MadVR HTPC build for JVC NX7 projector - a build! - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 43Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 235 Old 06-02-2019, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
tommarra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgdl View Post
You posted this in three different threads.

No, don't pass through the HDR metadata. You can do anything you want on the projector but the best setup is likely User 1, HDR color, 2.4 gamma, brightness -2, iris set to 0 under manual mode and then switched to auto 2 mode


Only thing I might edit - depending on whether you see the yellow DI or not - use the BT.2020 color profile

In my setup I have noticed much lower color shift with BT.2020 with Auto DI than with HDR profile.

Your mileage may vary


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gear: Fronts: B&W 803D3 | Center: B&W HTM2D3 | Surrounds: B&W 705S2 | Backs: B&W DM601S3 | Heights: Definitive Techonlogy ProCinema 1000 | Receiver & Amps: Anthem MRX 720 + Emotiva BasX-5 | Projector: JVC NX7 | Source: HTPC with Nvidia 2070, Kodi + External Player: MPC-HC with MadVR (for Blu-ray rips), Nvidia Shield (for streaming content)
tommarra is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 235 Old 06-03-2019, 05:01 AM
Member
 
FGEvans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 15
one query is that is there any benefit on using windows full screen exclusive mode over windowed mode. The reason i ask is if i use full screen exclusive mode my composition rate is 60fps even though image frame rate is 24fps

what is the composition rate?
FGEvans is offline  
post #183 of 235 Old 06-03-2019, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JaremyP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: MI
Posts: 1,347
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 402
What is the playback mechanism/software on a system like this to play 4k/HD BD ISOs with menus?

Video: JVC NX7, Stewart Cima Neve 135"
Audio: Marantz AV7704, Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3
Speakers: Focal Electra 1038 Be x 2, Electra CC 1008 Be, Aria 906 x 8, REL S5 SHO x 2
Sources: Apple TV 4k, Kaleidescape Strato, Oppo 203, Xbox One X, Nintendo Switch
Xbox Live: TrackZ
JaremyP is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #184 of 235 Old 06-03-2019, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
tommarra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGEvans View Post
one query is that is there any benefit on using windows full screen exclusive mode over windowed mode. The reason i ask is if i use full screen exclusive mode my composition rate is 60fps even though image frame rate is 24fps

what is the composition rate?
Supposedly better performance and rendering times. Although I am not sure how much that is true. I havent noticed any issues using either of the two.

Do you notice any stutter in pan shots? when the composition rate is 60fps.

If not, it could just be false data

Gear: Fronts: B&W 803D3 | Center: B&W HTM2D3 | Surrounds: B&W 705S2 | Backs: B&W DM601S3 | Heights: Definitive Techonlogy ProCinema 1000 | Receiver & Amps: Anthem MRX 720 + Emotiva BasX-5 | Projector: JVC NX7 | Source: HTPC with Nvidia 2070, Kodi + External Player: MPC-HC with MadVR (for Blu-ray rips), Nvidia Shield (for streaming content)
tommarra is offline  
post #185 of 235 Old 06-03-2019, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
tommarra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post
What is the playback mechanism/software on a system like this to play 4k/HD BD ISOs with menus?
Jriver - perhaps.

I know MPC-HC doesnt support blu-ray menus.

VLC does, but it doesnt support MadVR.

Gear: Fronts: B&W 803D3 | Center: B&W HTM2D3 | Surrounds: B&W 705S2 | Backs: B&W DM601S3 | Heights: Definitive Techonlogy ProCinema 1000 | Receiver & Amps: Anthem MRX 720 + Emotiva BasX-5 | Projector: JVC NX7 | Source: HTPC with Nvidia 2070, Kodi + External Player: MPC-HC with MadVR (for Blu-ray rips), Nvidia Shield (for streaming content)
tommarra is offline  
post #186 of 235 Old 06-03-2019, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
BondDonBond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: US
Posts: 801
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 563
I have this set up also with the NX7 but with a DCR lens. Have a nice Aleanware computer with the Nvidia 2080 card. Started to play with MadVR. Problem is when showing the wife the differences with 4K UHD there wasn't much difference compared to the Panni 820 and the JVC. I think a lot of nights of tweaking are going to have to happen. I am sure it will be great.

Really want to get Kodi on my appleTV devices and get plex to play the MKV files.....more studying. Then I went nuts and got a 4 bay NAS and put 2 10TB drives in it.....I need an intervention and rehab for this habit....

Home Theater: JVC NX7, Stewart 120" 2:35 StudioTech 130, Panamorph DCR Lens, B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- 18" Velodyn Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Oppo 203, Panasonic 820, Apple TV, XBox One
BondDonBond is offline  
post #187 of 235 Old 06-03-2019, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
tommarra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by BondDonBond View Post
I have this set up also with the NX7 but with a DCR lens. Have a nice Aleanware computer with the Nvidia 2080 card. Started to play with MadVR. Problem is when showing the wife the differences with 4K UHD there wasn't much difference compared to the Panni 820 and the JVC. I think a lot of nights of tweaking are going to have to happen. I am sure it will be great.



Really want to get Kodi on my appleTV devices and get plex to play the MKV files.....more studying. Then I went nuts and got a 4 bay NAS and put 2 10TB drives in it.....I need an intervention and rehab for this habit....


Lol it’s an addiction isn’t it

Although you sure you have MadVR correctly configured for HDR? I don’t have the DCR, but the difference is night and day for my setup. I only get about 80 nits off my screen and without MadVR tone mapping the image is very uneven, for some scenes it’s fine, but then in some cases it goes very flat. For example the first scene in Avengers or the casino Scene in BR2049

Are you using the test builds for MadVR that does dynamic tone mapping a la Dolby Vision




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gear: Fronts: B&W 803D3 | Center: B&W HTM2D3 | Surrounds: B&W 705S2 | Backs: B&W DM601S3 | Heights: Definitive Techonlogy ProCinema 1000 | Receiver & Amps: Anthem MRX 720 + Emotiva BasX-5 | Projector: JVC NX7 | Source: HTPC with Nvidia 2070, Kodi + External Player: MPC-HC with MadVR (for Blu-ray rips), Nvidia Shield (for streaming content)
tommarra is offline  
post #188 of 235 Old 06-03-2019, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
BondDonBond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: US
Posts: 801
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommarra View Post
Lol it’s an addiction isn’t it

Although you sure you have MadVR correctly configured for HDR? I don’t have the DCR, but the difference is night and day for my setup. I only get about 80 nits off my screen and without MadVR tone mapping the image is very uneven, for some scenes it’s fine, but then in some cases it goes very flat. For example the first scene in Avengers or the casino Scene in BR2049

Are you using the test builds for MadVR that does dynamic tone mapping a la Dolby Vision




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh, I am sure I don't have it all configured exactly right but I have used the setting you gave as well as some other experts. Yes I am using the test builds.

I need to double check the projector settings again as well as go through it all to make sure nothing changed.

Home Theater: JVC NX7, Stewart 120" 2:35 StudioTech 130, Panamorph DCR Lens, B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- 18" Velodyn Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Oppo 203, Panasonic 820, Apple TV, XBox One
BondDonBond is offline  
post #189 of 235 Old 06-03-2019, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
ddgdl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 609
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by BondDonBond View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommarra View Post
Lol it’s an addiction isn’t it

Although you sure you have MadVR correctly configured for HDR? I don’t have the DCR, but the difference is night and day for my setup. I only get about 80 nits off my screen and without MadVR tone mapping the image is very uneven, for some scenes it’s fine, but then in some cases it goes very flat. For example the first scene in Avengers or the casino Scene in BR2049

Are you using the test builds for MadVR that does dynamic tone mapping a la Dolby Vision




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh, I am sure I don't have it all configured exactly right but I have used the setting you gave as well as some other experts. Yes I am using the test builds.

I need to double check the projector settings again as well as go through it all to make sure nothing changed.
The much bigger impact for you, given the brightness you have with the DCR lens, is going to be in the far superior upscaling of non-4k sources. The tone mapping is great too, of course- especially, I've found, using Soulnight's measurement utility (see the other thread), but I found the upscaling to be the bigger wow for me, as I don't think the Jvc's upscaler is particularly fantastic
ddgdl is offline  
post #190 of 235 Old 06-04-2019, 01:11 AM
Member
 
FGEvans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommarra View Post
Supposedly better performance and rendering times. Although I am not sure how much that is true. I havent noticed any issues using either of the two.

Do you notice any stutter in pan shots? when the composition rate is 60fps.

If not, it could just be false data
even though the madvr data shows 60fps composition rate the projector is showing 24fps
FGEvans is offline  
post #191 of 235 Old 06-04-2019, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
tommarra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGEvans View Post
even though the madvr data shows 60fps composition rate the projector is showing 24fps


There you go - probably just false data.

Real test is if you see stuttering in long pan shots

Gear: Fronts: B&W 803D3 | Center: B&W HTM2D3 | Surrounds: B&W 705S2 | Backs: B&W DM601S3 | Heights: Definitive Techonlogy ProCinema 1000 | Receiver & Amps: Anthem MRX 720 + Emotiva BasX-5 | Projector: JVC NX7 | Source: HTPC with Nvidia 2070, Kodi + External Player: MPC-HC with MadVR (for Blu-ray rips), Nvidia Shield (for streaming content)
tommarra is offline  
post #192 of 235 Old 06-22-2019, 02:43 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi Guys,

Since we are tone mapping for SDR are we still aiming for 16ftl or 50nits? Or still as high as we can get with low lamp full iris etc?
shazza6887 is offline  
post #193 of 235 Old 06-22-2019, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,502
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4639 Post(s)
Liked: 2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by shazza6887 View Post
Hi Guys,

Since we are tone mapping for SDR are we still aiming for 16ftl or 50nits? Or still as high as we can get with low lamp full iris etc?
Man I'm not sure how you posted this but your S and s are HTML codes.

Anyways, you shouldn't limit yourself to 50 nits. I'd be running low lamp, open iris, dynamic iris enabled if it were me and then let madVR handle it from there. Some still kick into high lamp for this but I don't like running high lamp if not needed.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #194 of 235 Old 06-25-2019, 05:33 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by shazza6887 View Post
Hi Guys,

Since we are tone mapping for SDR are we still aiming for 16ftl or 50nits? Or still as high as we can get with low lamp full iris etc?


I use high lamp still for tonemapped HDR. The fan noise is not noticeable unless a scene is completely silent. It looks fantastic. Downside is wear on the bulb. I should try it in low lamp and see if there is much noticeable difference.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cogdok is online now  
post #195 of 235 Old 06-27-2019, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 2,828
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2215 Post(s)
Liked: 2070
Quote:
Originally Posted by shazza6887 View Post
Hi Guys,

Since we are tone mapping for SDR are we still aiming for 16ftl or 50nits? Or still as high as we can get with low lamp full iris etc?
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Man I'm not sure how you posted this but your S and s are HTML codes.
Been seeing more of this lately on this forum. Has something changed with the forum? Or is there some new forum client app that is causing this?

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Vertex/Linker/Integral
claw is offline  
post #196 of 235 Old 06-27-2019, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
tommarra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogdok View Post
I use high lamp still for tonemapped HDR. The fan noise is not noticeable unless a scene is completely silent. It looks fantastic. Downside is wear on the bulb. I should try it in low lamp and see if there is much noticeable difference.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Second that. More headroom you can give MadVR to play with better your performance will be I.e more pop less clipping of really bright content


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gear: Fronts: B&W 803D3 | Center: B&W HTM2D3 | Surrounds: B&W 705S2 | Backs: B&W DM601S3 | Heights: Definitive Techonlogy ProCinema 1000 | Receiver & Amps: Anthem MRX 720 + Emotiva BasX-5 | Projector: JVC NX7 | Source: HTPC with Nvidia 2070, Kodi + External Player: MPC-HC with MadVR (for Blu-ray rips), Nvidia Shield (for streaming content)
tommarra is offline  
post #197 of 235 Old 06-30-2019, 04:27 AM
Senior Member
 
AndreNewman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Has anyone got the madvr masking working? I’m wanting to mask 2:35:1 movies with “imax” variable ratio shots to remove the overspill. I have a 2.35:1 screen and a jvc x7000

I’ve got the profiles working manually but when I set top or bottom masking the picture just gets smaller instead of masking.

I’m using kodi and mhc-be player with windows 10 and a gtx 1070

Thanks
AndreNewman is offline  
post #198 of 235 Old 06-30-2019, 04:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Onkyoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,664
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Onkyoman is online now  
post #199 of 235 Old 06-30-2019, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,502
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4639 Post(s)
Liked: 2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreNewman View Post
Has anyone got the madvr masking working? I’m wanting to mask 2:35:1 movies with “imax” variable ratio shots to remove the overspill. I have a 2.35:1 screen and a jvc x7000

I’ve got the profiles working manually but when I set top or bottom masking the picture just gets smaller instead of masking.

I’m using kodi and mhc-be player with windows 10 and a gtx 1070

Thanks
Couldn't this just as easily be done by setting the masking in the JVC projector lens menu?

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #200 of 235 Old 06-30-2019, 09:38 AM
Senior Member
 
AndreNewman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Couldn't this just as easily be done by setting the masking in the JVC projector lens menu?


Yes very easily but there’s no way(I can find) to select a mask memory without digging in the menus. So it’s impossible to automate it from a Harmony remote.

A hdfury vertex has directly controlled masking but can only mask top or bottom.

Madvr should do it, I’ve created profiles that change the hdr nits, select the lens memory but the masking eludes me, clearly I’m doing something wrong.
AndreNewman is offline  
post #201 of 235 Old 06-30-2019, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
SirMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 511
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreNewman View Post
Yes very easily but there’s no way(I can find) to select a mask memory without digging in the menus. So it’s impossible to automate it from a Harmony remote.

A hdfury vertex has directly controlled masking but can only mask top or bottom.

Madvr should do it, I’ve created profiles that change the hdr nits, select the lens memory but the masking eludes me, clearly I’m doing something wrong.


MadVR doesn’t have masking, you are doing the define screen area which will shrink the image as you have seen.

Masking in the JVC should save under an installation mode which you should be able to call from your remote.

You could also set up madVR to automatically select an installation mode when a certain profile is selected.
SirMaster is offline  
post #202 of 235 Old 06-30-2019, 09:46 AM
Senior Member
 
AndreNewman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkyoman View Post
Try the instructions for zoom control and screen config found here:



https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php...958#pid2238958


Thanks, I’ve read all that but it doesn’t work for me the way that doc suggests.

Maybe the problem is in the player config not madvr. I’ll look there or try a different player.

There’s some wackiness with the madvr setting window too, maybe that’s related or player specific. Ctrl j works every time but the ctrl s shortcut works sometimes and only ever when you hold it for a few seconds.

Image quality is excellent, when it works, getting there. This is my second attempt at a windows htpc, first time a few years ago I gave up and went back to linux, much simpler.
AndreNewman is offline  
post #203 of 235 Old 06-30-2019, 09:51 AM
Senior Member
 
AndreNewman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
MadVR doesn’t have masking, you are doing the define screen area which will shrink the image as you have seen.

Masking in the JVC should save under an installation mode which you should be able to call from your remote.

You could also set up madVR to automatically select an installation mode when a certain profile is selected.


Oh, that’s disappointing, clarifies what’s going on at least.

There’s no installation modes on an X7000 not that I can find anyway. Maybe I can get madvr to call up the mask, ip & serial commands appear to be more comprehensive than ir ones.

Thanks
AndreNewman is offline  
post #204 of 235 Old 06-30-2019, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
SirMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 511
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreNewman View Post
Oh, that’s disappointing, clarifies what’s going on at least.

There’s no installation modes on an X7000 not that I can find anyway. Maybe I can get madvr to call up the mask, ip & serial commands appear to be more comprehensive than ir ones.

Thanks
On the X7000 they are called lens memories. It should work.

IP control certainly works as well if you want to go down that route. I interface with all my HT gear via IP control and you can generally change any setting directly that way.
SirMaster is offline  
post #205 of 235 Old 06-30-2019, 10:03 AM
Senior Member
 
AndreNewman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
On the X7000 they are called lens memories. It should work.



IP control certainly works as well if you want to go down that route. I interface with all my HT gear via IP control and you can generally change any setting directly that way.


I can’t see any way to tie a mask to a lens memory, that would be the correct solution but JVC don’t seem to do things like that. Well it seems they do now in the latest generation, my x7000 is still under warranty and I won’t be changing until it breaks.

I can’t see any command ip or serial and definitely not ir to directly call up a lens mask. If you know the commands please tell me. It makes me wonder why they have multiple masks when you can’t recall them directly.
AndreNewman is offline  
post #206 of 235 Old 06-30-2019, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
SirMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 511
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreNewman View Post
I can’t see any way to tie a mask to a lens memory, that would be the correct solution but JVC don’t seem to do things like that. Well it seems they do now in the latest generation, my x7000 is still under warranty and I won’t be changing until it breaks.

I can’t see any command ip or serial and definitely not ir to directly call up a lens mask. If you know the commands please tell me. It makes me wonder why they have multiple masks when you can’t recall them directly.

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/attributes/PR...mmand_spec.pdf

See page 26, the command is ISMA to switch the mask mode.

Then followed by page 34, the commands 0-3 for custom1,2,3, and off.

So ahead of time, you can set up one of the 3 custom masks to a certain masking amount on the top and bottom, and then activate any of them or turn it off with the mask switch command (ISMA).

You can also control the masking values with ISML, ISMR, ISMT, and ISMB as well to set specific mask values directly, but I don't think you will need to go to that level of control.
SirMaster is offline  
post #207 of 235 Old 06-30-2019, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Onkyoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,664
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreNewman View Post
Thanks, I’ve read all that but it doesn’t work for me the way that doc suggests.

Maybe the problem is in the player config not madvr. I’ll look there or try a different player.

There’s some wackiness with the madvr setting window too, maybe that’s related or player specific. Ctrl j works every time but the ctrl s shortcut works sometimes and only ever when you hold it for a few seconds.

Image quality is excellent, when it works, getting there. This is my second attempt at a windows htpc, first time a few years ago I gave up and went back to linux, much simpler.
When you apply the masking in screen config, the image is scaled to a smaller size. When you check if there are big black bars: zoom the bars away completely in zoom control, the image will be upscaled to match the cropped window size.

If zoom big black bars away isn't working, then something isn't working correctly. You should be using DXVA2 (copy-back) decoding in LAV Video and not D3D11 Native.

If you are using two different screen configurations in screen config, check the control panel during playback to ensure the correct screen configuration was selected.
Onkyoman is online now  
post #208 of 235 Old 06-30-2019, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
SirMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 511
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkyoman View Post
When you apply the masking in screen config, the image is scaled to a smaller size. When you check if there are big black bars: zoom the bars away completely in zoom control, the image will be upscaled to match the cropped window size.

If zoom big black bars away isn't working, then something isn't working correctly. You should be using DXVA2 (copy-back) decoding in LAV Video and not D3D11 Native.
I needed to set up for a friend to crop in all 4 sides a little, but was never able to get it to work in madVR. My conclusion still stands that what I wanted to do is simply not possible with madVR.

All I wanted to do was cover up the border of the image thus changing the amount of the projector's panel being used and also to change the aspect ratio to fill the screen through the anamorphic lens properly. The problem was that madVR was always zooming the image to fill to the edges of the panel which is exactly what I needed to not happen.

I guess it might work if all you are trying to do is mask the top and bottom of the image.

In the end I simply made a program that just ran on the PC and generated black rectangles on the edges of the screen overlaying all programs.
SirMaster is offline  
post #209 of 235 Old 06-30-2019, 11:25 AM
Senior Member
 
AndreNewman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
http://pro.jvc.com/pro/attributes/PR...mmand_spec.pdf



See page 26, the command is ISMA to switch the mask mode.



Then followed by page 34, the commands 0-3 for custom1,2,3, and off.



So ahead of time, you can set up one of the 3 custom masks to a certain masking amount on the top and bottom, and then activate any of them or turn it off with the mask switch command (ISMA).



You can also control the masking values with ISML, ISMR, ISMT, and ISMB as well to set specific mask values directly, but I don't think you will need to go to that level of control.

Excellent, exactly what I was looking for, thank you.

I have had all the correct masks for ages, just didn’t find out how to call them correctly.
AndreNewman is offline  
post #210 of 235 Old 06-30-2019, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Onkyoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,664
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
I needed to set up for a friend to crop in all 4 sides a little, but was never able to get it to work in madVR. My conclusion still stands that what I wanted to do is simply not possible with madVR.

All I wanted to do was cover up the border of the image thus changing the amount of the projector's panel being used and also to change the aspect ratio to fill the screen through the anamorphic lens properly. The problem was that madVR was always zooming the image to fill to the edges of the panel which is exactly what I needed to not happen.

I guess it might work if all you are trying to do is mask the top and bottom of the image.

In the end I simply made a program that just ran on the PC and generated black rectangles on the edges of the screen overlaying all programs.
If you already have it figured out, it is probably isn't worth investigating any further.

You should be able to experiment with what you see on the projector panel by simply opening up a media player window on any computer and applying different masking.

If I crop 135 pixels from the top and bottom of the window and 8 pixels from the left and right, I get a cropped rectangle like this with black pixels on the sides:



I don't use this feature at all, but I used these settings to get the fixed rectangle:





If you aren't getting the same cropped image on the projector, then the wider 4096 x 2160p resolution is causing the image to be wider than it appears in the media player window or the zoom big black bars option isn't working at all to crop the window. If the crop is working correctly, you should be able to compensate by simply moving the sides in further until the overshoot disappears.
Onkyoman is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Home Theater Computers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off