Drive shucking 8TB WD My Book external drives? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36Likes

post #31 of 106 Old 04-13-2019, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post
How does that work?

AnyDVD takes 30min - 90 min to rip a disc to ISO.
MakeMKV takes another 20-40 min to convert all tracks to MKV.
Then I've got another couple hours to:
  • identify the main title (if there are duplicates) and/or identify theatrical vs directors cuts
  • identify and label audio and subtitle tracks
  • check for non-burned necessary subtitle track that needs to be set to default / forced
  • identify and title all special features
  • mux out video and audio backdrops
  • find and download trailers
  • if this is an Atmos title, another hour to demux / remux Atmos from 4k into HD (since I'm not 4k yet)
  • copy everything over to library and confirm it's imported correctly

How do you process a disc in 30 seconds? If I could speed this up, it would be useful.
Thats pretty extensive. If using Makemkv why the ripping to ISO part, and paying for AnyDVD for that matter. Makemkv can rip straight form the drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 106 Old 04-13-2019, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3809 Post(s)
Liked: 3503
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
I get that, it was the second half of his post I didn't quite understand. Unless he was talking about selecting a movie in netflix and pushing play.
Yeah, I think you're right, he's talking about pressing the Play button on a Netflix show as his "ripping" method as it's not physically possible to rip a BD in 30 secs.
post #33 of 106 Old 04-13-2019, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Something like that..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 106 Old 04-13-2019, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Thats pretty extensive. If using Makemkv why the ripping to ISO part, and paying for AnyDVD for that matter. Makemkv can rip straight form the drive.
When I started, I was using PowerDvd to play ISOs and not bothering with MKVs. So I got in the habit of using AnyDVD. And putting AnyDVD in the middle lets me rip a disc simultaneously while MKV’ing another.

I suppose I should look at how MakeMkv works as a ripper. But I doubt that’s a timesaver. No matter, I still have to rip and demux the disc. One step or two steps is probably going to be pretty much the same time.
post #35 of 106 Old 04-13-2019, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When I started, I was using PowerDvd to play ISOs and not bothering with MKVs. So I got in the habit of using AnyDVD. And putting AnyDVD in the middle lets me rip a disc simultaneously while MKV’ing another.

I suppose I should look at how MakeMkv works as a ripper. But I doubt that’s a timesaver. No matter, I still have to rip and demux the disc. One step or two steps is probably going to be pretty much the same time.
It would eliminate the 30-90 minutes to make the ISO. Seems like that should definitely save time. Doesn't sound like make mkv is any longer when going from an unencrypted ISO or straight from the disc.
post #36 of 106 Old 04-14-2019, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 2027 Post(s)
Liked: 821
But how much time does the ISO really represent, to user interaction?

Just much pc does one really need to rip. Have we hit the point where people are giving away enough computer, to potentially come up with
a free ripping pc?
post #37 of 106 Old 04-14-2019, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
But how much time does the ISO really represent, to user interaction?

Just much pc does one really need to rip. Have we hit the point where people are giving away enough computer, to potentially come up with

a free ripping pc?

I don't understand?
post #38 of 106 Old 04-15-2019, 04:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 2027 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Maybe I should have stated "to potentially come up with a free dedicated ripping pc"?

The only real time that counts, is my time used to initiate up the rips, and then let the pc go at it. The rest is simply electrical cost.

Now if you are a computer literate guy, don't you have people trying to give you older computers? I sure do, and anything with DDR3 and issues, I take and
combine with another suitable freebie computer. And then a small older ssd drive gets tossed in, as I upgrade my desktop, or htpc. I've even scored a couple of 4K rip
capable optical drives, out of free pcs lately, and some 320-500G drives that are useful to back up small cheap boot ssds, and are easy to resell. Older pc cases with
multiple 5.25" bays are useful, for their potential to host multiple optical drives for a ripping pc.

All of which makes me wonder just what is the minimum suitable specs a pc needs, to rip a Bluray? Are "retired" pcs now up to being dedicated ripping multiple movies
at one time?
post #39 of 106 Old 04-15-2019, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2361 Post(s)
Liked: 1987
Ripping isn't the issue; playback is.
Personally, I use AnyDVD. Have for years. Rent from Netflix (one disc at a time), copy, watch, delete. The (very) few movies I'd care to watch again I rent again. NBD.

Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
post #40 of 106 Old 04-15-2019, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
It would eliminate the 30-90 minutes to make the ISO. Seems like that should definitely save time. Doesn't sound like make mkv is any longer when going from an unencrypted ISO or straight from the disc.
I’d have to try it to see. I’ve assumed that the time it takes to copy files from a disc to a computer will take that long whether it’s done by AnyDVD as a pre-processing step or done in the process of converting to mkv by MakeMKV.
post #41 of 106 Old 04-15-2019, 09:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2361 Post(s)
Liked: 1987
You still need the info to make mkv copies, legit or not.
Trial versions of AnyDVD are available. MakeMKV is free while in beta, which has been forever (but can stop at any time).
Try them if you haven't already.
Sorry, getting OT.
Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
post #42 of 106 Old 04-16-2019, 05:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
I’d have to try it to see. I’ve assumed that the time it takes to copy files from a disc to a computer will take that long whether it’s done by AnyDVD as a pre-processing step or done in the process of converting to mkv by MakeMKV.
Putting a Blu-ray disc in the computer and using MakeMKV to rip the Blu-ray takes about 20-25 minutes a disc on average. I have never seen a disc take more than 30 minutes from putting it in the tray to getting the final MKV rip, unless the disc was damaged in some way. I have ripped over 500 discs.
ShoutingMan likes this.

Sharp LC-80LE844U | Marantz BD8002 | Marantz AV8003 | Marsh Sound Design A400s (FL/FR) | Marantz MM7055 (C/SL/SR) | Phase Tech PC 9.1 (FL/FR) | Phase Tech PC 3.1 (C/SL/SR) | 3 Phase Tech Octave Power-15 Subs | 1 REL R-528 Sub
post #43 of 106 Old 04-16-2019, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
How does that work?

AnyDVD takes 30min - 90 min to rip a disc to ISO.
MakeMKV takes another 20-40 min to convert all tracks to MKV.
Then I've got another couple hours to:
  • identify the main title (if there are duplicates) and/or identify theatrical vs directors cuts
  • identify and label audio and subtitle tracks
  • check for non-burned necessary subtitle track that needs to be set to default / forced
  • identify and title all special features
  • mux out video and audio backdrops
  • find and download trailers
  • if this is an Atmos title, another hour to demux / remux Atmos from 4k into HD (since I'm not 4k yet)
  • copy everything over to library and confirm it's imported correctly

How do you process a disc in 30 seconds? If I could speed this up, it would be useful.

You're spending way more time than I am. Put the disk in the drive, select main movie track, rip to HDD using makeMKV. Done. Jriver automatically imports the movie. One in a while I have to have JRiver search for the title if it did not identify the movie automatically.
post #44 of 106 Old 04-20-2019, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawaburger View Post
Putting a Blu-ray disc in the computer and using MakeMKV to rip the Blu-ray takes about 20-25 minutes a disc on average. I have never seen a disc take more than 30 minutes from putting it in the tray to getting the final MKV rip, unless the disc was damaged in some way. I have ripped over 500 discs.
You’re not ripping special features, are you? For me, working from a ripped ISO has helped make it faster overall to get everything extracted and identified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gworrel View Post
You're spending way more time than I am. Put the disk in the drive, select main movie track, rip to HDD using makeMKV. Done. Jriver automatically imports the movie. One in a while I have to have JRiver search for the title if it did not identify the movie automatically.
How does Jriver deal subtitle tracks that aren’t burned in and need to be set to default? Does it do that too? Currently, I have to consult the google spreadsheet for subtitle tracks and manually set as default with MKVToolNix.
post #45 of 106 Old 04-20-2019, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You’re not ripping special features, are you? For me, working from a ripped ISO has helped make it faster overall to get everything extracted and identified.

How does Jriver deal subtitle tracks that aren’t burned in and need to be set to default? Does it do that too? Currently, I have to consult the google spreadsheet for subtitle tracks and manually set as default with MKVToolNix.

Why not just turn them on if you need them?
post #46 of 106 Old 04-20-2019, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:

That's pretty much what I do. I keep any forced subtitles by default when I convert a Blu-Ray disc to mkv format. If I discover someone speaking in a foreign language during the movie I pause playback and turn on the appropriate subtitles. I may have to go through 2 or 3 subtitle files before getting just the forced subtitles but once they're selected I just leave it alone for the remainder of the movie. The vast majority of movies I rip never need any subtitles displayed unless they're foreign films.
post #47 of 106 Old 04-20-2019, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
That's pretty much what I do. I keep any forced subtitles by default when I convert a Blu-Ray disc to mkv format. If I discover someone speaking in a foreign language during the movie I pause playback and turn on the appropriate subtitles. I may have to go through 2 or 3 subtitle files before getting just the forced subtitles but once they're selected I just leave it alone for the remainder of the movie. The vast majority of movies I rip never need any subtitles displayed unless they're foreign films.
That's my experience as well. It happens now and then but most the time they aren't needed. Annoying when they are and you don't have them though.
post #48 of 106 Old 04-20-2019, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's my experience as well. It happens now and then but most the time they aren't needed. Annoying when they are and you don't have them though.

True dat. I have MakeMKV configured to keep the forced subtitles by default as well as all English soundtracks. I always have to check and make sure any foreign language films have English subtitles available. I've had several instances where I ended up just trashing the movie because there were no English subtitles. I didn't feel like buying a copy of Rosetta Stone to figure out what the actors were saying.
post #49 of 106 Old 04-20-2019, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:

I rip all the subtitles and turn them on if I need them. I sometimes uncheck subtitles or audio tracks I don't need, but usually just leave them in.
post #50 of 106 Old 04-21-2019, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Because then I don’t know I need them until it’s too late and I’m interrupting the movie and fiddling with subtitle tracks to figure out if that line of alien language was supposed to be subtitled. And that *kills* the experience with friends over; also destroys WAF for HTPC use. So I prepare all videos before adding to library for any needed forced subtitle tracks to ensure a normal uninterrupted viewing experience.

Quote:
Quote:
True dat. I have MakeMKV configured to keep the forced subtitles by default as well as all English soundtracks. .
How do you do that? I’ve apparently missed that feature. That is, I preserve all subtitle tracks, but they don’t get set as forced by MakeMKV. I have to do that manually (MKVToolNix) when appropriate.
post #51 of 106 Old 04-21-2019, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How do you do that? I’ve apparently missed that feature. That is, I preserve all subtitle tracks, but they don’t get set as forced by MakeMKV. I have to do that manually (MKVToolNix) when appropriate.

I actually preserve all of the English subtitles as it doesn't really indicate which ones are forced. That's why I sometimes have to cycle through the various subtitle sets until I find just the forced subtitles.
ShoutingMan likes this.
post #52 of 106 Old 04-21-2019, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I actually preserve all of the English subtitles as it doesn't really indicate which ones are forced. That's why I sometimes have to cycle through the various subtitle sets until I find just the forced subtitles.
Yeah, that’s basically what I do. Foreign language and anime are pretty simple. It’s the superhero and action movies with one or two lines somewhere in the middle of the movie that are the problems. I use this spreadsheet to find those:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...4tfIkTdThTkXEk

If a movie is listed as have a non-burned subtitle track, then I check the example timecode, figure out the subtitle track, and set it as forced in MKVToolNix. Then it’s all ready for when I watch the movie.
duckymomo likes this.
post #53 of 106 Old 04-22-2019, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Because then I don’t know I need them until it’s too late and I’m interrupting the movie and fiddling with subtitle tracks to figure out if that line of alien language was supposed to be subtitled. And that *kills* the experience with friends over; also destroys WAF for HTPC use. So I prepare all videos before adding to library for any needed forced subtitle tracks to ensure a normal uninterrupted viewing experience.

I agree it can be annoying when you realize there should probably be subs and have to fiddle with it.
post #54 of 106 Old 04-23-2019, 01:18 PM

Emby will add missing subs for you.
ShoutingMan likes this.

post #55 of 106 Old 04-26-2019, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
Emby will add missing subs for you.
I’ll have to look into that. I’m vaguely aware of Emby having such features but I’ve never tried them out.
post #56 of 106 Old 05-07-2019, 02:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Why choose so expensive yet dreadful anydvd

Quote:
I don't understand why you choose Anydvd to rip DVD to ISO image. Generally, I feel so confused about anydvd products. ANyDVD HD is mainly responsible for dvd decryption, video_ts folder as output format. As for anydvd cloneDVD, it indeed helps you rip dvd to iso image while it sucks in DVD decryption. So if you wanna successfully rip (protected) DVD to iso image, you need to buy 2 products. Anydvd is priced at €59 for 1year and €109 for lifetime and clonedvd costs you €39 for lifetime. Sooooooo expensive!!! I won't definitely choose it, for you obviously have more choices, right? I find more free rippers at the 1st ranking when googling free dvd ripper.
post #57 of 106 Old 05-07-2019, 09:18 AM

So I finally cracked open the case with my automotive trim tool kit. Broke one tab but hey!

Anyhow it's a white drive but I need a miniature torx screwdriver to get the board off of it.

So what's the procedure to get the power and SATA cables to work?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Sammy2; 05-07-2019 at 10:36 AM.
post #58 of 106 Old 05-07-2019, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3809 Post(s)
Liked: 3503
Quote:
So I finally cracked open the case with my automotive trim tool kit. Broke one tab but hey!

Anyhow it's a white drive but I need a miniature torx screwdriver to get the board off of it.

So what's the procedure to get the power and SATA cables to work?

I'm not sure I understand your question, just plug the cables in, there's no secret to it.
post #59 of 106 Old 05-07-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I'm not sure I understand your question, just plug the cables in, there's no secret to it.
Sometimes there's a pin that needs to be disabled for them to work.

post #60 of 106 Old 05-07-2019, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sometimes there's a pin that needs to be disabled for them to work.

It depends on your PSU, when thye are older they can need the pin mod, mine does, but a sata to molex adapter also works. I had to use those anyways to power all my drives so thats what I did.

Heres all the info you should need.
https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder...tb_compendium/
Sammy2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page