need new MB; should I upgrade the processor? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-23-2019, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
need new MB; should I upgrade the processor?

It looks like my motherboard died. I thought it was the power supply, but it's still dead with a new one. I'm perfectly happy with the computer in terms of features. The MB is no longer available. I could get another one that would accept the same processor (Intel Sandy Bridge i5), or one that accepts something newer. I would still run Win7 on it though. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-23-2019, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSmith View Post
It looks like my motherboard died. I thought it was the power supply, but it's still dead with a new one. I'm perfectly happy with the computer in terms of features. The MB is no longer available. I could get another one that would accept the same processor (Intel Sandy Bridge i5), or one that accepts something newer. I would still run Win7 on it though. Any suggestions?
I am hesitant to invest in old motherboards, because they usually cost too much compared to what you would get with a new model. But in your case unless your i5 is not up to task for something you are using it for it would seem like the most economical route.

If you change to any intel platform (or amd) that is even fairly recent (4 years maybe) you will have to also switch to ddr4 which isn't cheap.

Also the newest chips don't support windows 7. From what I have read you can install install win 7 with them, but not all the drivers properly as you normally would. This may mean anything from no problems at all or a headache you want to avoid, you won't know until you try.

If you can get a board for a fair price thats probably your best bet, unless your cpu/platform is lacking a feature you need.

My .02
post #3 of 10 Old 01-23-2019, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
I am hesitant to invest in old motherboards, because they usually cost too much compared to what you would get with a new model. But in your case unless your i5 is not up to task for something you are using it for it would seem like the most economical route.

If you change to any intel platform (or amd) that is even fairly recent (4 years maybe) you will have to also switch to ddr4 which isn't cheap.

Also the newest chips don't support windows 7. From what I have read you can install install win 7 with them, but not all the drivers properly as you normally would. This may mean anything from no problems at all or a headache you want to avoid, you won't know until you try.

If you can get a board for a fair price thats probably your best bet, unless your cpu/platform is lacking a feature you need.

My .02
Right... it sounds like it could be come a can of worms, which I can do without. I'll probably just go for the relatively inexpensive replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-24-2019, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Unless you can find a cheap 1155 board, go for a cheap 1151 board/cpu combination if you want to stick with DDR3.

I'm still using a Gigabyte z68 with a 2500k on my desktop and a H87m/g3258 for my HTPC.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-25-2019, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Could be bad RAM too. If you have dual channel RAM try each stick individually in each slot.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-25-2019, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 41
To me, "motherboard died" means to me is when the power button is pressed, no electricity is flowing besides the stand-by power. If you have fans turning, then the motherboard didn't die. Some other component is not working or is not seated properly. You have to inspect what it is. This is important if you want to get a replacement. If the CPU is at fault, buying a new motherboard will be a waste of time and money. If you have an OEM license of Windows 7, buying a replacement motherboard that is different will not work. OEM license are stuck to the motherboard. A retail license gives a little more options.

Do what Slosh suggested. Also remove the graphics card if you have one installed.

You should plan soon to upgrade to Windows 10. Microsoft is dropping support for Windows 7 next year.

Latest processors are able to run Windows 7. Microsoft just put a soft block for auto updates on the latest processors. It's possible to manually install Windows 7 updates for these processors. Motherboard manufacture won't support Windows 7 for the latest processors. This means there won't be any drivers from Windows 7 when using the latest processors.

What is the reason why you want to stick with Windows 7?
post #7 of 10 Old 01-25-2019, 10:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecknurd View Post
To me, "motherboard died" means to me is when the power button is pressed, no electricity is flowing besides the stand-by power. If you have fans turning, then the motherboard didn't die. Some other component is not working or is not seated properly. You have to inspect what it is. This is important if you want to get a replacement. If the CPU is at fault, buying a new motherboard will be a waste of time and money. If you have an OEM license of Windows 7, buying a replacement motherboard that is different will not work. OEM license are stuck to the motherboard. A retail license gives a little more options.

Do what Slosh suggested. Also remove the graphics card if you have one installed.

You should plan soon to upgrade to Windows 10. Microsoft is dropping support for Windows 7 next year.

Latest processors are able to run Windows 7. Microsoft just put a soft block for auto updates on the latest processors. It's possible to manually install Windows 7 updates for these processors. Motherboard manufacture won't support Windows 7 for the latest processors. This means there won't be any drivers from Windows 7 when using the latest processors.

What is the reason why you want to stick with Windows 7?
True but you can definitely have a "dead" board as in broken, that still has power going through it but doesn't function properly. I have one in my garage right now. But definitely a good idea to rule out everything else. Highly unlikely that it is the CPU but it does happen.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-29-2019, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

I installed a used ASUS PZ877-M board, which should work fine with my components. The pilot light on the board comes on, but it is not booting. I tried each memory card separately... Still nothing. I am thinking that the problem could be the processor at this point. [the reason I want to stick with Win7 is for the WMC functionality.]

Last edited by DougSmith; 01-29-2019 at 05:35 PM.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-30-2019, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSmith View Post
I installed a used ASUS PZ877-M board, which should work fine with my components. The pilot light on the board comes on, but it is not booting. I tried each memory card separately... Still nothing. I am thinking that the problem could be the processor at this point. [the reason I want to stick with Win7 is for the WMC functionality.]
A couple of months ago I picked up an i7-3770 for less than $95 shipped. Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge CPUs are getting really inexpensive and still perform quite well.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-30-2019, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Yes, I believe an Ivy Bridge will be fine for my needs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page