does not work.
Neo-XP likes this.
post #351 of 1208 Old 01-14-2019, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked: 1186
Quote:
If you decide to have all the measurements separated from the movies in madvr, madmeasurehdr will rename the files to includ the path to the mkv IN the name.

If you let the measurement files next to the movie, the files are not renamed.

Putting not renamed files all together in a measurement folder separated from the mkv does not work.

Thanks, this was driving me crazy because your tool still detected the .measurements files (all placed in one folder and named only with the filenames) while scanning the paths to my mkv folders, and optimized them without any problem

Last edited by Neo-XP; 01-14-2019 at 11:58 AM.
post #352 of 1208 Old 01-14-2019, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

madmeasuredynamicclipping Tool V3.3.1

Another small update: V3.3.1

http://projectiondream.com/download/...namicclipping/

New:

1. The *_Details.txt log file is now compatible with the new madMeasureHDR output from madVR version 39 (it still works with version 38)
2. the tool now remembers all checkboxes (though I wouldn't uncheck dynamic clipping and target nits )

Enjoy!

Anna&Flo
Manni01, chros73, Salty01 and 1 others like this.
post #353 of 1208 Old 01-14-2019, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Quoted: 5617 Post(s)
Liked: 5922
@Soulnight : thanks for the fix in the log, working fine now!

Looks like I can finally switch to your tool for measuring as well and retire my batch file

Thanks again. I'll do some visual tests with the latest build as soon as I can after some remeasurements, but it might take a couple of days before I can make the time.

Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders
JVC Macro feature on Vertex/Vertex2/Integral2/Maestro

Last edited by Manni01; 01-14-2019 at 04:10 PM.
post #354 of 1208 Old 01-14-2019, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Question for anyone who knows:

Do any the properties in the tool affect how blacks are rendered (e.g. shadow detail)? Or does the tone mapping leave that alone and concentrate on mapping the higher nit values only?

I ask because I'm trying to see if I can improve contrast in the shadow details.

Thx.
chros73 likes this.

Classe SSP-800, Bryston amplification, Wilson Audio speakers (7.2) + Buttkickers.
post #355 of 1208 Old 01-14-2019, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Hi guys,
My measured peak luminance on screen is 80 nits.
Can someone suggests me settings to use with flo's tool?

And more: do I need different settings for special titles like the Meg?

A suggestion for Soulnight :

I think that it will be very helpful (only if you want to make your tool near to not expert users) to include to the download an instruction pdf file with the explanations of all voices and functionalities of your tool, maybe also with pratic examples.
In this pdf you can include the logic for users to set by themselfs settings in relationship to measured peak luminance...

I know that those things where discussed too many times in this thread but.... In this way a new user is not forced to read this thread from the beginning.

Just my two cents.

Thank you so much for your fantastic work.
post #356 of 1208 Old 01-14-2019, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I keep getting an error every time I click start it says

"Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately. The system cannot find the file specified."

Anyone know what file I could be missing? I chose the pathway that has all my HDR movies so I dont know why its giving me this error.

Quote:
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): The system cannot find the file specified
at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithCreateProcess( ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
at madMeasureDynamicClipping.FrmMain.MadMeasureHDR(St ring file)
at madMeasureDynamicClipping.FrmMain.StartAnalysis()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventAr gs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.7.3260.0 built by: NET472REL1LAST_C
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
madMeasureDynamicClipping
Assembly Version: 2.9.8.0
Win32 Version: 2.9.8.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Dominic%20Mathurin/AppData/Local/Apps/2.0/HEMPQ0HC.5J4/08BDHKJT.7ZV/madm..tion_9e4aaf119d852000_0002.0009_218a4d342aa0 36d8/madMeasureDynamicClipping.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 14.7.3056.0 built by: NET472REL1
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
Win32 Version: 4.7.3314.0 built by: NET472REL1LAST_B
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Core
Win32 Version: 4.7.3221.0 built by: NET472REL1LAST_C
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 4.7.3221.0 built by: NET472REL1LAST_C
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 4.7.3056.0 built by: NET472REL1
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
Accessibility
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
System.Deployment
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Deployment/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Deployment.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.
post #357 of 1208 Old 01-14-2019, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domcorleone View Post
I keep getting an error every time I click start it says

"Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately. The system cannot find the file specified."

Anyone know what file I could be missing? I chose the pathway that has all my HDR movies so I dont know why its giving me this error.
This usually happens when you the tool tries to measure a file and it can't find the madVR exe. Make sure you've set the path to where madVR is installed properly.

post #358 of 1208 Old 01-14-2019, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidelioX View Post
Hi guys,

Set the Minimal Target Nits/ Real Display Peak Nits property to 80. Leave all the other settings at their default values.

The idea isn't to have different settings for different movies but one setting that works for all. The Meg is different and might benefit from a higher Maximal Target Nits (e.g. 4000) but I'll leave that for more knowledgeable people to address.

I'm just trying to help you now as most of the experienced people are in Europe and probably sleeping at the moment.

post #359 of 1208 Old 01-14-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidelioX View Post
Hi guys,

A suggestion for Soulnight :

I think that it will be very helpful (only if you want to make your tool near to not expert users) to include to the download an instruction pdf file with the explanations of all voices and functionalities of your tool, maybe also with pratic examples.
In this pdf you can include the logic for users to set by themselfs settings in relationship to measured peak luminance...

I know that those things where discussed too many times in this thread but.... In this way a new user is not forced to read this thread from the beginning.

Just my two cents.

Thank you so much for your fantastic work.
Most of the options have an explanation of what they do if you mouse over them. The default values work well, just enter your real display nits and tweek the dynamic tuning value to your liking.
post #360 of 1208 Old 01-14-2019, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Another small update: V3.3.1

http://projectiondream.com/download/...namicclipping/

New:

1. The *_Details.txt log file is now compatible with the new madMeasureHDR output from madVR version 39 (it still works with version 38)
2. the tool now remembers all checkboxes (though I wouldn't uncheck dynamic clipping and target nits )

Enjoy!

Anna&Flo

Thanks! It appears that 75 instead of 100 is now defaulted in the "Dynamic Target Nits Tuning" box. Have you found 75 to be that much better than 100 to change the default? Just curious as I haven't seen any mention of this yet.

Btw, I'm super impressed with your developments lately with the chapters! I see no issues and really sense I'm seeing the directors intent; especially with Solo and Meg as I remember both being a much better experience at the Dolby Cinema / IMAX where I initially saw them... and now the UHD is finally matching that initial experience visually.

Thanks!
Cory
Audio: Ascend Acoustics, Sennheiser HD 598, Denon AVR-S710W
Video: JVC RS400, 92" DES Abyss screen, HTPC/RTX 2080/i7 8700k 4.9GHz/madVR, Panasonic DMP-UB900 for streaming
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page