Cyberlink Releases PowerDVD 19 with 8K Playback - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

post #31 of 49 Old 04-25-2019, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiyosaya View Post
As I understand it, the current AMD and nVidia drivers both implement a hardware restricted path for data that is compliant with the Windows API. It is this aspect that allows Netflix, in particular, to display in 4K on PCs that have the requisite cards from either vendor.

Assuming I am correct, this hardware restricted environment would be compliant with the requirements for 4K UHD BR playback. If that is the case, then it is the folks making PowerDVD that would have to change their software for 4K UHD BR playback - making those Intel hardware requirements moot.

Someone please correct me if I am mistaken.

According to the licensee list, Nvidia has full PlayReady certification and AMD has Beta certification for their respective products, at PlayReady 3.0 level, which is what Microsoft intended for all 4K content. We are at PlayReady 4.0 now, and UHD-BD playback requires a new AACS version that went to market for licensees at the end of last year, and the industry-wide transition to 4K displays this year means that AMD and Nvidia will probably be getting their hardware in order, but we'll have to see what Computex brings in terms of announcements.
wiyosaya likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 04-26-2019, 05:44 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Any one tried tone mapping with this? I didn’t see it listed on the site. My server is currently down since i just moved , so I have no way to try it. Thanks
post #33 of 49 Old 04-26-2019, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
According to the licensee list, Nvidia has full PlayReady certification and AMD has Beta certification for their respective products, at PlayReady 3.0 level, which is what Microsoft intended for all 4K content. We are at PlayReady 4.0 now, and UHD-BD playback requires a new AACS version that went to market for licensees at the end of last year, and the industry-wide transition to 4K displays this year means that AMD and Nvidia will probably be getting their hardware in order, but we'll have to see what Computex brings in terms of announcements.
Thanks. Pretty much what I thought - that the pathway enabled by compliance with PlayReady (the name escaped me in my first post) is compliant with a secure hardware path.

I'll keep my fingers crossed. I am sure there are others out there, too, who would prefer to just drop in a compliant GPU without having to buy entirely new hardware. I would jump - I already have a 4K UHD BR drive.

My HT and the thrill of getting new equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 49 Old 05-02-2019, 09:06 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 171
I have been using PowerDVD for many years as my only optical disc software player on my HTPC. It has its quirks, but it mostly works well.

I recently upgraded my HTPC with the following components to enable UHD playback in PowerDVD:
1. Intel 9th gen i7
2. Asrock Phantom Z390 motherboard with Intel 630, that supports HDMI 2.0 and HDR
3. LG wh16ns60 drive

I have the HDMI cable connected to a NAD surround sound processor. I use HDMI passthru in PowerDVD and I get Dolby/DTS from the processor. However with UHD movies, PowerDVD 19 isn't letting me pass Atmos. It only sends Dolby 5.1 or LPCM. I see the same on the NAD's display as well.

I emailed Cyberlink and they confirmed that Atmos passthru isn't supported. So while PowerDVD has been adding features like 8K playback etc, if it can't pass thru multichannel sound "as is", then it's a showstopper for me.

Any suggestions or alternatives? I don't want to convert UHD discs to mkv every time, I have to watch one.

Audio: Bryston SP4 | ATI 6005 + 528NC
Video: JVC RS2000 | Stewart Cima | Custom HTPC | Sony UBP-X800M2
Speakers: B&W CM10 S2, CM Center 2 S2, 4 x DS3 | 4 x SVS SB4000
Acoustic treatment: GSK Acoustics
Furniture: Middle Atlantic RSC rack |
Seatcraft recliners | Sound Anchors
post #35 of 49 Old 05-03-2019, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Using PowerDVD v.18, passing through Atmos, DTS:X or any other format have never been a problem for me feeding my Denon and always displayed such. Haven't used it for UHD but for HD and below it's never been a problem. I find it hard to believe they discontinued high bitrate audio in v.19 but I haven't upgraded to it yet. Is it only non functioning for UHD? That doesn't make sense? What does converting a disc to mkv have to do with it?

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1909 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3&5 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D / Denon S720W

Last edited by brazen1; 05-03-2019 at 07:50 AM.
post #36 of 49 Old 05-03-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
Using PowerDVD v.18, passing through Atmos, DTS:X or any other format have never been a problem for me feeding my Denon and always displayed such. Haven't used it for UHD but for HD and below it's never been a problem. I find it hard to believe they discontinued high bitrate audio in v.19 but I haven't upgraded to it yet. Is it only non functioning for UHD? That doesn't make sense? What does converting a disc to mkv have to do with it?
Yes, it worked better for me in earlier versions, including Atmos. I use PowerDVD Live (subscription service), so they upgraded me to v19 as soon as it was available. When I contacted their support, their response was -

"The Dolby ATMOS HDMI passthrough might partially work or might not work while you are playing movies in PowerDVD, however the full compatibility or functionality is NOT offered/guaranteed by CyberLink for any PowerDVD versions.
It is expected if the audio is not passthrough as "Dolby ATMOS", but in PCM decoded format (decoded from Dolby TrueHD). "

To me, this is a deal breaker. What is the use of adding 8K and all that new "bloatware" functionality if basic functionality doesn't work.
SuperFist and brazen1 like this.

post #37 of 49 Old 05-03-2019, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

I don't know? That statement reads about a half dozen ways to me. Are you sure you adjusted the audio to output untouched (passthrough) in PowerDVD audio settings?

W10 1909 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3&5 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
post #38 of 49 Old 05-03-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
I don't know? That statement reads about a half dozen ways to me. Are you sure you adjusted the audio to output untouched (passthrough) in PowerDVD audio settings?

My audio output mode is always "Non-decoded high definition audio to external device". While playing UHD discs, if I right click on the video and select "Information", it shows output as "LPCM". When playing HD Blu rays, it works and correctly shows "Compressed data". This wasn't the case with v18 as I have played the same UHD discs with it many times.
I have asked Cyberlink Support to provide me instructions to downgrade to v18, still waiting for them to respond.

Have you had any luck with any other players that can play UHD discs with HDR and HDMI passthrough? I downloaded DVDFab trial yesterday, but it sends Dolby TrueHD for the same disc, instead of Atmos and it didn't switch to HDR mode, if though the HDR mode was set to "Auto" in video settings.

post #39 of 49 Old 05-03-2019, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Fab v.3 engages HDR mode and all high/low bitrate audios for me. v.5 had too many caveats when I tried it especially dropping private API's from nVidia and AMD leaving Windows HDR only (which has no control at display level) as well as requiring manual resolution intervention instead of auto in order to use 3D mode. v.3 never had 3D mode though. This leaves PowerDVD as the one and only 3D player with full menu support hence my need and desire. Now you inform no Atmos. PowerDVD v.18 appears to be my best choice rather than upgrade for 8k sources that I do not have... yet. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by brazen1; 05-03-2019 at 09:52 AM.
post #40 of 49 Old 05-06-2019, 09:10 PM

Cyberlink provided me a license for v18 and it works so much better with Atmos and DTS:X. I am able to passthrough bitstream audio with UHD Blu Rays now.
SuperFist likes this.

post #41 of 49 Old 05-09-2019, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankmittal View Post
Cyberlink provided me a license for v18 and it works so much better with Atmos and DTS:X. I am able to passthrough bitstream audio with UHD Blu Rays now.
Not sure why you could not do it before, I have been doing it for years now. Bitstreaming means the software does not care at all about what is in the stream...sending it uncompressed to the AVR, which opens it and does all the magic (which is what it is there for).

Good they provided you an updated copy, still odd the other did not work when you were bitstreaming, since it sends the info from the disc undisturbed to your AVR.

-----------------------------
Est Sularus oth Mitha
post #42 of 49 Old 05-09-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightBlade View Post
Not sure why you could not do it before, I have been doing it for years now. Bitstreaming means the software does not care at all about what is in the stream...sending it uncompressed to the AVR, which opens it and does all the magic (which is what it is there for).

Good they provided you an updated copy, still odd the other did not work when you were bitstreaming, since it sends the info from the disc undisturbed to your AVR.
I have been doing it for years now as well and v19 works properly with regular HD Blu rays. The issue is with UHD playback and whatever changes they did in v19, broke that functionality. Cyberlink insists that they never promised it would work with all versions of PowerDVD and this is not a functionality that is guaranteed to work with all kinds of media.

I hope one of the future patches resolves this issue. Version 18 works well for my needs and I really don't have any issues with it.

post #43 of 49 Old 05-09-2019, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I have been doing it for years now as well and v19 works properly with regular HD Blu rays. The issue is with UHD playback and whatever changes they did in v19, broke that functionality. Cyberlink insists that they never promised it would work with all versions of PowerDVD and this is not a functionality that is guaranteed to work with all kinds of media.

I hope one of the future patches resolves this issue. Version 18 works well for my needs and I really don't have any issues with it.
AH! I understand now, they broke their software. But they do lie, they did claim to have bitstreaming support in the past. I know because it was one of the reasons I moved to PDVD when Arcsoft TMT went under.

-----------------------------
Est Sularus oth Mitha
post #44 of 49 Old 05-09-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightBlade View Post
AH! I understand now, they broke their software. But they do lie, they did claim to have bitstreaming support in the past. I know because it was one of the reasons I moved to PDVD when Arcsoft TMT went under.

Yeah, they probably don't have enough demand from their customers to implement that feature. They don't even mention Atmos or DTS:X on their product page anywhere -

https://www.cyberlink.com/products/p...res_en_US.html

I asked them to log a feature request with engineering, but as always, there is no guarantee when/if it will be implemented.

post #45 of 49 Old 05-10-2019, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 2696 Post(s)
Liked: 2346
Quote:
My audio output mode is always "Non-decoded high definition audio to external device".
Mine is, too, but I need to select it every single time (change it from PCM decoded....). Don't know why the selection doesn't "stick."
Otherwise, my needs are relatively minor and I've been happy with the program for several years.
Sorry for those at the "bleeding edge" if it's not keeping up.
Michael
post #46 of 49 Old 05-10-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
Mine is, too, but I need to select it every single time (change it from PCM decoded....). Don't know why the selection doesn't "stick."
Otherwise, my needs are relatively minor and I've been happy with the program for several years.
Sorry for those at the "bleeding edge" if it's not keeping up.
Michael
I have to select it every time I switch media. If I continue to play the same kind of media, then it sticks. For example - if I switch from Blu ray to DVD, it switches to PCM. This has been a problem since many years, I think all way from v12 and every time I have contacted Cyberlink support, they provided me their standard response that the request has been forwarded to engineering.

post #47 of 49 Old 05-10-2019, 07:42 AM

I really miss Arcsoft TMT. It was pretty stable for me with no usability issues like PowerDVD. Too bad we are stuck with PowerDVD now and there really is no other good option to play optical media.
SuperFist likes this.

post #48 of 49 Old 01-03-2020, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Dvd fab?

Quote:
I really miss Arcsoft TMT. It was pretty stable for me with no usability issues like PowerDVD. Too bad we are stuck with PowerDVD now and there really is no other good option to play optical media.
How about Dvd fab? Sorry i cant link to the website but a simpel google query will give you the result
post #49 of 49 Old 01-03-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentnl View Post
How about Dvd fab? Sorry i cant link to the website but a simpel google query will give you the result
Haven't tried it yet, maybe I should

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
cyberlink powerdvd , powerdvd 19