Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 03-19-2019, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2380 Post(s)
Liked: 2767
How often do they update Emby? I used it years ago when it was called Media Browser. Back then they were putting out updates every day or two. It got to the point where I was spending more time doing server updates than watching my movies so I switched to Plex. I don't like the direction Plex has been going lately with all these stupid extra premium features nobody wants so I'm exploring other options.
post #3 of 24 Old 03-19-2019, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
How often do they update Emby? I used it years ago when it was called Media Browser. Back then they were putting out updates every day or two. It got to the point where I was spending more time doing server updates than watching my movies so I switched to Plex. I don't like the direction Plex has been going lately with all these stupid extra premium features nobody wants so I'm exploring other options.
Not super often, they just did a big launch of 4.0 at the beginning of the year. Which had a bunch of work done to the transcoding engine among others things (putting it behind a pay wall).

So there has been a few updates as things are worked out. But its all done automatically, and its not annoying like it was in the WMC days. But you could also just turn off auto update.

Curious if anyone is using an external player (hopefully MPC-HC) with Emby Theater. I can't get it to work and not getting much help at the emby forum.

Keep seeing this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	error.png
Views:	48
Size:	439.6 KB
ID:	2541398  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 03-19-2019, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Transcoding is behind a pay wall?
post #5 of 24 Old 03-19-2019, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Transcoding is behind a pay wall?
I believe what he meant was that in order to take advantage you need a premier membership. Which can be monthly or lifetime (I think it's still like that anyway). I'll admit I haven't paid much attention as I paid for lifetime a long time ago.
post #6 of 24 Old 03-19-2019, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Guebert View Post
I believe what he meant was that in order to take advantage you need a premier membership. Which can be monthly or lifetime (I think it's still like that anyway). I'll admit I haven't paid much attention as I paid for lifetime a long time ago.
OK, thanks.
post #7 of 24 Old 03-19-2019, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Guebert View Post
Yes that was what I meant, it is part of the premium service. Which I am happy to pay to support the work that goes into it.

So far transcoding works well, and if you use the mod I posted below in another thread you can get past the 2 stream limitation in the Nvidia driver. I use a 1050ti to free up the CPU to be able to do other tasks like running comskip on recordings.
post #8 of 24 Old 03-19-2019, 11:30 AM
CFC
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
Not super often, they just did a big launch of 4.0 at the beginning of the year. Which had a bunch of work done to the transcoding engine among others things (putting it behind a pay wall).

So there has been a few updates as things are worked out. But its all done automatically, and its not annoying like it was in the WMC days. But you could also just turn off auto update.

Curious if anyone is using an external player (hopefully MPC-HC) with Emby Theater. I can't get it to work and not getting much help at the emby forum.

Keep seeing this.
Thanks for starting this thread.

It doesn't help you right now, but I'll be working on the external player (MPC-HC) tonight. I'll report back.

I literally updated to Windows 10 last night on my HTPC. Up to this point I was using the WMC plug-in, with MPC-HC as the external player flawlessly.

I'm disappointed that they removed madvr from ET, but I guess they were having trouble with the programming.
Is the MPV player not very good?

CFC

Signature goes here
post #9 of 24 Old 03-19-2019, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFC View Post
Thanks for starting this thread.

It doesn't help you right now, but I'll be working on the external player (MPC-HC) tonight. I'll report back.

I literally updated to Windows 10 last night on my HTPC. Up to this point I was using the WMC plug-in, with MPC-HC as the external player flawlessly.

I'm disappointed that they removed madvr from ET, but I guess they were having trouble with the programming.
Is the MPV player not very good?

CFC
Yeah I used MPC-HC back in the day through WMC no problem. Not with Emby Theater they want some command line arguments added. I have searched through some threads over there and have some questions out hope to get a response.

Let me know if you have any luck.

MPV is actually a good player, but I just brought an HTPC back to life and added a 1060 to use madvr. There is much more info for it out there and it has a gui. A lot of the settings for MPV have to be done in a config file and there is not much info, you have to dig for it. There is one guy in a huge thread on their forum that has done a ton of testing, but I think the devs are still figuring it out themselves.

I guess it has good support elsewhere so thats why they are using it. I have no issues with it, I actually didn't even know they had taken away Madvr until after I had it setup.

I don't use the HTPC a ton (mostly my Shield) but I want to be able to use it with a remote when I do, so emby theater is better than just using a mouse with MPC-HC.

EDIT## I made a dumb error trying to use MPC-HC as the external, didn't have the right link in the path, all is well now.

Last edited by whiteboy714; 03-19-2019 at 12:08 PM.
post #10 of 24 Old 03-19-2019, 12:13 PM
CFC
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeah I used MPC-HC back in the day through WMC no problem. Not with Emby Theater they want some command line arguments added. I have searched through some threads over there and have some questions out hope to get a response.

Let me know if you have any luck.

MPV is actually a good player, but I just brought an HTPC back to life and added a 1060 to use madvr. There is much more info for it out there and it has a gui. A lot of the settings for MPV have to be done in a config file and there is not much info, you have to dig for it. There is one guy in a huge thread on their forum that has done a ton of testing, but I think the devs are still figuring it out themselves.

I guess it has good support elsewhere so thats why they are using it. I have no issues with it, I actually didn't even know they had taken away Madvr until after I had it setup.

I don't use the HTPC a ton (mostly my Shield) but I want to be able to use it with a remote when I do, so emby theater is better than just using a mouse with MPC-HC.

EDIT## I made a dumb error trying to use MPC-HC as the external, didn't have the right link in the path, all is well now.
Cool.
Can you share what you used as your correct path/command line?

CFC

Signature goes here
post #11 of 24 Old 03-19-2019, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Cool.
Can you share what you used as your correct path/command line?

CFC
I just have the path where the exe sits

C:\Users\r5-2600\Downloads\MPC-HC.1.7.13.x64\MPC-HC.1.7.13.x64\mpc-hc64.exe

Then I am not sure how necessary all this is but I copied it from another thread.
{path}
/start
/fullscreen
/play
/close

That is in the box below, it will make sense if you haven't looked at it yet.
post #12 of 24 Old 03-19-2019, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 214
I store much of my media as .iso files, so emby and plex do not work for me. Neither supports transcoding from .iso containers.

Media Room: LG oled65c7, Marantz AV8805, Sherbourn 7/2100, Emotiva A-300, Studer A80, Studer Revox b795, Nakamichi RX-202, HTPC, exaSound e38, Sweetvinyl Sugarcube SC-2, (2) Piega P10, Piega Coax Center, (6) Piega AP 1.2, Hsu VTF-15h mk2
Office: Emotiva mini-x A100, Geek Pulse, (2) KEF LS-50, Goldenear FF 4, PC, NAS 130TB
Bedroom: Panasonic TCP55vt35, Marantz NR1200, Dune 3 Prime, (2) Elac Uni-Fi UB5
post #13 of 24 Old 03-19-2019, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post
I store much of my media as .iso files, so emby and plex do not work for me. Neither supports transcoding from .iso containers.
I hear you, .iso is not the most accepted container. What do you use to watch them? And do you use iso to preserve menus? Or do you just like to have a copy of the entire thing?
post #14 of 24 Old 03-19-2019, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I hear you, .iso is not the most accepted container. What do you use to watch them? And do you use iso to preserve menus? Or do you just like to have a copy of the entire thing?
I use .iso files for:

SACD
DVD-Audio
DVD
Blu-ray
UHD

I use the .iso container both to maintain a full copy and full functionality. Storage is cheap these days. $16/Terabyte is great and it's only going to get cheaper.

I use JRiver and DVDFab Media Player. Both play .iso files directly.

Media Room: LG oled65c7, Marantz AV8805, Sherbourn 7/2100, Emotiva A-300, Studer A80, Studer Revox b795, Nakamichi RX-202, HTPC, exaSound e38, Sweetvinyl Sugarcube SC-2, (2) Piega P10, Piega Coax Center, (6) Piega AP 1.2, Hsu VTF-15h mk2
Office: Emotiva mini-x A100, Geek Pulse, (2) KEF LS-50, Goldenear FF 4, PC, NAS 130TB
post #15 of 24 Old 03-19-2019, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I use .iso files for:

SACD
DVD-Audio
DVD
Blu-ray
UHD

I use the .iso container both to maintain a full copy and full functionality. Storage is cheap these days. $16/Terabyte is great and it's only going to get cheaper.

When using either of those players do you have menus intact?

Also you have to use something like AnyDVD to rip (decrypt) them right?
post #16 of 24 Old 03-19-2019, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When using either of those players do you have menus intact?

Also you have to use something like AnyDVD to rip (decrypt) them right?
Yes and Yes

post #17 of 24 Old 03-20-2019, 08:15 AM
CFC
Advanced Member

Quote:
I just have the path where the exe sits

C:\Users\r5-2600\Downloads\MPC-HC.1.7.13.x64\MPC-HC.1.7.13.x64\mpc-hc64.exe

Then I am not sure how necessary all this is but I copied it from another thread.
{path}
/start
/fullscreen
/play
/close

That is in the box below, it will make sense if you haven't looked at it yet.
Thanks.
I got it going last night.

for "/start" to be effective, you also need to pair it with {ms} underneath it.
This will allow MPC-HC to resume the video file.
The problem with Emby Theater is that it doesn't read back the file position from MPC-HC and will just assume that the full video has been played.
Emby for WMC used to handle that even using MPC-HC as an external player.
I put the request in the Emby forum, but it doesn't seem like the devs are warm to it: https://emby.media/community/index.p...-emby-theater/
I guess we need people to chime in on the request.

I appreciate the help.

CFC

Signature goes here
post #18 of 24 Old 03-20-2019, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks.
I got it going last night.

for "/start" to be effective, you also need to pair it with {ms} underneath it.
This will allow MPC-HC to resume the video file.
The problem with Emby Theater is that it doesn't read back the file position from MPC-HC and will just assume that the full video has been played.
Emby for WMC used to handle that even using MPC-HC as an external player.
I put the request in the Emby forum, but it doesn't seem like the devs are warm to it: https://emby.media/community/index.p...-emby-theater/
I guess we need people to chime in on the request.

I appreciate the help.

CFC
Yeah thanks I had read that later. I am waiting on a bluetooth dongle to hook the HTPC to my Harmony Hub. So I haven't done any real testing until then, as I hope for it to work more like an appliance this time around.
post #19 of 24 Old 03-22-2019, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
I use .iso files for:

SACD
DVD-Audio
DVD
Blu-ray
UHD

I was in the same boat, ISO was a nightmare to work with, so I ended up remuxing all of my movies.

Overall I'm very happy with Emby, paid the subscription a long time ago and it is worth it.

Still having an issue with mk3d remuxes of MVC (3D) movies and there's no solution yet:

https://emby.media/community/index.p...er-26-minutes/

Other than that and the weird cursor issue reported by many, Emby Theatre works well with a Harmony One remote.

post #20 of 24 Old 03-22-2019, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpitz View Post
I was in the same boat, ISO was a nightmare to work with, so I ended up remuxing all of my movies.

Overall I'm very happy with Emby, paid the subscription a long time ago and it is worth it.

Still having an issue with mk3d remuxes of MVC (3D) movies and there's no solution yet:

https://emby.media/community/index.p...er-26-minutes/

Other than that and the weird cursor issue reported by many, Emby Theatre works well with a Harmony One remote.
I just finally got my HTPC hooked up to the harmony hub and I am also having good results with Emby Theater and harmony.
post #21 of 24 Old 06-28-2019, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 3273 Post(s)
Liked: 5359
Subscribing.

Used Emby for about 2-3 years now. Pretty solid, it can get buggy at times, needing a restart, but what doesn't?
post #22 of 24 Old 05-15-2020, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Accessing Emby Server from a Limited User Account

I have been struggling to install Emby Server on an Intel Windows 10 NUC so that I can leave the NUC running a limited user account and still have the Emby Server be functional. On my first attempt, I installed the Emby Server while in the Administrator user account, and found that if I then logged in to a limited user account, that the server functionality was not available. So I uninstalled the server, and then installed it again from a limited user account (with the requisite permission from the Administrator account); Unfortunately even in this second installation, all the files including the server executable file got installed in the Administrator's "Appdata\Roaming" location, with the result that I have no access to the server while the limited user account is logged into on the NUC. If I log into the Administrator account and start the server, then sign out and log back in as a limited user, the server stops running!

I haven't subscribed to their $5/month Premium service yet because I am not going to be leaving the NUC running while logged into the Administrator account. None of the tutorials mention anything about this. Any ideas??
post #23 of 24 Old 05-17-2020, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyConVal View Post
I have been struggling to install Emby Server on an Intel Windows 10 NUC so that I can leave the NUC running a limited user account and still have the Emby Server be functional. On my first attempt, I installed the Emby Server while in the Administrator user account, and found that if I then logged in to a limited user account, that the server functionality was not available. So I uninstalled the server, and then installed it again from a limited user account (with the requisite permission from the Administrator account); Unfortunately even in this second installation, all the files including the server executable file got installed in the Administrator's "Appdata\Roaming" location, with the result that I have no access to the server while the limited user account is logged into on the NUC. If I log into the Administrator account and start the server, then sign out and log back in as a limited user, the server stops running!

I haven't subscribed to their $5/month Premium service yet because I am not going to be leaving the NUC running while logged into the Administrator account. None of the tutorials mention anything about this. Any ideas??
Why would you want to use a "limited user account" and not the Admin one? If you are worried about access and control whether on main computer or remote, can't you just password protect it or limit the "user's" options through the settings?

Toys

Denon AVR-3311CI, Denon DVP-602CI, B&K Reference 200.7 S2, Belkin PF60
Sony BDP-S5000ES, Silverstone HTPC (6 Tuner DVR & 10 TB Media)
PSB Stratus Minis, PSB Stratus C6, PSB Alpha S surround, James Subwoofer EMB-1200
Sharp LC-70LE755U, Harmony 880 Remote
post #24 of 24 Old 05-17-2020, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toys7505 View Post
Why would you want to use a "limited user account" and not the Admin one? If you are worried about access and control whether on main computer or remote, can't you just password protect it or limit the "user's" options through the settings?

Toys
If I log the NUC out of the Admin account, thus gaining the Admin-Password protection, the Emby Server stops running, presumably because the server executable file is located in the Admin's AppData\Roaming folder instead of in the Windows\Program Files (x86) folder.

As to why I want to leave the NUC logged into a "limited user" account, it's because of having the increased security against hackers resulting from the limited permissions granted to a "limited user". And I want to stay logged into the Limited Account so that I can access the shared folders on the NUC from other computers on the LAN.

I am wondering whether Emby put their server in the Admin's AppData\Roaming folder because their server needs Admin privileges to function. If the server does not require Admin-privileges, I am considering temporarily changing my Limited Account to an Admin Account and then installing Emby there, and then switching the account back to Limited. But I would like to know beforehand whether the server requires Admin privileges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page