Same window/website opens upon boot-up - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-22-2019, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Herve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,545
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Same window/website opens upon boot-up

For some reason the same firefox window of the same website pops up every time the computer is booted. I have not told Firefox or Windows to do this. How do I prevent this from happening in the future? In other words, what I want is the computer to boot up without any browser or site opening automatically -- just have the desktop staring me in the face when the computer is fully booted.

Thanks.
Herve is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 04-22-2019, 11:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Is this Windows 10? You may want to check your start-up items.
You can do so from the task manager. If FireFox shows up, disable it.
cowbodude99 is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 04-22-2019, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,142
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox, or use a different browser like Chrome.
m0j0 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 Old 04-22-2019, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
brazen1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 879
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 327
What website? Maybe malware associated with something you installed?

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1903 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D / Denon S720W
brazen1 is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 04-23-2019, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
captain_video's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 4,642
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
What website? Maybe malware associated with something you installed?

This is what I'm thinking as well. I can see where this may be possible if you do a hard boot, but a clean restart shouldn't allow this to happen under normal circumstances. You must have picked up an unwanted passenger from a site you visited or an email.
captain_video is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 04-23-2019, 05:32 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Auburn Hills, Michigan
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 94
As the others have said, I too would suspect malware.

My recommendations in this case: Malwarebytes, Windows Anti-virus (called windows defender on windows 10 I think?), and a program called CCleaner. All of those should be free. First two for malware/spamware/etc. Third one will let you easily see what's set to start when the computer starts up and toggle/remove what you don't want. This will get rid of the firefox popup, but you still want to run the first two to make sure nothing is going to just put it back again.
mushroommunk is online now  
post #7 of 9 Old 04-23-2019, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
brazen1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 879
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Recommend to use CCEnhancer prior to CCleaner.

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1903 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D / Denon S720W
brazen1 is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 04-23-2019, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Charles R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 12,526
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herve View Post
For some reason the same firefox window of the same website pops up every time the computer is booted.
Google "Firefox Windows 10 auto opens" or some such and you'll find how to turn off this "feature" within Firefox.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled PC - i7-8700K - NVMe - RTX 2080 - 4K 43" Monitor |
Charles R is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 04-23-2019, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Herve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,545
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herve View Post
For some reason the same firefox window of the same website pops up every time the computer is booted. I have not told Firefox or Windows to do this. How do I prevent this from happening in the future? In other words, what I want is the computer to boot up without any browser or site opening automatically -- just have the desktop staring me in the face when the computer is fully booted.

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbodude99 View Post
Is this Windows 10? You may want to check your start-up items.
You can do so from the task manager. If FireFox shows up, disable it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
Maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox, or use a different browser like Chrome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
What website? Maybe malware associated with something you installed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
This is what I'm thinking as well. I can see where this may be possible if you do a hard boot, but a clean restart shouldn't allow this to happen under normal circumstances. You must have picked up an unwanted passenger from a site you visited or an email.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroommunk View Post
As the others have said, I too would suspect malware.

My recommendations in this case: Malwarebytes, Windows Anti-virus (called windows defender on windows 10 I think?), and a program called CCleaner. All of those should be free. First two for malware/spamware/etc. Third one will let you easily see what's set to start when the computer starts up and toggle/remove what you don't want. This will get rid of the firefox popup, but you still want to run the first two to make sure nothing is going to just put it back again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
Recommend to use CCEnhancer prior to CCleaner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
Google "Firefox Windows 10 auto opens" or some such and you'll find how to turn off this "feature" within Firefox.
Thank you all very much for trying to resolve my computer's problem. Because my goal was to stop what was happening, unfortunately I used a shotgun approach rather than a step by step process of changing only one thing at a time, rebooting, etc. Here's what I did.

-I checked TaskManager Startup tab and Firefox was not on the list. Weird.

-I run Malwarebytes free every time I boot the computer -- usually once per day -- and it downloads the most recent definitions and scans the computer in 30 seconds. MWB has never reported a problem. I did the same today. No problem.

-I also have AVG Free and scan with that occasionally. It has also never found a problem. Today I ran AVG and it reported no problem.

-Today I installed CCleaner and CEnhancer and ran CCleaner. About 3 gb of stuff was deleted.

-I did an about:config in Firefox and switched that auto restart option to "false". (The thing is, the website that opens every day is NOT the last site that is was open when I finally close down Ff and shut down the computer!)

To make a long story short, after doing all of the above, that pesky window no longer opens on initial start. Something worked, but I have no idea which something.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I really appreciate it.
Herve is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Home Theater Computers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off