Drive shucking 8TB WD My Book external drives? - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36Likes

post #91 of 106 Old 06-09-2019, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Shucked my 8TB Easystore drive. Went pretty easily; no broken tabs. It's white label WD80EMAZ. According to this reddit, my Corsair RM550x PSU needs me to do something to deal with the SATA 3.3V pin issue.
https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder...tb_compendium/

I guess I'll do the tape thing. I'm hopeful this simpler approach of taping pins 1-3 works. I don't have kapton tape, so will try transparent packing tape.
https://imgur.com/a/BFdmB
https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder...m_medium=web2x

I guess there's also the power adapter approach. I think I have to buy more power and data cables no matter, so this is an option.

Hope to work on installation tomorrow.

Last edited by ShoutingMan; 06-09-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 106 Old 06-10-2019, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
It seems that commonly the power issue doesn't show up when connected to backplanes. At least thats what I have read, so that is probably why you have never noticed it.

My server has an old (XFX) PSU that I got with my GTX 580. (Yes GTX not RX). And the last time I added a drive to my setup it wouldn't power up when plugged into regular sata power. Molex adapter did it. Not sure if that would be the case with a current PSU.

I just saw the video on YouTube about bypassing the 3.3V pin and using the SATA to Molex adapter. The backplane in a Supermicro server case uses Molex connectors for the power supply so that's probably why I've never had an issue with my shucked drives. I had originally modified the case so I could use a standard PC PSU, but I ended up reverting the configuration back to stock so I could use a different server PSU with quieter fans. The drives work fine with either PSU setup as they are still connected via the Molex PSU connectors.
post #93 of 106 Old 06-10-2019, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
It's been a while although I remember the conversation (on the telephone after they received it) with the warranty rep very well. "It wasn't produced as a stand alone drive and please let us know who sold it as such"... again I played dumb stating I didn't know as it's the company's (true) and I'm not aware of where it came from. After a bit he decided (rather nicely) they would process the RMA and I thanked him.

If I remember correctly I entered the serial number on their site (to setup the RMA) and it stated it was an external drive. I sent just the drive which is why the rep called. Also some of the external units will only support the same TB size or drives. You can't use them as a "universal" external enclosure.
Unless I'm mistaken, WD uses a key system on the controller boards. Thus they will ONLY work with the original drive. No more board swapping or putting drives into their enclosures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 106 Old 06-10-2019, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
I just saw the video on YouTube about bypassing the 3.3V pin and using the SATA to Molex adapter. The backplane in a Supermicro server case uses Molex connectors for the power supply so that's probably why I've never had an issue with my shucked drives. I had originally modified the case so I could use a standard PC PSU, but I ended up reverting the configuration back to stock so I could use a different server PSU with quieter fans. The drives work fine with either PSU setup as they are still connected via the Molex PSU connectors.
Yes that is correct they don't act up with backplanes. Nice way to avoid the issue.
post #95 of 106 Old 06-10-2019, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, WD uses a key system on the controller boards. Thus they will ONLY work with the original drive. No more board swapping or putting drives into their enclosures.

I believe you're talking about the SATA to USB interface board that's mounted on the drive inside the enclosure. I see no reason why you couldn't use the drive in a generic external enclosure once you detach the interface board. There are far better enclosures than the one supplied with the drive that have internal fans to keep the drive cool. I use external docking stations for SATA drives all the time for temporary portable storage. I would much prefer either option over using the drive in the original enclosure that it came with.
SuperFist likes this.
post #96 of 106 Old 06-10-2019, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Quoted: 2141 Post(s)
Liked: 894
The drive works just fine without the SATA to SUB boards, in a different external case. (I currently have an 8 TB Easystore drive sitting in a Vantec NextStar 6G external case,
and it presents exactly as it would, in the original external case.)
post #97 of 106 Old 06-11-2019, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Checked drive: doesn't work connected directly to my PSU. I managed to get a little clear packing tape just covering the pins (with my wife's help: it was a three-handed job), and it the drive seen in the BIOS! Success! I ordered a $10 SATA 2 cable from BestBuy (vs buying a $4 SATA cable and driving an hour round trip to save $6...and trusting the web where everyone says SATA 2 vs SATA 3 cables don't actually matter). Spent an hour or so getting the drive and cables inserted into my Silverstone case. The drive bay is supposed to hold 7 drives, but I've got them spaced out so this is my last practical slot available. And I'm out of SATA ports too I think now (4 raid drives, SSD, and blu-ray).

And then I worked on reconfiguring my SnapRAID setup:
Copy parity file from old parity drive to new shucked drive
(8 hrs later from copying 5TB file...)
Confirm sync works against copied parity file
Add old parity drive to DrivePool of data drives
Revise SnapRAID conf file
Run new sync to confirm it works

Success!

I now have 3x5TB Data + 8TB Parity. Hopefully the shucked drive works fine.
post #98 of 106 Old 06-13-2019, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post
I now have 3x5TB Data + 8TB Parity. Hopefully the shucked drive works fine.
Congrats. I'm currently at 151 TB using unRAID with dual 8 TB parity drives, 28 data drives, and a 1 TB SSD cache drive. I have a 24-bay Supermicro server rack and an 8-bay Supermicro server rack piggybacked so they run off a single motherboard and PSU. I had to modify the top (8-bay) case to provide feed-thru openings for the data and power supply cables.

FYI - the vast majority of the drives I use are all shucked drives from external enclosures with but a few exceptions. I only have one 3 TB drive left in the array with the rest being a mixture of 4 TB and 8 TB drives. Storage is currently at about 60% capacity so I still have plenty of room left for more files. They're mostly 1080p Blu-Ray rips with a growing library of 4k BD rips. I also have a lot of TV shows archived as well as a lot of home videos. I have the Plex Docker installed so I can stream movies to my Shields.
ShoutingMan likes this.

Last edited by captain_video; 06-13-2019 at 05:56 AM.
post #99 of 106 Old 06-13-2019, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Holy ****e Batman!

post #100 of 106 Old 06-15-2019, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Congrats. I'm currently at 151 TB using unRAID with dual 8 TB parity drives, 28 data drives, and a 1 TB SSD cache drive. I have a 24-bay Supermicro server rack and an 8-bay Supermicro server rack piggybacked so they run off a single motherboard and PSU. I had to modify the top (8-bay) case to provide feed-thru openings for the data and power supply cables.

FYI - the vast majority of the drives I use are all shucked drives from external enclosures with but a few exceptions. I only have one 3 TB drive left in the array with the rest being a mixture of 4 TB and 8 TB drives. Storage is currently at about 60% capacity so I still have plenty of room left for more files. They're mostly 1080p Blu-Ray rips with a growing library of 4k BD rips. I also have a lot of TV shows archived as well as a lot of home videos. I have the Plex Docker installed so I can stream movies to my Shields.
At 10TB of media, I've got a backlog of about 100 unwatched movies (sigh). I'm glad there are folks like you with huge RAIDs and media collections, to sort out all the problems and then help small timers like me. I expect 15TB of storage will last me a good while...or until I shift to a 4K streaming solution and take the HTPC offline.
post #101 of 106 Old 06-15-2019, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just did a spot check and found that I currently have over 1850 full DVD and Blu-Ray rips and about 375 4k BD rips. I have a ton of Disney videos that were all compressed avi files converted to mkvs, but pretty much everything else are full rips of just the main movies. I've got thousands of ripped CDs as flac files. Over 100 archived TV series with one or more complete seasons. I've got digital copies of just about every DC and Marvel comic dating back to the late 30's to present day plus a lot of random titles. I have a lot of music and concert videos as well as digital copies of all of our home movies. I have a section for other content that is ridiculously large that I keep hidden from prying eyes. All of these different categories are set up as shares on my server. The shares are set up automatically across all drives when I set them up so all I have to do is map a single folder to view all content in that category. I can set them up to be shared as public or private folders. The public folders appear in Windows Explorer when viewing content on the network. The private shares have to be specifically mapped in order to access them.

I will never get through even a fraction of these titles in my lifetime, but it gives everyone lots of choices to pick from.
ShoutingMan likes this.

Last edited by captain_video; 06-15-2019 at 11:31 AM.
post #102 of 106 Old 06-18-2019, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:
I just did a spot check and found that I currently have over 1850 full DVD and Blu-Ray rips and about 375 4k BD rips. I have a ton of Disney videos that were all compressed avi files converted to mkvs, but pretty much everything else are full rips of just the main movies. I've got thousands of ripped CDs as flac files. Over 100 archived TV series with one or more complete seasons. I've got digital copies of just about every DC and Marvel comic dating back to the late 30's to present day plus a lot of random titles. I have a lot of music and concert videos as well as digital copies of all of our home movies. I have a section for other content that is ridiculously large that I keep hidden from prying eyes. All of these different categories are set up as shares on my server. The shares are set up automatically across all drives when I set them up so all I have to do is map a single folder to view all content in that category. I can set them up to be shared as public or private folders. The public folders appear in Windows Explorer when viewing content on the network. The private shares have to be specifically mapped in order to access them.

I will never get through even a fraction of these titles in my lifetime, but it gives everyone lots of choices to pick from.
Wow, you either spend a ton of cash on media, or download a ton. It is extremely easy to rack up tons of TB's with the latter. I suppose with the former as well if you have the income.
Sammy2 likes this.
post #103 of 106 Old 06-18-2019, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
Wow, you either spend a ton of cash on media, or download a ton. It is extremely easy to rack up tons of TB's with the latter. I suppose with the former as well if you have the income.

I get them from various sources. The vast majority of the titles are full rips of the main movie from a source disk or recordings from cable or an OTA antenna. I try to keep as close to the original source as possible with no compression so the files tend to be quite large in most cases, hence the need for so much storage.
post #104 of 106 Old 06-20-2019, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Congrats. I'm currently at 151 TB using unRAID with dual 8 TB parity drives, 28 data drives, and a 1 TB SSD cache drive.
Rookie!!!!!
post #105 of 106 Old 06-21-2019, 04:23 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 345
I'm good at 40Tb's; and recycling content.

Last edited by Sammy2; 06-26-2019 at 07:16 AM.
post #106 of 106 Old 06-23-2019, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2518 Post(s)
Liked: 2152
8TB back at $140.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page