madVR Tool: MadmeasureHDR Optimizer (Measurements, Dynamic Clipping & Target Nits) - Page 33 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 914Likes

post #961 of 1058 Old 03-27-2019, 03:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 307 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5335 Post(s)
Liked: 5369
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxx5 View Post
how do erase some of your choice in the file/folders box ?
( and i agree with manni01, it will be great to compute the .mpls.measurements files when you select path )
You can select the text path in the text box and simply delete it and press OK, or select a different path with the browser picker.

JVC Autocal Software V11 Calibration for 2019 Models
Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 1058 Old 03-28-2019, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulnight View Post
One last time.

There is currently a bug in madVR which can overule the dynamic target nits internally EVEN IF the dynamic target nits is properly created by our tool and even if the user can see the target nits number is changing in the OSD.

After multiple tests, we have concluded that this bug does not occur IF a single target nits profile with 100nits is selected.
In that case, the dynamic target nits specified in the measurement file with our tool is used properly.

Here is how our "cleaned-up" madVR settings look like to be certain that the dynamic target nits will apply properly.
(we have removed all of our target nits rules which are now anyway useless):

So, one single profile with 100 target nits means that you don't even need a profile anymore. If you don't have any profile yet, just put 100nits in the single place where you can put it. That's it.

This workaround is very straightforward. Nothing complicated.

And it's also easy to test if dynamic target nits defined in the measurement file are being used:
Test1: Set min and max target nits in our tool at 10000nits, everything should look very dark
--> static profile with 100nits is ignored

Test2: Set min and max target nits in our tool at 20nits, everything should look very bright. (Much brighter than with 100nits) ----->static profile with 100nits is ignored

Test3: Start a bright movie like the MEG.
Step a) Play the movie with the original measurement file. It should look completely overblow because you are using the static target nits of 100nits that you have defined before.
Step b) Play the movie with the measurement file optimized with a dynamic target nits by our tool. It should not look overblown anymore.

Hope that helps. (Until Madshi fixes the bug internally)
I can't get the measurement files to work, even with this workaround. Can somebody help me, what I need to do? I have done everything, as suggested in this workaround. Attached you can find the config

Thanks
S.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenCapture at Thu Mar 28 21:19:11 CET 2019.png
Views:	44
Size:	360.3 KB
ID:	2545470   Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenCapture at Thu Mar 28 21:20:05 CET 2019.png
Views:	36
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	2545472  
post #963 of 1058 Old 03-28-2019, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 1367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepardos View Post
I can't get the measurement files to work, even with this workaround. Can somebody help me, what I need to do? I have done everything, as suggested in this workaround. Attached you can find the config

Thanks
S.
There is no need for workaround since madVR beta 40.

You don't need any newer beta to use in combination with our tool. While they should still work fine, I did not test them together with the tool.

Did you successfully measure and optimize some mkv files with our tool?
Were are your mkv and measurement files located?

Can you show a screenshot of Ctrl+J within a movie that you have successfully optimized? (Don't forget to add a folder "ShowHDRmode" in the madVR folder for complete statistics).

Also with a Sony vw760es, be very wary that your projector is really showing you the correct colors and gamma when you select sdr rec2020. I had some bad experience with random bugs and washed out picture.

Best is to calibrate it in dci-p3 starting from a standard color profile from the sony with extended color space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #964 of 1058 Old 03-28-2019, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

@Fer15 @Neo-XP

Could you prepare a list of screenshots/frame with a typical sky/ window that we should handle differently to have a better calculation of a representative target nits?

We would need for each example:

1) Movie
2) Time code / Frame
3) Screenshot from the frame (with the live algo so that we get the Fall displayed in the statistics of ctrl+j
4) Histogram values (nits and %) from this "sky region" and also peak of that frame (using the tool from Pandm)

4- histogramm distribution is pretty important. Maybe in excel?

That would help to choose a strategy to handle all of them.

Thanks!
Flo
post #965 of 1058 Old 03-28-2019, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Quote:
There is no need for workaround since madVR beta 40.

You don't need any newer beta to use in combination with our tool. While they should still work fine, I did not test them together with the tool.

Can you show a screenshot of Ctrl+J within a movie that you have successfully optimized? (Don't forget to add a folder "ShowHDRmode" in the madVR folder for complete statistics).

Also with a Sony vw760es, be very wary that your projector is really showing you the correct colors and gamma when you select sdr rec2020. I had some bad experience with random bugs and washed out picture.

Best is to calibrate it in dci-p3 starting from a standard color profile from the sony with extended color space.
Thanks Soulnight for the quick response:

Quote:
Yes it was already working

Quote:
same folder as the movie

Quote:

I attached a screenshot, I use DCI-P3

Quote:
Attached is the screenshot

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenCapture at Thu Mar 28 22:35:04 CET 2019.png
Views:	58
Size:	260.8 KB
ID:	2545488   Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenCapture at Thu Mar 28 22:31:19 CET 2019.png
Views:	55
Size:	733.6 KB
ID:	2545490  
post #966 of 1058 Old 03-28-2019, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepardos View Post
Thanks Soulnight for the quick response:

Yes it was already working

same folder as the movie

I attached a screenshot, I use DCI-P3

Attached is the screenshot

Thanks!!
Did you calibrate your projector to dci-p3?

Please try madVR beta 40 to see if it works any better.
post #967 of 1058 Old 03-29-2019, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 25
It is possible to select a m2ts file directly from disc in one of the next releases? It seems currently m2ts file type is not supported.
post #968 of 1058 Old 03-30-2019, 01:05 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
You can select the text path in the text box and simply delete it and press OK, or select a different path with the browser picker.
I can't do that to select text in the text box and delete it but if I click OK into the choose path(s) windows, it replace the main text box (and erase the file if exists) !
post #969 of 1058 Old 03-30-2019, 04:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I can't do that to select text in the text box and delete it but if I click OK into the choose path(s) windows, it replace the main text box (and erase the file if exists) !
I'm not sure I understand your issue, especially without screenshots. Email me and I'll try to help.

Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders
post #970 of 1058 Old 03-30-2019, 04:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathbone View Post
It is possible to select a m2ts file directly from disc in one of the next releases? It seems currently m2ts file type is not supported.
You don't want to play the m2ts as you lose all the chapter info. You want to play the correct .mpls (which is what players do when they select one automatically). Measuring m2ts will only work if you select the m2ts file manually. Support for m2ts should not be added to the tool, especially for measurements, or it should be optional as it's not the best way to support BD Folders.

Hopefully .mpls support will be added at some point, maybe optional as well.

post #971 of 1058 Old 03-30-2019, 05:35 AM

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
@Fer15 @Neo-XP

Could you prepare a list of screenshots/frame with a typical sky/ window that we should handle differently to have a better calculation of a representative target nits?

We would need for each example:

1) Movie
2) Time code / Frame
3) Screenshot from the frame (with the live algo so that we get the Fall displayed in the statistics of ctrl+j
4) Histogram values (nits and %) from this "sky region" and also peak of that frame (using the tool from Pandm)

4- histogramm distribution is pretty important. Maybe in excel?

That would help to choose a strategy to handle all of them.

Thanks!
Flo

This isn’t quite in the manner that you requested but it should contain a brief summary along with samples.

Note: most of the frames are around 1 frame before or after a scene cut
The Meg and 2001 were with around 40% tuning strength

Bradley Cooper’s face is pretty dim in the side shot with the bright window in the background, the camera pans behind him slightly to show Gaga for a few seconds, then there’s a scene cut to show a more frontal view of Cooper’s face. He hasn’t moved at all, nor has the light source in the scene changed. However, the dynamic target has gone from around 430 (frame FALL approx. 130) to 150 (frame FALL approx. 22) with 50% tuning strength with the result that his face is now a lot brighter than it was before.

Here is a shot overview:

A scene from MI4 sample:

This is not a scene cut but a panning shot. During the panning shot, the brightness of the sky and Tom Cruise’s face noticeably dim as the target increases from around 350 (frame FALL approx. 73) to 650 (frame FALL approx. 168) or so. (This shot might also be useful for the brightness speeds in the live algo)

Here is a shot overview:

Prometheus sample:

This is a fairly lengthy scene. There are a few cuts to this scene, where the FALL is high (230+) with a dynamic target of 500 or so with 50% tuning strength. Noomi Rapace’s face is pretty dim in the first shot, there are a few scene cuts back and forth from this shot. However, there’s an inconsistency when looking at the brightness levels of her face when compared to the other scene cuts/angles i.e. the dynamic target can go down to 250 or so, and as you can tell by the last shot, there’s a light directly above her when she’s on the table, so her face shouldn’t be as dark as it is in the first shot.

Here is a shot overview:

The scene of Neo and Morpheus in the Matrix with the pure white background might also be worth checking out (I haven't looked at this yet though)
Manni01 and AKJ89 like this.

Last edited by Fer15; 04-30-2019 at 09:21 AM.
post #972 of 1058 Old 03-30-2019, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm not sure I understand your issue, especially without screenshots. Email me and I'll try to help.
the box under the 2 buttons "choose file" "choose folder" are not editable. nothing can be done directly in this box.
you have to input text only via choose file or choose folder which erase the old text and replace it with the new.
with choose file, you have to choose a file but with choose folder you ca choose from 0 to 10 folders.
if you choose 0 folder and click to ok, the box is clear !
post #973 of 1058 Old 03-30-2019, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

the box under the 2 buttons "choose file" "choose folder" are not editable. nothing can be done directly in this box.
you have to input text only via choose file or choose folder which erase the old text and replace it with the new.
with choose file, you have to choose a file but with choose folder you ca choose from 0 to 10 folders.
if you choose 0 folder and click to ok, the box is clear !
Yes, that's the way the tool is designed. I guess you're trying to automate it, but that's not the way it works.

That's why it would be great if .mpls could be optimized with the path option. I'm doing it manually at the moment and it's *very* slow

But as it's also slow to measure index.bdmv, find the main playlist and move index.bdmv.measurements to the playlist folder with the correct name, I guess it doesn't make that much of a difference.

At least my batch measures all the index/bdmv automatically.

I wish your tool could support BD Folders with the option to save measurements in each playlist folder and not in a central folder, as calling it from a batch file doesn't work with mapped drives, at least here.

post #974 of 1058 Old 03-30-2019, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
You don't want to play the m2ts as you lose all the chapter info. You want to play the correct .mpls (which is what players do when they select one automatically). Measuring m2ts will only work if you select the m2ts file manually. Support for m2ts should not be added to the tool, especially for measurements, or it should be optional as it's not the best way to support BD Folders.

Hi,

I rip out the main m2ts and throw away everything else. Most UHD blurays have a single m2ts file for the movie, for the rares one that don't I use makemkv to create a single file. The main reason is, not interested in menus, extras and never use chapters. So I have more 50% of my movies in m2ts format. I think this ensures highest quality and avoids any unnecessary lossy conversions and keeps space usage down.

Would really appreciate if a flag could be added to this tool to allow m2ts as I don't want to be doing them one a time and I don't want to convert these to mkv etc.

thanks!
post #975 of 1058 Old 03-31-2019, 12:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deus777 View Post
Hi,

I rip out the main m2ts and throw away everything else. Most UHD blurays have a single m2ts file for the movie, for the rares one that don't I use makemkv to create a single file. The main reason is, not interested in menus, extras and never use chapters. So I have more 50% of my movies in m2ts format. I think this ensures highest quality and avoids any unnecessary lossy conversions and keeps space usage down.

Would really appreciate if a flag could be added to this tool to allow m2ts as I don't want to be doing them one a time and I don't want to convert these to mkv etc.

thanks!
Sure, it could be added for automatic optimization like for .mpls if a measurement file already exists.

For measurements, like .mpls, it would have to be made optional.

Those who use BD Folders to backup do not want to measure all .m2ts files because that’s pointless as the measurements would never be used (and even in most cases all .mpls files, as for most titles you only want to measure the main playlist).

Anyway we haven’t heard back from Anna and Flo on the subject so who knows if any of this will be supported by the tool?

I’m hoping they will add support for optimization of .mpls and .m2ts when a measurement file exists with the path option, because that’s a trivial change to their code.

Support for measurements needs more work to be done well, so if they don’t use BD Folders that might never happen.

Last edited by Manni01; 04-03-2019 at 01:58 PM.
post #976 of 1058 Old 03-31-2019, 03:56 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Thanks for testing! :-)

Good to know you also would prefer it to smoothly roll.

Now to adress the unwanted cut in this venom scene, and in the meg little girl scene, we need to raise the "chapter merge" value from the default setting.

As I said earlier, @Dexter Kane was the one who got that first.

We need to roll most of the time except for crazy scene cut.

It was also my first approach with rolling all the time. But you still need to cut some times. But somes times does not mean at every single camera change since it clearly hurts both the director intend and our eyes (The meg -little girl, venom interogation scene,etc).

So let's try to raise the "chapter merge" so that this whole scene from venom is merged into one single chapter.

I believe Dexter Kane was using 250 in the past.
I haven't had much time to test recently as I'm stuck at work all night but I kept my chapter settings from the previous versions which are scene merge 350 and chapter merge 200 and I didn't notice any problems in the (very few) movies that I've watched. But I haven't done any real testing.
Manni01 and AKJ89 like this.
post #977 of 1058 Old 04-01-2019, 01:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Agreed- I don't care what to select on the disc. I just don't want to rip just to measure something.
post #978 of 1058 Old 04-05-2019, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

@Fer15 awesome job you did there! I just got back a computer. I will go over your example this WE to see how to detect those sky /window / uniform bright areas.

Thanks again!
Manni01 likes this.
post #979 of 1058 Old 04-18-2019, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Hi guys maybe any update is going on?
post #980 of 1058 Old 04-19-2019, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidelioX View Post
Hi guys maybe any update is going on?
Yes! I have been working on an update when I had some time off since I came back from vacation.

:-)

So it's coming ... sooner than later I hope ;-)
Manni01, neo_2009, omarank and 2 others like this.
post #981 of 1058 Old 04-20-2019, 05:12 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Hi, when you post your madvr stats (ctrl+j) I can see that your dropped, repeated, and delayed frames use to be in cero. When I hit start or pause in a movie, during the first 2 or 3 secoonds I have some stutering until movie stabilize. After that no more added numbers to my frames so everthing runs perfect. Would you please explain to me how can I get a clean start or a start after pause?. My system: windows 10 + i5 + RTX 2070 GPU
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jorsan; 04-20-2019 at 05:21 AM.
post #982 of 1058 Old 04-20-2019, 05:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorsan View Post
Hi, when you post your madvr stats (ctrl+j) I can see that your dropped, repeated, and delayed frames use to be in cero. When I hit start or pause in a movie, during the first 2 or 3 secoonds I have some stutering until movie stabilize. After that no more added numbers to my frames so everthing runs perfect. Would you please explain to me how can I get a clean start or a start after pause?. Thanks in advance.
ctrl+r
post #983 of 1058 Old 04-20-2019, 05:23 AM

thanks stefanelli73 for your response. So basically all of you have same problem as me?, 2 or 3 secaonds of stutering until picture stabilize?
post #984 of 1058 Old 04-20-2019, 05:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorsan View Post
thanks stefanelli73 for your response. So basically all of you have same problem as me?, 2 or 3 secaonds of stutering until picture stabilize?
yes.
post #985 of 1058 Old 04-20-2019, 05:29 AM

good to know. Thanks
post #986 of 1058 Old 04-21-2019, 12:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I have a few questions regarding your settings (and settings.bin file)... If you've already discussed/answered this (or some of it) on another thread, could you point me to it?

1) I noticed that you chose "the native display bitdepth is: 8 bit". I'm assuming you have a JVC e-shift projector? Just curious why 8 bit instead of 10 ?
2) What video card are you using, and are you also outputting at 8 bit RGB through the video card?
3) When you watch a movie with MadVR settings for 4K tone-mapped movie what Picture Mode/Color Profile/Color Temp are you using

Thanks

Quote:
Yes! I have been working on an update when I had some time off since I came back from vacation.
:-)So it's coming ... sooner than later I hope ;-)
post #987 of 1058 Old 04-22-2019, 02:55 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hi,
why I can't measure my files?

All files that I try to measure give me the same result:

madMasureDynamicClipping V3.7.9 Log
----------------------------------------------
Folder: E:\Movies02\MovieTitle
Number of *.mkv, *.ts, *.mp4, *.webm, files in folder: 2
- Potential HDR files: 0
- SDR files or skipped files: 2

I'm sure that in the folder there is a .mkv HDR file.
post #988 of 1058 Old 04-22-2019, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
To be sure you can Drag and drop your file to the measermenthdr.exe in the madVR folder...
post #989 of 1058 Old 04-23-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioBar4U View Post
To be sure you can Drag and drop your file to the measermenthdr.exe in the madVR folder...
I try also this but when I drag and drop files on measurementhhdr.exe the software tell me "Measuring video file..... Using D3D11 native", on the next line there is a blinking cursor and no measurement are make

Inviato dal mio BKL-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk
post #990 of 1058 Old 04-23-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioBar4U View Post
I try also this but when I drag and drop files on measurementhhdr.exe the software tell me "Measuring video file..... Using D3D11 native", on the next line there is a blinking cursor and no measurement are make.

Inviato dal mio BKL-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page