11+ year old HP Slimline will not power on at all - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-03-2019, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 69
11+ year old HP Slimline will not power on at all

The computer had not been powered up for at least a year, but it ran just fine at that time. Now I push the power button and absolutely nothing happens. Zero. NADA.

Even though the original power supply was working just fine, I swapped it with a new one about 8 years ago. I saved the old supply, just in case. Today was "just in case".

Today I re-installed the original supply (which is a royal PIA) and same result -- nothing happens when I push the power switch.

The original power supply has a green light on when it is plugged into the wall outlet which can be seen through the "grate" at the power-in end of the supply. It is on today after I plugged in the supply after today's swap.

The CMOS battery is the original. Can a worn-out CMOS battery be the cause of the computer not powering on at all?

How likely is it that the power switch, which worked perfectly fine a year ago, would suddenly fail even though it is not being pushed? I'm thinking very unlikely.

Could the MB suddenly fail in such a way that the computer does not even power on at all?

Any suggestions on what the problem could be?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-03-2019, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I just tested the power switch. It works just fine.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-03-2019, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Are the front panel connections to the motherboard actually connected? Make sure all other connections are securely attached to the motherboard (i.e., main power supply connector, 4 or 8-pin power supply connector, memory properly seated, CPU installed properly, SATA cables, etc.). A bad CMOS battery should not prevent it from powering up. It basically just allows the clock to stay powered so the PC knows the correct date and time.

If possible, test the memory and the CPU in another motherboard. If they test fine then it's highly likely that the original motherboard bit the dust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-03-2019, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
Are the front panel connections to the motherboard actually connected? Make sure all other connections are securely attached to the motherboard (i.e., main power supply connector, 4 or 8-pin power supply connector, memory properly seated, CPU installed properly, SATA cables, etc.). A bad CMOS battery should not prevent it from powering up. It basically just allows the clock to stay powered so the PC knows the correct date and time.

If possible, test the memory and the CPU in another motherboard. If they test fine then it's highly likely that the original motherboard bit the dust.
I verified all connections are actually connected. I had to remove the HD and HD DVD/Blu Ray combo drive (yes, it's that old) to be able to remove the power supply, so I made sure the data cable and power connector to the HD and combo were securely connected when I re-assembled.

I won't be able to test the memory and CPU in another motherboard. I should have mentioned that this is a very early Vista computer.

I suppose it is possible that the MB fried the very instant I pushed the power button yesterday, but there was absolutely no indication of this anywhere I could see on the computer. Isn't a MB failure usually accompanied by the infamous "blue screen of death"? Again, when I push the tested-good power button, absolutely nothing happens. Weird. I've never had a failure like this in any computer I've ever owned and I've owned quite a few desktops.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-03-2019, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Does a keyboard and mouse have to be connected to the computer for it to at least power on? I believe it does not, but I'm not positive. I'm using a wireless keyboard with built-in mouse and it is possible the batteries are dead, but, again, I believe that the computer should give at least some indication that the power button is pushed even though the keyboard/mouse may not be connected. Tell me if I'm wrong.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-04-2019, 01:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Any shorted component can cause it not to power up. Remove everything from the mother board, if it has more then 1 memory stick remove all but 1. It should spin up the fans and at least stay running with just motherboard, 1 stick of memory and PS connected. If it still fails swap the memory stick with another one. If the fans still don't spin up it's most likely the motherboard. Electronics don't fair well from lack of use so it is even possible both PS are bad.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #7 of 9 Old 05-04-2019, 01:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Unplug the power supply connector from the motherboard. On that connector will have one pin with a green wire on it. Connect that pin to a black wire. If that causes the power supply to turn on, then the supply is good.

It's possible the motherboard is dead - or perhaps the standby voltages are gone on the supply. (Shorting the green wire turns on he main supply, but the motherboard circuits that do that are powered by the standby power)

And no, a dead motherboard can present itself in many different ways. Including failing to power on.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-04-2019, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
Any shorted component can cause it not to power up. Remove everything from the mother board, if it has more then 1 memory stick remove all but 1. It should spin up the fans and at least stay running with just motherboard, 1 stick of memory and PS connected. If it still fails swap the memory stick with another one. If the fans still don't spin up it's most likely the motherboard. Electronics don't fair well from lack of use so it is even possible both PS are bad.

I guess that it indeed possible that BOTH power supplies are now bad. I guess capacitors can go bad just sitting on a shelf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Unplug the power supply connector from the motherboard. On that connector will have one pin with a green wire on it. Connect that pin to a black wire. If that causes the power supply to turn on, then the supply is good.

It's possible the motherboard is dead - or perhaps the standby voltages are gone on the supply. (Shorting the green wire turns on he main supply, but the motherboard circuits that do that are powered by the standby power)

And no, a dead motherboard can present itself in many different ways. Including failing to power on.
Just to clarify what you've said, the multi-wire plug coming out of the PS will have a green wire. On this connector on both PSs there are "female" connectors that are surrounded by "male plastic pins" which plug into the connector on the MB. There are also several black wires which come out of the PS that, together with a two or three other colored wires, connect to several plastic "male" connectors which plug into the HD, combo drive, etc.

Is what you are saying that I should shove a stripped wire into the female connector which is fed by the green wire on the PS and then connect the other end of that stripped wire into the female connector on any "male" plastic connector's black wire? (I'll use a vinyl-insulated wire and strip say 3/8" off each end.) Does the PS have to be connected to any part of the computer at all? That is, I have one of the PSs completely outside of the computer. Can I do your test by plugging the wire with the stripped ends into those aforementioned ports and simply plug the PS into the wall outlet by the usual arrangement and see of the PS powers on (cooling fan will turn on)?

Thanks.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-04-2019, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I tested both PSs by jumpering green and black on the PSs' MB connectors. In short, when I plugged both PSs into a wall outlet, the fans on both PSs turned on.

I removed 1 RAM stick after the other, checking to see of the PS would turn on. It did not.

I re-checked the power switch plus cable to the MB by removing the connector from the MB and checking continuity between the red and black wires when the switch was pushed. The wires were just fine.

I removed the the power line to the combo drive as well as the HD; the PS would still not power on.

I believe the MB failed, so I removed and disassembled the HD. This great computer will be heading to the Eco Station.

The End

Thanks for all your assistance. I appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page