Drive shucking 8TB WD My Book external drives? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #31 of 46 Old 04-13-2019, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post
How does that work?

AnyDVD takes 30min - 90 min to rip a disc to ISO.
MakeMKV takes another 20-40 min to convert all tracks to MKV.
Then I've got another couple hours to:
  • identify the main title (if there are duplicates) and/or identify theatrical vs directors cuts
  • identify and label audio and subtitle tracks
  • check for non-burned necessary subtitle track that needs to be set to default / forced
  • identify and title all special features
  • mux out video and audio backdrops
  • find and download trailers
  • if this is an Atmos title, another hour to demux / remux Atmos from 4k into HD (since I'm not 4k yet)
  • copy everything over to library and confirm it's imported correctly

How do you process a disc in 30 seconds? If I could speed this up, it would be useful.
Thats pretty extensive. If using Makemkv why the ripping to ISO part, and paying for AnyDVD for that matter. Makemkv can rip straight form the drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 04-13-2019, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3656 Post(s)
Liked: 3334
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
I get that, it was the second half of his post I didn't quite understand. Unless he was talking about selecting a movie in netflix and pushing play.
Yeah, I think you're right, he's talking about pressing the Play button on a Netflix show as his "ripping" method as it's not physically possible to rip a BD in 30 secs.
post #33 of 46 Old 04-13-2019, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Something like that..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 46 Old 04-13-2019, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Thats pretty extensive. If using Makemkv why the ripping to ISO part, and paying for AnyDVD for that matter. Makemkv can rip straight form the drive.
When I started, I was using PowerDvd to play ISOs and not bothering with MKVs. So I got in the habit of using AnyDVD. And putting AnyDVD in the middle lets me rip a disc simultaneously while MKV’ing another.

I suppose I should look at how MakeMkv works as a ripper. But I doubt that’s a timesaver. No matter, I still have to rip and demux the disc. One step or two steps is probably going to be pretty much the same time.
post #35 of 46 Old 04-13-2019, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When I started, I was using PowerDvd to play ISOs and not bothering with MKVs. So I got in the habit of using AnyDVD. And putting AnyDVD in the middle lets me rip a disc simultaneously while MKV’ing another.

I suppose I should look at how MakeMkv works as a ripper. But I doubt that’s a timesaver. No matter, I still have to rip and demux the disc. One step or two steps is probably going to be pretty much the same time.
It would eliminate the 30-90 minutes to make the ISO. Seems like that should definitely save time. Doesn't sound like make mkv is any longer when going from an unencrypted ISO or straight from the disc.
post #36 of 46 Old 04-14-2019, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 1869 Post(s)
Liked: 741
But how much time does the ISO really represent, to user interaction?

Just much pc does one really need to rip. Have we hit the point where people are giving away enough computer, to potentially come up with
a free ripping pc?
post #37 of 46 Old 04-14-2019, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
But how much time does the ISO really represent, to user interaction?

Just much pc does one really need to rip. Have we hit the point where people are giving away enough computer, to potentially come up with

a free ripping pc?

I don't understand?
post #38 of 46 Old 04-15-2019, 04:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 1869 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Maybe I should have stated "to potentially come up with a free dedicated ripping pc"?

The only real time that counts, is my time used to initiate up the rips, and then let the pc go at it. The rest is simply electrical cost.

Now if you are a computer literate guy, don't you have people trying to give you older computers? I sure do, and anything with DDR3 and issues, I take and
combine with another suitable freebie computer. And then a small older ssd drive gets tossed in, as I upgrade my desktop, or htpc. I've even scored a couple of 4K rip
capable optical drives, out of free pcs lately, and some 320-500G drives that are useful to back up small cheap boot ssds, and are easy to resell. Older pc cases with
multiple 5.25" bays are useful, for their potential to host multiple optical drives for a ripping pc.

All of which makes me wonder just what is the minimum suitable specs a pc needs, to rip a Bluray? Are "retired" pcs now up to being dedicated ripping multiple movies
at one time?
post #39 of 46 Old 04-15-2019, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2276 Post(s)
Liked: 1901
Ripping isn't the issue; playback is.
Personally, I use AnyDVD. Have for years. Rent from Netflix (one disc at a time), copy, watch, delete. The (very) few movies I'd care to watch again I rent again. NBD.

Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
post #40 of 46 Old 04-15-2019, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 396
I tend to rip my discs in the background. I download full rips in folder format from "magical" sources as well as actual discs obtained from various other sources. I use MakeMKV for the actual disc rips as well as the folder rips and convert them all to mkv files on the fly. You don't need a dedicated PC for this unless your PC is slower than dirt. I have found a couple of ways to get around the multiple titles on certain discs to find out which title to rip. One is to simply visit the "magical" site that I obtained it from and look at the description of the movie. It tells me which playlist is the main title. Another method to use, if you don't have access to that particular site, is to get yourself a copy of DVDFab and scan the movie folder or disc. It will tell you what the playlist is for the main title so you can rip it in MakeMKV.

Please do not PM me and ask for the name of the site I mentioned because I will not respond. Just do a search for the best "magical" sites and it will be among the top 10 sites listed, if not the top 5 (substitute to correct name of the type of site you are looking for in place of "magical"). Hint: The first three letters of the site name are the same as the extension used for a popular archive format. When you get to the site, select Movies from the menu and then select Movies/Full BD from the selections listed. Find the movie you want and look through the description to see what the playlist is for the main title.
post #41 of 46 Old 04-15-2019, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
It would eliminate the 30-90 minutes to make the ISO. Seems like that should definitely save time. Doesn't sound like make mkv is any longer when going from an unencrypted ISO or straight from the disc.
I’d have to try it to see. I’ve assumed that the time it takes to copy files from a disc to a computer will take that long whether it’s done by AnyDVD as a pre-processing step or done in the process of converting to mkv by MakeMKV.
post #42 of 46 Old 04-15-2019, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
I tend to rip my discs in the background. I download full rips in folder format from "magical" sources as well as actual discs obtained from various other sources.
It sounds like you’re advocating piracy? Not really sure what you’re getting at, otherwise? For all the issues with ripping, my discs are purchased legit.
post #43 of 46 Old 04-15-2019, 09:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2276 Post(s)
Liked: 1901
You still need the info to make mkv copies, legit or not.
Trial versions of AnyDVD are available. MakeMKV is free while in beta, which has been forever (but can stop at any time).
Try them if you haven't already.
Sorry, getting OT.
Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
post #44 of 46 Old 04-16-2019, 04:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
It sounds like you’re advocating piracy? Not really sure what you’re getting at, otherwise? For all the issues with ripping, my discs are purchased legit.
I am definitely not advocating piracy. I was responding to the previous post about how to determine which playlist to rip from a disc and I was just explaining how that could be done. I wasn't encouraging anyone to use the site I mentioned to download anything but to use it as a reference for ripping the discs you own. I was also indicating that ripping doesn't require a dedicated PC. You took the first couple of lines from my post and took it out of context. Had you read the entire post it should have been clear where I was going with it.

FYI - If you use MakeMKV then buy it. If everyone just uses the free version then the author will probably stop supporting it. I bought my copy a couple of years ago and use it all the time. I hate paying for software that I only use on rare occasions. MakeMKV is well worth the cost.

Last edited by captain_video; 04-16-2019 at 05:02 AM.
post #45 of 46 Old 04-16-2019, 05:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
I’d have to try it to see. I’ve assumed that the time it takes to copy files from a disc to a computer will take that long whether it’s done by AnyDVD as a pre-processing step or done in the process of converting to mkv by MakeMKV.
Putting a Blu-ray disc in the computer and using MakeMKV to rip the Blu-ray takes about 20-25 minutes a disc on average. I have never seen a disc take more than 30 minutes from putting it in the tray to getting the final MKV rip, unless the disc was damaged in some way. I have ripped over 500 discs.

Sharp LC-80LE844U | Marantz BD8002 | Marantz AV8003 | Marsh Sound Design A400s (FL/FR) | Marantz MM7055 (C/SL/SR) | Phase Tech PC 9.1 (FL/FR) | Phase Tech PC 3.1 (C/SL/SR) | 3 Phase Tech Octave Power-15 Subs | 1 REL R-528 Sub
post #46 of 46 Old 04-16-2019, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
How does that work?

AnyDVD takes 30min - 90 min to rip a disc to ISO.
MakeMKV takes another 20-40 min to convert all tracks to MKV.
Then I've got another couple hours to:
  • identify the main title (if there are duplicates) and/or identify theatrical vs directors cuts
  • identify and label audio and subtitle tracks
  • check for non-burned necessary subtitle track that needs to be set to default / forced
  • identify and title all special features
  • mux out video and audio backdrops
  • find and download trailers
  • if this is an Atmos title, another hour to demux / remux Atmos from 4k into HD (since I'm not 4k yet)
  • copy everything over to library and confirm it's imported correctly

How do you process a disc in 30 seconds? If I could speed this up, it would be useful.

You're spending way more time than I am. Put the disk in the drive, select main movie track, rip to HDD using makeMKV. Done. Jriver automatically imports the movie. One in a while I have to have JRiver search for the title if it did not identify the movie automatically.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page