Cyberlink Releases PowerDVD 19 with 8K Playback - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

post #1 of 47 Old 04-16-2019, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 442 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9171 Post(s)
Liked: 16173
Cyberlink Releases PowerDVD 19 with 8K Playback

PowerDVD marches on. Cyberlink has just announced PowerDVD with 8K playback capability. Presuming you have hardware that supports it (DisplayPort 1.4 or HDMI 2.1 is required) this latest iteration of the most popular standalone movie/media player for PC is ready for the high-resolution future of 8K, as well as 360 VR, 4K, HD and more.

The software is available in three versions: Standard, Pro and Ultra. If you do not already have a version that you can upgrade, a new copy costs $59.99 (Standard), $79.99 (Pro) or $99.99 (Ultra). Upgrading to Ultra costs 49.99. Alternatively, PowerDVD Live offers Software through subscription, $14.99 for three months or $44.99 for 12 months gets you all the features of PowerDVD 19 Ultra.

Exclusive to PowerDVD 19 Ultra and PowerDVD Live are "TV Mode and Casting" capabilities that include 8K video playback, optimized 4K playback, casting to FireTV, Chromecast, Apple TV and Roku, with or without Cyberlink's optional "TrueTheater" enhancements.

Extremely broad video and audio format support is part of the PowerDVD 19 package. Another nicety is the ability to "pin and play" YouTube content, including 360 and 3D 360, HDR video, HD and 4K content. Enjoy the YouTube video you want, when you want, without need for an Internet connection.

The PowerDVD 19 Ultra feature list is a mile long, check it out here.

The "Ultra" designation is quite literal, it is what you need if you want to watch Ultra HD Blu-ray, the other versions don't support it. Another feature exclusive to the ultra version is ISO file playback. The same goes for 3D DVD playback, only power DVD 19 Ultra supports it.

“Being the World’s No. 1 movie and media player, PowerDVD has a long history of delivering pioneering multimedia playback features, functions and support to our millions of users,” said Dr. Jau Huang, CEO of CyberLink. “PowerDVD 19’s support for 8K video playback welcomes the next generation in ultra high-definition home entertainment.”

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 04-16-2019, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 400
i have powerdvd ultra 18, pinning youtube vids and playing them offline is fine, but have they fixed the broken playback from youtube, on my 18 edition, like 80% yt videos on my playlist don't play, a circle keeps spinning then comes a message powerdvd cannot play this video, click this link to play the video in your browser. that's annoying when you're looking to play some compressed videos on yt with true theater enhancements. Secondly, the hdr playback , using a 8th gen intel i5 processor, nividia pascal graphics cards, 16gb ram on my windows10 pc was anything but smooth with powerdvd 18, way too much stuttering, i couldnt watch many hdr movies. MPC-HC with madVR can play hdr movies very smoothly with older hardware. I want to know if they fixed the hdr playback on powerdvd 19.
post #3 of 47 Old 04-17-2019, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
i have powerdvd ultra 18, pinning youtube vids and playing them offline is fine, but have they fixed the broken playback from youtube, on my 18 edition, like 80% yt videos on my playlist don't play, a circle keeps spinning then comes a message powerdvd cannot play this video, click this link to play the video in your browser. that's annoying when you're looking to play some compressed videos on yt with true theater enhancements. Secondly, the hdr playback , using a 8th gen intel i5 processor, nividia pascal graphics cards, 16gb ram on my windows10 pc was anything but smooth with powerdvd 18, way too much stuttering, i couldnt watch many hdr movies. MPC-HC with madVR can play hdr movies very smoothly with older hardware. I want to know if they fixed the hdr playback on powerdvd 19.
I'm going to give it a shot. It's been so long since I've tried PowerDVD that I have no idea what to expect. What I do have is five different PCs to try with; Everything from a slim travel laptop to the DIY gaming PC. Also, an Intel NUC, and soon I expect to give a Zotac compact HTCP a shot. too. Plus a Gigabyte gaming laptop.

I don't want to sound nostalgic, but I do hope that home theater PCs can make come back. At the end of the day, a "proper" PC is arguably the most powerful and flexible computing platform available to consumers. There is no good reason that PCs aren't the premier platform for home theater AV playback. I mean, I know that they sort of are if you know what you are doing, but I mean at a consumer level with no-brainer ease of use.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 Old 04-17-2019, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 164
I hope that you can use it to play 4k or 8k without using the silly integrated intel graphics.
Tanquen likes this.

Media Room: LG oled65c7, Marantz AV8805, Sherbourn 7/2100, Emotiva A-300, Studer A80, Studer Revox b795, Nakamichi RX-202, HTPC, exaSound e38, Sweetvinyl Sugarcube SC-2, (2) Piega P10, Piega Coax Center, (6) Piega AP 1.2, Hsu VTF-15h mk2
Office: Emotiva mini-x A100, Geek Pulse, (2) KEF LS-50, Goldenear FF 4, PC, NAS 130TB
Bedroom: Panasonic TCP55vt35, Marantz NR1200, Dune 3 Prime, (2) Elac Uni-Fi UB5
post #5 of 47 Old 04-18-2019, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post
I hope that you can use it to play 4k or 8k without using the silly integrated intel graphics.
I'm going to find out soon. I got a high performance barebones PC from Zotac I'll get that going and run the new software and see what happens. Won't be long before I have an 8K TV and a PC with HDMi 2.1 just looking for a way to make it happen.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #6 of 47 Old 04-21-2019, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1075 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I'm going to find out soon. I got a high performance barebones PC from Zotac I'll get that going and run the new software and see what happens. Won't be long before I have an 8K TV and a PC with HDMi 2.1 just looking for a way to make it happen.
It's not totally clear, but it looks like you will be able to use a GTX card for hardware acceleration, which makes sense since no CPU graphics would have the guts to deal with 8K and HDR, or even 4K HDR for that matter.

With that said, I think it still will be necessary to have all the other DRM malarkey in place _ unfortunately.
It would be nice just to be able to use a dedicated graphics, but from what is listed, it doesn't look like it.

Click on the PowerDVD 19 Ultra/Live tile.

https://www.cyberlink.com/products/p...pec_en_CA.html
post #7 of 47 Old 04-21-2019, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
i'd really like to be able to use my htpc for 4k bluray, but can i stream high-end formats like dolby atmos with powerdvd? it looks like a computer can't be used for that... there is less incentive to use htpc in today's environment.

The following devices support Dolby Atmos with Netflix. For exact device models with Dolby Atmos available, please visit the device manufacturer's website.

Apple TV 4K (requires tvOS 12 or later)

LG OLED TVs (2017 or newer models)

Panasonic TVs (2019 or newer models)

Pixela 4K Smart Tuner

Roku TVs (2018 or newer models)

Sony BRAVIA Android TVs (2018 or newer models)

Toshiba TVs (2019 or newer models)

Vizio TVs (2018 or newer models)

Windows 10 computer or tablet (requires Windows 10 RS3 Build 16299 or later)

Xbox One, Xbox One S, and Xbox One X
post #8 of 47 Old 04-22-2019, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by osv1 View Post
i'd really like to be able to use my htpc for 4k bluray, but can i stream high-end formats like dolby atmos with powerdvd? it looks like a computer can't be used for that... there is less incentive to use htpc in today's environment.

The following devices support Dolby Atmos with Netflix. For exact device models with Dolby Atmos available, please visit the device manufacturer's website.

Apple TV 4K (requires tvOS 12 or later)

LG OLED TVs (2017 or newer models)

Panasonic TVs (2019 or newer models)

Pixela 4K Smart Tuner

Roku TVs (2018 or newer models)

Sony BRAVIA Android TVs (2018 or newer models)

Toshiba TVs (2019 or newer models)

Vizio TVs (2018 or newer models)

Windows 10 computer or tablet (requires Windows 10 RS3 Build 16299 or later)

Xbox One, Xbox One S, and Xbox One X
The 2016 LG e6p allows the audio tack to be sent to an AVR unmolested for decoding. So, while the post is correct there is a built in work around. That may be true for other TVs as well.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #9 of 47 Old 04-22-2019, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Please let us know what you find out.

From the specs on the site, 4K-UHD Blu-ray playback is still limited to 7th Gen KabyLake and above processors with Intel Integrated graphics.

If true, that is a deal breaker for me.
Tanquen likes this.

My HT and the thrill of getting new equipment.
post #10 of 47 Old 04-22-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
The 2016 LG e6p allows the audio tack to be sent to an AVR unmolested for decoding. So, while the post is correct there is a built in work around. That may be true for other TVs as well.
it's not hdmi 2.1, so no earc, and it won't have the full bandwidth capacity... not so much an issue wrt netflix/amazon, since those formats are already compressed, but in general, i don't want to route htpc output to a monitor first, then back down to the avr.

4k streaming is putting a big nail in the htpc coffin, and it's a bummer.
post #11 of 47 Old 04-22-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiyosaya View Post
Please let us know what you find out.

From the specs on the site, 4K-UHD Blu-ray playback is still limited to 7th Gen KabyLake and above processors with Intel Integrated graphics.

If true, that is a deal breaker for me.
so nothing much has changed, i still can't use my amd cpu/gpu.
Tanquen likes this.
post #12 of 47 Old 04-22-2019, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
...which makes sense since no CPU graphics would have the guts to deal with 8K and HDR, or even 4K HDR for that matter.

With that said, I think it still will be necessary to have all the other DRM malarkey in place _ unfortunately.
It would be nice just to be able to use a dedicated graphics, but from what is listed, it doesn't look like it.

[/url]
Why would the new i7-9700 not cut it for 4k HDR? I was looking at that chip for a new build specifically for 4k HDR playback. (Would really like the i5-9400 to make it a but more budget friendly, or maybe the i5-9600).

You think they'll have trouble spinning a disc or mkv file playback for 4k HDR?

Video: Epson 5050 / nVidia Shield / OPPO-103
Audio: Marantz 7010 / MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), 50XT (center), M2 (surrounds)
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
NAS: Synology 1515+ Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
post #13 of 47 Old 04-22-2019, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckronengold View Post
Why would the new i7-9700 not cut it for 4k HDR? I was looking at that chip for a new build specifically for 4k HDR playback. (Would really like the i5-9400 to make it a but more budget friendly, or maybe the i5-9600).

You think they'll have trouble spinning a disc or mkv file playback for 4k HDR?
It probably would be OK, I'm, just speaking when Cyberlink first came out with 4K UHD playback option.
Everyone was complaining that the first CPU chips could barely get the job done.

Something I never did understand about playing an UHD disc on a computer, unless one can use MadVR, what is the advantage ?
Here in Canada the i7-9700 is around 500 bucks and that's just for the CPU, why not just go out and by a stand-alone player ?

And if you're going to a MKV file, that to me will most likely be a decrypted file/disc, so why not just use your GPU ?
post #14 of 47 Old 04-22-2019, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It probably would be OK, I'm, just speaking when Cyberlink first came out with 4K UHD playback option.
Everyone was complaining that the first CPU chips could barely get the job done.

Something I never did understand about playing an UHD disc on a computer, unless one can use MadVR, what is the advantage ?
Here in Canada the i7-9700 is around 500 bucks and that's just for the CPU, why not just go out and by a stand-alone player ?

And if you're going to a MKV file, that to me will most likely be a decrypted file/disc, so why not just use your GPU ?
All good questions that I hadn't really considered. Personally, I'm new to the 4k/HDR world (like 3 days), so I'm just starting to discover some of the technical limitations and hurdles that come along with it, like Roku Ultra and Chromecast Ultra not playing TrueHD or DTSX audio.

I've had a HTPC for a decade+, and it just seemed like something I'd have. Since it was time to upgrade from my i5-750, Radeon 5850 rig, I figured I'd go 4k compatible.

I was going to buy the Panasonic 820 disc player, but it is not good at playing files off a network, which is how my set up mostly runs. So that pushed me back to the HTPC road for now.

I just started playing around with MadVR and haven't learned the extent of its capabilities. I've got just enough understanding to be stupid about how I spend my budget, which, thankfully, this forum is great at helping.

In the short term, I ordered an nVidia Shield to solve my network problem while I wait to figure out next steps on a player or HTPC upgrade.

post #15 of 47 Old 04-22-2019, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
All good questions that I hadn't really considered. Personally, I'm new to the 4k/HDR world (like 3 days), so I'm just starting to discover some of the technical limitations and hurdles that come along with it, like Roku Ultra and Chromecast Ultra not playing TrueHD or DTSX audio.

I've had a HTPC for a decade+, and it just seemed like something I'd have. Since it was time to upgrade from my i5-750, Radeon 5850 rig, I figured I'd go 4k compatible.

I was going to buy the Panasonic 820 disc player, but it is not good at playing files off a network, which is how my set up mostly runs. So that pushed me back to the HTPC road for now.

I just started playing around with MadVR and haven't learned the extent of its capabilities. I've got just enough understanding to be stupid about how I spend my budget, which, thankfully, this forum is great at helping.

In the short term, I ordered an nVidia Shield to solve my network problem while I wait to figure out next steps on a player or HTPC upgrade.
See this link, when using MadVR, the CPU plays very little in its use, all the heavy lifting is don't by the GPU.
Click on the link inside the link too, "Complete MadVR Set Up".
I suppose the most important one in there are the 4 choices for HDR depending on your display, "let MadVR decide" is probably the simplest.
That setting will enable MadVR to automatically detect if your display is HDR compatible or just SDR.
Beyond that, I leave things at their default settings and if I change something, I do one thing at a time and learn what that specific setting does.
Many people change too many things all at once, not understanding what they do and in the end they may get choppy playback, bad HDR, bad colour, on and on.
They've made so many changes, it's impossible to know where one went wrong _ so one at a time.

I'm running a 1080ti and it's working hard, but not maxing it out, I could turn up the settings like chroma upscaling and push it over the edge though.
I'm an NVIDIA guy, so I don't know what the equivalent is to that when it comes to AMD/Radeon.

All of the above is good for playing decrypted 4K discs, when it comes to streaming, ROKU and all the other stuff is OK for your CPU because all that's compressed anyway.
It depends what's important to you.

Here's the NVIDA Shield thread, you have some home work to do.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-ho...iscussion.html

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-ho...tpc-madvr.html
post #16 of 47 Old 04-22-2019, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 202
The simple answer is though your nvidia or AMD card have the power they are never going to be allowed to handle UHD disc video due to a hardware copy-protection path added just for UHD Blu-Ray. Here is what I sent a friend when PowerDVD 17 came out. The sad thing is that nothing has changed in 2 years! So that's three versions (17, 18 & now 19) that can't use your video card. It's Intel graphics or nothing.

You'll need one of these...
https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...ves/BDR-211UBK

Not to mention an HDR capable 4K monitor.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11240/...eesync-for-999

Oh and you'll probably need a new motherboard and CPU....
http://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq...9860&isDraft=1

Your brand new Nvidia or AMD video card will not work also even though they have HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 which was supposed to be enough for this. Sounds great, right? Sign me up...
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11266/...vr-hmd-support
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11069/...bdrs11j-drives
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=287599

Home Theater 5.1 Setup: Marantz AV8805, Sunfire TGA-7401, Monitor Audio Gold GX300 Front/Rear, Monitor Audio Gold GXC 350 Center, Rythmik Audio G25HP, Oppo UDP-203, Samsung PN64F8500
PC Audio 5.1 Setup: Denon AVR-X3300W, Monitor Audio Gold GX100 Front/Rear, Monitor Audio Gold GXC 150 Center, Rythmik Audio F12SE
post #17 of 47 Old 04-22-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Bechtold View Post
The simple answer is though your nvidia or AMD card have the power they are never going to be allowed to handle UHD disc video due to a hardware copy-protection path added just for UHD Blu-Ray. Here is what I sent a friend when PowerDVD 17 came out. The sad thing is that nothing has changed in 2 years! So that's three versions (17, 18 & now 19) that can't use your video card. It's Intel graphics or nothing.

You'll need one of these...
https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...ves/BDR-211UBK

Not to mention an HDR capable 4K monitor.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11240/...eesync-for-999

Oh and you'll probably need a new motherboard and CPU....
http://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq...9860&isDraft=1

Your brand new Nvidia or AMD video card will not work also even though they have HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 which was supposed to be enough for this. Sounds great, right? Sign me up...
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11266/...vr-hmd-support
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11069/...bdrs11j-drives
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=287599
It seems that the 4K-UHD BR giants just could not resist shooting themselves in the foot when it comes to those of us with HTPCs.

post #18 of 47 Old 04-22-2019, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 338
I like PowerDVD because it supports my 2D and 3D SDR iso rips with menus and although it's a software player, it presents just like a standalone hardware player. I prefer my rips vs my discs because the backup 1:1 rips are on my PC and easier to access than the discs that are offsite for protection. Even if they were onsite I'd rather not fumble with the discs preferring the files that are just a remote click away and cataloged nicely in the front end Kodi v.19. I also have no need for a standalone player this way. Just do everything via the PC which imo is once again dominant worthy for home theatre considerations.

It's my understanding PowerDVD doesn't require any special hardware to meet 1080p requirements from the MPAA in order to obtain a license to sell their product every year either, unlike UHD which is stricter. So 3D and HD 1080p Blu-ray are unaffected. At times I use other software players and software components for 3D and HD playback but without full menus and main movie only which limits a lot of the Blu-ray experience. Evidently none of these require licensing and is freeware. The video quality PowerDVD vs highly post processed alternatives is not tremendous on my couple year old flagship display. It is noticeable when actively looking for differences especially when seeking absolute highest quality. Imo, the average casual user would never notice unless instructed. I do use some of the algorithms PowerDVD offers in its settings to increase video quality too.

I don't have nor want the hardware requirements of PowerDVD so I also use another software player exclusively for UHD 1:1 rips providing full menus presenting exactly like and eliminating the need for a standalone player. I assume it was introduced before MPAA required licensing. Newer versions of it were revamped though so my needs require the older version which uses API's from nVidia and AMD. Otherwise, manual intervention is necessary for UHD and 3D playback using the latest releases. This software player offers no selectable video algorithms to enhance but also looks decent.

Of the 5 different software players I use, each filling the voids of the others, all produce every high bitrate audio reliably and as intended. I do not tailor my rips to fit a players requirements. On the contrary, I select players that handle my rips and take advantage of them using PowerDVD for certain conditions and the likes for others. I find PowerDVD a necessary component to help complete a diverse entertainment center. I have no problems with it now or in the past. I'm glad it's still offered although hardware requirements for UHD based around Intel only when private API's are available leaves it less desirable yet still fulfills tasks others cannot no matter the hardware used.
SuperFist and whatever_gong82 like this.

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1903 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3&5 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D / Denon S720W
post #19 of 47 Old 04-22-2019, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 20
When you play 1080p with PowerDVD it can use GPU for decoding. But if you want to use Video Enhancements (Smart or Advanced), it switches to CPU. So your powerful GPU becomes useless even for 1080p stuffs.
post #20 of 47 Old 04-23-2019, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 175
This forum has helped me in finding out how much I don't need Power DVD. I'm an old geek that bought one of the first HTPC'S that were DRM Cable Card ready.
Those DRM PC'S had to be Cable Labs certified with a serial number sticker.
Because Microsoft and Intel have created a monopoly and limited new CPU'S to Windows 10, I am stuck with 6th gen CPU, with Windows 8.1 WMC.
Microsoft and Intel should not be allowed to stop CUP support until they officially stop supporting the operating system!
post #21 of 47 Old 04-23-2019, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 646
My only interaction with PowerDVD was back when it came free with a super-expensive 2X DVD-ROM drive in like 1998 or something. At the time, my PC (AMD K6III, I think) could barely keep a solid framerate. Perhaps a year later, there were tons of better open source and homebrew application for DVD playback that were significantly better. I mean, I get it, there needs to be an officially licensed software out there for people to buy that's easy(ish) to use, but it seems like they bend over so far to appease the DRM pushers, that the software suffers immensely. Maybe PDVD19 will change that, but I have doubts.

I'm too far gone, too deep with MakeMKV, etc. at this point to ever go back. But it's not for everyone - the storage demands alone turn most people away.
post #22 of 47 Old 04-23-2019, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 2586 Post(s)
Liked: 2240
Quote:
This may help:
Michael
post #23 of 47 Old 04-23-2019, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

All of the above is good for playing decrypted 4K discs, when it comes to streaming, ROKU and all the other stuff is OK for your CPU because all that's compressed anyway.
It depends what's important to you.

Here's the NVIDA Shield thread, you have some home work to do.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-ho...iscussion.html

Well, $h!t. Those folks in the Plex forums are all hopped up on the nVidia Shield. No complaints to be found about video quality over there. There's always another forum thread rabbit hole to go down, kill productive, and instill paralysis by analysis into every purchasing decision. Gotta love Amazon's return policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

I'm too far gone, too deep with MakeMKV, etc. at this point to ever go back. But it's not for everyone - the storage demands alone turn most people away.
I'm with you. MakeMKV is eating up my NAS storage at an alarming rate. My friends have traded access to their physical discs for the convenience of streaming them on any device at any time through my Plex server, so its win win for us.

post #24 of 47 Old 04-23-2019, 11:09 AM

As I understand it, the current AMD and nVidia drivers both implement a hardware restricted path for data that is compliant with the Windows API. It is this aspect that allows Netflix, in particular, to display in 4K on PCs that have the requisite cards from either vendor.

Assuming I am correct, this hardware restricted environment would be compliant with the requirements for 4K UHD BR playback. If that is the case, then it is the folks making PowerDVD that would have to change their software for 4K UHD BR playback - making those Intel hardware requirements moot.

Someone please correct me if I am mistaken.

post #25 of 47 Old 04-23-2019, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
I'm with you. MakeMKV is eating up my NAS storage at an alarming rate. My friends have traded access to their physical discs for the convenience of streaming them on any device at any time through my Plex server, so its win win for us.
The deal is over today, but last week there was a deal at Best Buy for the WD external 10TB hard drives (WD Red 256MB cache internally) for $159 each. 10TB = 180 UHD movie backups. I run with duplication, so I bought two of them.
post #26 of 47 Old 04-23-2019, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post
The deal is over today, but last week there was a deal at Best Buy for the WD external 10TB hard drives (WD Red 256MB cache internally) for $159 each. 10TB = 180 UHD movie backups. I run with duplication, so I bought two of them.
Too bad you did not mention this when you bought them. But there will always be another sale in the future.
ckronengold likes this.

-----------------------------
Est Sularus oth Mitha
post #27 of 47 Old 04-23-2019, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1474 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightBlade View Post
Too bad you did not mention this when you bought them. But there will always be another sale in the future.
Yeah these go on sale all the time. The 8tb as well.
post #28 of 47 Old 04-23-2019, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightBlade View Post
I get an alert on these 8TB and 10TB WD Easystore unit every couple weeks from SlickDeals.
SuperFist and whatever_gong82 like this.

Well, Duncan, he's just this guy, you know?
post #29 of 47 Old 04-24-2019, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yea it's too bad they NERFED HPTC's for 4kHDR....I would have bought the gear to upgrade my PC but it seems to me that the DRM has killed it. Would have been nice if someone sold a disc drive for PC that could play all the current formats. I now just use PowerDVD for my old BluRay and DVD library that resides on my PC. It also does fine with a wide array of audio formats with my music.
post #30 of 47 Old 04-24-2019, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmit011 View Post
Yea it's too bad they NERFED HPTC's for 4kHDR....I would have bought the gear to upgrade my PC but it seems to me that the DRM has killed it. Would have been nice if someone sold a disc drive for PC that could play all the current formats. I now just use PowerDVD for my old BluRay and DVD library that resides on my PC. It also does fine with a wide array of audio formats with my music.
Plenty of UHD friendly drives. If you're building your own HTPC, you can certainly update the firmware on the drive so it will play and/or rip a UHD to your network.

Wont play SACDs though, if thats what you mean.
BrightBlade likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
cyberlink powerdvd , powerdvd 19

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page